Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
xywagonxtpanvan

Default order Falcon Gli get a Fairmont Ghia

when i was younger i remember dads mate telling me about work colegues (ford production line workers) ordering base model cars for themselves and then fitting every option possible as the car went down the assembly line.

has anyone got one or seen one, what would they be worth?

xywagonxtpanvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: order Falcon Gli get a Fairmont Ghia

Hate to be cheeky, but as much as a fairmont ghia?
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
xywagonxtpanvan

just a title, not to sure of what came out, but im sure it was possible
xywagonxtpanvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
Elements

There's one very well documented case that still gets bought up quite frequently in Broady. This was called the "L____ Pack" (surname withheld because it's a public forum). This guy ordered a GLi, snuck on some Ghia trimmings, got caught, and made an example of.
Elements is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
RAPID_BA
Banned

i have a ba xr8 fitted with climate control, leather and premium sound. did someone on the assembly line fit my car with a "L___ pack" surname withheld 6pm special.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

LOL as above

Because the tags would say GLI there is no real proof that the parts put on are factory.

Id be more interested in finding the truth about it, because AFAIK everything is JIT and synced, unless they were able to horde parts and wait until it came down the line. Even then thats a long stretch.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A base plated car with higher spec options fitted, would be worth about as much as all the cars people have done the same to after purchase, nothing special.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
A base plated car with higher spec options fitted, would be worth about as much as all the cars people have done the same to after purchase, nothing special.
This.
Old 19-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

well as much as people like to doubt such things, there were not as many stock controls in the past, my parents ordered a new ex fairmont in 82 & my uncle was at ford at the time, my parents paid for a std fairmont & got the following thrown in so to speak:
electric windows,
electric antenna
stump guard
it's not a huge list i agree but all 3 found their way onto the car at no cost, i think the key was to do things subtly back then & not make it too obvious,
back in 68 , my mums cousin was a supervisor at ford & when she ordered her new XT it took 6 weeks to make, he later told me many years ago the the car was re checked 3 times at every stage & had been seam welded just as often, he's also had gt shocks, am radio with speaker & a couple of minor things thrown in for good measure too.
so i'd say yes it did happen in the past just not in an extreme way, also back then if you knew someone you could arranged un usual options too
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

A former workmate used to work for the "other" car company did pretty much exactly that. As he worked for the company, he knew pretty much when "his" car was coming down the line, so when it arrived, he got a call from his mate on the line. During the interior fitting, it got the full works from a Statesman in an otherwise standard VS (I think) ute.

He also said that this couldn't happen today as all the relavent parts are barcoded or similar and the assemblers wouldn't be able to substitute upmarket parts.
Old 19-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have seen very late model cars (last month or 2 of production) fitted with quite a few upspec parts like xd/xe/xf gl's fitted with fairmont/ghia seats and parts,bonnet badges etc.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reminds me of the late Johnny Cash's song 'one piece at a time' -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHni...eature=related
Old 19-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think they done it to flash them up a bit when they were just about to release a new model so they sold easier.they also may have had excess fairmont parts so they but them in a base model to get rid of the parts.

Last edited by big_landau; 19-10-2011 at 09:46 AM.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #14
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_landau
i think they done it to flash them up a bit when they were just about to release a new model so they sold easier.they also may have had excess fairmont parts so they but them in a base model to get rid of the parts.
i read they did that to get rid of the 'phase 4' parts, stuck them on anything.
Old 19-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
jcxr
Tribal Elder

There was some weird and wonderful cars built at Broady in the early years, something that would never happen now.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A superintendent in the 60's had a XA panel van made with a 351 which I believe was not an option back then? Simpler times my friend. I don't imagine it could ever happen today?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #17
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
A superintendent in the 60's had a XA panel van made with a 351 which I believe was not an option back then? Simpler times my friend. I don't imagine it could ever happen today?
XAs came about very late 1971 Gobes!
gcg2503 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
RAPID_BA
Banned

Was there any such thing as a police pack?

I know that people claim the older cars had more performance as a police special.

I had my ecu interrogated by a tuner in the 90s when I owned a ex pursuit car and they said it had a different map but wouldn't make any additional performance with it. It was still a 165kw spec V8
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #19
johnno3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA

I know that people claim the older cars had more performance as a police special.

I had my ecu interrogated by a tuner in the 90s when I owned a ex pursuit car and they said it had a different map but wouldn't make any additional performance with it. It was still a 165kw spec V8

I had a 1969 XT Fairmont, factory V8 (must have been one of the last XT's). It had the bigger XW vented disc brakes & calipers (these could well have been fitted later in its life) & had a speedo with 1mph graduations on it as opposed to the 5mph graduations on standard XT speedos. When I paint stripped it back to metal, there was a drilled hole in the roof, antenna maybe? As it was a V8 fairmont & not a Falcon 500, I'm thinking it wasn't a standard patrol car but maybe a detectives car?
I don't know which state's used XT's for cop cars, but it spent almost all of its life in SA as it had a very early 'R' rego plate on it
Any thoughts or info anyone?

2001 Honda VTR1000 SP-1
97 Honda XR400
Stored Projects
64 MK1 GT Cortina
66 Fairlane GT
johnno3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA

As per Polyal Police spec was 'K' code or in the later models 'OPT20'. No real performance upgrades in the OPT20, it was more electrical and suspension.
Old 19-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #21
johnno3

Interesting thread.
I worked at Holden's at the Elizabeth plant in 1984. When an employee ordered a car, the foreman would come around to each work station & let us know it was an employee order. The foreman would also supervise the work done on the car at each station under his responsibility, as it went down the line, to make sure the car was as good as it could be. I don't remember any unauthorised options being fitted other than extra coats of paint, but the attention to detail was quite intense. I don't know if this practice was officially sanctioned by Holden senior managment but they surely must have known about it.

2001 Honda VTR1000 SP-1
97 Honda XR400
Stored Projects
64 MK1 GT Cortina
66 Fairlane GT
johnno3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #22
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
XAs came about very late 1971 Gobes!
Woops, my bad. I must admit that when I was told the story the gentleman infact told me it was the 70's too. Slight brain fade.

Employees have been stood down over "value adding" their vehicles. There was a case of one employee during BA launch fitting sat nav to their vehicle. He was found out and disciplined. It is not worth your job, seriously.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #23
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Police Packs where usually K codes (not always) and some dealerships would tweek them a bit. I cant recall exactly but there was a really good article in an AMC magazine.

But again, todays police packs are nothing like they used to be, usually brake and rims package (just premium) and the smaller tacho readouts.

Anyone else wish they could go back to the 60's/70's?
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #24
OLD BALDY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XA's were optioned with 351 I bought a P'van new, called G.S. bought from Strapp Ford Doncaster Vic. Had an XW G.T. as well ( G.T. was stolen and stripped. I demolished! the X.A. rallying it for a year!!!) The XW was one of the last built came with clev motor, rear and front spoiler, extractors etc from X.Y.
OLD BALDY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #25
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I heard that there were XF GL sedans fitted with 427's from factory by employees for themselves!!!!!1111oneone

Nope, it's just a whole lot of BS like some of these 'anecdotes'.
Old 19-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ford also had a process for special purchasers or press vehicles. The cars were pulled off the line at preset points and had a full QC process done it, as well as extra stuff like boot lid liners added etc.

My dad got one of his BA XR6's done this way when he told the plant manager his car was coming through and gave him the SIDO. But Ford scrapped this a few years ago and no employees could get it done anymore.

As Gobes said, one guy in Broady told his mates on the line to fit extra stuff like leather and satnav to his BA, but got busted by the dealer who knew those options weren't ordered on the car. He claimed he knew nothing about it and it was a production mistake, but he got fired for it and later re-instated, but then resigned.

You could get away with that sort of stuff in the good old days but you can't now.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #27
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ford still did weid stuff in the late 90's my 1998 nl failane v8 one of the last ones built has a ba fuel pump factory fitted! i know this because i had to get the local ford dealer to change it as the nl one didn't fit and you need a special tool for the ba one!!!!!
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #28
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
ford still did weid stuff in the late 90's my 1998 nl failane v8 one of the last ones built has a ba fuel pump factory fitted! i know this because i had to get the local ford dealer to change it as the nl one didn't fit and you need a special tool for the ba one!!!!!
That doesnt make sense, the BA didn't come out until 2002, 4 years and three models after your fairlane.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
That doesnt make sense, the BA didn't come out until 2002, 4 years and three models after your fairlane.
There was no such thing as BA parts when the NL was in production.

Unless he meant AU, which was introduced the same year, which would be nothing out of the ordinary as Ford start fitting some parts from the next model into the previous one.

For example, FG's have been fitted with the different FG II/SZ Territory air con bracket for the past 2 months.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #30
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember the news report when they shut down the old rear-wheel-drive Holden Gemini assembly plant in, I think, Brisbane. As the employees were leaving, the news showed hundreds of Geminis rolling out the gate from the parking lot, all employees cars...two door coupes, vans, sedans, the lot.
I couldn't help but wonder how much better than average those cars would have been screwed together because they'd know that "This one is Bills car...make sure you do it right...pass it on"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post