Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default New Nsw Car Hoon Laws . Grandma Policing .

in the papers and news today the state govt is introducing new speeding laws , where if you are caught pseeding at 45 kms over the limit , it will be an automatic , number plate taken from that car for 3 months !!!! and if caught agin within 5 months the car will be permanently confiscated by govt . what have we become ?
i thought losing your liscence was enough. now they can take your car off you , ( shouldnt they have to pay you for it ? it isnt thier property . WTF is going on here .
its possible in an fpv to overtake a car and increase your speed by 40km/hr in 2.5 seconds . to me i think they are going too hard on this , and perhaps if thats their NANNA plan . they better speed limit all cars to 110kms hour . ( whats the difference )
govts just seem to be able to do whatever someone person in power says , these days . ( NOT HAPPY JAN )

Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Nsw Car Hoon Laws . Grandma Policing .

And your reason for being 45kmh an hour over the limit is?

GOOD! take the boofheads car, i cant see an issue with it....

105kmh in a 60zone in the suburbs? YOU DESERVE IT!

So what if you loose your licence now? How many time have people been caught driving their car without a licence and it never stopped them? plenty...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

So what if you loose your licence now? How many time have people been caught driving their car without a licence and it never stopped them? plenty...
agree - if you cannot control your speed within 45 kph, then you shouldn't own the car
Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
agree - if you cannot control your speed within 45 kph, then you shouldn't own the car

WOW . to me thats a harsh rule to easily agree to , losing your licence is one thing , but having your car stolen for it is another , if nothing happened other than a radar reading .
Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
WOW . to me thats a harsh rule to easily agree to , losing your licence is one thing , but having your car stolen for it is another , if nothing happened other than a radar reading .
it maybe harsh, but i fear idiots who have no idea what speed they are doing, more than losing my licence for being one of those idiots

if you don't know what speed you are doing, please drive no where near my family and friends
Old 06-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
FG_Frodza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

^ This ^

'OMG the governmemt is so bad they wont let me do 45kph over the limit bloody nanny state, cash grab, revenue raiser etc..'

Drive safely or you wont be driving at all is the message here.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4150126
Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:

Last year in the Lane Cove Tunnel, the speed cameras were 'accidentally' left on to enforce a 40kmh workzone. Trouble is, thousands got stung doing 80-90kmh in the tunnel when there was no roadworks happening and no warning; just a 40kmh sign right on the camera. Only due to media pressure were the fines/points eventually overturned.

So the problem is if you make a mistake and rip through a workzone at 100km (say the normal limit) and the roadworks limit is 40kmh then, if this happens twice, over however many years, you lose your car.

What guarantee can the govt. give that 'mistakes' with fixed cameras won't happen, regarding road work zones?

Will this rule be applied to police who speed without the use of lights or sirens?

What is 'street racing?' A chirp of the tyres? Or a full on F&Furious neon, flamed up drag race? Or is it up to police officers' discretion? Much like it being illegal to operate 'loud' stereos in cars at Brighton (the definition of 'loud' being up to a police officer's discretion).

Last edited by Fiesta_Man69; 06-03-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Last year in the Lane Cove Tunnel, the speed cameras were 'accidentally' left on to enforce a 40kmh workzone. Trouble is, thousands got stung doing 80-90kmh in the tunnel when there was no roadworks happening and no warning; just a 40kmh sign right on the camera. Only due to media pressure were the fines/points eventually overturned.

So the problem is if you make a mistake and rip through a workzone at 100km (say the normal limit) and the roadworks limit is 40kmh then, if this happens twice, over however many years, you lose your car.

What guarantee can the govt. give that 'mistakes' with fixed cameras won't happen, regarding road work zones?

Will this rule be applied to police who speed without the use of lights or sirens?

What is 'street racing?' A chirp of the tyres? Or a full on F&Furious neon, flamed up drag race? Or is it up to police officers' discretion? Much like it being illegal to operate 'loud' stereos in cars at Brighton (the definition of 'loud' being up to a police officer's discretion).
I answered this sort of question/ comment previously in this thread regarding roadworks and speed restrictions.

They cant put up say a 40kmh speed restriction suddenly if the speed limit is 80kmh for example.... it must go 80.... 60...... 40.
Again if you get pinged, dont pay the fine and go to the magistrates stating the signage was NOT set out according to the MUTC rules.

The problem is people dont know the rules and simply pay the fine.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I answered this sort of question/ comment previously in this thread regarding roadworks and speed restrictions.

They cant put up say a 40kmh speed restriction suddenly if the speed limit is 80kmh for example.... it must go 80.... 60...... 40.
Again if you get pinged, dont pay the fine and go to the magistrates stating the signage was NOT set out according to the MUTC rules.

The problem is people dont know the rules and simply pay the fine.

Actually they don't have to drop the speed, "100km/h" to "80km/h" to "60km/h" to "40km/h" just to get to that 40km/h, they only have to have "60km/h Ahead" sign then the "60km/h" sign, and then the "40km/h" at there required distances of 2Dm of the work area. I have just finished doing the poxy RTA course again for the third time.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
Old 06-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
Actually they don't have to drop the speed, "100km/h" to "80km/h" to "60km/h" to "40km/h" just to get to that 40km/h, they only have to have "60km/h Ahead" sign then the "60km/h" sign, and then the "40km/h" at there required distances of 2Dm of the work area. I have just finished doing the poxy RTA course again for the third time.

I am referring to QLD.... and to road works areas where speed limits are temporary.... not referring to perminant speed signs. Which is what the comments were about...

Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
tickfordcrazy21

That is so true. Under the hoon laws in vic. If the police hear your tyres squeal or if you are 25 ks over the speed limit they can disqualify you for up to six months on the spot. And then they can impound your car for up to thirty days. And then after paying the $1280 to get your car out. Then you go to court and can lose your licence for a further six months. I know. It happened to me...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfordcrazy21
That is so true. Under the hoon laws in vic. If the police hear your tyres squeal or if you are 25 ks over the speed limit they can disqualify you for up to six months on the spot. And then they can impound your car for up to thirty days. And then after paying the $1280 to get your car out. Then you go to court and can lose your licence for a further six months. I know. It happened to me...
Courts disqualify driver's licenses, not the police. Disqualification's and suspension's are two totally different things.

You can't get an on-the-spot suspension (note not a disqualification, disqual's ONLY come from a court) in Victoria unless you've committed a drink drive or a drug drive offence. Speeding ofences do have mandatory suspension period's but these are not on-the-spot, the suspension only starts when you are found guilty of the offence (usually meaning paying the fine).

Also, 25k's over is not a 6 month suspension. Suspensions in Vic are as follows:

25k to 34k over - 1 Month
35k to 44k over - 6 Months
more than 45kms - 12 Months
They also have an additional offence of 130 - 134km/hr in a 110 Zone that gives a 1 Month suspension. Effectivley meaning that 20km/hr over in a 110 Zone means a 1 month suspension, whereas you need to be 25km/hr over in a 100 to get a 1 month suspension.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfordcrazy21

You are very wrong. If you do over 25ks over, you will lose your licence for a monthunless you got caught doing 30ks over then the suspension is greater.

The police will also give you a month's notice, Vic police can not take you licence on the spot unless you have been drink driving.

For the police to impound your car you need to be doing over 45ks.
They will then impound the car for 30 days under the current hoon laws.
If this is your second offence they will apply to the courts to have the car impounded for 3 months.

If your saying you lost your licence on the spot you must of been drink driving to.

I do agree there is no reason for people to do 45ks over.
Even if you over take the laws states you must not go over the speed limit.
SO if people want to get caught and lose the car for 5 months, I think it is a great idea.

Last edited by xisled; 06-03-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
tickfordcrazy21

Six months longer
Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i gotta agree with some hoon laws.
45km over the limit twice in 5 months. And thats only if you get caught!

what reason could there be for going a potential 155kph?

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwag
Are you sure you are on the right forum?

I have for many many years done over 200km/h on roads in Australia even overtaking police cars once or twice.

If you really think that 155km/h is too fast on any road then this is the place for you....www.walk.com.au
Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
Torment47
Mr Hoon

[quote=flappist]Are you sure you are on the right forum?

I have for many many years done over 200km/h on roads in Australia even overtaking police cars once or twice.

200km/h on our roads? must be a good driver

As for overtaking cop cars, i don't think a cop is going to risk his life going 200km/h + to try and pull someone over....
Old 08-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[quote=Torment47]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Are you sure you are on the right forum?

As for overtaking cop cars, i don't think a cop is going to risk his life going 200km/h + to try and pull someone over....
Or the police officer did not care as it was not illegal. Up until 2007 there were no limits in NT (up until 1979 there were none in NSW) and due to a legal loophole there were (and still are if you can find them although the last one I have driven on was about 2 years ago) areas in QLD with no limits.

You do realise that most of Australia is not in Sydney don't you?

Get out of the city, you may find that Australia not what you think it is and definitely not like the wowsers on here and in the media would have you believe.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #19
Torment47
Mr Hoon

[quote=flappist]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torment47

Or the police officer did not care as it was not illegal. Up until 2007 there were no limits in NT (up until 1979 there were none in NSW) and due to a legal loophole there were (and still are if you can find them although the last one I have driven on was about 2 years ago) areas in QLD .
No, i did not know that, thanks for sharing it with me.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #20
gtfpv
GT

As for overtaking cop cars, i don't think a cop is going to risk his life going 200km/h + to try and pull someone over....[/QUOTE]

your kidding right !!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #21
BHDOGS
Banned

The police enforce laws not personal opinions they do what there told if its chase a maniac doing 200 or sitting there with a speed camera the police don't act like anything the government dictates the policy's so crying bout the cops isnt gonna help u
Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #22
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:

Because it creates less fatigue I hear.

Whats the criteria for a Nannay rule?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #23
chris0

Quote:
I tend to agree with the over 45km/h twice in 5 months too. I'm not saying I haven't done that far over the speed limit, but I am also well aware of the consequences. You're a fool if you think you wont get caught.
However...
Quote:
Overtaking in 4th?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #24
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I thought they said 5 years, not 5 months.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #25
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8
I thought they said 5 years, not 5 months.
just went by what the op said
"agin within 5 months"

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #26
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
What reason?

Because it's there.
In the right place, at the right time of course.
Throw the book at any mug that's doing a zillion kays in the main street or where ever there's any opportunity to hurt something or someone, APART FROM THEMSELVES.

But if you're a million miles from anywhere or anyone, and you want to go for a CAREFULLY CONSIDERED fang, why not?

Just be prepared to cop the consequences if it goes pear-shaped.

That's only my opinion anyway.

Ed
Old 07-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #27
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No reason but different scenario you are driving down the monash at 2am, you go through what was a construction zone during the day (no one is there) But the signs are left up and you get pinged for doing 90k's in a 40 zone (even though its normally 100)

I am against speeding in residental areas, but on the open road, or with the above scenario there should be some other factors taken into an account.

The government only seems to have one focus on road safety and thats speed. Yet everyday I see someone do a U turn on a free way and occasionally I see someone turn right from the left lane etc, last night saw and old clapped out van merge on the freeway and pull straight into the right hand lane - doing all of 60 k's an hour and forcing traffic moving at 100k's to hit the brakes - But thats ok he wasnt speeding

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :

Last edited by SB076; 07-03-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #28
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
No reason but different scenario you are driving down the monash at 2am, you go through what was a construction zone during the day (no one is there) But the signs are left up and you get pinged for doing 90k's in a 40 zone (even though its normally 100)
I think this road works thing has been done to death now...

There are warning signs put up to warn you that there are reduced speeds (irrespective if they are working or not). You cant have a 40kmh sign in a 100 zone with no other signs warning you of speed reductions.

Again... in QLD... if the signage IS NOT SET OUT AS PER THE MUTC then you can go to magistrates and get it overturned.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #29
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

edited.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #30
gtfpv
GT

ok so you own an fpv , or performance car of some sort , you are tailing a truck at 70km an hour in a 80 zone , your in a country area , you safely overtake flooring it to get pat as quick as possible , by the time you pull in your doing 130kms hr , and you take your foot off throttle at that monent 500 metres up the road a highway patrol car is sitting there waithing for you with the radar on . what happens next . a big fine , no licence , hand your plates in for 3 months as well , and a black mark saying if you do this again you will lose your car .and 4 years later you do it again same scenario ( what if your paying it off ) and want to sell itr to recoup the costs . your in your 40's or 50's and have only been booked 2 times in 5 years ,have never done anything wrong in your life and only been booked 2 times in 30 years . are you now a criminal , not worthy of driving or owning that car anymore ??
this is hyperthetically what could happen could it not ?
Closed Thread