Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default north Korea at flash point ?

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/un...-1226617936354

Just read the article, towards the bottom of the the page it says , Australia is at risk, i was already thinking that, very very little mentioned from our pollies about contingency plans should something happen.
this bloke kim jong un, he`s hard to read, just don`t know what he`s going to do next, my thought is he may well just let South Korea and US sweat for sometime and then he might do something dumb when they are not expecting it (or when he thinks the are`nt expecting it,hopefully not), i would`nt like to play poker with this fellow.

mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
nstg8a

Default Re: north Korea at flash point ?

The us has so much hardware round there I'd be surprised if a missile got more than a few hundred Kay's past the border.

They may have a massive army but they're tech is a long way behind the yanks.

If they launch anything seriously then the Iraq 'shock and awe' campaign will look like fireworks in comparison.
Only spoiler is if china decides to support North Korea on the sly...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

...meanwhile, in the US...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As this thread is topical I will let it run but if it goes silly it will go on holidays along with those responsible.

dong ma?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets hope its all the usual talk and bluster, if not, things may certainly get bad very quickly.
Cobramad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobramad View Post
Lets hope its all the usual talk and bluster, if not, things may certainly get bad very quickly.
Agree....

We don't have as much to worry about as the South Koreans. Seoul is very close to the 38th Parallel / DMZ and they will bear the brunt of any attack should it happen....

The North Korean agenda is built on propaganda and chest beating... Lets hope it stays exactly that way.

The North / South border is heavily monitored by a combined South Korean / US contingency. If anything were to happen the response would be swift.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
nstg8a

I almost think there might be a few countries hoping that nk does launch something, just to force the USA to shoot it down, been a while since the USA has had anything substantial to shoot down.
I'd say military leaders everywhere will be curious about just how capable/possible it really is to shoot down ballistic missiles.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

If anything, it can see it being the next "cold war"...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, its cold and hungry enough for the majority of the NK population who without continued food aid, would be starving, or at least, even hungrier than they already are.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
nstg8a

Yeah I read somewhere that the us has 28000 troops stationed there permanently, willing to bet that number is substantially higher at the moment.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Yeah I read somewhere that the us has 28000 troops stationed there permanently, willing to bet that number is substantially higher at the moment.
I have been to one of their bases. Go to certain areas in Seoul and you will hear more American accents than Korean.

The best DMZ tour is run with the help of the US Army. It is pretty full on when you go to the border... very strict rules about conduct and even dress... and the North are watching you from their watch towers as you are watching them... that, and the tunnels the North dug when trying to invade are very eerie...

Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel the greatest threat to regional stability is a conventional war, NK has a massive standing army. For the first time in years, the SK are saying they are prepared to respond to any NK action. This will certainly hear things up.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found it interesting that after NK's last "nuclear test" surrounding countries were very interested in testing the air for traces gases that are always released after an atomic explosion, so that they can examine them and work out yield, what the bomb was made from, and what sort of standard it was.

This time they found...none. Not any. Interesting.

Another interesting fact is that atomic weapon yield is measured in tons of TNT...1 kiloton equals a thousand tons of TNT, 1 megaton equals a million tonnes, etc.
Did you know if you do as the Americans did back before they actually started real atomic testing, and pile up a thousand tons of TNT and blow it up, you get almost exactly the same explosion as a one kiloton nuke?

Except there wont be any radioactive trace gases released...as with a real nuke blast...

There are suspicions that North Korea may not even be able to actually build a proper nuke, and merely blew up huge amounts of conventional explosive underground and said to the world proudly "look at my nukes!", in an effort to frighten everyone and look better than they actually are...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I found it interesting that after NK's last "nuclear test" surrounding countries were very interested in testing the air for traces gases that are always released after an atomic explosion, so that they can examine them and work out yield, what the bomb was made from, and what sort of standard it was.

This time they found...none. Not any. Interesting.

Another interesting fact is that atomic weapon yield is measured in tons of TNT...1 kiloton equals a thousand tons of TNT, 1 megaton equals a million tonnes, etc.
Did you know if you do as the Americans did back before they actually started real atomic testing, and pile up a thousand tons of TNT and blow it up, you get almost exactly the same explosion as a one kiloton nuke?

Except there wont be any radioactive trace gases released...as with a real nuke blast...

There are suspicions that North Korea may not even be able to actually build a proper nuke, and merely blew up huge amounts of conventional explosive underground and said to the world proudly "look at my nukes!", in an effort to frighten everyone and look better than they actually are...
I've read a few opinion pieces that say basically the same thing, that the nk military capability is being vastly over stated, some say by the North Koreans themselves, some by the western media and military 'experts'

Other than a massive standing army they seem to have a pretty basic style of military, relying on tech like scud missiles etc. scuds didn't work so well for saddam. All of their longer range stuff is very much untested.
Even their showpiece long range missile they proudly displayed recently is widely considered to be a mock up or fake.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobramad View Post
I feel the greatest threat to regional stability is a conventional war, NK has a massive standing armyactually For the first time in years, the SK are saying they are prepared to respond to any NK action. This will certainly hear things up.
I agree mate, how many times have we seen over the decades wars fought and the aftermath being basically small civil wars that go for years and years, it's anyones guess how this will end up playing out, I think any responses on the part of the US will have to be very carefully measured, even though north and south are at war I suspect the little people in the street of north and south are still very much country men if you know what I mean.

Maybe I'm wrong but I could see a bit of rebellion from the south if US annilated the north, I suspect this is what kim jong actually wants.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep, DMZ tour is a must for any bloke visiting SK

As is Hiroshima in Japan
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

How long does NK think it will last if they kick this off. The US can shoot down any missles they launch, and then holy hell will rain down on them. Their military would be effectively useless within a day or 2, except for the troops.

But what good is a whole mass of troops without any thing to back them up, probably no communications, power etc as that stuff gets targetted first.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Kim Jong Un has been a naughty boy. The Americans need to go in, pulls his pants down, and give him a good spanking.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
Motorbreath310

I could imagine the NK troops storming across the DMZ/Border, making it to Seoul or any other major city, then saying "you know what? It's nice here and we have liberties and food. Screw the regime!"

Like this chick did;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-1...lusive/4621358
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #20
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any version of logic seems to escape the NK leadership, yet I feel for their people who are, for the best part, starving. Why such a massive army when you cant feed your own populace?
Old 11-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #21
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very similar setup to Vietnam isn't it? A war where America had a superior Army, Air Force and Navy and still lost..
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #22
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Very similar setup to Vietnam isn't it? A war where America had a superior Army, Air Force and Navy and still lost..
Except that the modern us military is a lot more superior than it was in the early 70s.

Cruise missiles and stealth bombers really do make the playing surface rather uneven.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is absolutely nothing like Vietnam.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
But the North Koreans don't have a jungle to hide in, which makes a Vietnam style scenario impossible. It would be more like Iraq the first time.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
But the North Koreans don't have a jungle to hide in, which makes a Vietnam style scenario impossible. It would be more like Iraq the first time.
The south is very mountainous, very little is area is actually lived on (hiking is almost a national passtime). The north with its lower population and larger area would be much the same.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
The south is very mountainous, very little is area is actually lived on (hiking is almost a national passtime). The north with its lower population and larger area would be much the same.
But it doesn't have the dense rainforest cover the VC used, the only real way to find them in the thick jungle was to search them out or ambush/be ambushed.

Not having that coverage makes destroying their equipment so easy for the US Air Force. Just look at Iraq, it was a turkey shoot.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #27
Rodge
Banned

This is uncanny and very un-nerving, it feels like a re-run of the Cuban missle crisis.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #28
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Huge stakes, just as before!!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #29
Rodge
Banned

Another worry, (apart from a conventional war which could be extremly protracted), as I see it is that if the North Koreans somehow do manage to land a single nuke strike or a chemical weapons strike, what response will that draw from the American's ? I'd speculate there's more than a few Nuclear equipped submarines sitting off the coast of North Korea right about now and each one carries a vast nuclear arsenal...

Last edited by Rodge; 11-04-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #30
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kim Jong Un is on a power trip...He's talking tough to try proving himself to his people.
2 users like this post: