tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default HDT 'Blue Meanie'

i see HDT have launched a new toy...?

http://www.bluemeanie.com.au/#/51

Old 09-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

looks much better than the VC tribute. I like it. The VK group A is my favourite commodore looks wise, and this is a very well thought out retro styling.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not too much on the net yet...this tops the google results :

Old 09-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Oh No!

I really like that. This and the other HDT are about the only cars that the flared look really works.

The original is awesome aswell.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
TP351
Lurker

I kinda like it. Needs the HSV taillight treatment though IMO. Unfortunately, wrong badge.......
TP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

350kw is decent too, and i see there is a supercharger option
tickford2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

VK GrpA Blue Meanie - mmmm 196kw back in the day

Favourite HDT

Like this tribute version too actually - interior needs to be toned down a tad if anything
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
fatxagt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks Fantastic,,,, oops did i say that?

Need a Windscreen? www.windscreensmelbourne.com.au
fatxagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
burnz
VFII SS UTE

notice the exhaust Grp 4
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have to say that looks effn incredible
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Noice! I saw a VC tribute on the road the other day and it actually looked better in the flesh than the pics.

But THIS, is sweet... be interesting to see it in the flesh, pretty friendly camera angles.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Noice! I saw a VC tribute on the road the other day and it actually looked better in the flesh than the pics.

But THIS, is sweet... be interesting to see it in the flesh, pretty friendly camera angles.
i've gotta say the same about the VE2 HSV's. I've seen 2 since the weekend - one im pretty sure was a media car (number plate: HSVR8) and one in the showroom at Waitara Holden. The front end actually looks pretty good but the bum still looks like a pile of puke.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks the goods - best looking version in my books, powers up there as well.

Wrong badge, but the colour's good. he he
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

that looks great, not over the top or anything, love the wheels.
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

that looks wicked! love it!
Old 09-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #16
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

howmuchizzit?

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #17
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default HDT revives Group A

Quote:
Originally Posted by words & photos - Joshua Dowling

Modern version of Brock 'Blue Meanie' breaks cover at Bathurst

Peter Brock may be gone but the legend lives on. A modern version of the most popular Brock Commodore road car ever made was unveiled at the Bathurst 1000 today -- and will be on the road by the end of the year. The new-generation HDT 'Blue Meanie' -- inspired by the 1985 VK Group A Commodore -- was unveiled by Bev Brock at Mount Panorama today (Friday, October 9).

"Peter would be very proud of this car," Bev Brock told the Carsales Network.

"He always wanted to get back into the performance car business and what has happened today continues his dream. This is the modern version of what Peter would have done today."

Brock said her racer husband never picked a favourite among his road cars but she said he had a "soft spot" for the VK Group A, which earned the nickname 'Blue Meanie' because it was: "lean and mean and built for Group A racing".

Priced from $77,000, the new Blue Meanie is the third in a line-up modern HDT heritage series of vehicles based on the latest VE Commodore SS and inspired by the original Brock road cars. They cannot be purchased at Holden dealerships; instead customers must first buy a Commodore SS and then take it to HDT for conversion.

Over the past two years HDT has released models inspired by the original VC Brock Commodore and the VH Group 3 Brock Commodore.

The 'Blue Meanie' is painted exactly the same colour (Formula Blue) as the 1985 original and wears the same nickname because of its tough appearance. HDT has even reproduced a modern version of the single-slot grille, race-car style rear wing and turbine-style wheels with centre areo disc.

As with the original Brock VK Commodore road cars, customers will have a choice of alloy finish or white wheels.

The show car is powered by a 500kW and 1000Nm supercharged 7.0-litre engine, but the road cars that will be offered for sale are based on the 6.0-litre V8 that comes with the Commodore SS. However, it will have modifications including a special cam, high-performance exhaust and an engine tune that, combined, produces a claimed 350kW of power.

To date, HDT has sold 30 retro-inspired cars -- 15 VC models and 15 VH models -- over the past two years, but it plans to produce 250 of the 'Blue Meanie' model. The new car is slightly dearer than a HSV Clubsport, but HDT says its car will be more exclusive.

"We are not competing with HSV, we are offering customers something who want a more unique package and who want what Brock would have built today," HDT owner Peter Champion, a long time friend of Peter Brock and former mining contractor, told the Carsales Network.

"I got the Brock bug after buying my first car years ago and I didn't stop," he said.

"There are a lot of people out there who, like me, are Brock fans and would love to drive a car that Brock would build today.

"When Brock retired from full-time racing we spoke about his dream a lot, and I've been fortunate enough to be in a position to try to continue that for him."

The Rockhampton-based 55-year-old owns the largest collection of Brock road and race cars in Australia. More than 40 vehicles from his personal collection are on public exhibition at Champion's Brock Experience at Yepoon on the central Queensland coast.

"This is without a doubt the biggest project we've undertaken," said Champion.

"The original 'Blue Meanie' Brock Commodores are the most popular among Brock collectors and that's why we think there will be strong interest in this car."

HDT has already taken its first order today and expects to have a handful of cars on the road by the end of this year.

The company is hopeful the modern version will share of the original model's popularity. An original VK Group A with just 94km on the clock and known affectionately as "the bubble car" because it was so immaculate, was sold at auction at the Sydney Motor Show two years ago for $250,000 -- the highest amount paid for a Brock Commodore on record. Typically, other Brock models fetch between $50,000 and $130,000.
http://carpoint.com.au/news/2009/lar...-group-a-16997
Old 09-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

JD would have been having a bat while writing that piece.

$77k is not bad, rather that than any HSV. Who runs HDT, is it an arm of HSV/TWR but not advertised? So many fingers in the pie over that side.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #19
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
JD would have been having a bat while writing that piece.

$77k is not bad, rather that than any HSV. Who runs HDT, is it an arm of HSV/TWR but not advertised? So many fingers in the pie over that side.
I believe it is a totally independant operation with no HSV type asosciation

Financed by that Peter Champion bloke
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #20
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

not a fan of any of these retro inspired VE...

what I WOULD like to see is somebody put the 20" retro HDT wheels on a VC or VK HDT
Old 09-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #21
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Well I think it looks wonderful. I think it is the best looking VE so far. I agree with the others on the VC copy been a little tacky.

This looks tough and I would own one in a second.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #22
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I loved the VK grp A look back in my teens when I was a non partisan enthusiast. The VE tribute looks great!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #23
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I quite like that, much better than the new E series.

Retro stlye done tastefully.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #24
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

non-factory = rice.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #25
Sprint347
Tickford

Is that $77k on top of the purchase of the SS?
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #26
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like it, looks tough as
Old 09-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #27
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

looks legendary
looks just plain tough. why don't they make tough looking cars anymore?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #28
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

iLike, but i think the wheels are a bit too much.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #29
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Peter Brock lives on in limited edition Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Blackburn, drive.com.au, October 9, 2009

A Queensland businessman has developed a modern version of the Brock Commodore based on the touring car legend’s 1985 Group-A VK Commodore.

The king of the mountain may be gone, but his spirit has been revived in a 21st century take on the VK Brock Commodore.

Queensland businessman and Brock fanatic Peter Champion today unveiled a re-make of the VK Group A Commodore raced by the nine-time champion at Bathurst in 1985.

The retro-styled car, which is based on the current model VE Commodore but has styling cues from the VK Brock Commodore of the eighties, can be bought for $75,000.

Champion has bought the rights to the HDT brand name that Brock established before his famed falling out with Holden in the eighties.

Champion, who has also set up a museum in Brock’s honour at Yepoon, near Rockhampton in Queensland, has previously developed retro versions of the VC and VH Brock Commodores, which have sold in very limited numbers.

But the new HDT Commodore, unveiled at Bathurst by Brock’s long-time partner Bev, will have an ambitious production run of 250 cars.

The general manager of HDT, Darren Gillis, says that although the company has only sold 30 cars so far, he expects the VK to sell in much bigger numbers.

“We feel this will be a lot more popular, because the VK was the most popular of the Brock Commodores,” he says.

He says the company is confident of re-building the nameplate that was once revered as the pinnacle of performance by Holden enthusiasts.

“We have been trying to put the HDT name back where it belongs. It was an icon in the 80s and we’d like it to be that way again,” he says.

The original HDT VK was a “homologation special” limited run of 500 cars, designed to qualify the model for Group A racing at Bathurst.

As new, the car cost $21,950 and put out 196kW, slightly more than the current base model Commodore.

The VK model is now probably the most collectible of the Brock Commodores, with some models worth up to $120,000.

Buyers who order an HDT Commodore first have to buy a manual black VE SS-V Commodore (No autos are available) from a Holden dealer. The car is then re-sprayed in the original “Formula Blue” of the VK version, before undergoing extensive modifications to the engine, brakes and suspension.

Tweaks to the camshaft, engine management system and exhaust boost the car’s output from the factory’s 270kW to a hairy-chested 350kW. A more powerful, supercharged version putting out 500kW is available on request. The car also gets Billstein springs and shock absorbers. HDT covers the modifications under a separate warranty, as the changes void the Holden warranty.

Apart from the mechanical changes, HDT also makes modifications to the interior, including “HDT” embossing on the seats. A four-seat interior can also be ordered as an option.

Gillis says that while Holden does not endorse the HDT range, “we have a relationship with them”.
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=66261
Old 09-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #30
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I think it looks nice, ive seen afew VC retros on the road i must say they look a ton better on the road. Pity they dont come with the motor that powered the show car Whats next the VL Walkinshaw retro, wonder what that would look like.