Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Help with deciding tow vehicle

Hey guys.
My Grandparents are after suggestions for a tow vehicle for their caravan.
Here is the core things they need:
Comfort
Ability to tow 2000kg plus
Must be 4wd to go onto the beach and into rough terrain
Must be ok on fuel
high teens, low $20k at auction prices (only buy from auctions)
Im open to suggestions, what do people here think?
I said Territory, 6 speed auto, AWD.
I say this as the gearbox is world class, its a basic falcon engine and gearbox so parts arent a problem, and there are plenty of ones around for parts. Its easy to convert to gas, to save on running costs, its got plenty of torque from low down, and they are fairly comfy.
The only negatives are the rust problems (how much warranty on rust do you get these days, 5 years still?), and its a bit thirsty when towing, as is everything when towing.
If we get one for the right price, it will get an LPG conversion, probably a custom tune to help with economy, and a proper tow kit and built auto to suit towing with large trans, it needs to last around ten years, as thats about as long as they want to keep driving.
Anyone else got any suggestions for me please?
Thanks.
Josh

Old 20-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
4VCLEVO
XA GT

I would have thought a turbo diesel would be the go, probly a twin cab of some sort. I have been in a few mid spec and so called sports models, there all comfortable. Stay away from base models and models aimed at farmers, very hard suspension.
If you could pick up a tery 6 speed auto, it would be better to drive and can tow up to 2300kg with heavy duty tow pack, trans cooler and load leavling suspension.

Last edited by 4VCLEVO; 20-09-2009 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Didn't get to finish my post, had to put my little girl to bed.
4VCLEVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

I thought maybe a Ranger, and they fall within the price range, but just the ease of parts availabilty and commoness (if thats a word, lol) of the engine and gearbox is what had me thinking Terry.
Old 20-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
veqlargh

I've been thinking about a tow car for myself lately. Been looking at utes like the ranger and navara, or maybe on old f250.
veqlargh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

When you say rough terrain,what clearence would they be needing underneath the vehicle?

5 years from the date of purchase for structural warranty.

The 3ltr TD Ranger is a great bit of kit,priced well too.

Last edited by FreddyDUZ747; 20-09-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: add
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Toyota Prado turbo diesel.
The choice of the grey nomad.
Old 20-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Land Rover Discovery. Just bought one for $19,000 with lots of extras. Look for the latest model possible - anything after 2000 is good.
I used to tow with out bf xr6t. In comparison the 4x4 is solid as a rock, cruises at 100km/h easily, uses far less fuel, and feels way safer.
Lots of stuff to keep me happy with the disco - cruise control, climate control, 6 disc cd stacker, comfy seats, good visibility. I never thought i would like driving a truck day to day, but this one has me converted
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yep, Prado would be my choice.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nissan Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel. it's 4WD has good ground clearance & is Solid Axle= excellent off-road ability

Engine> Bullet Proof
Gearbox> Bullet Proof
Diff's> Bullet Proof

Plenty of room, Comfortable, 130ltr fuel capacity.

Granted you'll likely be paying 22-$28,000 for one but it will already likely have Bull Bar spot lights, And good AT Tyres fitted and even lifted suspension added up this is at least $5000 of aftermarket kit for nothing.

If they want a 4WD for beach and ruff terrain and not knowing exactly what they mean by that i wouldn't be recommending a territory, due to a lack of ground clearance and No Duel range T/Case.

Last edited by Green X; 20-09-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Nissan Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel. it's 4WD has good ground clearance & is Solid Axle= excellent off-road ability

Engine> Bullet Proof
Gearbox> Bullet Proof
Diff's> Bullet Proof

Plenty of room, Comfortable, 130ltr fuel capacity.

Granted you'll likely be paying 22-$28,000 for one but it will already likely have Bull Bar spot lights, And good AT Tyres fitted and even lifted suspension added up this is at least $5000 of aftermarket kit for nothing.

If they want a 4WD for beach and ruff terrain and not knowing exactly what they mean by that i wouldn't be recommending a territory, due to a lack of ground clearance and No Duel range T/Case.
I agree with this, i've also heard to steer away from the petrol model as they like to go bang alot.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I saw a super long wheelbase F350 flatbed tow truck at Kedron today for $8500 - that should everything they need and more!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #12
capriv8

Prado, meets all requirements, easy for parts or repairs plus the 180 litre fuel tank.
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 02:33 AM   #13
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

Any 4WD with a modern common rail turbo diesel will do the job. Smaller (2.5 litre or less) engines are a bit "peaky" and need a few revs to get the boost up. Magazine and forum reports have stated that the Territory is a good bus but very thirsty when towing a rig of that size.

Prados are good, but you pay for that badge. Pajeros are also good. Post 2002 Patrol 3.0 litre (exploding engine issues were sorted by then) or any 4.2 litre. Just about any dual cab. the sky is the limit!

For range, go diesel. For running cost around town, petrol LPG (note that LPG usage increases a lot when towing, and LPG is expensive out of town)
Old 21-09-2009, 02:48 AM   #14
cowboy
Cowboy

Depends on the size of the van too. Are they after a dualcab ute or a wagon? Patrol 4.2 is bulletproof and hugely capable off road, would be my choice. Prado is a good vehicle but not as capable in the rough stuff.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 03:54 AM   #15
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

My parents used to own a Caravan yard here in SA (The Caravan Man). Our 4x4 tow vehicle was a 97 Land Rover Discovery TD. An absalute DREAM car. Beautiful to drive, Light, heavy duty, Fantastic to tow with, VERY comfortable.
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #16
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

From a lot of experience, , I think they should look at a Patrol 4Cyl Turbo Diesel...

The Territory will DRINK HEAPS OF FUEL !

Oh , and the Patrol will have good resale value.... ( so would a Diesel Prado )
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #17
The Monty
Just slidin'

Thanks all. By the looks of things it will be either a turbo diesel ranger, Prado, or Patrol. Just comes down to comfort and mod cons which we will look at when buying.
Thanks for all the replies.
Old 22-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #18
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

I will probably be a lone voice here but you will get a really late model low kilometre Nissan Patrol 4.8l 5 speed sequential at govt auctions for $21k.

Really torquey straight six 24v twin cam. Like a big RB26.

People think they are guzzlers and they are until you do LPG.

Unbeatable tow vehicle unless you go F250 class.

I have had 2 of them. One used as part of a small fleet of commercial 4x4 tour vehicles and the other as a tow car.

Convert to LPG and really economical to run.

Towed our race car interstate many times. Our transport driver Ivan (who owns a Landcruiser Turbo Diesel) was a bit embarrassed to drive it at first and complained at the start of the season but by the completion of the second interstate trip he declared it "Really surprising. Considerably better than the Landcruiser).

Our GVM was about 5.4 tonnes with spares etc.

Not that your parents will do it but 140 - 160kph cruising for hours with 5.4 tonnes is no probs as well.

Sydney to Goulburn under $35 with 5 tonne. Try that in a Corolla.

A similarly priced Prado will be much older, have higher kilometres and probably less fruit and mod cons.

Similarly priced 4.2 Patrol will need 11 litres of oil every 5,000k's. Adds to running costs and they do not drive anything like the big 4.8 which is more car like to drive. In a tank kinda way.

The guy who bought mine over 12 months ago still rings me. He LOVES it. He is in Broome with his van now.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #19
cowboy
Cowboy

Actually fair call Walt, a mate has one of these to pull his race boat, he loves it. Only drama is if they are touring in remote areas gas can be near on impossible to get. Sometimes even petrol is difficult.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #20
kronik_wake

Get a 100 series landcruiser. Tough as nails, never needs servicing (:P) and will pull anything. Turbo diesel is probably the way to go especially towing. Won't look back.
kronik_wake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #21
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik_wake
Get a 100 series landcruiser. Tough as nails, never needs servicing (:P) and will pull anything. Turbo diesel is probably the way to go especially towing. Won't look back.
Mate he won't get a Turbo Diesel 100 series for under 30k unless it's been abused or has 1/2mill k's on the clock!!

RuTTus
"I agree with this, i've also heard to steer away from the petrol model as they like to go bang alot."

Your thinking of the 3.0Ltr Turbo Diesel Patrols, and yes they did have problems, apparently fixed in the latter versions but still if i was retired and on a Budget i wouldn't risk it!
GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel, It's a dinosaur Engine but it'll keep on keeping on.
4.8 Petrol as someone else said, but it'll be a bit like towing a Van with a 5 liter V8 a heap of fun but far from cheep.

Last edited by Green X; 22-09-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 01:19 AM   #22
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Mate he won't get a Turbo Diesel 100 series for under 30k unless it's been abused or has 1/2mill k's on the clock!!

RuTTus
"I agree with this, i've also heard to steer away from the petrol model as they like to go bang alot."

Your thinking of the 3.0Ltr Turbo Diesel Patrols, and yes they did have problems, apparently fixed in the latter versions but still if i was retired and on a Budget i wouldn't risk it!
GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel, It's a dinosaur Engine but it'll keep on keeping on.
4.8 Petrol as someone else said, but it'll be a bit like towing a Van with a 5 liter V8 a heap of fun but far from cheep.

Will from the auctions. Plumber on a job i've been on bought a turbo diesel 100 series with 120,000km on the clock out of brisbane 12 months ago for $28k. Had it frieghted to Perth for $1600. Private sale here they were about 40k, amazing what you can find if you look in the right spots.

3.0L TD Pootrols go bang anywhere between 100,000km and 200,000km, even less sometimes. Like driving a grenade with the pin pulled and not knowing when. They got better with age, but GU series 4 is still experiencing the same dramas, just with less frequency.

Having towed 2 + tonnes with all 3 -
The 4.2L Intercooled TD is a total slug. Bullet proof off road, but very thirsty and very slow. Also the old mechanical injection banger is costly to squeeze more power out of.
The 3.0L Intercooled commonrail TD drags a load with much less effort than the 4.2, power upgrades are as simple as plugging in an aftermarket computer like DP chip or a stienbauer module. But, they're a roll of the dice mechanically in the long term.
The cruiser will drag 2 - 3 tonnes all day every day with absolutely no sweat. I pulled an empty car trailer to sydney from geelong sitting on about 120 the whole way up. 989km and used 129L of diesel (12.9L per 100km). Travelled back same day with an XR6 on the trailer and sat on 110 with cruise the whole way home. Dropped a gear on about 3 hills around wagga and glenrowan the whole way back, 986km and 127L of diesel.
3 patrols in the family all struggling to get under 14.5L per 100km unladden.

4800 Patrol is a ball tearer, brilliant for towing, but drink lots. Then if you get one on gas you end up with all the other dramas that gas brings.

TD 100 series is going to be at a price premium, but worth every cent in my opinion.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #23
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a Ranger and love it. Tows my meduim sized caravan better than our Territory AWD and uses much less fuel to do so. I have mates with D40 Navara's, current model Hilux's and Rodeos. All are great to tow with too. But do not get an auto version if you are concerned with economy!
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #24
kronik_wake

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
Will from the auctions. Plumber on a job i've been on bought a turbo diesel 100 series with 120,000km on the clock out of brisbane 12 months ago for $28k. Had it frieghted to Perth for $1600. Private sale here they were about 40k, amazing what you can find if you look in the right spots.

The cruiser will drag 2 - 3 tonnes all day every day with absolutely no sweat. I pulled an empty car trailer to sydney from geelong sitting on about 120 the whole way up. 989km and used 129L of diesel (12.9L per 100km). Travelled back same day with an XR6 on the trailer and sat on 110 with cruise the whole way home. Dropped a gear on about 3 hills around wagga and glenrowan the whole way back, 986km and 127L of diesel.
3 patrols in the family all struggling to get under 14.5L per 100km unladden.

TD 100 series is going to be at a price premium, but worth every cent in my opinion.
100% true. And basically never will you need to open the bonnet. 100 series if you can find a cheap one is the perfect way to go.
Old 23-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #25
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty

4800 Patrol is a ball tearer, brilliant for towing, but drink lots. Then if you get one on gas you end up with all the other dramas that gas brings.
LPG on mine was F A N T A S T I C

They are REALLY good tow vehicles

Not to be confused with the 4500 ancient rubbish.

By far ther pick up to $25k. You should get a 2006 or 07 for about $22k and then do the LPG. Mine was the old fashioned system but was unreal. SAME power as 98 pump gas.

If you need diesel for remopte areas I would think the Pajero TD is the go for the $$$

The 100 series is great but overpriced. By about $15k to $20k for similar year/k's to 4800 Patrol.

Last edited by Walt Kowalski; 23-09-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #26
Veefore

Pajero turbo diesel.
My parents went through the list a couple of years ago looking for something to tow their 27 footer. The Territory (my choice) was unsuitable, the Landcruiser was too expensive and the Nissan was too thirsty. In the end, the Pajero was cheaper, more car-like to drive which made it great for the long hauls but was still capable of going anywhere my dad wanted to take it (he's an old bush-basher from way back). The Paj has now been around australia once and done the half-lap taking in Alice and Coober Pedy as well as numerous Perth-Broome and Perth-Exmouth trips. It has been totally reliable and very economical.
He had never had any interest or considered a Mitsubishi before but this vehicle has changed his mind.
Veefore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #27
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veefore
Pajero turbo diesel.
My parents went through the list a couple of years ago looking for something to tow their 27 footer. The Territory (my choice) was unsuitable, the Landcruiser was too expensive and the Nissan was too thirsty. In the end, the Pajero was cheaper, more car-like to drive which made it great for the long hauls but was still capable of going anywhere my dad wanted to take it (he's an old bush-basher from way back). The Paj has now been around australia once and done the half-lap taking in Alice and Coober Pedy as well as numerous Perth-Broome and Perth-Exmouth trips. It has been totally reliable and very economical.
He had never had any interest or considered a Mitsubishi before but this vehicle has changed his mind.
Good choice. The Paj is a very under-rated 4WD.
Old 23-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #28
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any TD 4wd at the auctions will be an ex-rental, fleet, government etc vehicle and will be well and truly flogged out.
Also for $20k you arnt going to get a Patrol with the 3.0L Common rail as they didnt come out until late '07.
Also wouldnt go near a Land Rover unless they want to spend their retirement going from one mechanic to another across the country.

I reckon a Pajero would be the best bet, just not one from the auctions.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #29
kronik_wake

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Any TD 4wd at the auctions will be an ex-rental, fleet, government etc vehicle and will be well and truly flogged out.
Also for $20k you arnt going to get a Patrol with the 3.0L Common rail as they didnt come out until late '07.
Also wouldnt go near a Land Rover unless they want to spend their retirement going from one mechanic to another across the country.

I reckon a Pajero would be the best bet, just not one from the auctions.
Not necessarily, remembering the 'financial crisis' a lot of cars at auctions are repossed and the banks are just trying to get some money back, not necessarily flogged. You just have to know what to look for.
Old 23-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #30
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik_wake
Not necessarily, remembering the 'financial crisis' a lot of cars at auctions are repossed and the banks are just trying to get some money back, not necessarily flogged. You just have to know what to look for.
If someone cant afford the repayments on a vehicle, do you think they could afford the servicing?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post