Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default kingswoods

I know not a ford but does anyone else like kingswoods??? I like the old HK-HG coupes and sedans and the brougham and the HQ-WB utes and statesmans. probabbly gunna cop alot of crap talking about holdens on a ford fourm

flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Re: kingswoods

I like them too. Just because it is a Ford Forum, doesn't mean that discussions on other cars is forbidden.

We all have our secrets...

You have to admit, good ole Ted Bullpit from Kingswood Country made owning a Kingswood in the 80's a nightmare....
Old 22-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
Ansith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I swear nobody in Brisbane ever bought a Ford in the 70s, all I see is Kingswoods driving around and I swear almost everyone in my area has one sitting in their backyard. I wonder how it's going to go down when I introduce a Ford into their territory.

It's not really a bad thing though, they're still nice to look at.
Ansith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansith
I swear nobody in Brisbane ever bought a Ford in the 70s, all I see is Kingswoods driving around and I swear almost everyone in my area has one sitting in their backyard. I wonder how it's going to go down when I introduce a Ford into their territory.

It's not really a bad thing though, they're still nice to look at.
you do see a few of them still getting about especally the HQ-HZs still a few HQ-WB utes getting about. haha my mates give me crap about owning fords but usally shut up when they realise how good a falcon is!!! I've owned a WB ute. 202 3 speed colum shift manual. extractors etc. it had a nice note. the only thing i didnt like about it was it didnt like the cold!!!
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The actual name Kingswood is American, Chevrolet used it on their Caprice wagons. Just a bit of trivia for you.

And yes its cool to see one these days, or Premier's. You see less and less of those Aussie classics about.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
jixel 78

Theyve been feel good cars in our family for years. Dad had a HZ Kingswood we called `Ted` (Bullpitt). Took us on many holidays all over WA. He sold it when it wouldnt pull his boat off the launching ramp one day, and bought an XB. I miss that Kingswood, it reminds me of going on holidays whenever I see one like it.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Guy around the corner from me races them.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I love them. Great cars. My mate just bought a HG sedan and has a HK premier too. Hoping to make a good one from the two.
I'd own one but they're not a ford!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I grew up on the back seat a HJ. There is a bit of a barn find at the end of my street which is out in the middle of nowhere for sale. Dead straight, no rust, totally original down to the hub caps. Even the original brown paint looks good. I've been resisting the urge to buy for the last few weeks, but I'm getting weaker each time I drive past it. I think it'll be in my shed by the end of the week.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Angeldust

beautiful cars they were...

also im starting to get a thing for real slow pollution adr27 controlled cars

ie/ either a HJ-HZ or VB-VH with the old ~90Kw 253 v8...

cars donbt have to be fast to be enjoyable. Some of my best most enjoyable 'drives' have been in absolute heaps like vw beetle, any old holden from fJ up etc etc

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

My fav would be HG, my old man had a mint HG Ute with a 186, i was forever convincing him to put a 350 in it but he wouldnt budge.
Old 22-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
My fav would be HG, my old man had a mint HG Ute with a 186, i was forever convincing him to put a 350 in it but he wouldnt budge.
Back in the day my Uncle owned a HG Kingswood Ute - 186 - three on the tree.

Bought himself a Monaro write off with a 307 / 327 motor and 2 speed power glide. Transferred all he could to the Ute and whacked on a set of side pipes alah Corvette style. Had it for several years and decided to sell it. He would not sell it to me and sold it to his younger brother. A week later it didn't exist after being bent around a tree - young uncle was unhurt - older uncle cried.

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I grew up around holdens. Still love the old classic.s Had a sandman, owned a HQ kingswood, Belmont Panelvan and an HR. Love the old holdens.

I'd take any of those old holdens over any ford from the same era.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you kidding? Who doesn't like a Kingswood??

I'm just finishing off our WB ute...mildly worked 253, kitted Trimatic, 10 bolt diff, extractors, twin 2" system, yellow needle GTS dash, HZ taillights.

I believe the HQ still has the thinnest A pillars of any production car.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
Matty4
Banana

They bring back so many memories for me too!!
My old man had an HT wagon with the 308 in it that brought me home from the hospital in 1970 and we went everywhere in it.
Towed a caravan from Melbourne to Cooktown with it in 1974 and we just had the back seat folded down with a mattress in there for me and my sister to play in while they drove.......good times......not allowed to do that anymore!!

They traded that in on an HX 253 wagon and finally got rid of that when my dad started getting company cars and by then the Commodore was too small so he started getting Falcon wagons.
Old 22-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Just don’t call them a Kingswood. How many Holden boys have you heard say, I have this hot “Kingswood”

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
Agile

Well theres a funny thing. I am now fordmad, as my wife calls me, but started life as a holden nut. Bought my brothers EK Special sedan off him when I was fifteen,followed by HG Premier[mint untill sideswiped in the Adelaide Hills,no insurance and driver got away]HK Brougham 307 Powerglide,SS Torana Hatchback 253 4 speed [freaking GOLD ]HK Premier 186s Trimatic
XW Fairmont 302 auto,Torana SLR 5000 308 4peed [even BETTER freaking GOLD] HX Premier Wagon[rebuilt by an owner with way too much money,WB Cprice front end, full leather black interior mild 308 turbo 400 trans 9" diff lowered and painted BMW Midnite Blue, OMG I wish I still had that] I was a complete car nut intent on getting rid of any spare money I had.

Old Holden's are pretty cool. And now when cruising in our 1977 LTD if there is an old Holden going the other way or getting overtaken we invariably give each other a good long look. Love it, even at 20L/100km
Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
Dusty1
Giddy up!

First car was a HT Kingswood (no Belmont here!) with a 161 inside. Three on the tree, flat out at 55 mile. Used to take me to university every day for four years which was a 2.5 hour drive away. Jeez, it was rough, no heater, holes in the floor, linkages went so dad and I put a Speco shift in it - sporty!

Bought a xpack falcon wagon and took it to the wreckers. Probably the best place for it.

It did have an original Monaro black grill on it. Regret not keeping that.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #19
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

first car, hk kingswood. spent big $ and put mags on the rear. good car that one.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We arrived from the UK in 1966 when my dad got a job with the Australian government. First car here was a choice between a 1960 FB Holden or one of the first Ford Falcons. The FB got the nod; this was followed by an HD and then an HT Kingswood, the beige colour. I learned to drive in that one! He traded that on an HJ and went to Commodores after that. For the last 10 years or so he's had Camry's. I reckon these are too big for him now, he's 79, and am trying to convince him to go for a Focus!
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #21
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was brought home from the hospital in a Kingswood, and I pretty much grew up in the back of a HZ station wagon. I'm not a fan of the HQ-HZ sedans, they're too ugly IMO, but the wagons and Statesmans get the nod of approval. I don't like the XC styling either to be honest, much prefer the XA-B.
Old 22-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #22
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

loved the station wagons.. especially the HZ premier
the sexiest family planner on the roads...
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #23
LTDHO
The one and only

HQ 327 4 speed two door. I likey

Could be 350 or 308??
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe

Last edited by LTDHO; 22-07-2012 at 12:39 PM.
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #24
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Grew up around the old holdens, fords wernt to be seen anywhere
Learned to drive in a fully worked, 2oh2,triple carb mongrel cammed HQ van, then drove the other oldies toy a prem HZ with a 308/turbo 400 auto

Now, as the light has been turned on , ive only fords here, not a holden to be seen
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes , always liked the old hg 350 monaro, never really into hq`s that much even though we had a one tonner, my cousin had hq monaro 350 silver with orange bits (spray painters car), very nice unit, i liked that one.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #26
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Project car I want is a Kingswood ute with the Caprice front end... dirty old 308 with a lumpy cam and drag race the pants off it!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #27
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I guess it's a glorified Kingswood but my wife and I are putting the final touches on a genuine HQ GTS Monaro 4dr we've rebuilt from a shell. My brother bought a HX GTS from new so I have a soft spot for the 4 dr Monaro's. I'd still prefer to find a XA-XB-XC coupe though!!!!!
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Did Monaro's come in 4 doors? Because one of my mates has been given a 70s GTS with a 4sp and 253, its all factory original too.

Its got a LOT of rust though.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #29
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Did Monaro's come in 4 doors? Because one of my mates has been given a 70s GTS with a 4sp and 253, its all factory original too.

Its got a LOT of rust though.

The HQ models had 4 door GTS's.

I owed a HT 308 GTS poweglide 2nd owner a rust bucket and not the greatest car to drive but now very collectable. The old HQ Kingswod ute I once owned was not a bad car to drive. A couple of old pics of my old car . I was on P plates now that a while ago.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by buickman; 22-07-2012 at 05:51 PM.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #30
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i had a hj kingswood, it was a good honest and solid car. It started and ran great. But one thing, the tri matic was a joke, we used to call the box the tri hard.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post