View Single Post
Old 29-02-2024, 10:45 AM   #19
prydey
Rob

Default Re: 10 years since the last nail in the coffin for Australian vehicle production

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
The real disappointment to me was that Head Office never allowed decent export sales. Both Falcon and Territory would have sole well in other RHD countries if we could have supplied in volume. I honestly don't think it would have changed the end result, but just possibly the additional export revenue may have funded a life extension for Barra
Would they have sold well?

I don't think exports would have worked. For the most part they would need to be sold at a loss overseas due to our high cost of manufacturing. Other rhd countries also have import taxes and regulations on engine size.

It's my belief that on the whole, due to society becoming ever more selfish, that the general populace could never understand that to have an auto manufacturing industry it needs to be protected and supported. Whether this is with subsidies and tariffs or both and the product needs to be high volume with our small population. Not many could stomach the industry being propped up in that way or imports being taxed to level the playing field.

The end result is what we have.

Having said that the parent companies are very much to blame as well. When the industry was protected in the early days they took advantage. The standard and equipment level of local products slipped well behind global offerings. Once tariffs were removed the public voted with their wallets.

I don't think there is any party that can absolve themselves from what eventually happened.