Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Default Ford's technology: in R&D and hitting the market

I've seen in a number of posts a good deal of interest in technologies that Ford is working on, has been working on, and is coming out with, so I am creating this thread to make known what Ford is hitting the market with and what they are working on to bring to market ASAP. Realize that this is in the US but I am sure will migrate to any country where the technologies would sell.

We have an expression in the US when we talk about our military capability. We might talk about how a missile can be aimed from a boat 25 miles away and hit any mailbox you want, and at the end of your choosing. Then we ponder, if the military will let us know about this, what do they have that they won't let us know about?

I bring this up because Ford is much the same way.

There are quite a number of videos on Youtube that either Ford has put on there or the media has put on there highlighting something that Ford has done or is doing. I know there is just too many videos to look for and at, so I am going to link to some that I think are very significant or of interest to people here.

This first one is something that is hitting the market within the next few months, if not already. Besides highlighting the technology it also expresses the thought that goes into it, the nuances of the driver, in another technology Ford is working on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O6Eb2M8Uus

Personally, I am very interested in the "Cross Traffic Alert" system to relieve my paranoia while backing out of a parking space in parking lots, and inconsiderate drivers just barrel down the isles.

And for those that thought only Lexus was clever enough to come up with a car that park's itself.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7n9nMLS8sU

Pardon the commercial at the beginning. Anyways, one of the comments on this video says that using this technology looks easier than on the Lexus. This is due out in mid-2009.

There's just a couple. I will be back to discuss these technologies and to post links to more.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good stuff. i think they will take a while to make their way to australia, but it's good to see they are keeping up with technology
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Heres another

Ford announces self-parking technology
By Erin Conroy , AP, December 31, 2008

Ford's new self-parking technology uses ultrasonic sensors combined with electric power steering to angle and guide a vehicle into a snug parking space.

Sit back, relax and let your car parallel park itself - without a single scratch or ding to your bumper.

That's what Ford Motor Co said on Tuesday about its new self-parking technology, which it announced will debut as an option on the 2010 Lincoln MKS sedan and the new seven-passenger Lincoln MKT luxury crossover vehicle.

The technology uses ultrasonic sensors on the front and rear of the vehicle, combined with electric power steering to angle and guide it into a snug parking space - all with the push of a button.

Ford is not the first to introduce cars that practically park themselves. Toyota Motor Corp's Lexus luxury line has a video camera-based parking system that can calculate whether the vehicle has enough clearance for a particular spot.

But Ford's technology is easier to use and works in downhill parking situations, unlike competing systems, according to Ford's president of the Americas, Mark Fields.

"This one-touch function will be much safer to use and less intimidating," Fields said. "It's all part of our strategy to introduce smart technology to a vehicle that will make our lives easier."

The driver will still need to shift the transmission and operate the gas and brake pedals, as a visual or audible driver interface advises about the proximity of other cars, objects and people. Still, the driver never has to touch the steering wheel.

The sensor system also monitors blind spots, and can notify the driver with a warning indicator light in the side view mirror if something is detected or if traffic is approaching. Meanwhile, the electric power steering can improve fuel economy and reduce carbon emissions because it is powered by the vehicle's battery rather than hydraulic pump systems, Ford said.

The company plans to fit nearly 90 per cent of its Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles with electric power steering by 2012.

The parking assistance technology will be featured at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January, and will be available in its new models in mid-2009.

Among Detroit's automakers, Ford is considered the best positioned to weather the industry slump and has said it does not need federal loans to survive, but its sales have withered and its stock has plunged.

Fields said pricing on the new models was not available, but added he believes it is an affordable way to eliminate unease about parking.

"I don't know about you, but when I was taking my driving test, parallel parking was the most stressful part," he said.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Self parking's for blonds..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Self parking's for blonds..

Hey, a lot of people have a hard time backing up a trailer, though I think nothing of it. And for those that like to show off...."Hey, can your car do this?"

I figure there are those that fear parallel parking just like backing up a trailer.

What are we going to do with hydrogen fuel cell cars if there is an infrastructure for them? How are these cars going to move at an acceptable speed? What kind of acceleration will they have? Well, if they could get one of these cars to go over 200 MPH would you be pleased?

Sure, the system in this video is specially built but the car is a production car. Most significanly, they make a GREAT point near the end of the video!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfsg101mEQw

Here's a video that is 2 years old promoting Ford's hybrid vehicle that uses a fuel cell to charge batteries that powers the vehicle. You can plug it in at night and possibly drive all day in town on just that electricity. The batteries that Ford has now, compared to when this video was done, have a longer range. Also, if you are driving longer than the electrcity stored from home takes you the fuel cell will continue to charge the batteries and keep you going. This is a Zero emissions vehicle.

The video also mentions the world's first flexible fuel hybrid vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeRFHMeXcM4

Yeah, Ford's been working on this stuff a while. Some of it has already hit the market (Hybrid Escape and Mariner) and is hitting the market in about 4 months (second gen Hybrid Fusion and Milan, most fuel efficient mid-sized sedans in US market).

Ford will have a completely electric vehicle on the US market in 2010 (Transit Connect) with an all electric sedan to follow after that.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'm very appreciative of the contributions you continue to make Steve. It shows Ford, for all of the trouble it's had lately and the restructuring measures it's taken, may just have a good future after all. There are some great projects in the pipeline!

Many thanks and Happy New Year!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Nice links. Thanks Steve.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And just goes to shw that ford can match it with the others and exceed the expectations of the masses. Lexus tech at falcon prices love to see that :

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

sorry to go off topic so early in the piece but that lincoln (i think) in the parking video in the first post looks very similar to an FG.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 01:54 AM   #10
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or my wife!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

cool ad !
Old 04-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
RATT
In a Pug..

Excellent thread. Subscribed!
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 07:20 AM   #13
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Today's video is entitled Ergo Days. This is when Ford Engineers work for a whole day on the assembly line to "get intimate" with the assembly jobs. It helps them to understand why some of their ideas don't work for the process and also enables them to think of other methods to make the job less dibilitating, safer, and with the best possible quality.

You will see an articulating arm being used to install a console. You might think it makes the job "too easy" but let me give you some light on that since I have been there.

The console is a bulky item and you have to keep it close to your body or else you hurt your back while holding it away from your body, like when you are setting it into the vehicle 450 times a day. Also, you would have to enter the vehicle on your knees or sit and twist while positioning the console into position to install it. Again, 450 times a day, 2,250 times a week, is a strain on your muscles. This articulating arm removes these problems and prevents bodies from getting "eaten up".

The "Happy Seat" is another item you see that makes the worker look lazy. I've seen this item replace the "old way" too.

The old way was to carry your electric or air gun, foot stool, maybe some parts, and you wore pouches around your waist with fasteners in them, into the vehicle. There is nothing on the floor yet except for contoured painted metal, some mounting brackets, and wire harnesses. Everything is hard, edgy, and irregular. You climb into the vehicle bent over with your stuff in your hands, set your stuff down, sit on your foot stool, and go to work hunched over. Sometimes you have to get on your knees to finish certain parts. Climbing in and out of vehicles with your arms loaded while bent over, working hunched over, and moving around on your knees used to always eat up a lot of people. This happy seat goes in low enough so that the worker doesn't have to work hunched over and they also don't have to hurt their back getting into the vehicle. Again, 450 times a day....you feel the benefit right away. You won't see a whole lot of them on the line. In our plant there was only 2. They were to perform the same job on opposite sides of the vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BspTY...eature=channel

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 AM   #14
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

The 2.0L engine in the 2009 Ford Focus is a PZEV engine, which means Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. What does that mean? Watch this commercial and find out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ncjt5QJGs

Yes, as clean as a Prius and even cleaner than some other hybrids, for those for whom the environment is one of the biggest concerns.

You can also read in Ford's Business Plan.....

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=29505

....their plans for electric vehicles....

Ford provided initial details of an accelerated vehicle electrification plan for a family of hybrids, plug-in hybrids and battery electric vehicles. The plan includes a Ford full battery electric vehicle (BEV) in a van-type vehicle for commercial fleet use in 2010 and a BEV sedan in 2011

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
Today's video is entitled Ergo Days. This is when Ford Engineers work for a whole day on the assembly line to "get intimate" with the assembly jobs. It helps them to understand why some of their ideas don't work for the process and also enables them to think of other methods to make the job less dibilitating, safer, and with the best possible quality.

You will see an articulating arm being used to install a console. You might think it makes the job "too easy" but let me give you some light on that since I have been there.

The console is a bulky item and you have to keep it close to your body or else you hurt your back while holding it away from your body, like when you are setting it into the vehicle 450 times a day. Also, you would have to enter the vehicle on your knees or sit and twist while positioning the console into position to install it. Again, 450 times a day, 2,250 times a week, is a strain on your muscles. This articulating arm removes these problems and prevents bodies from getting "eaten up".

The "Happy Seat" is another item you see that makes the worker look lazy. I've seen this item replace the "old way" too.

The old way was to carry your electric or air gun, foot stool, maybe some parts, and you wore pouches around your waist with fasteners in them, into the vehicle. There is nothing on the floor yet except for contoured painted metal, some mounting brackets, and wire harnesses. Everything is hard, edgy, and irregular. You climb into the vehicle bent over with your stuff in your hands, set your stuff down, sit on your foot stool, and go to work hunched over. Sometimes you have to get on your knees to finish certain parts. Climbing in and out of vehicles with your arms loaded while bent over, working hunched over, and moving around on your knees used to always eat up a lot of people. This happy seat goes in low enough so that the worker doesn't have to work hunched over and they also don't have to hurt their back getting into the vehicle. Again, 450 times a day....you feel the benefit right away. You won't see a whole lot of them on the line. In our plant there was only 2. They were to perform the same job on opposite sides of the vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BspTY...eature=channel

Steve

Working on the line?? FoA graduates have to do two weeks work on the line. Should hear the talk from the buys when they get some nice girls in there....lol I know I took the long way when I was walking about the plant!!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Working on the line?? FoA graduates have to do two weeks work on the line. Should hear the talk from the buys when they get some nice girls in there....lol I know I took the long way when I was walking about the plant!!

I wish all the engineers could do 2 weeks on the line. That is when you get the most sore. There is so much to be gained by actually doing the jobs.

I remember my first two weeks on the line, maybe 3. We were working 10 hour shifts and I had found muscles I didn't know I had. After walking about 1/4 mile from my work station to my car in the parking lot I just fell into the car seat and rested. After a couple minutes I would raise my leg to push in the clutch and start the car and my legs just hurt so much.

We've got our share of nice looking girls on the line. But of course with the good comes the bad too......

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 08-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #17
Transfiguring R

"You can drive green, and save green". <- I like that.

Seems like Ford are really working hard.
Transfiguring R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #18
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfiguring R
"You can drive green, and save green". <- I like that.

Seems like Ford are really working hard.

You bet. They've spent probably more money than any auto maker on research over the past several years. If not the most then at least among the most.

Bill Ford gave the green light for innovation and Derrick Kuzac took the reins off the engineers several years ago and the results have been amazing.

Something else that does not get reported is the ideas submitted by employees. There is a site where employees can submit and discuss innovative ideas that cover every facet of the automotive business and products. Thousands and thousands of ideas have been submitted and a number of them have been developed and instituted.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #19
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Something else that does not get reported is the ideas submitted by employees. There is a site where employees can submit and discuss innovative ideas that cover every facet of the automotive business and products. Thousands and thousands of ideas have been submitted and a number of them have been developed and instituted.

Steve
Thats basically what happens at 3M, I did case study on open source product planning at Uni. Quite interesting stuff.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #20
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Thats basically what happens at 3M, I did case study on open source product planning at Uni. Quite interesting stuff.

Yeah, it's nice to have several heads working on ideas, even better when you have tens of thousands from all walks of life and experiences.

3M's a great company!

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 08-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #21
SilentDave

"Here's a video that is 2 years old promoting Ford's hybrid vehicle that uses a fuel cell to charge batteries that powers the vehicle. You can plug it in at night and possibly drive all day in town on just that electricity. The batteries that Ford has now, compared to when this video was done, have a longer range. Also, if you are driving longer than the electrcity stored from home takes you the fuel cell will continue to charge the batteries and keep you going. This is a Zero emissions vehicle."

Ohio XB if it is zero emission vehicle how do you charge it up at home????? (only having a bit of fun as everytime i hear of electric cars you have to use power stations to charge them up)
SilentDave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #22
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Dave
Ohio XB if it is zero emission vehicle how do you charge it up at home????? (only having a bit of fun as everytime i hear of electric cars you have to use power stations to charge them up)
Nuclear Power plants don't have carbon emissions :
Old 08-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #23
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentDave
"Here's a video that is 2 years old promoting Ford's hybrid vehicle that uses a fuel cell to charge batteries that powers the vehicle. You can plug it in at night and possibly drive all day in town on just that electricity. The batteries that Ford has now, compared to when this video was done, have a longer range. Also, if you are driving longer than the electrcity stored from home takes you the fuel cell will continue to charge the batteries and keep you going. This is a Zero emissions vehicle."

From your area's hydro-electric or nuclear power station. :

Or don't plug it in and only use hydrogen for the fuel cell.

I wasn't going to let you get away with that one. :

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:44 AM   #24
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

don't know if you've already mentioned this one Ohio XB....

Ford are working on some pretty innovative active safety systems where by they are developing in conjunction with other manufacturers and the US department of Transport, car<->car comms and car<->infrastructure comms.

You can imagine the benefits here... imagine early warning of another car about to run a red at an intersection, or you are alerted because a car ahead has applied significant brake pressure.

all very possible and under test already.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #25
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
don't know if you've already mentioned this one Ohio XB....

Ford are working on some pretty innovative active safety systems where by they are developing in conjunction with other manufacturers and the US department of Transport, car<->car comms and car<->infrastructure comms.

You can imagine the benefits here... imagine early warning of another car about to run a red at an intersection, or you are alerted because a car ahead has applied significant brake pressure.

all very possible and under test already.

I have not heard of that one before. Thanks for the info!

I know they have sonar sensor awareness to judge braking distances and the car will start braking for you if you are not noticing that the car ahead is stopping and your distance is too short for the speed being travelled.

I hope there isn't a need to totally idiot proof a car. You would think that people have to have some level of responsibility to drive. I know there are cars in California that, once on the highway, you sit back and the car drives itself. It's still a test but it's working. People read the paper while the car drives itself.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 09-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #26
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
I have not heard of that one before. Thanks for the info!

I know they have sonar sensor awareness to judge braking distances and the car will start braking for you if you are not noticing that the car ahead is stopping and your distance is too short for the speed being travelled.

I hope there isn't a need to totally idiot proof a car. You would think that people have to have some level of responsibility to drive. I know there are cars in California that, once on the highway, you sit back and the car drives itself. It's still a test but it's working. People read the paper while the car drives itself.

Steve
No problem.

Like you said there's the auto cruise control type technologies that monitor distance etc, but this is somewhat different.

As far as I know, the calibration could be as flexible as audible/visible alerts to intervention, I guess it comes down to the tests and what they can achieve.

I do believe there is already a particular intersection in Dearborn that is setup for this which they're currently using for testing purposes.

And on the idea's front, anybody that would like to submit their own ideas and maybe one day see it born by FoMoCo, go to http://fordnewideas.com ;)
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #27
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the vids ect steve

it is great to get an inside bit of info as to what ford us are implimenting and not just sitting back and seeing what happens

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #28
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimus
thanks for the vids ect steve

it is great to get an inside bit of info as to what ford us are implimenting and not just sitting back and seeing what happens

Jason

You're welcome. Also realize that most all of what I have posted is already in the public realm which Ford has put out there.

So if Ford is willing to make this cool stuff public, imagine what they have under wraps!

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 14-01-2009, 07:13 AM   #29
axeray

Looks good.
axeray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 02:04 AM   #30
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Ford's Powershift transmission will have 6 speeds, two dry clutches, shift automatically or manually, and no transmission fluid. The system is 30 pounds lighter than current "wet" 6 speed trannies.

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=29738

PowerShift provides the full comfort of an automatic with a more sophisticated driving dynamic, thanks to uninterrupted torque from the dual-clutch technology, which consists essentially of two manual transmissions working in parallel, each with its own independent clutch unit. One clutch carries the uneven gears – 1, 3 and 5 – while the other the even gears – 2, 4 and 6. Subsequent gear changes are coordinated between both clutches as they engage and disengage for a seamless delivery of torque to the wheels.

In North America, a dry-clutch derivative of Ford’s PowerShift transmission will be used for added efficiency and durability. A dry clutch transmits power and torque through manual transmission clutch facings, while most automatic transmissions utilize wet clutch plates submerged in oil. As a result, the dry-clutch PowerShift transmission does not require an oil pump or torque converter, providing superior mechanical efficiency.

“A dry clutch is a real sweet spot for lighter vehicle applications,” said Piero Aversa, manager, Ford Automatic Transmission Engineering. “PowerShift is more efficient, it saves weight, is more durable, more efficient and the unit is sealed for life, requiring no regular maintenance.”

There's a lot more at the link.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!