Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New P plate rules in WA

In WA they have just imposed a new rule as of Dec 1 that a P plater that loses 4 points in the 1st year or 8 in 2 years will have their license cancelled and have to go through the whole thing again.

My son who got off his P's last month just got a camera ticket, $150 and 2 points for 10 kays over. Fair cop.

But we're about to start double demerits tomorrow and my daughter falls into this category as she got her P's after Dec 1. So if she gets caught doing 10kays over the limit in the next 12 months during double demerits she loses her license . I think thats a bit tough personally.

I'm all for road safety and particularly trying to get the message through to young P platers, but to lose your license for 10 kays over is too much.

Are these similar rules to other states?

Old 23-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Sorry, but if your kids drive within the law there is no proplem. P plates are a provisional licence, as in still learning. There are reasons for restrictions. Too many young kids are hurt or killed due to stupididty and recklessness. As a parent i suggest you drum it in to them.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Within the law or safely?

I think it is ridiculous to force P platers to drive worried of not nudging over the posted limit in fear of losing their license.
It is not making safer drivers it is making hesitant, paranoid drivers.

Ask your self this question.

What's more important? The road or the speedo?

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey redxm, you aint preaching something I dont already know and do.
But 10 kays, who hasn't been caught out doing 10 kays either intentionally or accidentally.
My point is should they lose their license? Sure they should get a fine, but lose your license, I bet you's scream if the same law applied to you and got caught going downhill at 10 kays over.
Old 23-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Do they mean if you are on P2's and you have completed 1.5 years they will reset it to P1 again? Or simply restart the P2 license?

I got off my P's up here in QLD not that long ago and the first thing I did was jump into a V8
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I nearly lost my licence on my P's in vic for no seat belt. Damn double demerits.
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkachu
I nearly lost my licence on my P's in vic for no seat belt. Damn double demerits.
I lost a total of 24 points on my P plates over the final 2 years. which is odd, because the first year I was a massive hoon. I calmed down alot once I took the Cortina off the road.

Lost(suspended) my license 4-5 times I stopped caring and just kept driving until I got picked up for it, yeah I was pretty bad

Despite all this I still consider my self a safe driver, I've had 11 cars and no crashes.

Friends often ask me "Y0 DAWG CAN U TEACH M3 UR RAD SK1LLZ?"

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes they are easy targets, however when you look at the amount of P platers who drive around speeding, tail gating etc its a majority who do. Most have bad habbits before they reach an open licence and they are also in high risk category of having an accident

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Yes they are easy targets, however when you look at the amount of P platers who drive around speeding, tail gating etc its a majority who do. Most have bad habbits before they reach an open licence and they are also in high risk category of having an accident
And where do they get the bad habits from? the people teaching them!
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
And where do they get the bad habits from? the people teaching them!

Well yes that is a gimmie!.... Whether its because their parents are crap drivers or the fact that most other drivers out there dont follow the road rules will rub off on them very quickly. Monkey see, monkey doo....

Old 23-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well yes that is a gimmie!.... Whether its because their parents are crap drivers or the fact that most other drivers out there dont follow the road rules will rub off on them very quickly. Monkey see, monkey doo....
Thats the problem. People are not taught the correct way to drive!
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

Sounds harsh to me. And yes dangerous as a P plater will not have the skills yet to watch for 1 k over and monitor the road. Im one of the first to say if you cant check your speed and keep your eyes on the road, then catch the bus because youre useless. But P platers wont yet have that skill, they are still gaining the experience to do so. They will have issues of wandering lanes.

A smarter thing might be to restrict their errors to minor ones. ie: lose licence for more than 10 k over, even without double demerits. But at say 8k over, its just a fine like the rest of us. 8k over is easy enough to do, and not exactly madness.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
Thats the problem. People are not taught the correct way to drive!
this is true, and years ago before camera`s, if the boys in blue saw you not stopping at a stop sign or not giving way or some other bad driving offence you`d get pulled up for a chewing out or a fine at the officers discretion, with the camera mentality drivers are`nt getting that bit of road side education because its more profitable to have more camera`s and less police.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #14
bungarra

Just the WA Office of Road Safety pushing through the government what they think will work. Most of the people I have talked to or dealt with at the WA ORS have any idea about the difference between speeding and driving to conditions. They even advocated allowing people to do 30km/hr below the speed llimit to improve safety!!! Great idea, round a bend on a country road at 100 and straight up the but of the idiot doing a "safe" 70.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #15
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I think it can be a dangerous law during double demerits. I am one of those people who would rather do 140 past the semi and be back on my side asap, than try not to get caught speeding and take almost 1km to pass. So these kids will now have to take that near 1km to pass for fear of loss of licence.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #16
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Double demerits.. makes a joke of the system IMHO, do we ever get "Half Demirit" weekends or a Two for one deal where if you get done for two offences you can pick which one stands and the other is discounted?

It is what it is, sure up the fines to try and discourage people on certain events or times of travel but to up the points is pretty stupid really.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red P in NSW will lose there licence even if they are going less then 10 ks over.
Green P will lose it on double demerits for going less then 10 over.

Its a load of crap and too hash... but what you gonna do about it?
The authorities get thier own way even if we think its crap.

I got off my P's last week and I never got a fine on them, So I'm happy/lucky. Now I can get treated like a normal person.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #18
cjf
GT Hardcore

Quote:
Its the minority of P platers who are idots and the majority of P platers who try to obey the rules and the bad eggs stand out on the roads and the rest drive by unnoticed.
BPR CAI , PACEMAKERS 4-1, BALLISTIC 100cell RACING CATS, CROW CAMS GTP,
K LINE , XFORCE ,PSI VALVE SPRINGS, MANLEY H BEAMS, SRP PISTONS & RINGS, ACL RACE BEARINGS MELLINGS BILLET OIL PUMP, POWERBOND UNDERDRIVES, TT1-160 THERMOSTAT.

Last edited by cjf; 23-12-2010 at 11:26 PM.
cjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #19
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Revenue raising, that's all it is. ******* Nazis!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #20
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they'll survive
i just got off my ps in nsw without loosing my licence
and as others have stated the laws have been much worse around here for the last 3-4 years

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #21
blueluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra
Just the WA Office of Road Safety pushing through the government what they think will work. Most of the people I have talked to or dealt with at the WA ORS have any idea about the difference between speeding and driving to conditions. They even advocated allowing people to do 30km/hr below the speed llimit to improve safety!!! Great idea, round a bend on a country road at 100 and straight up the but of the idiot doing a "safe" 70.
I agree with what you are saying in your first part there, but it's the last bit that made me wonder. If you are doing 100 around a bend and you can't slow to 70 in time to avoid running onto the back of someone, then you shouldn't be doing 100 in the first place. I understand what you are trying to say however, but running up the butt of someone doing 30K less than you around a corner means the corner is not a 100 Km/hr one.
blueluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #22
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin Fresh
I think it can be a dangerous law during double demerits. I am one of those people who would rather do 140 past the semi and be back on my side asap, than try not to get caught speeding and take almost 1km to pass. So these kids will now have to take that near 1km to pass for fear of loss of licence.
I would prefer to loose my license than have a head on because I was concentrating on my speed.
Along my drive up to Cairns earlier this year I came across 2 b-doubles and a triple in a line doing about 90.
Wasn't going to get past them at 100.
I am not sure what speed I passed them at as I was too busy concentrating on what I was doing to distract myself by looking down.

It is also not that hard to accidentally be doing 20 k's over driving normally either.
I have been on many roads where the limit goes from 80 to 60 for no apparent reason. If you had not seen the 60 sign you wouldn't have a clue.
You will also notice it is these stupid speed zones that are policed the most.
Not because it is unsafe to do 80 or 90 either.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #23
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

Obviously p platers are new and inexperienced drivers and still learning everyday, to prove this they have "P" on their car.

Why punish them while they are trying to learn?

More over, regular experienced drivers are on the threshold of losing their full licence over speed cameras (just one example) for exceeding the speed limit by 5 to 8k/ph, ofcourse over a period time. 3 years, 12 points is more than enough time to lose your licence in this fashion.

Sure if you do stupid stuff you deserve to lose points or your licence, but not from normal orthodox driving, where on an occassion you can go over the limit slightly like the whole world does.

How the hell is a learning driver (p plater) suppose to get a fair shot at learning and life and have a criminal record (recorderd driving offences are possibly considered as a criminal record?) against them for minor infringements while learning.

It's ridiculous.
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #24
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote mk3

It is also not that hard to accidentally be doing 20 k's over driving normally either.
I have been on many roads where the limit goes from 80 to 60 for no apparent reason. If you had not seen the 60 sign you wouldn't have a clue.
You will also notice it is these stupid speed zones that are policed the most.
Not because it is unsafe to do 80 or 90 either.
Yep they are ridiculous.
I go past one all the time. On the road you can easily see where they have crossed out 100 and painted 60 over it...... How can a road speed limit be dropped by 40 for no apparent reason??

Further up the road there is another part where they crossed out 100 and painted 90.... Looks like 190 though in the right light..... wonder if that would stand up as an excuse for speeding.
Old 24-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #25
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf
Its the minority of P platers who are idots and the majority of P platers who try to obey the rules and the bad eggs stand out on the roads and the rest drive by unnoticed.

I would beg to differ....

Old 24-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #26
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Yep they are ridiculous.
I go past one all the time. On the road you can easily see where they have crossed out 100 and painted 60 over it...... How can a road speed limit be dropped by 40 for no apparent reason??

Further up the road there is another part where they crossed out 100 and painted 90.... Looks like 190 though in the right light..... wonder if that would stand up as an excuse for speeding.

Er.. painted over signs??? As in hand painted?
Please engauge brain... a hand painted sign is not legal, its been painted over as a joke by someone.
A sign needs to be replaced with a new one in order for it to be enforced, even in road works, a hand painted sign means nothing.

Old 24-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #27
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Er.. painted over signs??? As in hand painted?
Please engauge brain... a hand painted sign is not legal, its been painted over as a joke by someone.
A sign needs to be replaced with a new one in order for it to be enforced, even in road works, a hand painted sign means nothing.

On the road as i stated, not the sign.

Its not just some prank from a 15 year old.
Old 24-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #28
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
In WA they have just imposed a new rule as of Dec 1 that a P plater that loses 4 points in the 1st year or 8 in 2 years will have their license cancelled and have to go through the whole thing again.

My son who got off his P's last month just got a camera ticket, $150 and 2 points for 10 kays over. Fair cop.

But we're about to start double demerits tomorrow and my daughter falls into this category as she got her P's after Dec 1. So if she gets caught doing 10kays over the limit in the next 12 months during double demerits she loses her license . I think thats a bit tough personally.

I'm all for road safety and particularly trying to get the message through to young P platers, but to lose your license for 10 kays over is too much.

Are these similar rules to other states?
May I suggest they invest in a decent radar/laser detector, the V1 works really well...

http://www.dontgetcaught.com.au/cata...84/5371757.htm

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #29
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
On the road as i stated, not the sign.

Its not just some prank from a 15 year old.
Are there signposts next to the road at both said locations then?

Old 24-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #30
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
May I suggest they invest in a decent radar/laser detector, the V1 works really well...

http://www.dontgetcaught.com.au/cata...84/5371757.htm

And then get charged for having a radar detector in the car???

Good advice