View Single Post
Old 14-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #19
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

mmmmmmmmm.........ok...where do we start?

Any argument is based on assumptions. So lets start there.

Guym, you say that large car market is in trouble. Is it in trouble? Well of course it is in trouble. But what is "trouble"?

I can think of atleast 2 kinds of trouble

Trouble that says "manufacturers of all large cars shud drop them and move to smaller lighter, efficient cars"

and

Trouble that says " manufacturers of all large cars better get their acts together and make their large cars efficient and more exciting"

I think in fords case its trouble number 2. Falcons sales drop is not just becuase if rising fuel prices, but also because the new commodore and Aurion, to a certain extent, have bitten into its share

People are emotionally attached to any strong brand like falcon or commodore. It takes years, or in this case, decades, to build that sort of connection. Killing such a brand is, in peoples minds, MURDER.

Do you think that after that, aussies would even go anywhere near a ford? Yes they would !! But they are people like you and me who dont have an emotional side to brand loyalty. (Brand loyalty can be based on different factors like perceived value, risk avoidance, emotional attachment etc.) I think ppl like us are few and far between.

On the other side you dont seem to understand the enormity of starting-to-make-a-new-car here. The investment required for the infrastructure and knowledge-base development is just too big, even for ford. What ford is doing in bringing mondeo here is having a feel for the market for such a car. If they see a huge market for it, they might consider building it here. Building them here straight-away in a hope that people will move to a smaller car is bungee jumping without a rope. But as you say the future is definitely pointing towards more efficient cars ( Small or big)

Finally, everyone very much has a right to have an opinion. The right to make others buy it - Nobody does

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Not too soon : Focus sport/Borla Exhaust, Throttle body

1lifeliveit is offline   Reply With Quote