Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Falcons are Uneconomical ?? Mine's Not !!

Good Friday the missus and I drove from Briz to Rockhampton.
BF Mk2 Ghia 6, used 49.44l in 651 kms. no BS !!!
Thats : 13.17km/l. 37.21mpg. or 7.59 l per 100kms.
I know there are a lot of roadworks and we had to slow down. But thats phenomanal economy..Ecolpi or Ecoboost would be hard to beat that.
Then, driving around Rocky and out to Yeppoon a few times, it did..
10.22km/l or 28.89 mpg or 9.78l per 100kms.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Falcons are Uneconomical ?? Mine's Not !!

On recent trips i struggled to get my tuned Focus below 9 so thats pretty good going.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
On recent trips i struggled to get my tuned Focus below 9 so thats pretty good going.
I was averaging 8.9 l/100km in my last focus st. Now I have travelled 1650km so far in a mk2 GT auto. 22.6 l/100km. But my last long distance drive was Melbourne to goulburn in an FG G6E. 7.4 L/100km. The stock six is a ripper.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Benjamin Smith

Yep they sure are, i should get from toowoomba to Bathurst this year on one tank in my ute, im going to give it a red hot go anyway
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

That's good. I use to always stop at GinGin for fuel in my AU and BA turbo. I could never get those figures.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I know there are a lot of roadworks and we had to slow down. But thats phenomanal economy..Ecolpi or Ecoboost would be hard to beat that.
Excellent.
I've done that trip many times in FG R6 Ute with 5-speed auto, best I got was 8.2 l/100 km but not complaining.
Ecoboost promises almost 20% better fuel economy again so everyone is keen to see it up against Omega...

Extra urban for FG II

I-6 Petrol 7.2 l/100km
EcoLPI 8.7 l/100km
Ecoboost 6.0 l/100km

Extra urban for VE
Omega 3.0 SIDI 6.9 l/100km (Not as good as Ecoboost)
SV6 3.6 SIDI 7.6 l/100km (not as good as XR6)

Last edited by jpd80; 08-04-2012 at 09:54 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About the same figures as my 380. I'd be curious as to your average speed?

I do Sunshine Coast - Brisbane for work every day. My 380 will consistantly do 7.8-8.2L/100km depending on which the wind is blowing sitting on the speed limit. Sitting on 100km/h instead of 110km/h improves economy into the low 7's.

Good economy for big cars, no doubt. Our diesel ASX on the same trip does 5.1-5.4L/100km, and our ix35 does 6.3-6.7L/100km.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nic85, We kept to the speed limits, not wanting a photo from Constable Kodak. !!! Plenty of cops on the road!!! There are a lot of road works on the Bruce Highway and they don't take the lower speed signs down, when not working!! Plus there are sections of 90kms "Crash Zones" ???. Allowing comfort stops etc we did it in 8 hours. Taking out comfort stops,,around 7 hours for the trip...
Ghia has 93,000kms on the clock..tyres are Goodyear Efficiency Grip.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Plus there are sections of 90kms "Crash Zones" ???.
Crash zones were a little invention by a previous government to put off actually fixing the road which costs money that could be better spent on "important" things. Another was the installation of traffic lights in the middle of nowhere on bridges that they decided to downgrade to single lane. By default these lights are red in both directions and only go green after they detect you so as you are travelling at 100km/h you ALWAYS have to stop.

I suspect they thought these were far enough out of Brisbane that they would not annoy or inconvenience anyone "important" and have little effect on elections results.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good effort mate.

I sometimes think I'll sell my car and buy something a bit better on fuel, but when you're doing around 8L/100km on the highway, and take into consideration the extra comfort and space of a bigger car, the extra $10 or so a week of fuel saving hardly seems worth it.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's excellent figures. Good thing about the ZF box, in 6th gear doing 100kph the engine is only turning over at 1500rpm.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I have a feeling that large car fuel economy experienced by owners stuck in peak hour traffic crawl
is much more telling on their purchasing decisions than what highway economy figures are.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I have a feeling that large car fuel economy experienced by owners stuck in peak hour traffic crawl
is much more telling on their purchasing decisions than what highway economy figures are.
It depends of course on what type of driving you do. For me, I generally drive outside peak times, only hitting traffic some mornings on the Gateway motorway if I'm 5 minutes late. Bit of a crawl for 5 minutes or so does nothing really to economy.

If you're stuck in traffic every day, and crawl to work the whole way, I'd suggest either getting a diesel, or take the bus/train.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85

If you're stuck in traffic every day, and crawl to work the whole way, I'd suggest either getting a diesel, or take the bus/train.
I only live 5 minutes from work and avoid most traffic by using suburban connection roads...

On a trip to Sydney a few years back, I happened to be on a bus during morning peak hour rush
and noticed just how many single occupant vehicles there were...nearly all of them.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Give the man a cigar!

Spot on.... When you drive the big falc in peak hour traffic...watch the smile get wiped off your face quicker than you can say BP

When most smaller engined cars will nett @ 5-7 L/100 on a highway cruise it makes the Falcon ridiculously expensive still. So unless you're towing a horse float the smaller engined cars will fit the bill 90% of the time and save you a packet after your cruise. The falc is a great car with a great engine....but most people dont give a $4!7. When the hip pocket hurts.....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
borough

Quote:
I had training in Melbourne CBD for a week and drove in. My FG XR6 LE on gas got 11.7l/100k. That is pretty good considering I was stuck in the peak hour crawl.
borough is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My fuel range http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC00077.jpg
Old 08-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

In my old TE50 i seen 800+ aswell, they arent as bad as people let on.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Mine's moderately fine on the open road. It's stop and start traffic that kills me.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #20
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's pretty good...................and that's going up hill too
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #21
EgoFalcon
The Villan

I find the falcons on long distances very economical compared to alot of cars. From Picton to Nelsons bay FG XR6 Turbo (yes a turbo) ended up doing 7.8L per 100 km's.

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #22
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

With an au as my work hack , it sees 8-9 as normal ( spirited) and long trips on or just above speed limit 7s , I struggled to get my swift under that on highway , they are made for urban , and falcon is made to cruise ....swap those cars each way and the results change .

Just can't beat the falcon / commondore for those highway miles
Old 08-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
With an au as my work hack , it sees 8-9 as normal ( spirited) and long trips on or just above speed limit 7s , I struggled to get my swift under that on highway , they are made for urban , and falcon is made to cruise ....swap those cars each way and the results change .

Just can't beat the falcon / commondore for those highway miles
yes it`s interesting that some of the economy sardine cans are good in the city but are pretty average on the highway, some of it i put down to the need for them to rev their bits of because they have bugger all torque,
long live big cars !!!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
yes it`s interesting that some of the economy sardine cans are good in the city but are pretty average on the highway, some of it i put down to the need for them to rev their bits of because they have bugger all torque,
long live big cars !!!
That's a good analogy.
The 2.3 Mondeo drinks around the same amount of fuel as FG I-6 on the Urban cycle,
gets slightly better economy on the Extra urbans and then ends up with a lower combined.
I have an awful feeling that this car would be branded a thirsty slug but, the Ecoboost 2.0
would be a completely different matter due to the abundance of low end torque..

My wish is for a 2.3 litre I-6 Ecoboost for the Falcon, such an engine takes Falcon
back to its roots as an economical six cylinder, IMO that set up would get 8.5 l/100 km
while punching out 210 Kw and 420 nm - the perfect combination for people who want:
1) a Falcon with I-6
2) a falcon with great fuel economy
3) a Falcon that drives like a baby V8.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #25
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
My wish is for a 2.3 litre I-6 Ecoboost for the Falcon, such an engine takes Falcon
back to its roots as an economical six cylinder, IMO that set up would get 8.5 l/100 km
while punching out 210 Kw and 420 nm - the perfect combination for people who want:
1) a Falcon with I-6
2) a falcon with great fuel economy
3) a Falcon that drives like a baby V8.
I dont really see why it would have to stay a I6. Other than the sheep believing all V6's are revvy, gutless engines after sampling a Commodore.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #26
NCF302

i drove from melb - bris in my bf xr8 6 speed auto over fri-sat. (i just moved here)
i averaged 10.6 litres per hundred k's at an average speed over the whole trip of 97 km/h. it was 18 hours of driving time.
wasn't too bad for the big v8, i didn't exactly do the speed limit the whole way so would of been a bit better if i did.

OLD BF XR8 - 6 Speed auto, luxury pack, momo steering wheel, 3 inch exhaust in DeJa Vu Green. on king ultras with FG GT-P 335 20's

OLDER NC Fairlane Ghia - 5 Litre, Auto, Exhaust, Wood Momo Steering Wheel, Ultra Low Kings all round, 19" BA GT-P Wheels, NCF-302 plates. Miss it the most!

Others include - Mint 5L DC LTD - 5L 5 Speed NC (FOR SALE) - XF S-Pac - XD GL Wagon
NCF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #27
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCF302
i drove from melb - bris in my bf xr8 6 speed auto over fri-sat. (i just moved here)
i averaged 10.6 litres per hundred k's at an average speed over the whole trip of 97 km/h. it was 18 hours of driving time.
wasn't too bad for the big v8, i didn't exactly do the speed limit the whole way so would of been a bit better if i did.
That's good, on hwy mine gets 10.9, only difference it's a ute.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #28
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I get 14L/100km if i'm lucky driving urban. I thrashed my old Pulsar everywhere and the worst it ever did, anywhere, was 11L/100km
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #29
Kevaclone

Few years ago I did a Sunshine Coast to Gosford and back in our old BA XT sedan
me, missus and two teenagers and younger son, boot full of luggage for the family for two days

drove all night at 105 and 115kph, A/C on and cruise on
next day went to Newcastle and did a bit of sightseeing(someone had parked a bloody big red boat on the beach) and got stuck in the massive traffic jam to and from the beach and then headed home

entire trip the car averaged 9.9L/100klm

pretty good for a car full and not driven lightly

My trayback ute on the other hand, same engine/gearbox/diff ratio is flat out managing less than 11L/100kph at 105kph. Strangely enough with the tray sides on and at 120kph it gets around 9L/100klm, sadly there is nowhere that I drive that I can do that speed
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #30
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Thats superb economy figures. Wonder if you'd get the same Rocky to Briz? Assuming Briz to Rocky is downhill all the way!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post