Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Moffat and Johnson names being damaged ?

Allan Moffat and Dick Johnson are motor racing legends
...do you think the Moffat and Johnson names are being damaged by their sons,,,, steve johnsons lack of either winning a touring car championship or a bathurst crown in over a decade in V8s ,( not sure if he has won a v8 supercar race ),,,and James Moffat below average performance last year and the way he has started this year ....

Old 22-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Tomo1972

Default Re: Moffat and Johnson names being damaged ?

Throw in Perkins and you are onto something.
Old 23-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo1972
And throw the young Richard in the mix too!

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
Old 23-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo1972
Yeah, thats a tough one, Larry is a genius, one from the old school, tipo bush mechanic, he could and would drive a faulty/damaged vehicle and still bring it home, sometime a winner.

Jack does not have it, bit like Alan Jones son, just because you are a son of a champion does not a champion make!
Old 22-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Not sure about Steve, but I've always thought that James must be getting a free ride based on his surname.
Old 22-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

My answer to the OP question: Nope.

Lukeyson
Old 22-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
Sep 97 EL XR8
Miami power

I don't think they are damaging the name, all you need to think about is Michael Schmacher and Ralf Schmacher.

You never think of Ralf.

I believe it will be the same for Johnson and Moffat
Old 22-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

James Brock and that hacker Steven Richards, crikey he only won Bathurst a couple of times.
Amateurs.
I'm sure anyone sitting in a V8stupercar has a bit better ability than you think.
Old 22-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Nope.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 22-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Definitely NOT!!! It is comments, and questions like this one that do more damage than anything else.
For mine both James, and Steve are great competitors in their own right. Both have at times struggled, and no doubt both cursed, and loved the lineage into which they were born.
They are completely seperate people, & as such should be treated, and respected as such.

Would you condemn a man just because his father was a bad person?
To the same token should you expect someone to be better than the rest simply because of who their parents were??
Old 22-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Definitely NOT!!! It is comments, and questions like this one that do more damage than anything else.
For mine both James, and Steve are great competitors in their own right. Both have at times struggled, and no doubt both cursed, and loved the lineage into which they were born.
They are completely seperate people, & as such should be treated, and respected as such.

To the same token should you expect someone to be better than the rest simply because of who their parents were??
this...
Old 22-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
this...
Are the Moffatt, & Johnson names being damaged by their sons...
Old 22-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Are the Moffatt, & Johnson names being damaged by their sons...
no way.. never..
Old 22-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't criticise James Moffat as he has barely started his career in the main series. But I do think it's a little outrageous to say their fathers' names are being damaged.
Old 23-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

So why let the thread run? Its obviously a bogus question and pretty rude to familes that have done alot for the brand.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 22-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not at all.
Old 22-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #17
wulos
Forum Director

exactly my point...;)
Old 22-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
B-1B
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most definitely not!

Why are antagonist posts from members with high post counts so common now?
Old 22-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Is Bruno Senna damaging the Senna name? Of course not. The only person who can damage their name is that person themselves... For example Michael Schumacher is a legend but his decision to come back isn't doing his own name any favours right now, just maybe diluting the legend a bit.
Old 22-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #20
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

its a whole different era now. a different type of racing to when the fathers were in behind the wheel. at that time the dads were the top of their game, now someone else is. so what , very rarely in any business or career does the offspring of someone hugely successful match the acclompishments of the parent.
but saying that, if brock-dick- moffat- etc were driving today would they be doing any better then their sons ???? nobody will ever know and most of those nobodys will even care.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 22-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #21
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
its a whole different era now. a different type of racing to when the fathers were in behind the wheel.
You got that right. These days there's only a second or two seperating the entire field in qualifieing.
On the weekend at Phillip Island, Mark Winterbottom qualified with 01:32:1320 and Steven Johnson with a 01:33:0660 and James Moffat with a 01:33:7291 .
It would be alot harder to race and win these days.
Old 22-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #22
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not at all , there names are concreted in the `hall of fame` IMO , what there sons do carwise with there careers etc will never take promise over what there fathers did,, ( member of the 40+club so younguns might not get this)
Old 22-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #23
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

I never seen it as the best racing driver ...more as the best drivers in racing .there is always someone better than you and no doubt even in Dick and brocks days there could have been a better driver just watching who never got into racing .
The sons almost had it sorta pushed upon them in a way , dad owns race car ...boy will probably drive race car ...all top drivers with nothing to prove , but just be the best they can be , with all doing an admiral job ...

Wish my dad had a racecar ...always thought about it and really its a lot of dedication and cost , for little benefit ...f1 on the other hand , if I could ...well I would ...
Old 22-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #24
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave
...do you think the Moffat and Johnson names are being damaged by their sons,,,, steve johnsons lack of either winning a touring car championship or a bathurst crown in over a decade in V8s ,( not sure if he has won a v8 supercar race ),,,and James Moffat below average performance last year and the way he has started this year ....
Johnson yes... Steve is hopeless & should retire.

Moffat no... James did a FANTASTIC job last year, I dont know why you think he performed below average. Young dont just come in a start winning in the first year... This year as been disappointing by DJR Falcons are dogs
Old 23-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #25
Big Bird 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Johnson yes... Steve is hopeless & should retire.

Moffat no... James did a FANTASTIC job last year, I dont know why you think he performed below average. Young dont just come in a start winning in the first year... This year as been disappointing by DJR Falcons are dogs
Steve will never be looked at in the same light as his old man but the competition and quality of the cars is a lot different than in the group C and A days when there were a lot of uncompetitive cars racing and some only a few times a year at that.
I think it is unfair to say that he is hopeless,he probably should retire from a fulltime drive but he is definitely not hopeless.
I think Steve's problem has been that he has spent about 80% of his time in cars that have been uncompetitive and because of that he does'nt have that killer attitude and is too kind to his car.
I think when we look back on Steven Johnson we will remember him as a driver who was very consistent despite not always having a great car,a driver who was clean and very fair and a very good endurance driver.
Old 23-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 17
I think Steve's problem has been that he has spent about 80% of his time in cars that have been uncompetitive
I think SJ's problem is he never left the nest. Dick should have sent him out to find his own drive with another team for a couple of years, not only to see how other people do things, but to also broaden his appeal. This should have been done when he was at the top of his game a few years back. He was improving steadily and could have gotten a drive with a respectable team.

He's spent 100% of his V8s driving career at DJR and i think he's getting the drive because he's related, not because of his talent and i'm sure most other people do too.

the others mentioned i think are just suffering from living in the shadow of giants.
Old 22-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #27
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

They're racing in different eras....All are accomplished drivers....Doesn't matter whether the jnr's have won championships or bathursts or not....it takes a lot of skill to set up a car and control it at the insane speeds they're doing.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 23-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #28
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with Joe5619 sadly. I had such high hopes for Steve but he hasn't come up with the goods and time must be running out. Moff on the other hand is still young and there is plenty of time for him.

Both are suffering from FORD not supporting DJR which is why I'm suspecting a change of car next year to something like... Mazda or some other Japanese marque
Old 23-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #29
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

All the sons of the greats are OK in my book, win or not, go for it !
Keep an eye out, as there might be another Brabham on the block before too long.......
Old 23-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #30
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave
Is Sir Jack Brabham's name damaged by his son or grandson competing? Is Carl Lewis' name damaged because his kids can't run fast?
Is Ned Kelly's criminal name lessened by his kids being good people?
Stupid thought, stupid thread
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Closed Thread