Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
all4ford
XW 351

Default Police Booking People for no seat belt at shopping centre car park ?

Hi all,

I'm not writing to have a whinge about police in general. I am writing to express my disgust with a minority of police officers who in my local area (campbelltown/camden/narellan) are booking people for no seat belt whilst they try to find a car parking space in the busy shopping centre car parks. These people would be barely doing 5km/h !!!

Making it even worse, whilst these police continue to revenue raise, crimes are being committed under their very noses. In the last 2 weeks, a security guard was stabbed at Cambelltown Mall and two separate incidents occurred at Macarthur Square (Campbelltown) where defenceless people were stood over and their christmas presents stolen away from them. These are the incidents I have heard about, I'm sure there have been numerous others.

It sounds like I'm describing a really nasty area, but the Macarthur area is a really nice place. We just need our local police stations to stop revenue raising and start paying more attention to getting rid of this scum from our area.

The good people of the community want to work with the police to eradicate the criminals, but the good people of my community are finding hard to retain respect for certain police officers when they persist on this kind of behaviour.

So what do you guys think? Is it a joke or what?

Old 22-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you should be wearing your seat belt in a shopping centre...
Old 22-12-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i live near camden....and venture into campbelltown eveynow and then.......one thing i noticed is that Campbelltown becomes Claymore at night...................all the bums and hobos and thugs and all those sort of people come out at night...........during the Day its quite pleasant to spend your time at Campbelltown mall and Macarthur Square.....or most places in Campbelltown. it just that it seems the Darkness brings all the crooks and weirdo's out........

As for the police booking ppl when parking. i find it stupid that they are doing that....but i dont understand why ppl take there seat belt off when they get into a car park. like when i go park i park my car then take my seat belt off. and when im leaving its the first thing i put back on.......i agree its stupid that they are fining them, but i just dont understand the thought process or reasons why you would take off your seat belt...??

Old 22-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Why its private property!! I beleive the law also states you dont have to wear if in reverse or travelling slower than 20kph. Well it was in W.A a few years ago ie; forklifts on piblic roads
Old 22-12-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it law to wear your seatbelt in a shopping centre carpark (I am thinking yes as it is probably classified as a "road related area").

Personally I can't stand all the hubbabaloo advertising about seatbelt use constantly rammed down our throat. Surely the money would be better spent on upgrading roads or advertising to drive defensivly. It is common sense to wear one, however if you choose not to wear one it dosn't harm anybody else except your stupid self. I don't comprehend how smoking is legal but not wearing a seatbelt is illegal?

Meh.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 22-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Sounds like the cops are dodging the dangerous jobs. I'll book this nice little old lady not wearing a seatbelt so I don't have to chase a criminal stabbing security guards.
Sounds like the cops need another pay rise.
Old 22-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

actually... the shopping center carpark is classified as private land...
i know someone who got out of a mobile phone offence because of this
Old 22-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
mowog
Discovery 4

I dont take my seat belt off until the car is parked...

I would assume these people arrived at the car park with the seat belts off and the cops are taking advantage of low speeds to book people. Its far safer than trying to stop a car doing 60 plus on the streets.

However the law is pretty simple if you are driving wear a seat belt... If your not and you get busted then its noones fault but your own.

We need more cops in car parks at this time of year anyway because people do some pretty stupid stuff in car parks.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Old 22-12-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
KaptnKaos
KAOS IS RANDOM ORDER

I managed pubs for many years before my back forced me to give it up. It was very common for the local cops to breathalyse drivers in our carpark. The owners got their lawyers to ook into the legality of this.

In Vic (don't know about other states) the law deems that a carpark is not private property unless it is specifically sign-posted as such. ie there needs to be a 'PRIVATE PROPERTY' sign posted at every entrance.

We put signs up and the practice stopped immediately.
Old 22-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEFGLi
Sounds like the cops are dodging the dangerous jobs. I'll book this nice little old lady not wearing a seatbelt so I don't have to chase a criminal stabbing security guards.

and you base this opinion on what?
Old 22-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #11
plext
Forum Director

Private property or not, it's still a public area and thus public road. You can be convicted of drink driving for being in control of a vehicle in a carpark.

Given that, it does seem fairly stiff, but I find it hard to condemn them for cracking down on seatbelt usage.

As noted elsewhere, I fail to understand how people are doing it. First thing I do in the car is put the belt on, last thing is take it off. It's ingrained habit.

Campbelltown, outside of Macarthur mall, is horrific at the best of times. Been down Queen street of late? My wife won't get out of the car down near the end, and I can't really say I blame her.
Old 22-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #12
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

It is my opinion that this practice should be praised. If someone has their seatbelt off in a carpark, it's a fair bet they arrived there in the same fashion. After all, you are in control of a moving vehicle that requires a seatbelt to be worn by law.
Old 22-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #13
UNRULY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeStRaFe

In victoria, a shopping centre car park is most definately a road related area. The bit that you drive on is the road, and the actual car park bay is a road related area. As defined in the Road Rules Vic. You can wear a ticket there no problems.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd.../0/part_02.pdf
Old 22-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #14
XAGSV8
Member 178

Good on them for doing it. The legalities of it though is if it is private property they can't really book people (correct me if I'm wrong).

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
Old 22-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #15
FordFan86
meow

I don't see yours or anybody elses problem. I get in the car to move it 5m & I'll put the seatbelt on, take the seatbelt off when you get out of the car. Simple, it's just habit.
Just some extra: What say they're not paying attention, run through a give way area and get whacked at 20k? Not that fast i'm sure but any injuries sustained and they'd be screwed if they had health insurance...
Old 22-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #16
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEFGLi
That's way harsh mate. Im sure if the police spotted the stabbing in process, or were there soon enough after it happened, theyd be right onto it.

Perhaps if people obeyed the simple laws - like seatbelts - the police could focus their attention on criminal activity, as opposed to protecting people from their own stupidity?

Speed limit... IIRC... 10km/hr in such an area? Same with servos... seatbelts/speed limits apply.
Old 22-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #17
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

sure its a private are but im sure the owners have no problem with police enforcing law on their land. if someone came and stabbed you on your property would you want the police to help or tell them to **** off becuase its private property?

like many i take my seatbelt off AFTER i stop the car and BEFORE i start the car whats with ****wits that feel obliged to take off their seatbelt when they enter a carpark idiots all of them.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Old 22-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #18
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeStRaFe
The M2, M4, M5, M5 East, M7, ED, Harbour Tunnel, Cross City Tunnel and soon to open Lane Cove tunnel are all on "private land" as well and all are heavily policed - why - because their roads built for the publics use, and open for public access - therefore they can be policed.
Old 22-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #19
jason71
google is my friend

here is a definition of a road from the NSW RTA

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...wnloads/p2.pdf

I’m just curious as to why they have a sign “please fasten your seat belt” as you exit a car park,
if you are supposed to be wearing it at all times.
Old 22-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #20
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
and you base this opinion on what?
The first post. Obviously what I said is wrong and was sarcastic but thats how I read the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
That's way harsh mate. Im sure if the police spotted the stabbing in process, or were there soon enough after it happened, theyd be right onto it.

Perhaps if people obeyed the simple laws - like seatbelts - the police could focus their attention on criminal activity, as opposed to protecting people from their own stupidity?

Speed limit... IIRC... 10km/hr in such an area? Same with servos... seatbelts/speed limits apply.
I reckon the police need another pay rise to attract more people into the force.

Who wants to chase dangerous criminals for $25 an hour. I think cops deserve a much higher pay rate for what they do.
Old 22-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #21
BlackLS

If it has open public access, its classed as public area. If its gated I think its different though.

When I worked at Maccas, we had someone ask if they could do a burnout in our drivethru, as there was a RBT set up across the road. We had to convince him that they still can book you as the drive thru has public access. If I could go back to that time though, I would have said "Go ahead!"

Old 22-12-2006, 12:11 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a fair outcome.
For me its instinct to put the seatbelt on when i get into a car... Why wouldnt you wear a seatbelt in a shopping centre carpark? especially when you have to travel on a public road to enter or leave the carpark anyway.
Carkparks are statistically one of the most common places for car accidents, it doesnt take much of a collision to throw you into the steering wheel or dash..

Old 22-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #23
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I say fine them, why the hell would you drive around looking for a car park without a seatbelt on in the first place!!

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
Old 22-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #24
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"I reckon the police need another pay rise to attract more people into the force.

Who wants to chase dangerous criminals for $25 an hour. I think cops deserve a much higher pay rate for what they do."

yeh right. This isnt the usa. There not geting shot at. I no longer have respect for traffic cops. I was pulled over for speeding by a highway patrol car and when he drove off I followed him to see how fast he was going. He was going something like 20km/h over the limit and he had just pulled me over for doing 5km/h over the limit.

Only a month ago after picking up my new car, within 5 mins I was being pulled over. I had to turn into the car park at pickles auctions but there was a island in the middle of the road. So I did a U turn at the lights. There where many other people doing the U turn aswell and the cops where a few cars back. But they pulled me over because im a P plater and get picked on. While one of the cops was writing out a ticket, the other told me I had a grandma car. I thought this was pretty rude and I asked him what he had. I said a mazda 3. I then laughed and he told me to shut up or he will find something to give me a yellow sticker for.

Finally when they started driving off, I saw the cop driving talking on his mobile. God dam cops think they can do what they want. Do you think thet actually get a fine when flashed by a multinova.

So to all traffic cops out there, you can kiss my ***. Your not even real cops. your just bastards with a ticket book and a crappy holden

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
Old 22-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #25
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyfmtjoe
Why its private property!! I beleive the law also states you dont have to wear if in reverse or travelling slower than 20kph. Well it was in W.A a few years ago ie; forklifts on piblic roads
EXACTLY!!!

isnt this the law and if so
can they prove you to be over 20kmh?
if not take it to the supevisor and state your case..
Old 22-12-2006, 12:21 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Camden is in NSW and I am not familiar with the law there. In QLD commercial driveways and car parks are covered by the traffic act as "urban areas". The loophole here is that unless the speed limit signs in the parks comply with the standards they are not enforcable. i.e. if it is not a number in a red ring and the size and position of the sign is not as per the traffic act AND the signs are not "registered" then they mean crap. The same with tiny give way or stop signs. Of course you will have to fight it it court if rolled.

Other than that everything else applies such as give way to right, seat belt, phone, hooning etc.

How many hoons have been rolled in car parks in NSW to the nearest bazillion? I suspect the law might be the same there.
Old 22-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #27
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by I FluXx I
"I reckon the police need another pay rise to attract more people into the force.

Who wants to chase dangerous criminals for $25 an hour. I think cops deserve a much higher pay rate for what they do."

yeh right. This isnt the usa. There not geting shot at. I no longer have respect for traffic cops. I was pulled over for speeding by a highway patrol car and when he drove off I followed him to see how fast he was going. He was going something like 20km/h over the limit and he had just pulled me over for doing 5km/h over the limit.

Only a month ago after picking up my new car, within 5 mins I was being pulled over. I had to turn into the car park at pickles auctions but there was a island in the middle of the road. So I did a U turn at the lights. There where many other people doing the U turn aswell and the cops where a few cars back. But they pulled me over because im a P plater and get picked on. While one of the cops was writing out a ticket, the other told me I had a grandma car. I thought this was pretty rude and I asked him what he had. I said a mazda 3. I then laughed and he told me to shut up or he will find something to give me a yellow sticker for.

Finally when they started driving off, I saw the cop driving talking on his mobile. God dam cops think they can do what they want. Do you think thet actually get a fine when flashed by a multinova.

So to all traffic cops out there, you can kiss my ***. Your not even real cops. your just bastards with a ticket book and a crappy holden
I'm saying all cops. A traffic cop can deal with real crims too they are not restricted to busting road rule breakers. And a few cops have been shot and killed in Australia on a routine speeding stop.
Its not all roses when being a traffic cop.
Old 22-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #28
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Camden is in NSW and I am not familiar with the law there. In QLD commercial driveways and car parks are covered by the traffic act as "urban areas". The loophole here is that unless the speed limit signs in the parks comply with the standards they are not enforcable. i.e. if it is not a number in a red ring and the size and position of the sign is not as per the traffic act AND the signs are not "registered" then they mean crap. The same with tiny give way or stop signs. Of course you will have to fight it it court if rolled.

Other than that everything else applies such as give way to right, seat belt, phone, hooning etc.

How many hoons have been rolled in car parks in NSW to the nearest bazillion? I suspect the law might be the same there.
MOVE ON POWERS!

pls leave this area and then follow me to the nearest defect station:

gotta love the MOVE ON POWERS they have ;)

i was in nsw car park and got a RBT so i guess you aint covered in a shopping centre car park whom knows..
Old 22-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Hmmm.... he's legally allowed to travel over the speed limit for the purposes of carrying out his job, you're NOT.

Quote:

That's the attitude that normally attracts their attention in the first place....

Old 22-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #30
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

I think we are all done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
Closed Thread