Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Who says people towing caravans are slow???

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...25/3075821.htm

Police call off high-speed caravan chase

Posted 1 hour 32 minutes ago

* Map: Elizabeth 5112

Police say they chased a car and caravan at high speed in Adelaide's north early today until the pursuit became too dangerous.

Senior Constable Paul Noble says police spotted a stolen Commodore sedan towing the caravan in Main North Road.

"A patrol quickly terminated the pursuit when the driver of the stolen vehicles began driving very erratically, apparently he was swaying from side to side and the caravan was nearly tipping over," he said.

The car and caravan were found dumped at Elizabeth Downs and police are now tracing the owners and the offenders.

Sorry there were some threads about correcting trailer swing....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got an old Hot Rod magazine test of a new 1969 Impala coupe (427 4-speed I think?) towing one of those big-azzed aluminum "streamliner" caravans at about 120mph(ish) .. that would be scarey.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
I've got an old Hot Rod magazine test of a new 1969 Impala coupe (427 4-speed I think?) towing one of those big-azzed aluminum "streamliner" caravans at about 120mph(ish) .. that would be scarey.
Yeah, but not for long.

Could have been worse, could have been a Corvair with its unstable IRS.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's always an exception to the rule, and this proves it
Old 25-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I remember seeing on TV a few years ago that the speed record for towing a caravan for a long time (not sure if it was Aussie or Global) was held by a Falcon. They used a tricked up Dodge Viper to beat it.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

There was a decent test with the Norris Design EVO in the UK with caravan towing.
Need to look it up ... I think it was over 200km/h.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
MexicanBatman
Banned

If I'm not mistaken an EA holds the official world record for speed towing a caravan LOL Or at least used to anyway
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Yeah, but not for long.

Could have been worse, could have been a Corvair with its unstable IRS.
Amazed this myth still persists to this day , Ralph Nader sure has a lot ot answer for .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Amazed this myth still persists to this day , Ralph Nader sure has a lot ot answer for .
Are you referring to the US government or transport authority revised tests that found no issue?

There were GM execs who said the same as Nader, he wasnt alone. And the later models revised the system. I cant find it, but i have seen footage of one swinging out of control under testing and it seems pretty obvious the rear end keeps it swinging. I dont want to think about how much worse it would be with a caravan at 200.

That and GM stated running 15 psi tyre pressure fixed any issue.

Last edited by fmc351; 25-11-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 25-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...25/3075821.htm

Police call off high-speed caravan chase

Posted 1 hour 32 minutes ago

* Map: Elizabeth 5112

Police say they chased a car and caravan at high speed in Adelaide's north early today until the pursuit became too dangerous.

Senior Constable Paul Noble says police spotted a stolen Commodore sedan towing the caravan in Main North Road.

"A patrol quickly terminated the pursuit when the driver of the stolen vehicles began driving very erratically, apparently he was swaying from side to side and the caravan was nearly tipping over," he said.

The car and caravan were found dumped at Elizabeth Downs and police are now tracing the owners and the offenders.

Sorry there were some threads about correcting trailer swing....
Only in Adelaide is all i can say.

P.S. I lived in Adelaide for 4 years.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #11
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Are you referring to the US government or transport authority revised tests that found no issue?

There were GM execs who said the same as Nader, he wasnt alone. And the later models revised the system. I cant find it, but i have seen footage of one swinging out of control under testing and it seems pretty obvious the rear end keeps it swinging. I dont want to think about how much worse it would be with a caravan at 200.

That and GM stated running 15 psi tyre pressure fixed any issue.

Seppos were only used to driving overweight front engine lumbering understeering tanks until the Corvair came along . Here was a rear engined lightweight oversteering car . Got way worse press than it ever deserved . Basic layout , rear mounted air cooled flat six driving through a transaxle to the rear wheels immediately in front of the engine with independant suspension all round , sound familiar ? I have a vague recollection of some guys in Stuttgart doing something similar .All the seppos had to do was adjust their vehicle steering style a little or shock horror of horrors actually learn to drive and there would never have been a problem . I agree G.M. did themselves no favours with the ridiculously low tyre pressure but who in their right mind would leave them there other than the great sea of unwashed masses who know no better . How many of us here actually run our cars at the manufacturers recommended ( for a smooth ride ) tyre pressures . I hate G.M. with an absolute passion but on this one they were wrongly convicted in the court of public opinion by an ignoramous .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Seppos were only used to driving overweight front engine lumbering understeering tanks until the Corvair came along . Here was a rear engined lightweight oversteering car . Got way worse press than it ever deserved . Basic layout , rear mounted air cooled flat six driving through a transaxle to the rear wheels immediately in front of the engine with independant suspension all round , sound familiar ? I have a vague recollection of some guys in Stuttgart doing something similar .All the seppos had to do was adjust their vehicle steering style a little or shock horror of horrors actually learn to drive and there would never have been a problem . I agree G.M. did themselves no favours with the ridiculously low tyre pressure but who in their right mind would leave them there other than the great sea of unwashed masses who know no better . How many of us here actually run our cars at the manufacturers recommended ( for a smooth ride ) tyre pressures . I hate G.M. with an absolute passion but on this one they were wrongly convicted in the court of public opinion by an ignoramous .
The way I understood it, under extreme circumstances, like highway speed and immediate evasive action, unless tyre pressures were set to 15 psi, the car became unstable, and 'runaway' steering was inevitable. That was from GM, not Nader. It was running higher pressures that caused the problem, sticking to the factory settings made the steering issue less of a problem. the opposite of what youre saying. Thats how I understood it.

Just because a Euro Co got it right, doesnt mean GM came close simply by using a same basic idea, engine at back.

Regardless, it would certainly have issues at high speed pulling a monster caravan, given the tendency of trailers etc to push the back of heavier vehicles, let alone a light weight car with or without the handling issues.
Old 25-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB
Only in Adelaide is all i can say.

P.S. I lived in Adelaide for 4 years.
When I was in Adelaide for a weekend and checking into a hotel, heard this awful screeching noise outside. Turn my head to see a Police Hilux going sideways through a red light, mount a median kerb in excess of 60kmh and go airborne for a second before making a nice landing. With police drivers like that, I'm suprised they called off the pursuit.
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post