Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #1
NC_Steve
She needs premium dude...

Default Your experiance with paypal

I bought an item off ebay a couple of weeks ago. I paid via paypal but the item never arrived and the seller isn't answering emails. I lodged a dispute. Now I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? How long should I expect to wait until I get my money back?

NC_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Steve
I bought an item off ebay a couple of weeks ago. I paid via paypal but the item never arrived and the seller isn't answering emails. I lodged a dispute. Now I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? How long should I expect to wait until I get my money back?
dont hold your breath mate you might never get it back
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 01:29 AM   #3
Ladiesman217
I can count to potato!

Hey Steve. First, you did the right thing. The same thing happened to me once and it took about 5 weeks before the dispute ended in my favor and my money was credited back to my PayPal account with no fuss. It just takes time, but you will get your money back in the end mate.

Wil.

Ladiesman217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
xquizd
Da Boss

DAM evilbay :

Some people on there need a swift kick in the backside :evil3:

On the 6th day god created holden : On the 7th day he realised his mistake & created FORD
xquizd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 01:48 AM   #5
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steve...

You have just proven why PayPal is THE payment system to use.

Had you paid via direct deposit or any other means, you would definitely have lost your money.

With the number of disputes that would occur everyday, just give it time.

I've used PayPal for a few months now and have had no problems.
You dealt with a bad egg...bad luck.

Don't let one jerk put you off.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Steve...

You have just proven why PayPal is THE payment system to use.

Had you paid via direct deposit or any other means, you would definitely have lost your money.

With the number of disputes that would occur everyday, just give it time.

I've used PayPal for a few months now and have had no problems.
You dealt with a bad egg...bad luck.

Don't let one jerk put you off.
+1

I too have never had a problem with paypal.
When buying a item off ebay you should ALWAYS LOOK AT THE SELLERS FEEDBACK RATING!! In addition, you should also look at the comments left by other buyers. This will give you a good idea of how reputable a seller is. The high selling people go to great lengths to protect their feedback rating. As said above, you are dealing with a jerk, just go through the correct channels and you will get your money back.
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 03:29 AM   #7
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Never had a problem with PayPal personally. Use them all the time over here in UK

Wouldnt hesitate to use them again
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
FPV GT40
Banned

Pay pal sucks, just another way to suck money out of people, the fees they charge are robbery and are stopping a lot of sellers on e bay....I have well over 500 transactions on e bay and the wife has over 2000, ranging from car parts to cameras to watches to computers to DVD's to kids toys to jewellery to cloths to shoes to washing machines to camping gear to swags to tents etc etc, we buy almost everything on line as it is a huge saving over retail never ever had an item not turn up.

You just need to do your homework on the seller, a reputable seller will not rip you off as it would not be worth there while to do so.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
Ladiesman217
I can count to potato!

Paypal is the best solution to attacking online fraud and dishonorable eBay sellers. I'm glad it is compulsory for all sellers to have to use it if they want to use eBay. Give's people more confidence to buy without being ripped off. Im not saying that FPV_GT40 is a fraudulent seller, but there are those out there that are.

Ladiesman217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #10
FPV GT40
Banned

I do not think it is compulsory any more, as it is actually illegal, it is causing a monopoly not giving people the option especially since e bay owns pay pal and is using it to maximise the amount of cash they suck out of people.

Have not been on e bay since they made it compulsory so not too sure on this will check it out later, but it is not worth selling stuff on e bay(or buying for that matter as sellers pass on the expense) as the fees are just way to high and it takes days to get your money from pay pal,

Not only do they charge e bay fees, pay pal fees, fees to get your money out, but they also keep your money for up to 5 days using it in the short term money market to get interest...just plain greedy.

Does nothing to stop fraudulent sellers as you can have as many pay pal accounts as you have e bay sites as you can get e mail addresses, it is as easy to register on pay pal as it is to register on e bay, and it is only linked to your e mail address, so how will it stop faudulent sellers, it is only a money making exercise nothing else..... :togo:
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 12:21 AM   #11
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GT40
I do not think it is compulsory any more
It is still compulsory to accept Paypal for payment, however what ebay wanted to do was ban paying by any other means apart from Paypal or Cash in person. This is what was overturned by the ACCC

I use Paypal all the time, only ever had one item not turn up, seller did not respond to emails etc, Paypal refunded my money within a couple weeks.
Old 26-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #12
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Steve
If you paid the PP by credit card do a reversal , other wise kiss the $ good bye as paypal/ebay wont help...
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I just went through the dispute resolution process on paypal. Just beware that from what I've seen once you close a dispute for a transaction you cannot create another or re-open the closed dispute. Basically my item arrived from Germany when it was listed as being in Aus. I raised a dispute after two weeks of getting nothing in the mail and no response from the seller. After 18 days the item arrived and I closed the dispute but then found the item was totally faulty.

Ebay suppoort kept advising me to open a dispute on paypal but I couldn't because I already had a closed dispute for that transaction. I gave up getting my money back in the end and started chatting with the ebay security centre. The seller has since been kicked off ebay.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 11:44 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

For a few years they were OK for me but recently it has all gone downhill . After Paypal had taken my money the sellers have complained they haven't received payment. Then Paypal don't respond to my email that I send with bank statements attached as evidence that they have taken my money and the sellers still complain that they have not got my money.

They have also recently deactivated my account suggesting someone might have illegally accessed it and want me to fax them a Government photo ID (driver's licence) and a utility bill as proof of ID (I can see this ending up in foreign call centre and my ID being stolen - so I have refused this request). I have now given up on them.

Last edited by aussiblue; 26-07-2008 at 11:51 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #15
Kryton

i find it funny how paying a small amount to paypal (which you make the buyer pay anyway) is so evil when it is an insurance policy if something goes wrong.
amazing to think, with bank fees and all that you pay, that the bank would give you a blank look and tell you where to go if you never received what you paid for through 'Bank deposit express'.
yet, give paypal a similar fee and they are so bad because they will actively seek a financial return into your pocket if you get ripped off............
yep, piece of mind is a bad thing to have.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 12:13 AM   #16
1970galaxie
Fat 460

I bought something using Paypal, and it also never arrived. I emailed the seller many times and never got any satisfaction from them, as they were blaming me because they reckoned that I never opted for postage insurance. But the thing is that the BUY IT NOW price included free delivery, so the seller was responsible.

Cut a long story short, I did the dispute thing with Paypal, and I ended up getting the refund in full, directly back into my credit card account about 3 or 4 weeks later.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 12:22 AM   #17
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

*experience

And Paypal is great. I've completed hundreds of transactions, on and off eBay with it.