Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #185
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Exclamation Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknbank View Post
Rover 200ES/X

What a machine! Had the old girl for 30 years next month (purchased from K-Mart on the 27/1/89, $459). Other than the normal changing of blades, oil, filters, starter cords etc., the engine has never been apart, nor off the chassis. I did change the air filter assembly recently though. Removed the paper element filter (useless) from the handle/grip bar and replaced it with an oil impregnated foam filter unit. The local Stihl dealer gave it to me for nothing when I was in there one day for something else.

One thing however that I've always done, is to let it warm up for a couple of minutes before ripping into it. Maybe it helped things a little, maybe it didn't. I never imagined though that the little old Rover (B&S engine) would be so reliable and still be going strong 30 years down the track. May it last another 30!

......and speaking of mowing, just about everyone cuts their lawn far too short. Raise things a couple of notches next time you're out there and be a little kinder to the lawn!
My father and I rebuilt one of those 3.5hp Briggs engines on a red Morriosn when I was about 12. Blew the rings after plenty of abuse and started blowing blue smoke. We striped it down, ordered the parts, put it back together and got another few years out of it. This was a mower that was held together with wire, tech screws, welded up where needed, mismatched wheels. Dad wasn't into mowing lawns and the mower was the last thing he wanted to spend money on. I learnt about how engines work by doing this with the old man and I'm pretty sure it's explains my obsession with all things mowing. It also taught me what not to do, in other words look after your equipment from day dot.

The B&S side valve engines from that era would rev HARD unlike the later versions that seemed like there was little difference between low and full throttle.

Also +1 for not mowing too low. Too hard on the body and equipment.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: