Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default another E10 question

There may be a simple answer to this but I will ask anyway. I just looked at an E10 thread and the contradictions are hard to believe much less understand. Seems like some people pull ideas out of the hole in the back of their head and present them as Gospel. I drive occasionally to Beaudesert, QLD. 830Ks approximately, Using E10 before I found out what it could do to my fuel system(Ford info) I had to carry a 20 liter container (which actually held 26 liters) to make the trip. After professional advice from Ford, I switched to 91 ulp which is the fuel the car is tuned for. I no longer had to carry the 26 liters of extra fuel but I carried a 10 liter jerry can of 91 just in case. the car now makes it to Beaudesert on just over 60 liters instead of over 70 liters. Can there really be that much difference? My new dilemma is that I am told by FF members in threads and posts that 91 is going the way of the Dodo. Where do I go from from here. 95? The Telstar will not run on 98. Pings (pre-ignition) Moped is out of the question.

graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: another E10 question

Didn't they stop the whole 91 phase out. Might have just been nsw
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Qld was going to phase out 91 and replace it with E10..But that has been cancelled. Only BP and independents have E10. SHELL has 91.95.98.
Oil majors drop E10 ethanol in Queensland on supply, demand drop
admin | September 12, 2011

In Australia, major oil companies are removing ethanol fuel from Queensland filling stations due to low demand, a lack of supply after recent floods, and the need to meet demands in the state of New South Wales (NSW). According to the Biofuels Association Australia, E10 filling stations are not being withdrawn in NSW.
http://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdiges...y-demand-drop/

Last edited by csv8; 07-05-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add article
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Qld was going to phase out 91 and replace it with E10..But that has been cancelled. Only BP and independents have E10. SHELL has 91.95.98.
Oil majors drop E10 ethanol in Queensland on supply, demand drop
Sugar farmers really fumbled the ethanol ball in queensland. it could have totally saved their collective asses like it did in south america. oh well.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

wouldnt have e10 fuel to burn on a bonfire let alone put it in cars. absolute ******.

ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
BigBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
I no longer had to carry the 26 liters of extra fuel but I carried a 10 liter jerry can of 91 just in case. the car now makes it to Beaudesert on just over 60 liters instead of over 70 liters.

Can there really be that much difference?
Short answer: YES.

Ethanol had less energy per litre than unleaded to you use more of it to go a given distance.

Exactly how much varies with cars / mixtures / drivers etc.

Peter.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

i love E10 (the 100 octane variety from United that is)
JC807 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The E10 fool economy blew out when I had the BF XR8
Filled up on the nth side of Brissy 55+ litres of the Boost 98 (95 + Ethanol) we did a club cruise around Nth NSW to Lismore and then back home mostly highway driving and out of a full tank I returned about the 330 kms - I just made it to a Caltex servo on the Pac Hwy (Reedy Creek) with the dte at 0 - gave it a drink of Vortex 98 only about 1/2 tank (30 lites) and that 1/2 tank done nearly the same distance of hwy and city driving - I have used E10 in the Magna and the fuel econ is a bit worse than ULP but not to the extent of the Falcon
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC807
i love E10 (the 100 octane variety from United that is)
I do as well, just not from the United at eaglehawk (on the Canberra border)

I got some from their on the Australia day weekend the result was a tow home and a rebuild on the Fuel pump/ Crabie, and a clean and scrub on the fuel tank + flush of the lines and afilter full of mud

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think I've seen a servo in my area that hasn't replaced RON 91 with E10. I don't really care as long as I know that I can get premium unleaded without ethanol to use in the older cars. Now that this Labor mob that was pushing for it is gone, I don't see why E10 would take over.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My right foot don't have much to do with my car's economy on a trip. I leave that to my friend "cruise" Sydney to Kempsey, 4 hours. Probably because cruise does not slow down on curves and bends. Could be another reason I get decent fuel economy. At 10%alcohol it's almost drinkable but the dying afterwards probably puts people off. I got some in my mouth once. Tastes like a boris karloff martini
Old 07-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I never noticed any significant difference when I used to use it in my XR8. Would get roughly the same distance per tank, though my trips are always random so it was hard to judge.

I do notice a difference in usage in my current F6 if I'm doing a long trip where I know roughly how much I'll use. Don't really notice any change in power but I guess you'll only really feel it if you're used to burying your foot in it.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp

I do notice a difference in usage in my current F6.
you use e10 in an F6? duuuuude you have big kahunas.

100% not suitable. 95ron or 98 ONLY in turbo cars.

Ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

As said in other threads, E10 has less energy per litre than ULP91, governments have been pushing it
as a way of lowering CO2 and sourcing ethanol as a fuel additive from within our country.

Apart from all those factors, it causes fuel economy to be worse and therefore, motorists to refuse to buy it.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceValk85
Says it's suitable on the inside of my petrol flap. A number of places in the west country, couldn't find a reliable source of premium. Only E10.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Says it's suitable on the inside of my petrol flap. A number of places in the west country, couldn't find a reliable source of premium. Only E10.
It's a bit hard if you can't find premium, & even though it says e10 suitable on the petrol cap, it's more for the likes of 100 octane e10, which is premium 98 + 10% ethanol. If you read the owners manual, it'll tell you in bold typeface, PULP (minimum) 95 RON. Your F6 must be de-tuning itself something major to stop pre-detonation using e10. I'd definitely be using ULP e10 in an F6, in an emergency situation only. I have a FPV 302 GT, & it says e10 suitable on the fuel cap also, but it has high compression, & has to use 98 RON only. I only use 95 if 98's not available, I'd get it towed before putting regular e10 in it, if I was running out of petrol.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:

Ice
This post isnt suitable for this thread
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

Ice
E10 is around 94-96 ron anyway...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I have done several runs using my Land Cruiser, results using the main 95ltr fuel tank run till it runs dry, same road.

580kms on e10

630kms on 91ULP

660kms on 98ULP

Needless to say 91ULP is the best bang for the buck in my vehicle. In summary, e10 is rubbish, its discounted price is not proportional to the poor mileage, yet another 'green' scheme failure...
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #20
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
E10 is around 94-96 ron anyway...
not in NSW!
it has been reduced to 91.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #21
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
not in NSW!
You can get E10 in 91, 95, and 98 octane in NSW.

There are a lot of myths about E10.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
not in NSW!
E10... Well when it was first mentioned it was said to be 94-95 RON.. Why? To please the masses. People needing 95 could get by with 94 while being all green and saving a few dollars a tank. Cheaper than 91 with the extra few octane points. Win Win.... or so they thought.

I have seen E10 advertised from 91 to 95 RON. Recently, that number has remained at 91. Which begs the question... if E10 is 10% ethanol, and ethanol is an octane booster then what is the base fuel octane they are starting with the get E10 to be 91???

This lack of standardisation should not be allowed. What if They sold 98 octane as '94-98'.. would that be allowed? Problem is, very few people would feel any lack of performance, which is why the octane variance goes unoticed.

Filled up at Woolies petrol:

Mobil is the same, and has been for the last 3-4 years.

The guy gave me a lecture on how it is dangerous to take a picture (using my phone) while pumping petrol... Said I agree, and reminded him that I was pumping diesel. He didn't seem to get the joke....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #23
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

To debunk the myths..

-It wont eat rubber fuel lines because, well, most cars after the 80's don't have rubber lines. This due to the fact that normal unleaded had heaps of nasty additives in it to make up for the loss of lead. These additives ate rubber lines...

-Wont (shouldn't) corrode Again, even in plain old unleaded fuel, there is a bunch of additives to prevent corrosion, because things happen and water can get in the fuel system (it shouldn't). The thing with ethanol is, by nature it is hygroscopic, so any moisture in the system.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the old vct does`nt like e10, pings it`s guts out, it runs ok 50/50 mix with 98.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #25
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Yep ended up with e95 blend at united past Newcastle, assumed it was normal 95 until I had half a tank in!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #26
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Some United Stations have 100 octane in E10.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #27
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chris Hartcher, via Richard Amery both state members of parliament provided me with this info re E10 in NSW
Wednesday 15 February 2012
REGULAR UNLEADED PETROL TO BE
RETAINED IN NSW
The NSW Government has introduced legislation into Parliament overturning Labor’s scheduled ban on the sale of regular unleaded petrol from 1 July 2012.
Minister for Resources and Energy, Chris Hartcher said the NSW Government remained committed to promoting ethanol as a clean, viable, alternative fuel which will boost employment in regional NSW.
“The NSW Government is working to achieve a secure, affordable and clean energy future,” Mr Hartcher said.
“Biofuels will play a key part in this vision, whilst also encouraging regional development and job creation in NSW.
“There has long been bipartisan support for biofuels, taken to the 2007 election by both sides of politics and amended by the Rees Government in 2009 to include the phase out of regular unleaded petrol.
“If we were to allow Labor’s timetable for the elimination of regular unleaded petrol to continue then motorists would be forced into buying more expensive fuel.
“The NSW Government remains determined to do everything it can to assist families facing cost of living pressures and we will not be forcing motorists into buying more expensive premium fuel.
“Regular unleaded petrol will also remain available for boats and small engines not recommended for use with E10.”
The six per cent ethanol mandate will remain in place to ensure continued development of the ethanol industry in NSW.
The Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) is currently investigating available production capacity and supply required to meet the ethanol mandate.
MEDIA: Caroline
That seems clear enough I guess.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #28
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

There have been plenty of independent tests with results showing e10 offers the worst economy. And to answer the other part of the question 91 ron unleaded is the main base of e10 so it wont be getting phased out.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #29
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
There have been plenty of independent tests with results showing e10 offers the worst economy. And to answer the other part of the question 91 ron unleaded is the main base of e10 so it wont be getting phased out.
91 RON unleaded is the base of ULP e10 as you say, the Ethanol is measured & mixed into it, as it's loaded into the tanker truck for delivery. e10 ULP isn't made at the refinery or stored in bulk at the distribution terminals, it's only mixed at last point before the petrol station. As for you being able to buy standard 91 RON ULP at the pump, especially in NSW, well that's another thing. It will take some time, but yes, NSW is heading towards e10 ULP only + 95, 98 PULP, if you can't use e10 ULP, you'll have to use 95 or 98 PULP instead.

So no, stopping manufacture of 91 RON ULP won't happen, but stopping retail of 91 RON ULP likely will.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #30
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

No e10 anywhere in WA as far as I know.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post