Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Today, 08:26 AM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Have some interesting questions about way todays world is

Hi

have some interesting questions and wanted to get your thoughts.

1. why does it seem like people no longer care about the elderly and what ages are worse? Would it be because the current elderly are probably only going to be around a few more years and people don’t see point?

2. when someone is trying to back out car parks why do people rush through or pull out or just walk behind when they can see you’re trying to get in or out?

3. why does it seem that people these days feel entitled? What ages or younger seem worse and why? Was talking to a aunt and she thinks it’s probably people early 50s and under.

5. why does it seem like people loose patience on roads and shops? What would cause that and is there certain age? It seems middle aged and younger.

6. why do current youths seem entitled and gen z around place (do know the parents would be 70s gen x and 80s gen y).

7. why do current youths seem entitled in schools (do know the parents would be 70s gen x and 80s gen y).

8. why does it seem like both parents have to work full time now and not try make do with one full time and one part time income like people used to do, do know people that still do that and make it work.
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 09:58 AM   #2
Toiler
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Have some interesting questions about way todays world is

Many of your points can be summarised under the heading of increasing lack of empathy for others in our society and/or an increasing number of sociopaths. Why - I do not know. I have suspicions only.
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #3
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
8. why does it seem like both parents have to work full time now and not try make do with one full time and one part time income like people used to do, do know people that still do that and make it work.
I will get shot down for this , but people are greedier these days, my generation and those before were quite happy to do with less and play the long game. Young people now want (not need, but WANT) everything NOW, even if it means having a debt that keeps them awake at night. We played the long game.
Old Today, 11:48 AM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
Quote:
Australia’s median house price has hit a record $1.113 million, as the latest data reveals a mixed capital-city market with staggering price growth in Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and Sydney, and a decline in Melbourne.
https://www.domain.com.au/news/austr...llion-1279498/

Quote:
What Is The Median Salary In Australia?

Average salary figures are great for creating sensationalist headlines but are poor at providing meaningful insights.

Median income figures paint a very different picture.

If we instead turn to the median — the exact middle number in a range — we find a typical average income for employed Australians is closer to $56,547 (based on ABS data from 2020-21).
https://arielle.com.au/average-australian-salary/
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 12:04 PM   #5
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I heard the latest news headline about average incomes I thought...absolutely no way and this article you have linked explains it well..The problem is which number, average or median is used by those in power when they make decisions because the wrong decision effects and hurts....

And anyone in small business/self-employed only knows too well what advice their accountants provide which would also cause an artificially lower personal income number as part of that persons/businesses tax minimisation plans...

I know a family friend on my wifes side, CEO of a industrial company that started on $2million base salary 10 years ago.....I'd guess he earned more than 3/4 his combined relatives after inc bonuses etc.. at his child's birthday party...if you took the average wage or median wage in that function I'd want to be closer to the average wage number
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 12:35 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

People in general only care about 1 thing and thats themselves, if, in order to achieve what they want/need, impacts others negatively then its just bad luck, zero consideration is given for others.
If adults conduct themselves in that manner then its hardly suprising that kids pick up those attitudes which only get worse with each generation.

Why does it get worse, because in order to not only have nice things but simply survive in Australia with a roof over your head and food on the table it takes 2 wages and when you have 2 wages you have an absence of parental control in the home.

But hey, I may have to pay $4.50 for a can of coke but the rent on my investment property went up 150% this year and the capital gains on my PPOR lets me fund my new Taicab and mcmansionvan
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 12:43 PM   #7
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I will get shot down for this , but people are greedier these days, my generation and those before were quite happy to do with less and play the long game. Young people now want (not need, but WANT) everything NOW, even if it means having a debt that keeps them awake at night. We played the long game.
When you say young people what ages in particular?

What is reason why people don’t care about elderly anymore and is there a particular generation and age group, would it be because they don’t see point as they will only be around a few more years given their age now, it is sad people see it that way.

A aunt thinks it’s people around early 50s and under and another aunts friend thinks similar
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 01:27 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
When I heard the latest news headline about average incomes I thought...absolutely no way and this article you have linked explains it well..The problem is which number, average or median is used by those in power when they make decisions because the wrong decision effects and hurts....

And anyone in small business/self-employed only knows too well what advice their accountants provide which would also cause an artificially lower personal income number as part of that persons/businesses tax minimisation plans...

I know a family friend on my wifes side, CEO of a industrial company that started on $2million base salary 10 years ago.....I'd guess he earned more than 3/4 his combined relatives after inc bonuses etc.. at his child's birthday party...if you took the average wage or median wage in that function I'd want to be closer to the average wage number
Yep, that's why I was careful to compare median to median, rather than median to average

Imagine servicing an $800,000+ mortgage, the problem is on the median wage you'd be able to borrow $300K-$350K maximum, bit short of the $1.13M you need for a house.

Be lucky to get a 1 bedroom shoebox 60m2 apartment for that.

Hell even here in shitsville you need $800K for house and land package.

Couldn't give a **** what my oldies do - I want them to enjoy the last 1/3rd of their lives because they didn't enjoy the first 2/3rds that's for sure.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 01:29 PM   #9
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch
Donating Member3

Critiquing the young is hardly a new sport.

`The children now love luxury; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are tyrants, not servants of the households. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize over their teachers.'

(Commonly attributed to SOCRATES by Plato, according to William L. Patty and Louise S. Johnson, Personality and Adjustment, p. 277 (1953)

As i recall, there is an age cohort that self branded as the Me generation. But questioning their preferences is verboten, apparently.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...l-handbag.html

Here for the TLDR crowd:
https://www.arkhaven.com/comics/come...92-inheritance

I'll get the popcorn. Take your time.

Last edited by anobserver; Today at 01:31 PM. Reason: Afterthought
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Today, 03:26 PM   #10
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I truly don't think anything is any different to what it's always been. People have always been selfish and greedy. The difference is that now, we are bombarded 24/7 with examples from all around the world, so it simply seems things are 'worse'
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old Today, 05:32 PM   #11
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the definition of "elderly"? For me its 80+. I would challenge the notion that people no longer care about the elderly. We stayed isolated for 2 years to protect the elderly. 90% of the people did it without bitching and moaning...too much.

The rest is a product of society as a whole. Its how each generation has raised the next. What do you get taught as a kid? Who is the most important person in the world?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: