Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Go Tracey, ACA for the win

I can't believe I am supporting ACA but they are hammering speed cameras like a champion.

Tonight they produce the ex head of Victorian road safety who stated catagorically that speed cameras were just revenue earners, contributed very little to road safety and that Victoria is the most speed camera fined place on earth, 10 times more the UK, the shame of Europe.

They then had the head of Vicpol speed cameras on to reply and he made a complete and utter fool of himself.

I hope they never back off and hammer the hell out of these parasites until the message gets through and the bludgers are replaced.

Old 25-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Missed it, who's got a link? Good comments flapp.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 25-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was really good expecially the questioning of that cop . He did look like he was in over his head .
Cant see anything coming of it though .
Old 25-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the bit where they showed how by constantly looking at your speedo you were over 10 times more likely to kill a pedestrian than by speeding AND HAD THE EVIDENCE TO BACK IT UP.
Old 25-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I like the bit where they showed how by constantly looking at your speedo you were over 10 times more likely to kill a pedestrian than by speeding AND HAD THE EVIDENCE TO BACK IT UP.
This is something they really need to exploit. As the pedestrian-killing speeder was the basis for producing the psyche of speed kills in the public mind in the first place. But a government is probably the only collective entity on earth that will NEVER admit to being wrong.

The amount of those ads I wish i could un-watch is incredible.
Old 25-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
They also had the copper say that it changes drivers attitudes. I know what he was trying to mean but what's happened in Vic is the mentality that if 'I keep under the speed camera all will be fine regardless of what's happening around me', which is why the quality of driving in this state in a major decline.
Old 25-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Hooray, people are finally realising. Except for those that matter with their blinkers firmly in place.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: Go Tracey, ACA for the win

Quote:
Ah, I was a part of a conversation regarding that little fact not too long ago on here where a certain person told me that he can accurately read his speedo with enough fine detail to measure to within a couple of km/h without taking his eyes off the road. Pity it is an anatomical impossibility, the structure of the human eye means it drops its visual acuity to less than 20% at just 15 degrees from the straight ahead.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #9
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Ah, I was a part of a conversation regarding that little fact not too long ago on here where a certain person told me that he can accurately read his speedo with enough fine detail to measure to within a couple of km/h without taking his eyes off the road. Pity it is an anatomical impossibility, the structure of the human eye means it drops its visual acuity to less than 20% at just 15 degrees from the straight ahead.
Regardless of whether or not its possible, every person who makes the statement that checking the speedo creates a danger on the road should have their licence taken from them. Checking the rearview, side mirror and then headcheck to overtake or change lanes require far more scrutiny, if the speedo is a challenge that merits such debate, then we have more serious issues to consider like whether or not a person should ever be able to change lanes.

I do not believe that anyone has been fined for 61 in a 60 zone. and its very easy to see more than 1 or 2 km over at a glance if you know where 60 is, a 3km tolerance is more than adequate to alleviate staring at the speedo. At 10% no-one has an excuse for being caught over the speed limit.

Disagree with the speed limits, stating speed cameras are revenue raisers, these are separate questions and in reference to many speed limits Id agree, and absolutely agree cameras are revenue raisers. But the argument that checking your speedo is somehow a dangerous act, is a daft strategy.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Regardless of whether or not its possible, every person who makes the statement that checking the speedo creates a danger on the road should have their licence taken from them. Checking the rearview, side mirror and then headcheck to overtake or change lanes require far more scrutiny, if the speedo is a challenge that merits such debate, then we have more serious issues to consider like whether or not a person should ever be able to change lanes.

I do not believe that anyone has been fined for 61 in a 60 zone. and its very easy to see more than 1 or 2 km over at a glance if you know where 60 is, a 3km tolerance is more than adequate to alleviate staring at the speedo. At 10% no-one has an excuse for being caught over the speed limit.

Disagree with the speed limits, stating speed cameras are revenue raisers, these are separate questions and in reference to many speed limits Id agree, and absolutely agree cameras are revenue raisers. But the argument that checking your speedo is somehow a dangerous act, is a daft strategy.
Everyone will agree that driving "normally" means driving TO the conditions with FULL awareness to the surroundings etc. When this is done sensibly there is 50 times less risk of anything going wrong than having the worry and fear of staying within a limit. The point is people are more often penalised for ignoring the latter for sticking to the former.

It's not hard to creep over by 10% due to gradients, or due to change in speed limits, nor is it dangerous to do so if a driver's main intention is to keep safe and just get to his destination. I'm guessing over 95% of fines are unfairly dished out to those driving sensibly but haven't been beaten into having their eyes glued to the speedo. Cheers.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Everyone will agree that driving "normally" means driving TO the conditions with FULL awareness to the surroundings etc. When this is done sensibly there is 50 times less risk of anything going wrong than having the worry and fear of staying within a limit. The point is people are more often penalised for ignoring the latter for sticking to the former.

It's not hard to creep over by 10% due to gradients, or due to change in speed limits, nor is it dangerous to do so if a driver's main intention is to keep safe and just get to his destination. I'm guessing over 95% of fines are unfairly dished out to those driving sensibly but haven't been beaten into having their eyes glued to the speedo. Cheers.
It may not be hard to creep over, but its not hard to avoid it either and theres no need to be glued to the speedo to do it. Most people who have the issue of not having time to check the speedo are tailgating, ie: no 2 second gap, more like 1 second, if that. Either that, or they are driving at the limit of their talent. There is no argument that holds water about checking speedo, unless there was absolutely no tolerance for error at all, ie: booked for 61 in a 60 and Ive never seen evidence of that fine. As I said, how do they mange to change lanes safely if they cant glance the speedo? Let alone be situationally aware of the vehicles around them. Its like saying you cant turn the wipers on while driving.

And before anyone starts, yeah Ill do 110 in a 100 zone sometimes (and I know Im doing it) and if I get a fine Ill just cop it on the chin. My mistake, no-one else to blame but myself. Same if I was completely unaware I was doing 10 over, I should be aware.
Old 25-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can't believe I am supporting ACA but they are hammering speed cameras like a champion.

Tonight they produce the ex head of Victorian road safety who stated catagorically that speed cameras were just revenue earners, contributed very little to road safety and that Victoria is the most speed camera fined place on earth, 10 times more the UK, the shame of Europe.

They then had the head of Vicpol speed cameras on to reply and he made a complete and utter fool of himself.

I hope they never back off and hammer the hell out of these parasites until the message gets through and the bludgers are replaced.
LOL ACA have been into them for ages...
But no.. ACA is the devil's own show isnt it...??!!
Everyone keeps telling me they're just propaganda spreaders and do no good??

Old 25-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
LOL ACA have been into them for ages...
But no.. ACA is the devil's own show isnt it...??!!
Everyone keeps telling me they're just propaganda spreaders and do no good??
Ah yes but even Adolf Hitler did SOME good things......
Old 25-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/investigat...camera-insider
Old 09-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Sorry to bump this but this is a good clip.
The interesting part is when they talk about drivers being distracted by focussing too much on the speedo and not the road.
Old 25-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Some of you Victorians might remember this better than i but (quite) a few years ago,
the Victorian coppers did a study on speed and in their assessment the only
people who were considered a risk were people traveling significantly over the
speed limit, a figure of +15 kph sticks in my mind.

Pretty sure it was part of a transport review, pity the Vics didn't listen to them.

About time Gumshoe and ACA turned on speed cameras, maybe someone got pinched?
Old 25-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #17
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Talk about tripping over your words, the heat was on the Spr Intendent. Good evidence there aswell , but i dont think anything will come of it either
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 25-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #18
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Haha yeah 30-40kph and hitting someone involves speed , but he wasn't SPEEDING ! Gold
Old 25-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Fancy a senior copper not knowing the difference between Speed and Speeding....

And frankly his lack of interest in the correct definition by the reporter is staggering,
gorilla in a suit doesn't make good PR sense, should have copped a reeming IMO....
Old 25-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #20
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Thanks Daniel for the link. Yep it's rubbish isn't it, there's speed(where you are moving) and speeding ( moving too fast as dictated by the gov) and sometimes the line between the two blurs.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 25-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #21
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

surprise, surprise, surprise!

I travel 38km to work, and in any one day, just there and back, no extra travelling, I pass through no less than 12 fixed camera's 6 of which are either down hill or at the base of a hill. If I drop the kids at school the number goes up to 14 per day. Add to this that my route takes me through the domain and Burnely tunnels, in which there are several cameras (i don't know how many) in each lane in each direction.

So its not unusual for me to have my speed checked 20 times in a day, in addition to mobile speed cameras or God forbid an actual policeman.

The sense of paranoia here is real, as is the anger at a fine for 104 in a 100 zone, on an empty 4 lane freeway early on a Saturday, it also real. Yes I'm sure the nay sayers here will say it's my fault, I know it is, bit I believe it to be unjust. If I was banging along at 160 id cop it, I don't, you wouldn't dare. But that would be a deliberate act.

Victoria's Chief Commissioner of Police, Simon Overland, was on the ABC this week and stated probably 6 or 8 times that the speed cameras have nothing to do with the police. He couldn't distance himself far enough from them. Perhaps he new this was coming.

Its hard not to cynical.

Edit: But we will no doubt re elect these people.
Old 25-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #22
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Goes to show every dog has their day, soon Today Tonight will produce a half worthwhile piece of journalism...And pigs will fly. They did get him good though, it amazes me how some people got their jobs.
Old 25-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #23
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They had the same story on TT as well tonight. But the report didn't give to the cop the same way as ACA did.

ACA made him look like the complete goose.
Old 25-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #24
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Make sure you leave a comment at the bottom the page of that link. Give aca some positive feedback. Its very rare occasion when they deserve it.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Old 25-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #25
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

I was flicking channels and at first Today Tonight (i hate you matt white...v8sc comentator or TT host!) and they were making a complete hash of it in terms of trying to explain the stats etc. Then I flick over and see ACA doing the same story (like they always seem to be doing). Within seconds of getting there i'm thinking 'this is stupid, time to turn the tv off', and then i notice they are making a fair bit more sense. Lots better with the stats explanation, more comprehensive and had paul maric from caradvice on there. I think all those sorts of shows are pretty rubbish (most of their stories are as irrelevant as they are poorly made) but ACA got that story pretty much right. Simple to understand but got most of the argument all right.

Could see that guy from the vic police walking right into that 'speed versus speeding' trap. Funny thing was what he woudl have wanted to say was the 'speeding' was 'too fast for the conditions' (which it is the law makes that quite clear you can get busted by the cops for it even if you are below the limit....) but he couldn't do that because speed camera machines have no brain. They only work on speed limit as programmed into them and then take a picky. Reminds me of a security guard i knew once. He said that 'cameras are great, but only at helping to catch the guy after he's done the damage'. you need bodies on the ground to 'prevent' crime/vandalism etc. Guys on the beat is what is needed not bloody cameras.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 25-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #26
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speed camera's are part of the 4 week story cycle.. they also have "cosmetic surgery", "push up bras", "fake tans", "miracle diets", "hoons" and "dodgy tradesman" on the 4 week story rotation.....

Old 25-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #27
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Speed camera's are part of the 4 week story cycle.. they also have "cosmetic surgery", "push up bras", "fake tans", "miracle diets", "hoons" and "dodgy tradesman" on the 4 week story rotation.....
So gonna follow your post cycle now Norm , between 6.30 - 7.00pm in 4 weeks time ....
Old 25-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
So gonna follow your post cycle now Norm , between 6.30 - 7.00pm in 4 weeks time ....
Hang in there, push up bra's and bikini's are due for a run soon!!!

Old 26-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #29
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Don't forget "youth gangs", "greedy councils" and "neighbours/tenants from hell".

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 28-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #30
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
Don't forget the supermarket/grocery stories... "how to save more", "new wonder food" etc.
Closed Thread