Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 4 day week at Holdens

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

Maybe they have realised that making less cars might be better than selling lots at below price. With a one week OFF, one week ON roster, the workers would now be on 4 day fortnights. But as is with all the Holden advertising spin, they still plan to bring back a second shift LOL.

bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

Bloody hell.

Cheese and chalk between the two. Ford is at full (admittedly smaller) capacity, and Holden is having one down day a week. MMAL weren't that bad.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Bloody hell.

Cheese and chalk between the two. Ford is at full (admittedly smaller) capacity, and Holden is having one down day a week. MMAL weren't that bad.
Well I heard that Holden were making 320 a day, thus over the 9 week period that they are shut for one and then 8 @ 4 days, they would make 10240 cars. If ford made 280 a day for 9 weeks, they would make 12600 cars. In that time they should launch an advertising campaign "Australia's second largest car manufacturer 9 weeks running"
Old 22-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

An example of a smaller plant and workforce being worked hard
that's contrasted by a large plant and workforce under producing....

You tell me which plant is more efficient.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully the workers can make ends meet for the time being. The problem is that Holden has to basically bide time till export orders resume and new models are released. They must be counting down the days to the VF and Cruze.

Just yesterday he was saying that things were pretty good. Interesting his comment on exports. I cant imagine shutting a car factory down 1 day a week to be very economical.

Quote:
21 April 2010
By RON HAMMERTON
GM HOLDEN’S fifth chief executive in three years has promised he is here for the long haul with a mandate from parent company General Motors to ensure the Australian company survives and thrives as one of only seven GM sites capable of designing, building and selling its own products.

Mike Devereux, a British-born, Canadian-raised 26-year veteran of GM, today said Holden was already trading profitably after its “horrific” $210.6 million loss last year.

In his first media conference just one week after becoming Holden's newest chairman and managing director, he also indicated the company could continue to do so on the back of domestic sales after the collapse of much of its export volumes to the United States and the Middle East.

“The business is pretty healthy right now,” he said. “We don’t need a ton of export recovery to make money in Australia.”

Speaking after a whirlwind seven-day introduction to Holden since arriving from Dubai and his previous position as GM Middle East Operations president and managing director, Mr Devereux replaces a string of quick-fire MDs, most of whom were snatched away from Holden to shore up the management ranks elsewhere in the GM world.

Left: Holden VE Commodore assembly. Below: Holden-designed and engineered Chevrolet Camaro.

Since Denny Mooney sat on the MD’s chair at Fishermens Bend in 2007, Chris Gubbey, Mark Reuss and Alan Batey have all come and gone in quick succession as – back at headquarters in Detroit – GM fought to stave off complete financial collapse in the global financial crisis.

"You've seen a series of folks through this particular chair because, frankly, the company went through hell and back in the past two years,” Mr Devereux said.

"We stared over the edge."

But the newcomer promises this time it will be different, with GM chairman Ed Whitacre intent on letting the new global management team settle in for the long term to get on with business.

“Now that we have got what we call ‘the deck chairs laid out’ at General Motors, it is our intention to let managing directors and regional presidents run their businesses for long-term periods,” Mr Devereux said.

“Frankly, in GM’s history, that is what we have generally done.”

Mr Devereux said he had no intention of making changes to the plans laid out by his predecessors.

“The plans that were set in place by Mark Reuss and Alan Batey are rock-solid plans, and I don’t see that I will be coming in here and changing any plans,” he said.

“My management style is enable culture and let that drive what people can get accomplished. So I don’t see any strategic differences.

“Alan (Batey) and I have known each other for a long time. We had a very good solid handover period, and Alan’s plan is my plan.”

Among the plans are the roll-out of the locally-made Cruze sedan and hatch early next year and introduction of the ethanol-fuelled E85-capable Commodore later this year.

Mr Devereux – who had dinner with federal transport minister Kim Carr at an innovation event on Monday night – ruled out the need for any federal financial assistance, saying Holden was happy with its finances and future potential, despite last year’s loss that included $223.4 million in one-off charges for restructuring costs.

“We have had a strong start to 2010,” he said. “We are not claiming victory, but we expect 2010 to be a very good year for Holden, and when we post our results next year, hopefully they will not need any explaining.”

Mr Devereux said the market rebound was “already upon us”, but it was too early to say when Holden would restore the second shift that Holden axed at its Elizabeth car plant after the collapse of its Pontiac G8 export deal early last year.

“It is totally our intention to bring back the second shift,” he said.

“We are not ready to do that right now. The market is making some gains. We like where we are, but what you have got to remember is we are starting from a long way back.

“We had an unprecedented horrific year, and we had an unprecedented horrific year as an industry – not just Australia.

“When we are in a position to increase volume and ship cars, we are going to do that, but we are going to be talking with our union before we talk with anybody else, and we are not in a position to do that today.”

Mr Devereux said Holden did not necessarily need a lot of exports to make money in Australia, saying: “We are running our business extremely well right here. The rebound is already upon us.”

However, he said he would chase every export opportunity for Australian-made product, adding that the company had two handy allies in the US – former Holden MDs Mark Reuss, now president of GM North America, and Alan Batey, now vice-president of sales and service for Chevrolet.

Mr Devereux said Holden’s greatest strength was its workforce, which he described as “car guys”.

“Everybody here understands the business, and that is a huge untapped asset for General Motors and something, given my background in the States, that I will be trying to leverage here,” he said.

“We have an incredible talent base in Australia by virtue of the fact that one of the most iconic products we have in the United States, the Camaro, was fully designed and engineered at GM Holden, so the place has an incredible amount of confidence placed in it by GM.”

Mr Devereux praised the Australian government’s relationship with the motor industry.

“Australia has a thriving auto industry and I see absolutely no reason, seeing as how intelligently the government is approaching this public/private partnership, why that would not continue,” he said.

Mr Devereux, 44, holds a science degree in industrial engineering and a master’s degree in business administration from Harvard.

He joined GM as a co-op student at a Canadian engine plant and has held positions in product development, sales and e-business.
http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2010...n-steady-19094
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
An example of a smaller plant and workforce being worked hard
that's contrasted by a large plant and workforce under producing....

You tell me which plant is more efficient.
The sad thing is, its really only relative. Just 6 years ago Holden were doing ~150K units on triple shifts but Ford could could put out 100K on a single shift. Had Ford run on triple shifts, with appropriate product demand and parts supply why couldnt they push out 300K units running the same schedule as Holden?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well they have obviously seen something into the future demand of the car (something that general motors and holden aint too famous for), or they have built up an excess of stock (maybe overhang from depreciation allowance ending). Regardless, maybe we should be taking a vote on what car will the largest selling car in australia in May, June and July. Hilux - Mazda 3 - Hyundai I30. I'm going for the I30
Old 22-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Well they have obviously seen something into the future demand of the car (something that general motors and holden aint too famous for), or they have built up an excess of stock (maybe overhang from depreciation allowance ending). Regardless, maybe we should be taking a vote on what car will the largest selling car in australia in May, June and July. Hilux - Mazda 3 - Hyundai I30. I'm going for the I30

It would be overstock, they were building high amounts of cars.
I guess they will need the cruze to go ahead. Or somehow get rid of that second shift and run only one shift.
Old 22-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Ever get the feeling that GM is whistling in the dark.....
Old 22-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsales
“Now that we have got what we call ‘the deck chairs laid out’ at General Motors, it is our intention to let managing directors and regional presidents run their businesses for long-term periods,” Mr Devereux said.
They're arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic again I see.
Old 22-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
anto
Za Dom spremni

ha ha now thats funny
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
It would be overstock, they were building high amounts of cars.
I guess they will need the cruze to go ahead. Or somehow get rid of that second shift and run only one shift.
But dont Holden normally solve the overstock problem by discounting heavily. Where on earth would they have come up with a concept of making production equal demand.

You would probably have to assume Holden and the Melbourne storm have the same accounting team. Tell the public and authorities one thing, but keep a second set of books, that show something else.
Old 22-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This is going to end in tears ! :
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
But dont Holden normally solve the overstock problem by discounting heavily. Where on earth would they have come up with a concept of making production equal demand.
They were full to the brim just before the GFC, they have a lot of stock.
Old 22-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #15
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
They were full to the brim just before the GFC, they have a lot of stock.
Hey, don't worry. The Holden Owner's Grant is back.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

My gut says that for the i30 to be the biggest seller they would need a sedan variant. But they are selling pretty bloody well with just a hatch and wagon.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #17
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
My gut says that for the i30 to be the biggest seller they would need a sedan variant. But they are selling pretty bloody well with just a hatch and wagon.

A hyundai ELANTRA is a sedan i30. Its just named differently. Shape from behind back door forward is near the same, interior is the same, engines the same etc etc.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #18
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Regardless, maybe we should be taking a vote on what car will the largest selling car in australia in May, June and July. Hilux - Mazda 3 - Hyundai I30. I'm going for the I30
Maybe the humble Falcon might win!! Surely 50th year anniversary adds & models will be around!! Nice way to celebrite the 50th year with a sales win?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

just to play devils advocate...

how many people bought a bf2 only months out from the release of the fg? if holden are actually releasing a new commodore in a few months, then cutting back production to limit the amount of 'old' cars sitting around would be the smart thing to do wouldn't it?

back to reality.. i thought there was a delay with the aussie built cruze. they talk like its still going ahead in 8 months time.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #20
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

how many people bought a bf2 only months out from the release of the fg? if holden are actually releasing a new commodore in a few months, then cutting back production to limit the amount of 'old' cars sitting around would be the smart thing to do wouldn't it?

back to reality.. i thought there was a delay with the aussie built cruze. they talk like its still going ahead in 8 months time.

They have no option... Cruze is locked in, and the sales will be strong, but the profits will be non existant.

New Commodore ? I'm predicting no sheetmetal and basically trim and detail changes.

They have too many cars, but they'll spin the fact that they are making a good decision based on runout. The fact is they can't sell the cars they have so they need to cut back...

Fact... the market is growing, sales are increasing as a whole industry and yet Holden are scheduling downdays... the FAIL is strong here !!
Old 22-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #21
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
They have no option... Cruze is locked in, and the sales will be strong, but the profits will be non existant.

New Commodore ? I'm predicting no sheetmetal and basically trim and detail changes.

They have too many cars, but they'll spin the fact that they are making a good decision based on runout. The fact is they can't sell the cars they have so they need to cut back...

Fact... the market is growing, sales are increasing as a whole industry and yet Holden are scheduling downdays... the FAIL is strong here !!
They've really backed themselves into a corner haven't they - the media may go on about the Falcon being replaced by the Taurus, but at this rate the Commodore could well be replaced by the Cruze!!!

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #22
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

The cruze was slated for 4th quarter of 2010. Releasing the car in 2011 is therefore the delay you heard about.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...0422-tf05.html

Quote:
Holden to cut production of Commodore
TIM DORNIN
April 22, 2010 - 4:19PM

AAP

Car maker Holden will cut production at its Adelaide assembly operations in July and August as it runs out the current model Commodore.

The company has reached an agreement with the car industry union to shut down the factory for 13 days across the two months to reduce stocks of the current Commodore line-up.

"Ahead of updating our locally produced Commodore range later this year, we need to prepare for a smooth run out of the current model within the plant," a Holden spokesman said.

"To do this, we have been working with the union to balance short-term manufacturing plans that will allow us to taper production of the current range, before ramping up with the new model."

Holden said it had enjoyed a strong start to 2010 and anticipated a great response to the updated car.

In March Holden sold 4209 Commodores, a 19 per cent improvement on the same month last year.

Commodore sales in the first quarter were up by 14 per cent.

Earlier this week, new Holden chairman and managing director Mike Devereux said the company still intended to return the Elizabeth assembly plant to a two-shift operation after the restructuring forced by the global downturn.

The plant currently operates on one shift with staff working one week on and one week off on reduced pay.

The system allowed Holden to avoid major job cuts at the height of the economic crisis and the slump in exports to the US.

"It's totally our intention to bring back a second shift but we're not ready to do that at Elizabeth right now," Mr Devereux said in a phone hook-up with motoring journalists.

"The market is making some gains and we like where we are but we're starting from a long way back.

"We had an horrific year as an industry, not just Australia, last year.

"So when we're in a position to increase the volumes and shift patterns we're going to do that."

Mr Devereux said Holden was also on track to launch the new locally-made Cruze small car in early 2011 and expected to return its Australian operations to profitability this year.

© 2010 AAP
Old 22-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #24
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just can't understand how they can be cutting back in a year they have double digit growth in sell through. It can only mean they have massive stock levels. Yet over at Ford, they simiply can't build enough & need to work Saturdays..

I do feel sorry for the workers, half pay every 2nd week & now 8 weeks of 4 days only!! Ashame some of those works cant be sent to Ford
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #25
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I just can't understand how they can be cutting back in a year they have double digit growth in sell through. It can only mean they have massive stock levels. Yet over at Ford, they simiply can't build enough & need to work Saturdays..

I do feel sorry for the workers, half pay every 2nd week & now 8 weeks of 4 days only!! Ashame some of those works cant be sent to Ford
This makes a bit of sense as over time I have heard mummers that Holden had always put through any purchase orders as sales, so if some one did not purchase a Holden it still went though as a sale. However very hard to prove.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #26
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Just wondering, I assume the standard shifts are supposed to be two a day five days a week?

What if going at Ford for comparison, what is normal? What extra are they doing?
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #27
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_br_johnstone
Just wondering, I assume the standard shifts are supposed to be two a day five days a week?

What if going at Ford for comparison, what is normal? What extra are they doing?
The standard was 2 shifts a day for 5 days a week. Then in Oct 2008 (when GFC hit), they were basically just working every second week (but still two shifts). Then in early may 2009, they stopped afternoon shift, and had day shift workers working on week, and then afternoon shift workers working the day shift the nex week. And that has basically been going on until now. So come July 2010, day shift workers will be working 4 days a week, and then afternoon shift 4 days the next week, most will be working 4 days a fortnight. Its probably what you would class as a part time job.
Old 23-04-2010, 01:15 AM   #28
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Then in early may 2009, they stopped afternoon shift, and had day shift workers working on week, and then afternoon shift workers working the day shift the nex week. And that has basically been going on until now. So come July 2010, day shift workers will be working 4 days a week, and then afternoon shift 4 days the next week, most will be working 4 days a fortnight. Its probably what you would class as a part time job.
Not even close.
Of the current workforce, 85% are back on full time, the other 15% are on part time by choice.
Its been like this for the last 3 months.

As has been said, they are just clearing old stock.

I do however doubt the second shift will go ahead.
They are talking 500 extra workers and building 250-70 on day and 200ish on arvo's but i dont think the demand will be there.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 06:29 AM   #29
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Not even close.
Of the current workforce, 85% are back on full time, the other 15% are on part time by choice.
Its been like this for the last 3 months.

As has been said, they are just clearing old stock.

I do however doubt the second shift will go ahead.
They are talking 500 extra workers and building 250-70 on day and 200ish on arvo's but i dont think the demand will be there.
And there-in lies the problem...

They are clearing old stock (with downdays !!).

Poor planning, over production, no idea once again !! (still).

13 days is 65 % of a months production - you can't do that and come close to making money !! I'm predicting there will be no new employees.

Poor (part time) workers getting shafted by "Government motors" again !!
Old 23-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So, while Ford has right sized production capacity and employees to current market needs,
Holden is trying to get by with a higher line speed and more employees working less days per week.
Looks like Holden are "trimming" until the market catches their current line speed which
seems a very odd thing to do, it's a gutsy move because things can go pear shaped real quick.