Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default problems getting on this site.

i have problems getting on this site ( daily) . i know it isnt this computer because i try with my i'phone also .
its never been a reliable site , nowadays it's far worse than ever . other sites are easy to get into AFF always seems to be a random chance lately.

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Yes same here mate , it's not you. Last 2 weeks has been bit weird :(
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
kenz
BOSS Pilot

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11297614

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
gtfpv
GT

RUSS ya gotta fix this mate . playing up every day , dropping out , not allowing posting , freezing . not allowing login . every day . sometimes i just quit and go to other sites of interest .
Old 09-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Did you even read the thread that was posted re: Outage?

Russ and the admin team are doing the best they can and they are working on the issues. Have a little patience.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

As noted in the thread that has been linked to, there have been some intermittent issues of late that have had a lot of effort put into them in order to resolve the issues. All of the monitoring data indicates that these issues are resolved and I am watching the server performance closely.

However, if you are having constant issues then there is something else wrong as the server up-time this last week (apart from deliberate down-time) has been over 98.8% and any deliberate down time has been late night and early morning to avoid disruption.

Considering the post counts per day are still at the same level they were it is obviously more of an isolated issue than a site wide one.

I'd suggest that you clear cache and cookies as a starting point but also provide something more of a clue than in your posts above as it is somewhat difficult to actually analyse what is really happening without knowing the details of the issue.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep i have been getting it to , i have put it down to the server is crowded or something, it seems a little better this week, seems to happen for a shorter period, i try it on both my pc and lap top same results, have done the cookie thing, my young brother is a network tech , he tells me that server software is very problematic, it must be a fair pain Russel with so many users?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
As noted in the thread that has been linked to, there have been some intermittent issues of late that have had a lot of effort put into them in order to resolve the issues. All of the monitoring data indicates that these issues are resolved and I am watching the server performance closely.

However, if you are having constant issues then there is something else wrong as the server up-time this last week (apart from deliberate down-time) has been over 98.8% and any deliberate down time has been late night and early morning to avoid disruption.

Considering the post counts per day are still at the same level they were it is obviously more of an isolated issue than a site wide one.

I'd suggest that you clear cache and cookies as a starting point but also provide something more of a clue than in your posts above as it is somewhat difficult to actually analyse what is really happening without knowing the details of the issue.

Russ
thanks russ . i'll let you know exactly whats wrong if anything else happens . cheers .
and yes i have read the other thread . the reason i started this is because it is current as russ mentioned the issues were resolved . today the site is working great for me . yesterday i posted a reply to a thread and couldnot post it .
Old 09-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Has been better this week. What happens for me is can be real slow or nothing happens . Then i get the message below . Just happened a little while ago, tried few minutes later is ok .. Thanks for all your hard work guys .

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
gtfpv
GT

just an update for you Russ . today the site is extremely fast and accurate for me. I dont know if the repairs have been an ongoing evolving thing . but if so it seems to be fixed ( or related to late night heavy traffic ) . hopefully fixed . cheers .
Old 10-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Believe me when I say that there has been quite a significant amount of work going on behind the scenes in order to keep things running.
One of the things that many may not be aware of is that the version of vb that we are using here on AFF is (according to vb) 'not compatible' with some of the software apps used by 'smartphone' technologies, for online viewing. With the increasing usage of smartphone technologies, comes a lot of website unknowns....
There are a few other areas that we are taking a good hard look at as well. As a sidenote, many of the adjustments / tweaks we've been working on has made some overall improvements in terms of site performance, which should bode well for keeping AFF the premier auto related forum on the web.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Believe me when I say that there has been quite a significant amount of work going on behind the scenes in order to keep things running.
One of the things that many may not be aware of is that the version of vb that we are using here on AFF is (according to vb) 'not compatible' with some of the software apps used by 'smartphone' technologies, for online viewing. With the increasing usage of smartphone technologies, comes a lot of website unknowns....
There are a few other areas that we are taking a good hard look at as well. As a sidenote, many of the adjustments / tweaks we've been working on has made some overall improvements in terms of site performance, which should bode well for keeping AFF the premier auto related forum on the web.

thanks Wulos. i cant ever remember a time when the forum speed - performance has been any better than it is right now . thanks guys .
Old 23-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #13
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Sorry for the bump, and apologies if you guys know about it already, but I figure that if you don't, you can't fix it!

The last couple of nights I've been having issues with the site timing out on me, and not loading. A couple of times it loads up the main page, but when I go to enter a section it will then time out on me.

If its related to the previous issues and still being worked on, all good.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 01:18 AM   #14
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had the same drama Riksta...
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #15
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

same here I amsure that russ is workinng on it though

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #16
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

i've had problems lately trying to get onto the site too.. but unlike some, i'm patient and try again the next day.. going to another site?? yea so what.. but having a dummy spit.... come on.. this site is probably the best out there.. so many users.. for sure you'll get a glitch every now and then but who cares..
glitch or no glitch im sure the admin people know about it and are doing what they can..
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #17
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

We do indeed know about it and as mentioned in the relocation thread we are in the process of preparing to migrate to a new server as part of the solution.

However, we also want to identify the underlying cause for the slow downs that are happening so that we fix those rather than just mask them by throwing more hardware at them.

I can say that between 2030-2040 on Monday and then again at 21:40 last night we are seeing big spikes in the number of transactions per second as shown in the data below. As this seems to coincide with large numbers of guests, my current view is that we are seeing activity from bad bots that simply keep reading multiple pages until we run out of available processes.

Basically any time the transactions per second (the purple line) gets over 400, the server is going to be unhappy and by 500 it will almost certainly crash apache. The 0300 and 0400 ones are caused by background maintenance tasks which are deliberate but the ones at 20:30 and 22:40 are not. The fact that this also coincides with high reads per second (the red line) indicates that bot activity may well be the cause.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 23-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #18
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Thanks for all the hard work behind the scenes Russ & Wulos

PS: loving the tech analysis above. Reminds me when I met with a risk guy at work and he was walking me through Monte Carlo Computational Algorithms!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #19
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Russ

I find that when itry to get into the private oze area and DM area that it seems to go slow all the time not sure if this is related though

also it just had a 30 second slow spot as well to get into the site support area with only
Quote:
Currently Active Users: 534 (285 members and 249 guests)
Jason

p.s keep up the great behind the scenes work

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #20
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Russ, I have been getting the time-out issue during the day at times too.

Also the site doesn't seem to remember me, ie. It doesn't show which threads I've looked at and is a couple of visits old where it says i last visited.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #21
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

We'll be making some small changes throughout the day so there may be the odd white page or delay in page loads.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 23-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
We'll be making some small changes throughout the day so there may be the odd white page or delay in page loads.

Cheers
Russ
What like this one?

Looks good.  
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #23
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

I just get no connection - white empty page from about 9.30pm onwards and has been happening for a couple of weeks. No other website is having the same issue.

Last edited by Mark^^; 23-06-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
RUSS ya gotta fix this mate . playing up every day , dropping out , not allowing posting , freezing . not allowing login . every day . sometimes i just quit and go to other sites of interest .
What? There are other sites??

Same issues here; I just keep trying till I get on, and in between times I go to eBay - it's costing me a fortune!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #25
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

We've made a number of changes tonight as follows:

1. We have removed a number of the less useful bots from having access to the site which should stop them from being able to flood the site with read requests.

2. We have also enabled compression on served pages. There is some performance hit to doing this but it should be offset with faster page load times which (in turn) means each process worker is freed up quicker.

3. Changed our method of caching database requests to a (theoretically) more efficient one.

We'll see how these changes go when I review the logs over the next couple of days.

Any anecdotal feedback of improved / worsened page load speeds would also be welcomed.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 23-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #26
hopk88
Formally KezDaMuss

yea i have had a few freezes from about 10.30pm-11pm the last 2 nights where i go to refresh and it says page cannot be displayed and it stays like that for about 15mins or so?

I know you guys are working on it and i have had no problems tonight other then a few longer load times but the site has been good.

Loving the site guys
Reverse Parking Sensors, Full XR6 Body Kit, 18" XR8 Mag's, BMC Air Filter, F6 Typhoon Airbox with F6 Lower Intake & XR6 Turbo Upper Intake Snorkel, XR6 Turbo Exhaust, DBA Street Series Standard Front & Rear Rotors, Bendix GCT Front & Rear Pads
hopk88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #27
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't had a drama today Russ. Banning the bots seems to have worked for me (touchwood).
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post