Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
J_Putz

Default dodgy automotive spare parts/wreckers

I have made many trips to numerous wreckers and I am beginning to strongly get the impression that unless you are spending big they aren't likely to be of any help.
I was at a wreckers today to try and get some odd bits. I tell him what I need and he says someone will be with me shortly. I sit and wait. In the mean time 3 people who walked in after me were greeted served and sent on their merry way.
I got up and asked had I misunderstood them because I still haven't been served.
The man claims it was a mistake so I accept his excuse and tell him no harm's been done.
I am finally served by a very insincere man. After telling him what I want he soon returns with nothing for me and suggests I should try a specific car wreckers. I point to where his wrecking yard has exact said vehicles and ask if he could check that one. It was literally ten yards off the main walkway and not inside the main fenced area.
I try to follow him and he says I need to stay back, hesitates for a minute then says that they dog will eat me.
In the 40 minutes I spent waiting I never saw a dog in that area. All I saw was a beware of dog sign which was on the fence to the closed off area.
I respect his wishes but know full well he just doesn't want to sell the parts to me. He returns after only seconds (obviously didn't even look) and says no.

And in the 40 minutes I was there I heard them openly and loudly gossip/trash talk about a handful of their other customers. One of their staff was even bragging that a work mate agressively threatened a customer recently.

That is the final straw. From now on I buy all my parts online.
The high value of the aussie dollar is resulting in increased internet sales. It is a fact this is taking a huge chunk out of local businesses income. You would think they would be trying harder to satisfy local punters.

J_Putz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

Try FTg Auto salvage mate, one of the Forum sponsors. I have used them a few times and can vouch for them as I am sure heaps of other AFF users will do too.

Cheers,
Greg.

The only FPV ever built in CONGO GREEN

SOLD

CURRENT 2012 Manual, leather, sat nav GT 335 in SWIFT GREEN

1 of only 6 manual Swift Green GT’s and 1 of only 21 Swift Green GT’s in total
GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Are you a youngish chap??

I had similar experiences with all the wreckers I dealt with while trying to repair my first car myself at 17 after a small prang.

They seemed to enjoy walking over young people who perhaps didn't have the voice of an older person, or the ability to stand up for themselves.

One wrecker said he had the exact parts I needed, in the right colour and were directly bolt on items. (some front end parts). I told him how lucky I was, and that it would make my repair a whole lot easier.

He dragged the first part back (a guard) along the floor, paint side down, scraping the crap out of it down to the metal. He then plonked it on the counter and asked to be paid prior to getting the rest (bonnet, bumper and stone apron).

I started to get angry.. I questioned him as to why he would be so rough and that I now needed to prep and paint the whole guard due to his actions. After all, the guard weighed all of 7 or 8kg.

By this time, 40 minutes had passed (the regular big spenders were also served after my arrival), and mum (who was waiting in the car) walked into the place to see where I was mid conversation. When she heard what happened she said to just lest go and leave the parts.

The guy then tried to get a 're-stocking fee' for the guard... mum told him where to go in ways that I can't post here.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
fmc351
let it burn

Mate, try another wrecker. They arent all like that. My local went and ripped two old rims off car for me to use as car stands, $10.

What were you after?
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Not all are the same, but many cater for the trade, and really can't be stuffed with Wally the Weekend Warrior wanting $4.50 worth of parts who is more than likely going to bring the items back anyway as they are the wrong size/type/color. The weekend warriors do cause them a fair bit of grief with mucking them about.

Not right, but its the way it is.
Old 30-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Kryton

Im going to take a stab here and ask if its a Ballarat wreckers?
Sounds like the exact same attitude i got from one in particular.
Even as far as bagging out previous customers that had come in and left in the time that i was there.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or just head to a self serve wrecker they are the easiest to deal with cause you can check out the parts first and take what you need.
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

Yeap wreckers are a funny breed of people, but like everything, if you pay your dues, you will get that little bit extra you are looking for.

And if you can make people laugh, even strangers, you will find the come onside real quick

Another vote here for FTG Auto Salavage, those guys go above and beyond the call of duty sometimes.
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

They wander why we buy on line ???
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some wreckers dont allow people in because of insurance reasons.
I have been to some where they will allow you to pull stuff off cars and others wont.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Insurance as mentioned is certainly a major issue these days
So is the five finger discount brigade

As many wreckers as ive had to deal with over the years,
most have been very reasonable
The more you buy the more discount and general knowledge and assistance you get
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

FTG are great in Vic, not so if you don't and you need the part in a hurry.

I was after a throttle body to suit a ford and a local wrecker had a heaps sitting on engines. They told me I could not have one because they will only sell a complete engine. I thought the idea or wreckers was to buy the parts you need, sometimes it is an engine and sometimes it is individual parts. Seems the days of going in and buying an individual part such as a cylinder head are gone, now you have to buy the whole engine. It's not like back in the 80's when I was buying cylinder heads etc to keep the paddock basher going.

Every wrecker I have been to recently have been a pain in the neck and rude as hell, seems they do not need my business.
Old 30-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably not allowed but I think we should be able to name and shame these places. They only have themselves to blame for their actions and poor customer service. Hopefully begins to teach them to never underestimate how word can spread
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

ive had good dealings with the wreckers i go to, the owner even offered to bring a part off one of his cars from home for me... good prices too
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #15
GoldCoastGTP
Luxo rocket

I had one on the sth side of Brissy root me around and tried to rip me a new ahole when I confronted him on the dodgy dealings
Went back there a few days later in the discount uniform with a few boys from another unit and went thru every car in a time wasting look for stolen parts that took a few days and a heap in lost trade for him
Old 30-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #16
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

I love our local wreckers.. We know them pretty well. We were there on saturday and he seen us get out of the car. He said "just help yourself fellas, you know where the tools are" haha. Thats how it usually is.

Took a mate to get a valiant front bumper for his sons burnout car and there was a mint VF ute sitting there with only 2 spots of rust about the size of 5 cent coins. We asked about it and the wrecker bloke said the fella who took it there only just gave it to his mate this morning for nothing. We kept asking about it and really looking at it (mate is the biggest mopar nut and could tell you every little detail). Then when we were leaving the wrecker said if the fella dont come back by the end of the week to get it he can have it for scrap value. Safe to say my mate might have finally found a new home for his 930hp 588 big block :-)

Also some people need to visit pick n payless wreckers in blacktown. $2 entry fee and take your own tools and go crazy. Just pay for the bits on the way out

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Last edited by tankclare; 30-11-2010 at 10:50 PM.
tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 12:17 AM   #17
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Another vote for FTG here. Always helpful.

Dad and I used to go to a wrecker in Chipping Norton that was a pick your own type place, and it depended on who was working that day, but I went in a few times alone and they gave me really good prices on the parts I needed.

One of the boys even booted out a group of guys who were harrassing me in the yard.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 02:05 AM   #18
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol which state are you talking about ones in queensland and pretty good

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #19
midnightXR6

I would highly rate FTG and Darren as he has always sent me little bits ive needed overseas but also genuine ford filters etcand hopefully bigger bits once he gets some FPV bodyparts in. Its very rare to find a place to do that even a couple of main dealers were not interested in sending me parts over. They wanted me to send my own courior to them and ship it back to me.

Most of the UK scrappies let you walk around but you have to wear high vis jackets.
midnightXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #20
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another vote for FTG. Always helpful, and have been a pleasure to deal with.

OP if you can, try a self service wrecker. Places such as u-pickit, Pick apart and Harvey wreckers (for you mornington peninsula blokes. Not sure of the dude behind the counters name, but he is fantastic to deal with) are great places.
As somebody else previously stated, you pay an entrance fee (usually $1 or $2), you bring your own tools and you grab what you need off the cars in the yard.
At the end of your trip, you pay for what you’ve removed.
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #21
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work in a Distmantling yard.

Some places charge $75 MIMIMUM these days
We charge $20 Minimum. It really is how you come across, ie First impressions. If you are a ****** you will get nothing, if you are a good bloke we will go out of our way.

But we are running a business not a charity, you want us to spend half an hour chasing 3 clips for you its not going to happen.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #22
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
I work in a Distmantling yard.

Some places charge $75 MIMIMUM these days
We charge $20 Minimum. It really is how you come across, ie First impressions. If you are a ****** you will get nothing, if you are a good bloke we will go out of our way.

But we are running a business not a charity, you want us to spend half an hour chasing 3 clips for you its not going to happen.
I've worked in various parts places and dealt often with wreckers. There's the old adage that the customer is alway's right. If he's after three clips and you won't sell them, then why are you in business?? His $30 is as good as anyones. Can you afford to turn away customers if your running a business because your too lazy??

Your attitude at the counter will convey how the customer presents himself. If your leaning all over the counter looking down on the customer until he's basically licking your *** or ignoring him while you dribble **** about the last customer or last nights **** up, then you shouldn't be on the front counter.

If your too lazy to dismantle a car for the part or even find if you have one, why do you have a job?? The business is there to make money and profit. Anyone who presents at the front counter is someone who want's to part with his cash. Why make the experience that unpleasant he doesn't want to return or worse still, go somewhere else?? If the customers a ****, it's up to you not to stoop to their level. Again, his money is as good as the next blokes. It's called profesionalism. Make the customer want to come back and spend his money.
If you can't do that, why are you working there?
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #23
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only wreckers i'm familiar with is Flynn's in Cooma. they are a family business and quite friendly. when i wanted some toyota parts for mum's car, he gave me some tools to get em myself. walking around the yard is a treat if you like old rusty cars, he says he's got 4000 cars on site.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #24
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some wreckers who employee people, do not want small jobs.

The reason being, a small job may be only get them a few dollars in profit and its cost more for the wrecker to pay the employee to pull the part from the car. The owner probally has other bigger jobs that the employee needs to do. Try find a family run wrecker, you will probally have bettter luck with smaller parts.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #25
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy351
I've worked in various parts places and dealt often with wreckers. There's the old adage that the customer is alway's right. If he's after three clips and you won't sell them, then why are you in business?? His $30 is as good as anyones. Can you afford to turn away customers if your running a business because your too lazy??

Your attitude at the counter will convey how the customer presents himself. If your leaning all over the counter looking down on the customer until he's basically licking your *** or ignoring him while you dribble **** about the last customer or last nights **** up, then you shouldn't be on the front counter.

If your too lazy to dismantle a car for the part or even find if you have one, why do you have a job?? The business is there to make money and profit. Anyone who presents at the front counter is someone who want's to part with his cash. Why make the experience that unpleasant he doesn't want to return or worse still, go somewhere else?? If the customers a ****, it's up to you not to stoop to their level. Again, his money is as good as the next blokes. It's called profesionalism. Make the customer want to come back and spend his money.
If you can't do that, why are you working there?

For starters the customer wont part with $30 for 3 clips he wants to pay $5-even when I explain that it will take me 20mins to get said clips. In the time i spend getting his 3 clips for $5- I could have missed half a dozen phone calls from people chasing motors or gearboxes and could have sold $10,000 worth of parts. Once again we are here to make money and we can afford to turn away the time waster and his clips. If the customer will pay the $20 minumum charge he will get his clips.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #26
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a similar experience down at a large wrecker down in blacktown, asked for a price on two Fairmont taillights and was basicly told to f-off, went to my local wrecker after that expecting the same, but they were totally different, were really helpfull and ended up being $40 cheaper.

Then I was installing the XR seats into my futura and one of the clips that hold the head rest in was broken, the guys at the local wreckers had a El wagon there, I asked if could get the clip myself, they gave me some tools and told me to get what ever i needed off the wagon. If I ever need some parts they are now my first port of call.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #27
Eleanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
Probably not allowed but I think we should be able to name and shame these places. They only have themselves to blame for their actions and poor customer service. Hopefully begins to teach them to never underestimate how word can spread

Maybe we all just start giving a plug for the good guys. That way people will know who to buy from and who to avoid without having to name them (which is frowned upon on most forums these days.)

My AU2
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #28
Bobman
Regulator

This is why you should get whatever you need from self-serve yards. Most have car models up to 2002.

The biggest problem with wreckers is the prices they charge for parts. You can get most parts on eBay for half the price and don't have to put up with the hassle. Makes you wonder if some parts places even want any business.

I've seen wreckers charge 20% higher prices for used parts than what you can buy brand new from a dealer.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #29
b2tf
not here much anymore

Most wreckers I've dealt with are thieves that sell crap parts for top dollar. I just keep looking for the stuff I need now, havent actually been to a wreckers in months.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #30
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool

I have never had a problem and apart from purchasing for myself i also buy for others while i'm there, hey Linz

I generally approach the counter, stretch out my hand , announce myself, state what im looking for and ASK if i may search for myself so i dont tie them up and i still have all my limbs......

Communication isnt hard if you have the right attitude and people skills
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post