Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #1
allan
Starter Motor

Default Radio Pin Code

Hi all. I'm still stuffing around with the power ariel fitting, I'll get to it one day! I'm probably going to have to remove the radio and with a bit of searching I've found a 4 digit number in the owner info in the manual and I have to assume (every time I assume something it turns to crap) that it's the radio pin code.
Is there a way to check if it is the pin without killing the radio?

BTW, my local Ford dealer wants to charge me a fee (they couldn't tell how much!)if I go in person and talk to their service manager. These radios must be ultra expensive to go to these lengths on security!

allan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess the only way to check is to disconnect the battery. But the only 4 code pin would be the radio. I'm almost certain.

I'd call Ford Customer Service in Melbourne. They would be able to let you know over the phone I imagine.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
EFDream
XRR83D

If you punch in the wrong code it'll let you put it in again. If you put the wrong one in too many times you just have to wait for it to clear. I Didn't have the code when I bought the car so I went to Ford and they did it for free. All they wanted was the proff of ownership and 5 mins later I was happy. Don't know why they'd want to charge?

2007 Suzuki Swift - Pearl Red
Povo Pack

EFDream is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
allan
Starter Motor

Thanks guys, I'll give Ford Melbourne a try. As for wanting to charge for the code I can only suppose that it's easy money for the service department!
allan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 12:22 AM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

if none of the 4 digits are higher than a 6 (so numbers 1-6 only) then its almost certainly the pin for the radio.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 04:27 AM   #6
plext
Forum Director

The radio itself is not so much ultra expensive as much as the dashboard around it, which your local junkie/loser/whatever will be pleased to break to remove said radio if it did not have the code.

Rewriting the code is not really an option unless you have the appropriate eprom writer and the required software, neither of which will be turning up on torrentspy/ebay anytime soon.

The normal routine is to ensure that the car you buy has the code with it, or demand an appropriate reduction in price to replace the head should the power be cut at any stage.

To gain access to the code in my experience requires proving ownership of the vehicle, which naturally entails the showing of documents. Sad to say, but you will be unlikely to get this over the phone or for free.

Sign of the times, but it does protect the majority from the horror of a smashed dashboard in the name of feeding some habit somewhere.

Either pay the fee to reveal the code or replace the head unit. Sucks, but it's the world we live in I'm afraid.

EDIT: Oh great........misread the first post and look stupid. Yes, I'm sure the good folk at Ford could tell you if the code you are reading is the radio code. I have usually seen it as a seperate card though which is included with the books. I will read more thoroughly in future, I promise. :/

Last edited by plext; 01-04-2006 at 04:38 AM.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The reason they are so touchy about PIN Codes is the fear of being sued by an owner for breach of privacy. That's why Ford dealers require proof of ownership.
There IS no reason really for a dealer to charge other than the fact you are paying for a Service?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
boodek
Ferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by plext
To gain access to the code in my experience requires proving ownership of the vehicle, which naturally entails the showing of documents. Sad to say, but you will be unlikely to get this over the phone or for free.
Actually...I had to reinstall the original radio in my ED before selling it (the code had been lost before I bought the car), so I rang the local dealer who asked me what the car's VIN was, then provided the code over the phone! The whole process took two minutes, and was very hassle free.
boodek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Some dealers charge, some don't. I reckon they shouldn't of course (provided you prove ownership), as it should be part of building customer service relationships.

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post