Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Holden called me...

I am in the market for a new car, so have called into a few dealers.

Over the past week, my wife and I have been inundated with calls from Ford and Holden (we don't mind).

I just got a call from a large Holden dealer, we got chatting and I said I have my own business and want to keep an eye on the economy over the next couple of weeks, so call me in two weeks.

He said that last week was their worst week, that he has ever seen. And offered me a Commodore Equipe at an unbelievable price

Tempting, but I already have a large car. However, that's not the point.

Are potential new car buyers doing what I am? Watching the economy? If so, this could be bad for our local guys; what with the high dollar and low exports.

Not good.

especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Holden called me...

selling large family cars in oz is probably the hardest car type to sell in an unknown economy. It is certainly a buyers market out there and by the sounds of it, the Holden dealer is desperate to move stock on. If you were willing to look at the large car market, you could have pressured the dealer further I would presume. But this isn't a new tactic with dealers. If they can see you are genuine to buy, they will hound you for a sale even if it means a possible loss.

Just my 2c

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Majestic

what was the price you were offered for the Commodore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep

Over the past week, my wife and I have been inundated with calls from Ford and Holden (we don't mind).

I just got a call from a large Holden dealer, we got chatting and I said I have my own business and want to keep an eye on the economy over the next couple of weeks, so call me in two weeks.

He said that last week was their worst week, that he has ever seen. And offered me a Commodore Equipe at an unbelievable price

Are potential new car buyers doing what I am? Watching the economy? If so, this could be bad for our local guys; what with the high dollar and low exports.

Not good.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic
what was the price you were offered for the Commodore?
34ish. If he's willing to mention that over the phone, what could we sort out face to face?

Sounds ok http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257926001C6EB5

Damn, nothings ever easy is it? And to think that we almost signed up for a Focus two weeks ago, we would have been happily cruising now. Instead, we're holding off.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
And to think that we almost signed up for a Focus two weeks ago, we would have been happily cruising now. Instead, we're holding off.
We did Focus Sport $30k, its features, quality and equipment far exceeds the Commodore and Falcon and Focus is European built.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
We did Focus Sport $30k, its features, quality and equipment far exceeds the Commodore and Falcon and Focus is European built.
Ah... no it isn't. As far as I'm aware the only Focus in recent times shipped directly from Europe was the old XR5 / ST. Not that 'European built' means a thing, just ask some people who have owned such cars.

Focus is a fantastic package all the same, all current models are built in Thailand.
martyk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54
Ah... no it isn't. As far as I'm aware the only Focus in recent times shipped directly from Europe was the old XR5 / ST. Not that 'European built' means a thing, just ask some people who have owned such cars.

Focus is a fantastic package all the same, all current models are built in Thailand.
Nope. Current LW Focus models are sourced from Europe. Production is expected to switch to Thailand some time this year. Then, hopefully, the supply restriction will ease, and Ford can sell bucket-loads of them.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan

European built just means it's no fun to work on therefore more expensive and costs a lot for parts
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54

Build tag says in built in Germany...
http://www.caradvice.com.au/130859/f...cus-review-lw/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezxr8man
European built just means it's no fun to work on therefore more expensive and costs a lot for parts
For us its a bonus a European build, either way we always support the badge..

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Nope. Current LW Focus models are sourced from Europe. Production is expected to switch to Thailand some time this year. Then, hopefully, the supply restriction will ease, and Ford can sell bucket-loads of them.
Supply has been issue for the titanium and sport since release sales are up 28% on the Focus and this is before it knocked off the GTI Golf as Drive car of the year..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

quite common to be called by car salesman especially if they are selling large cars.....I was getting two or three a week when it was known I was "in the market"

highly competitive field, one that i'm glad I'm not part of!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

http://www.holden.com.au/latestoffer...mmodore-equipe

$34990 drive away

would I pay $35k for something with dubious build quality and a 3L wheezy V6?

NOPE
Old 10-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
http://www.holden.com.au/latestoffer...mmodore-equipe

$34990 drive away

would I pay $35k for something with dubious build quality and a 3L wheezy V6?

NOPE
+1 and not at any price. That sisi motor couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. You get what you pay for, always have, always will.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
+1 and not at any price. That sisi motor couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.
the engine is fine, its actually pretty gutsy and with 190kw its really good on fuel.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
Paxton
Cobblers!

Think about it this way John - the Equipe will always be a Poverty Package, tarted up, and with the POS 3.0, whereas either the Focus or Cruze (did you look at the Jetta?) will be higher up in the range, with more fruit in them, and better resale, when that time comes.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Think about it this way John - the Equipe will always be a Poverty Package, tarted up, and with the POS 3.0, whereas either the Focus or Cruze (did you look at the Jetta?) will be higher up in the range, with more fruit in them, and better resale, when that time comes.
Yeah, your right. What had me thinking was the options list, it's long.

The Jetta is nice, the base model is well priced.But model I want with the options, value for money is long gone. Talking Mondeo Titanium territory, for a nice car with an ugly 80's dash (though the missus like the dash, I could not live with it).

I've decided to wait on a few things.
See if Ford change their thinking with the Focus
Waiting for a close friend in Holden to give me some intel on the Cruze upgrade.
Anything else that may catch our fancy.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They are doing them much cheaper then that...

I had one offered to me at $29 kay drive away...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
They are doing them much cheaper then that...

I had one offered to me at $29 kay drive away...
Called me back; clerical error price is 32499 with options, drive away.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Yep...

Id buy one over a focus as I am looking at a Focus Diesel too, even though the Commodore will use more fuel it should be more comfortible... the come with a free reverse camera too atm.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ha Ha. Love it! Sorry, I was holding my rrp card upside down. It's heaps cheaper now. Please come back :(
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #20
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Not good.
Imagine if you worked for the government you would be jumping for joy but owning you own business and the new tax coming out only all the wage earners will get extra money to compensate for a year or two maybe.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #21
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does the Equipe have leather as well??? I would honestly take a well equipped Falcon or Commodore over a Focus or Cruze - the big cars have very similiar economy nowadays to these heavy small cars.

Talking to a roofer he has never seen his work so quiet, its scary as these guys have mortgages, equipment repayments, advertising, car payments etc - these dont go away when he has no work.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #22
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yep the equipe has leather.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #23
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Yep the equipe has leather.
A rear wheel drive large V6 sedan with leather and camera, 18inch wheels, touchscreen for 32 large? Man, I wouldnt even go near a Cruze or Focus.

See if Ford could do something similar.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Equipe has a Calais V series 1 interior pretty much.. same cluster, seats, leather etc.

Its good value for 29 kay!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #25
Rodge
Banned

For a few thou more he could have a car (XR6) that actually steers, handles and makes proper torque
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For a few thou more he could have a car (XR6) that actually steers, handles and makes proper torque
I have seen FG1 Limited Edition XR6s for 31,990 with leather which would be a great car. When you are spending 20 grand on a Focus you cant really cross-shop with a local car, but once you start spending up to 35g on the Focus its probably worth checking out the deals on a Falcon (or Commodore).
Old 10-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im no Holden lover but 2 of those things are actually better in the VE then they are in the FG...

As for the torque well ill let you have that one, but we are comparing a V6 to a 4 cylinder here (some diesel).
Old 10-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #28
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The car is for the wife, she's no race car driver. The Falcon is not on her radar, she just does not like the looks of it. She was keen on the Focus, but that's over.

My wife has never been a Commy or Falcon person but the next door neighbour has a one, and my wife likes it.

I've told her no, because of the size, but the pricing is going to make it hard for me when I get home

Old 10-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #29
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The car is for the wife, she's no race car driver. The Falcon is not on her radar, she just does not like the looks of it. She was keen on the Focus, but that's over.

My wife has never been a Commy or Falcon person but the next door neighbour has a one, and my wife likes it.

I've told her no, because of the size, but the pricing is going to make it hard for me when I get home

With rear parking sensors and rear-view camera, some of these large cars are quite easy to live with.

With a family we tried the one large car and one small car approach. I traded in the small car 7 months later ha. But we live in the sticks.

Were you looking at a Focus sedan or hatch?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #30
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
With rear parking sensors and rear-view camera, some of these large cars are quite easy to live with.

With a family we tried the one large car and one small car approach. I traded in the small car 7 months later ha. But we live in the sticks.

Were you looking at a Focus sedan or hatch?
Sedan.