Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 16-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

Default Mondeo Tyre Availability

The Mondeo TDCi and Zetec are fitted with Goodyear Excellence 235/45 R17 97W tyres and come of course with a spacesaver spare.

I am interested in the rough price and availability of these throughout Australia as my brother had damaged an original fitment tyre on his Honda Euro and had to wait a week for a replacement tyre (in SE Qld)

Not good if one is caught midway across the Nullabour.

Also will a fullsize spare fit the boot cavity?

Sunroof
GRT046 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

My TDCi is fitted with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 235/45 R17 97W tyres. The size is very common (same as BA/BF XR6 with 17" rims) so I would think availability should be no issue. Not 100% sure but I don't think a full size will fit without having to raise the floor a little. Anyone have any recommendations on tyre pressures?
Old 16-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
BlackLS
yum

They are a lot more common than trying to get 205/50/17's that are on the Focus! You should have no problems getting that size tyre from a tyre shop.

Usually wheel well is designed to only fit a space saver so where a full size spare may fit the diameter, it will push the boot lining up. Having said that I have never looked into a Mondeo's boot.

On the Focus the tyre placard has 36 or 41 for loaded rear for the 17". I usually run 42-43 all round.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

235/45 R17 is the size that fits all BA-BF XR6, however they have a load rating of 94W from memory.

The Mondeo 97W rated Goodyears are available from any Ford Dealer, usually maximum 24 hours to order if not already in stock from any Ford Dealer.

If stuck in the mioddle of nowhere you could at least fit a 94W in extreme cases, it'd get you out of trouble, whilst not being entirely ADR compliant.
Old 16-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

www.ford.co.uk and www.ford.com.au don't mention a full sized spare option, and I've never checked to see if one would fit either.
Old 16-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

Thanks Guys ......... thats reassuring
Sunroof
Old 16-01-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
TheColonel

The UK has a full size spare option, apparently they raise the boot floor with moulded foam inserts, some people over in Europe have found these hidden under their back seats when they purchased cars with space savers... so might be worth a look, then you can go chasing a wheel to put in there.... would not like to think how much a factory spec rim is gunna cost...
Old 16-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
My TDCi is fitted with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 235/45 R17 97W tyres. The size is very common (same as BA/BF XR6 with 17" rims) so I would think availability should be no issue. Not 100% sure but I don't think a full size will fit without having to raise the floor a little. Anyone have any recommendations on tyre pressures?
I was wondering what the go is with the tyres on the mondeos. i test drove a car with the bridgestone potenzas (great tyre, but apparenlty wear out quickly??) but other cars around the place have the goodyear excellence tyres. I have noticed this with cars on the dealer floor? So what is the standard tyre then, and would their be a noticeable difference in handling??
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
The UK has a full size spare option, apparently they raise the boot floor with moulded foam inserts, some people over in Europe have found these hidden under their back seats when they purchased cars with space savers... so might be worth a look, then you can go chasing a wheel to put in there.... would not like to think how much a factory spec rim is gunna cost...
Thanks for that ....... probably won't do anything immediately but am planning to do some extended travelling next year including WA and a full size spare would then be desirable. Mind you I did some 160,000 km over 7 years in my previous AU11 Fairmont and the spare didn't leave the boot
Sunroof
Old 16-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
I had a Focus yesterday, and the foam around the spare was there all right. I would think that you would have to be pretty careful not to damage it, as it can be done pretty easily. I'd prefer to have the smaller tyre, and as an example I did 178,000 in 4.5 yrs in my BA I Futura and I never had to use the spare.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post