Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Trucks to be banned from right lanes on Freeways from mid year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/tru...-1225836456458

Old 03-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Great news
Old 03-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just saw this myself, they could have done this years ago on citylink as they slow down to 20km/h exiting the tunnels in the right lane. It may have saved some lives if done earlier but instead they just reduce the speed limit at certain times causing a massive bottle neck and ask to avoid lane changes... I see they also have slapped on a huge fine if a truck touches the right lane... More revenue as always...
Old 03-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
kezzer

Thankyou!!!!
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

To what extent has this been thought through? Multi lanes meaning 2 or more? So if a truck is behind a caravan getting towed sitting on 80 on a 100km/h road it will be illegal for them to overtake?
Old 03-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
To what extent has this been thought through? Multi lanes meaning 2 or more? So if a truck is behind a caravan getting towed sitting on 80 on a 100km/h road it will be illegal for them to overtake?
It's only for the major arterials which are 4 lanes or more.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
It's only for the major arterials which are 4 lanes or more.
Well that's fair enough then. Am not familiar with the roads quoted in the article.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Never really saw this as an issue, very rarely have I seen this....now motorists driving 80 in the right lane on the freeway is increasing.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Never really saw this as an issue, very rarely have I seen this....now motorists driving 80 in the right lane on the freeway is increasing.
Is it because there afraid their going to get pinged for going close to the speed limit?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
Is it because there afraid their going to get pinged for going close to the speed limit?
Doubt it, they just sit there while other undertake them. All they have to do is move over one lane and then they wont cause chaos.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Good news for you guys down South. I heard about that in WA years ago, and thought it was a great idea for 3 lanes. Not sure I'd be too happy if I was a truckie having to crawl around in the left lane on two laned roads though... Im sure that will put lots more pressure on truckies to deliver in the same time frame while being stuck behind other trucks and slow moving vehicles.

Not sure there's a win/win situation though...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 03-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
burnz
VFII SS UTE

nothing will get deliverd on time now.
putting up with slow cars looking for exit's, learners, caravans, old fart's.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
nothing will get deliverd on time now.
putting up with slow cars looking for exit's, learners, caravans, old fart's.

learners should be banned from any road with a speed limit of more than 80km/h full stop, and before anybody has a cry and says they need to learn, where exactly are the benifits of being passed by b doubles on the freeway?
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr82nv
learners should be banned from any road with a speed limit of more than 80km/h full stop, and before anybody has a cry and says they need to learn, where exactly are the benifits of being passed by b doubles on the freeway?
That is a stupid exclusive NSW law, we teach kids down here in real time, they can do 100 k's here and 110 on nominated roads.

L Plate drivers from NSW who drive in Vict can also do 100/110 down here.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so far its only 3 or more lane freeways for which this rule applies, and its about time. Just this weekend I was driving with my mate from Geelong to Melbourne, and as we watched a truck crawl past a car in the far right lane I commented on how it should be illegal for them to go near that lane. Next it should be made illegal for anyone to undertake - lets get some euro style freeway etiquette happening!

I'm dont think the rule should be introduced two lane roads though, like the ring road which is being considered.

Last edited by tranquilized; 03-03-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Next it should be made illegal for anyone to undertake -
what is undertaking?? passing another car, on a multi lane road, on the left or right is called overtaking and is perfectly legal. the only time it isn't is when it isn't a multilane road.

undertaking refers to the removal of dead bodies, no?
Old 03-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
what is undertaking?? passing another car, on a multi lane road, on the left or right is called overtaking and is perfectly legal. the only time it isn't is when it isn't a multilane road.

undertaking refers to the removal of dead bodies, no?
Actually undertaking is a correct term. Passing a car on the left is illegal.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
REALLY?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont recall that one being in the book. Any links?

Im sorry but in Vic you know the quickest lane is the left one. What if someone refuses to move out of the left side, naturally im going around!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
REALLY?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont recall that one being in the book. Any links?

Im sorry but in Vic you know the quickest lane is the left one. What if someone refuses to move out of the left side, naturally im going around!
All true and it is something that I do regularly, still illegal though.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Passing a car on the left on a single lane road is illegal. Passing on the left of a multilane is legal.

In theory, this sounds like a good move, but it doesn't account for all the twits getting stuck behind the trucks in the other (now slower) lanes, who poke their nose into high speed traffic while only doing 60 or 80 or whatever. I can just see some old granny getting cleaned up by a car in the fast lane, even though neither are speeding.

My prediction is that this will not effectively raise the overall speed in any lane; in fact, the "truck allowed" lanes may even be faster than the right (everyone will be jockying to get into the right, leaving the other lanes clear). I've always found the middle lanes to be quickest in Victoria; slow cars in the left, right hand lane hogs in the right, leaving the rest of us to travel at reasonable speed in the other lane(s).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #21
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

As for trucks sitting in the right lanes on 2 lane roads....Maybe spare a thought for the fact that they are avoiding all the low trees and power poles on the left. I drive a 3.9m high MR (sometimes a 4.2) and I'm quite happy to sit in the right lane so a dodgy dip in the road doesn't lean me into a power pole and rip the back open like a sardine can.

Cant imagine how sketchy it would be in a semi. So many people on here that have never driven a truck that just dont understand how much truck drivers have to look out for.

Would you prefer a truck driving in the right lane or traffic down to one lane because a power pole has been hit?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
nope, look up the road rules yourself. if all cars have their own lane, passing on the left is perfectly legal.

while your looking at the regs, you'll notice there is no mention of the word 'undertaking'!! if you pass another car, whether it be to the left or right, you are overtaking it! pretty simple.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #23
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I generally dont have a problem with trucks being in any lane on a freeway, they are a pain in the **** when they are in every lane (incl the right) at red lights and take till the next red light to get moving...but no probs for me on freeways

On a side note you have to love bus lanes that let the bus take off before the traffic then just after the intersection theres a bus stop withOUT a seperate lane for the bus to pull into its stop, so it can pull up in the left and block the traffic...Brilliant
Old 04-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #24
LTDHO
The one and only

Everyone needs to read road rule 130

Quote:
nope, look up the road rules yourself. if all cars have their own lane, passing on the left is perfectly legal.
Also, take a look at road rule 141 including a, b and c. Ironically, if 130 is being applied, 141 a,b and c would not take effect.

Quote:
while your looking at the regs, you'll notice there is no mention of the word 'undertaking'!! if you pass another car, whether it be to the left or right, you are overtaking it! pretty simple.
Slang terms are not used in the rules. The term 'undertake' is used for two reasons.
1. As overtaking isusually to the right then the opposite would be to the left and under.
2. When you pass a turning truck on the left, you usually end up on your back infront of the undertaker.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 04-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #25
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
No it is not, if it is a 2 laned road and the vehicle is in the right lane

And no it is not on more than 3 lane roads, please quote correctly.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #26
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Undertaking is the term used for passing on the left.
As far as I've always known, if the road has lines separating the lanes, you can pass on any side.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #27
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great news. Sick of clowns in the right lane on the speed limiter trying to push others out of the way or being mobile road blocks. I think the majority are sick of the bully boy tactics on our roads.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #28
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Great news. Sick of clowns in the right lane on the speed limiter trying to push others out of the way or being mobile road blocks. I think the majority are sick of the bully boy tactics on our roads.
Bad news. Most trucks in the right lane will most likely be trying to pass moron car drivers that fluctuate their speed between 80 to 110 in a 100 zone.

Idiots that pull in front of you when you leave a safety gap, idiots that will cut in front of you only to slow you down and do a left hand turn 50 metres up the road while there are no cars behind you.............they couldn't wait 10 seconds :

Idiots that want to be first at the traffic lights, so they pull in front of you while you are trying to pull up :

I have been driving trucks nearly 22 years, both local and interstate and you wouldn't believe what I have seen car drivers do.............and some cowboy drug fuelled truck drivers who give the professional truck drivers a bad name.

This is just another knee jerk reaction by a desk jockey bureaucrat, and I will take it with a grain of salt...............if there is some knobs holding up the left and middle lane on a three lane road, I will use the right lane to pass them, no ifs or buts.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #29
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Squashing cars. Sick of clowns doing burnouts up and down my street.

I think the majority are sick of ************** who drive cars with a far less skill than they have knowledge of 'real' vehicle dynamics.

Bring on the crushers, best law introduction in years
Old 04-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #30
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
UnderAs far as I've always known, if the road has lines separating the lanes, you can pass on any side.
Yes, you are right