View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Aged Care with Home Care Packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
It's sad that as a culture we don't want to have our oldfolks around.
I want to stay around my kids (and hopefully grandkids) provided I'm not too much of a burden. If, for whatever reason, I wind up physically incapacitated, then I'm not sure what I'll do. Maybe just sail off into the sunset.

I think part of the problem with aged care facilities, is that its a downward spiral. Residents become increasingly vegetative and immobile, so they lose muscle and bone-density, spend increasing time either in bed or their chairs, start to develop other problems such as pressure sores, and so on it goes.

Dementia of course is a whole other issue. I think that's the one I fear most, not being in control of my brain.
Its really hard depending on your situation.

While he drives me mad most days (we are just different people), we bought my old man a caravan so as we have moved over the past few years he can move with us.

Mutual benefit at the moment, his helping with the school pick ups etc, not sure what we would do without it at the moment. But as he starts to have health issues (already knees and eyes needing work) we will need to be a bit more flexible. He is 70ish so hopefully we have a few more years before we need to work out a longer term solution.

But I agree, if possible, having them around and active is not only useful for the economy but also better in general for our kids (as long as he stops regurgitating tabloid news to the kids) and helps with the career.

His on the pension a bit and struggling, so we help out, it would be good if he could somehow get some benefit from Govco as well. Doesnt have to be much but he would do 4 hours per day of care for the kids + transport so we recognize there are costs with that, most nights he has dinner with us too as its something we can offer that makes a little difference.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote