View Single Post
Old 15-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #89
Deech
Making smalltorque

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
1. You perks/benefits of owning a business outweigh anything with the word handout in it.
Like the perk where you get to outlay, say, $100k in start-up costs, then on the first day, sell maybe $1000 in goods or services, followed by spending more than that on wages, taxes, insurances, repayments on the $100k business loan followed by the million other costs associated in making your negative ~$110k profit for the day, while working harder than any of your employees?
This is before going home to lay awake at night, pooing cinder blocks thinking about how you're going to pay back those ever-growing debts, while spending the same as everyone else keeping your family fed, car going and mortgage paid?
Then repeat the process for a very long time before you can even begin to breathe, let alone make a healthy profit margin, before being branded a horrible capitalist in the expert eyes of the 20-something employee you took a chance on in the first place? I'm definitely jealous of that perk.

I'm probably from a similar background to you. Truth be told, I'm in my 20's (yep, Generation Y), study full time, and get my money by working for a smallish -under 20 employees- company that now turns a healthy profit. I'm well aware of the fact my boss drives a much nicer car, and lives in a much nicer house than I.
I do however think my boss, like all small business owners, is the salt of the earth to have stuck his neck out so far to provide me an opportunity to work, earn money and generally have much smaller things to worry about.

Ever heard the expression; "Fortune favours the bold"?
When your engine bay catches alight, you try and convince the police that it came that way from the factory. They believe you and leave.
Deech is offline   Reply With Quote