Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford: "We will never outsell Commodore again"

Interesting comments from Ford, perhaps they dont really care domestically if the next model is going to be big on exports.

I guess they kill the theory that Sportwagon simply substitued sedan sales.

Perhaps Ford are playing the underdog angle??

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/f...805-1idzk.html

Quote:
Ford has raised the white flag in its 33-year sales fight against the Holden Commodore.

The company is aiming to improve sales of its Falcon large car during the next year with a range of updates that include a styling refresh and a new four-cylinder engine variant but the maker admits it won't ever overtake Commodore sales.

Ford Australia vice-president of marketing, sales and service, Beth Donovan, says the Commodore's extra Sportwagon body style gives it an unassailable advantage.

''As a nameplate, we'll never outsell Commodore again because we'd have to outsell all those wagons as well,'' she says.

Advertisement: Story continues below ''But remember, our wagon is Mondeo wagon and in some ways you could make the argument that we fill all that space not just with that but also the Territory .''

Ford Australia discontinued the Falcon wagon last year, having decided not to introduce an all-new version in 2008.

The Commodore continues to dominate and has been Australia's best-selling car for 15 years, though the Falcon has had the occasional monthly success when comparing sedan sales only.

A new LPG engine has been added to the Falcon line-up and the four-cylinder petrol engine is expected to lower fuel economy to about 8.0 litres per 100 kilometres.

Donovan believes the four-cylinder will be a ''game changer'' but admits there's only so much that can be done to lift sales.

''[The segment's] down 53 per cent in 10 years,'' she says. ''It doesn't matter what dress you wear to the dance on that one.''

Ford is yet to confirm the long-term future of the Falcon, with one option being to replace it with the US-designed Taurus.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Default Re: Ford: "We will never outsell Commodore again"

Surely they could use a little more optomism?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Surely they could use a little more optomism?
Why? When the ford fans on here don't show any, Why should they?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
Enthusiasim, been to a car show lately, there's plenty of enthusiasm out there.
The people on here aren't the majority of buyers, it's a changing world. When they (Ford) say something like this I dont see people that post here going out to buy a falcon these are the same people that put crap on models like the GT Black
Ford are probably right they won't catch the fleeting sales of the Holden for the exact reasons they stated.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
AGREE!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
munners

Maybe they are just being honest and don't care about Falcon outselling Commodore but I bet they want Ford to outsell Holden....

Munners
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by munners
Maybe they are just being honest and don't care about Falcon outselling Commodore but I bet they want Ford to outsell Holden....

Munners
well thats right. The future according to Ford is not Falcon versus Commodore anymore. Their over it. Its whose on top including the whole range of vehicles. Ford are concentrating on other categories it feels are more important to its future.
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

FPV mondeo / Taurus anyone ??

Falc is on it's last legs. We've known that for years..... Admitting it openly may actually suggest that resources for further local development may be in jeopardy.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

I think the number one priority would be remaining profitable, irrespective of the mix of model names they sell......

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
burnz
VFII SS UTE

people don't say something for nothing..(ford marketing beth donovan)
so what is ford up to?
why come out a say that?

or is it a case of slow news day SMH...
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
StrokedXT
Banned

Like most companies they would rather cut a Profit then generate volume records.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is what ford had been reduced to.....

i grew up in an era when ford had the balls to take on holden, and beat them at their own game. for those old enough to remember, there was a time when ford had 24% of the market.....selling XE, XF, laser, telstar....
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I posted this earlier in FG 2 When.....
Old 08-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
Mad_Pom

If you look at what Ford does globally now, it does not like getting involved in incentives and would rather sell fewer vehicle at a profit, rather than chase volume share.
On the other hand GM still seems keen on comitting self destruction by buying market share with cost cutting and incentives.
I think Ford would like the product to speak for itself and not get involved in a pricing war and signal that it is not going to buy volume.
Now I know some here are not going to like reading this and will say that Ford is giving up, but I think it is more of a pragmatic business view and Ford are just showing greater business leadership.

Oh well fire away !!
Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #15
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Pom
If you look at what Ford does globally now, it does not like getting involved in incentives and would rather sell fewer vehicle at a profit, rather than chase volume share.
On the other hand GM still seems keen on comitting self destruction by buying market share with cost cutting and incentives.
I think Ford would like the product to speak for itself and not get involved in a pricing war and signal that it is not going to buy volume.
Now I know some here are not going to like reading this and will say that Ford is giving up, but I think it is more of a pragmatic business view and Ford are just showing greater business leadership.

Oh well fire away !!

Falcon has the highest fleet proportion of sales of any passenger vehicle in the country. They aint chasing profts.

And as a private buyers I can walk in to a Ford dealer right now and buy a new 2011 XR6 Falcon ute for $27990 driveaway or a XR6 sedan $32990 driveaway.

I think people are reading too much into "we will never outsell Commodore" In no way are Ford saying they have greater profit margins - they are simply saying they cannot outsell Commodore while they dont have a wagon.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #16
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Falcon has the highest fleet proportion of sales of any passenger vehicle in the country. They aint chasing profts.
Do you have a reference? There's been a lot of unevidenced data being thrown around here lately...

Quote:
I think people are reading too much into "we will never outsell Commodore" In no way are Ford saying they have greater profit margins - they are simply saying they cannot outsell Commodore while they dont have a wagon.
Yes that is right, but we'd need to know what the ATP (average transaction price) is on respective Falcon models to know if they are making money on the cars sold or not...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #17
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And that they are happy with Tez and Mondo covering.

This is a mistake IMHO
Diluting the Falcon Brand.
Tez Should be "Falcon Tez"

Dropping the LWB (and therefor Wagon) may have dropped something that, on face value, was not making profit, but it was contributing to the brand.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #18
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No it doesn't, the Commodore does!!

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...715-1hgi1.html
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The objective for Ford is chasing Toyota and Hyundai, not so much GM. Targeting GM all the time in some sort of juvenile "turf war" is distracting and occupies precious resources and money, something FoA is short on right now.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
The objective for Ford is chasing Toyota and Hyundai, not so much GM. Targeting GM all the time in some sort of juvenile "turf war" is distracting and occupies precious resources and money, something FoA is short on right now.
Apart from brand bias - I think it has become eminently obvious over the past 10 years that the AU market may not be able to support both the Falc and the Commodore in terms of growth sales. These 2 cars are natural competitors so its only natural to compare them. Small to medium car sales are outstripping these 2 larger cars BIG TIME. There will come a time when the MAZDA 6 and Toyota AURION are seen as TOO BIG and too thirsty as well.

The Falcon should really have had an LPG and Diesel option 5 years ago........its now catch up time and the market has moved on. Companies like HYUNDAI , KIA and the cheaper Chinese Imports are going to slay the "local" brands and we will all see a complete turnaround in the types of cars we see on the roads in the next 5 years or so.

Admitting that FORD will never outsell the Commodore is not admitting defeat per se , because in all honesty - it doesn't really look like FORD ever really engineereed an all out assault against the Commodore to begin with ( last 10 years ) - its more facing the reality of decreasing BIG car sales. The Commodore will be facing its own demise in due course regardless......the CRUZE is here and will almost certainly get incremental sales from Commodore losses.........problem for FORD will be ..........if people aren't buying the FALC..........what will they be buying ???????

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #21
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
The Falcon should really have had an LPG and Diesel option 5 years ago........its now catch up time and the market has moved on. Companies like HYUNDAI , KIA and the cheaper Chinese Imports are going to slay the "local" brands and we will all see a complete turnaround in the types of cars we see on the roads in the next 5 years or so.
i agree

The main reason i don't want falcon to stop is it's been going for so long (second only to beetle?) it's record-breaking. i wouldn't even mind too much if they imported a taurus and rebadged it Falcon.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

the falcon v commodore thing is getting so old that even the manufacturers agree. its just a handful of people on an enthusiast forum that compare sales each month and then bang on like little school kids about which one is better and how much better they could be if they were running the show. most of these members will never buy a new car anyway, let alone a new falcon of any sort!

GM Holden has higher overheads than Ford. they need to sell more cars to make it work. they are on 2 shifts as opposed to 1.

for me, the article wasn't saying we need a wagon, it was just saying that the commodore wagon has increased the sales of the name commodore, which they can't match with just the falcon brand. ford offer wagon in mondeo, and also territory. don't like it, then buy something you do like. plenty on offer out there. just don't whinge on a forum that the falcon doesn't come in every deriviative on the market. Ford stopped being the 'falcon' car company some years ago. they are here to sell fords, and are doing reasonably well it would seem.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #23
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
the falcon v commodore thing is getting so old that even the manufacturers agree. its just a handful of people on an enthusiast forum that compare sales each month and then bang on like little school kids about which one is better and how much better they could be if they were running the show. most of these members will never buy a new car anyway, let alone a new falcon of any sort!

GM Holden has higher overheads than Ford. they need to sell more cars to make it work. they are on 2 shifts as opposed to 1.

for me, the article wasn't saying we need a wagon, it was just saying that the commodore wagon has increased the sales of the name commodore, which they can't match with just the falcon brand. ford offer wagon in mondeo, and also territory. don't like it, then buy something you do like. plenty on offer out there. just don't whinge on a forum that the falcon doesn't come in every deriviative on the market. Ford stopped being the 'falcon' car company some years ago. they are here to sell fords, and are doing reasonably well it would seem.
Good point, whilst a few traditional ford and gm fans argue, the younger gen buy Euro hot hatches or rice... sad days.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #24
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I blame ford they didnt invest as much as holden did since the beginning, i remember in 2008 an article saying how holden spent $1 billion on the VE series and Ford spent half of that on FG so expect half the sale, what makes it worse the ****** marketing team Ford/FPV have got i havent seen an FPV commercial in weeks, has anyone seen the new HSV one with the V8 supercar? its absolutly better then moffats "wanna hear it again"
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #25
thedutchman92

FoMoCo Aus are getting really good at shooting themselves in the foot and then complaining about it
thedutchman92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedutchman92
FoMoCo Aus are getting really good at shooting themselves in the foot and then complaining about it
I sort of agree with you. It's like walking into a war with half an army and then accepting that you aren't going to win.

Ford has no direct rival for SS (XR8 - gone), Holden's wagon (Falcon Wagon - gone), SS Ute (XR8 Ute - gone), Statesman/Caprice (Fairlane/LTD - gone), and thats just a to name a few models off the top of my head.

You cant reasonably expect to keep up with sales of those vehicles when you don't offer a reasonable alternative. And before the usuals pipe up, Territory was not, is not and never will be a replacement for Falcon wagon, not everybody wants a Turbo instead of a V8 and to some people LWB DOES matter.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep B2TF is correct...

You cant downsize your models then try and complete with models you have no straight competition for, eg. wagon and fairlane.

Holden are stumbling too tho, its not as if Holden will be here for the next 100 years either, they could be gone after VF too if things dont pick up as they are only working at break even, even with Cruze they still are not out of the woods...

I have said it for years the Australian market is too small to continue on manufacturing 2 cars from the ground up for without a sizable export program for either of them. Both cars are world class when you compare with other Ford / GM offerings, they just never get the opportunity to prove themselves on the world scene.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #28
robbo/region15

We were hoping Sales would have boosted for Ford in the new financial........
Yet again we go back to 4 day weeks this month as a Tier 1 supplier.Then being told @ Broady on friday ,the Ute is to finish in 2012,replaced by the imported Ranger........These are uncertain times for all involved with Ford.At the stage now,you just take it week by week,we dont know whats around the corner...
robbo/region15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #29
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo/region15
Then being told @ Broady on friday ,the Ute is to finish in 2012,replaced by the imported Ranger
where you listing with your ears open??? I don't believe this for one second!! They is NO reason for Ford to stop this in 2012!!! None!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #30
robbo/region15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
where you listing with your ears open??? I don't believe this for one second!! They is NO reason for Ford to stop this in 2012!!! None!!
Yes,my ears were open.I have no reason for Treason here,im passing on what i was told while i was on site .
robbo/region15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post