Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Gay/Lesbian marriage?
Yes, I have no problem with it. 92 41.63%
No way, I don't agree with it at all. 64 28.96%
Couldn't give a toss about it either way. 35 15.84%
Meh, each one to their own. 30 13.57%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 12:44 AM   #1
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default Poll: Gay/Lesbian marriage.

I call on the masses of the AFF for their opinions on the subject - it's been in the news for well over a year now.

I personally don't mind at all - if two people love each other of the opposite sex or same sex, then so be it in my opinion.

The churches and others don't see it that way as I do - that's sweet, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Please don't turn this poll into a religion slanging match, discussion of religion is not permitted on the forum.

Just wanted to hear what you think about it.

All votes are totally anonymous in this poll.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
6 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 12:51 AM   #2
Cam
Stroking it...

Default Re: Poll: Gay/Lesbian marriage.

For it. I grew up with a gay mother.

The only hard thing about it was dealing with everybody else's opinions. Ya know, the ones whom my mums sexual preference had no effect on..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:51 AM   #3
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see the issue with it and it's embarrassing that as a so called first world country this is still an issue, it's embarrassing that the USA, a country so politically backward is further along in this issue than we are and its thoroughly disgusting that the only reason we don't have it here yet (every single poll has come out in favour by a fair margin) it because we have elected representatives rallying against it because of their own religious beliefs and personal bigotry, ignoring the will of their electorates.

I can't remember who said this, but my favourite quote on this issue is that people who are against gay marriage will be viewed in history the same way as people who were against black people sharing the front of the bus.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:01 AM   #4
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can we please call it what it is, marriage equality.

It is embarrassing that we are so far behind so many other countries who recognise marriage equality.

But I wonder if those opposed won't vote because they feel they will be set upon by those for it.

Last edited by deesun; 08-02-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:03 AM   #5
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Agreed Adamz - fully!

And Cams, a lesbian mother does not make for a lesser Mum - sexual preference does not define her, it's how she raised her son that matters.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
5 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 01:08 AM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What really gets on my nerves is our 'representatives' making their own judgement calls on what they feel personally.

They're supposed to represent their electorates, this whole 'against my beliefs/what I believe' shouldn't come into this.

They should be asking and talking with their electorate, our local MPs do regular meet and greets out on the streets where anyone is welcome to front them.

Personally I'm for it, who cares if they want to put 50% of their stuff on the line for the sake of a name and piece of paper, that's their call.

Its not up to us to interfere or judge.

Here is to more people spending money on receptions/weddings and more invites to a free drinking session and food.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:18 AM   #7
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I’m all for equality and I only wish Australia as a free society could be out in front and be a leader in issues like this.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 02:51 AM   #8
olfella
Cranky old bastard

The times, they are a changing. I used to 'worry' about girls kissing and blokes holding hands in public, but I am getting used to it. They are happy doing their thing, it is becoming more and more socially acceptable, and like was posted here earlier, we should/can share the same bus. So, no I dont have a problem with it now I can see it is not a threat to me or anyone else.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:07 AM   #9
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Conservatives control both sides of government where we have the minority ruling the majority and it’s seen in the unwillingness to progress and the need to control the population.

Australians should stand up and vote not just for equality for Gays but to show they are in charge and not the Politicians and maybe, just maybe we will become a forward thinking nation again.

We were once proud to be seen as a country that championed the underdog and we have allowed the conservatives to take that away from us.

Australia has taken many backward steps over the last 15 or so years and it's time we showed this is the best country in the world..
Old 08-02-2016, 05:49 AM   #10
Boosted8
Banned

It doesn't affect me and I don't really care what other people do with their lives.

If they want to get married, I say go ahead. I don't know why anyone would want to do that to themselves but each to their own
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 06:14 AM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Two same sex consenting adults should be free to enter into the same legal contract that an opposite sex couple can. That's the bottom line.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 07:42 AM   #12
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to have an issue with "marriage equality", but now I couldn't give a fat rats clacker about the issue, so I am one of the "Couldn't give a toss about it either way" voters.

I just wish a minority thing like this didn't take up so much political and editorial comment, there are far more important things to focus on in Australia
Old 08-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #13
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I can't think of anything worse - being in love without someone and not being allowed to marry if you choose. The state should stay out of things like this.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #14
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Straight guy here (unless in Thailand or out of smokes/Kebab money)...I've always wondered why people bash/hate gays - were they a different breed of sheep than 2016?

I love gay guys and I wish all males were homo.....MORE CHICKS FOR ME. The tattoo-clad meat axes will never understand. Just like they can't walk down the street with a golden retriever, it has to be a pit bull or staffy. Keep puffing that chest out yo.
9 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #15
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Straight guy here (unless in Thailand or out of smokes/Kebab money)...I've always wondered why people bash/hate gays - were they a different breed of sheep than 2016?

I love gay guys and I wish all males were homo.....MORE CHICKS FOR ME. The tattoo-clad meat axes will never understand. Just like they can't walk down the street with a golden retriever, it has to be a pit bull or staffy. Keep puffing that chest out yo.
Exactly my thoughts. We must be long lost brothers
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #16
Trump
bitch lasagne

I'm neither for it or agin' it. But I'm finding that a very important question isn't being asked by anyone at all:

What will a gay or lesbian couple actually gain by being able to legally marry?

When it comes to dealing with govco, you ALWAYS have to stop and ask yourself, what do I gain by signing paper XYZ and how much much are they going to screw me over? If the gain outweighs the negative, then sure go for it. But its govco, so eventually, they will screw you over.

A lesbain couple we are friends with said to me the following regarding marriage equality, "why would I want yet another contract to sign?"
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #17
superyob
Banned

Totally against it. Deviancy legitimisation. Not normal. Will never agree. Bring back the brownshirts...

Yes I am aware Ernst Rohm was a homo...
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #18
Makovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Totally against it. Deviancy legitimisation. Not normal. Will never agree. Bring back the brownshirts...

Yes I am aware Ernst Rohm was a homo...
The S.A. leadership was predominantly homosexual, like you indicated.

Hitler had most of them killed on the Night of the Long Knives.

The S.A. then fell under the command of the Wehrmacht while homosexuals were systematically rounded up and exterminated along with the disabled. The Nazis were nothing, if not thorough.

The problem seems to be that homosexuality cannot be eradicated. If it is a genetic anomaly, which Darwin identified, it occurs in numbers that are seemingly too large to correct by extermination or Eugenics. Natural Selection, for whatever reason, seems to be favouring the propagation of these aberrations.

The fact that they want to co-opt heterosexual customs, institutions and ceremonies seems to be an absurd but predictable attempt at gaining a kind of social legitimacy which history has so far denied them.

Thinking is the hardest work, and that's why so few people engage in it. Henry Ford
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its more so an issue in the USA where being married has legal advantages over being just a couple, shared tax return and making judgement calls in hospital etc I think.

Here you lose your 50% as a defacto couple anyway.

Marriage is a contract you enter into with the state anyway, but if they want to do it then be my guest.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #20
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm actually more interested in WHY some one would be against it. Because I honestly can't think of any reason.

I suppose people might think there is some sacred institution with marriage, but when you can just divorce and re-marry as you please, that's clearly a crock.

If two people want to join together in marriage, who the heck am I to say no! Go for gold!
Old 08-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #21
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
I'm actually more interested in WHY some one would be against it. Because I honestly can't think of any reason.
the reason I was against it is quite simple, I am a Darwinist and and Evolutionist, explain to me how homosexuality fits in that line of thinking, when you can understand that thinking then you will understand why some are against it

Of course most religions hate it because it stops a religious couple from reproducing and those producing the next generation of loyal religious sheeple

Now I couldn't give a **** if they get married or not, it just doesn't sit in with my line of thinking

I know lots of homosexual couples, my 'beliefs' don't interfere with how I interact with them, I am sure they would hate my beliefs, but they are MY beliefs
6 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #22
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post

Now I couldn't give a **** if they get married or not, it just doesn't sit in with my line of thinking
Trev, I'm not trying to pick on your views at all, so please don't think I am.

But, with the quoted part above, does that not mean that honestly you couldn't care if they do get married?

So, if it means the world to them, and it doesn't have any effect (or affect, I never get the right use) on you, why not let them do it?
Old 08-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #23
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
Trev, I'm not trying to pick on your views at all, so please don't think I am.

But, with the quoted part above, does that not mean that honestly you couldn't care if they do get married?

So, if it means the world to them, and it doesn't have any effect (or affect, I never get the right use) on you, why not let them do it?
I couldn't care if they get married or not, marriage started out as a religious process to keep people together and of course exert the churches control over people.

Ultimately 'marriage' is just a piece of paper, homosexuals have for years (in Australia) been given all the legal privileges that go with 'marriage', so I don't know what all the stink is about, just let them get their bit of paper if it makes them happy and it will get it off my TV so far more important things can be reported on

Plus, our best friend is a Marriage Celebrant, so it will help her income no end
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #24
kezzer

Against.
Just by calling something marriage, doesn't mean its marriage.
Traditionally for thousands of years in all walks of life, marriage has been a covenant, between husband and wife, which by its own course, propagates procreation and education of kids, unity and also wellbeing of the spouses.

Promotion of gay marriage does the exact opposite. It denies the evident biological, physiological, and psychological differences between men and women. It flies in the face of the primary purpose of marriage: the perpetuation of the human race and the raising of children.

Two entirely different things cannot be considered the same thing.
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
8 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #25
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer View Post
Against.
Just by calling something marriage, doesn't mean its marriage.
Traditionally for thousands of years in all walks of life, marriage has been a covenant, between husband and wife, which by its own course, propagates procreation and education of kids, unity and also wellbeing of the spouses.

Promotion of gay marriage does the exact opposite. It denies the evident biological, physiological, and psychological differences between men and women. It flies in the face of the primary purpose of marriage: the perpetuation of the human race and the raising of children.

Two entirely different things cannot be considered the same thing.
So you're against infertile couples marrying then? Old people cannot remarry if they're widows etc?

Addressing some other points in this thread, gay people may not want to marry (just as some straight people dont), what they want is the choice!

Calling it a union, is still discriminating (you can marry, but it wont be the same as our marriage).

And banging on about tradition or 'the sanctity of marriage' loses all momentum when people get married for a few hours, then get it annulled. Or anyone who has ever gotten a divorce. 'Traditional' marriage is til death do you part. None of this 'i found someone better' crap.

Luckily for the planet, with each passing day, another bigot dies off, and so does their way of backwards thinking. (I bet these same people think that blacks are slaves, and women shouldn't be out of the kitchen...). Its not 1900 anymore ;)
Old 08-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #26
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those members who believe marriage as an institution has been around for thousands of years need to read more and maybe get a little background in Theology while they’re at it.

Marriage came about as a legal means for a man to force a woman to obey (in other words to have sex without repercussions).

Marriage and I’m not talking about historical male and female unions, I’m talking about a legally binding Marriage was invented by men to oppress women, marriage meant that women were the property of men, it had nothing to do with love nor did it have anything to do with binding a family unit.

Marriage as we know it today is a very modern interpretation and from what I can see in the free world, it is a bond that is continuing to evolve.

Forced marriages still exist in some cultures that hold onto ancient concepts.

If marriage is so sacred then why is divorce so rife?
Old 08-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #27
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
(I bet these same people think that women shouldn't be out of the kitchen...). Its not 1900 anymore ;)
Exactly where ELSE should they be???
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
5 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #28
superyob
Banned

Quote:
So you're against infertile couples marrying then? Old people cannot remarry if they're widows etc?

normal

Addressing some other points in this thread, gay people may not want to marry (just as some straight people dont), what they want is the choice!

abnormal

Calling it a union, is still discriminating (you can marry, but it wont be the same as our marriage).

If you are gay, you are outside the normal operating range of biological and societal behaviour. You are even proud of your differences. You cannot have 'marriage' in its traditional form. Show me someone who espouses the 'virtue' of anti discrimination and I'll show you a hypocritical liar...

And banging on about tradition or 'the sanctity of marriage' loses all momentum when people get married for a few hours, then get it annulled. Or anyone who has ever gotten a divorce. 'Traditional' marriage is til death do you part. None of this 'i found someone better' crap.

Agree. Been happily married for 24 years with successful grown up children. Despise the people who cheapen the institution.

Luckily for the planet, with each passing day, another bigot dies off, and so does their way of backwards thinking. (I bet these same people think that blacks are slaves, and women shouldn't be out of the kitchen...). Its not 1900 anymore ;)
Calling people bigots because they uphold thousands of years worth of beliefs and then wishing them to die is far worse than me opposing a perverted, contradictory ideology. Progressive thinking is not necessarily positive or well thought out...

Apologies for butchering your post Stealthy, I am not quite that good with a computer...

Last edited by superyob; 08-02-2016 at 02:33 PM.
8 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 03:26 AM   #29
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:

Here's a perfect example of what I mentioned in my previous post, especially that last paragraph.

Stealthy I respect that you have your opinion but I find the above to be mostly counter intuitive, overly emotive, tripe.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #30
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
It is a simple fact that our anatomies were designed to be compatible with the opposite sex. Any sexual interaction between same sexes was never intended by nature and is just plain wrong.

I oppose gay marriage because it sends a message to society that such behavior is perfectly normal and intended by nature which quite clearly it never was.
Normal, nature?!?!
What does that even mean?

Whatever we are able to accomplish with out bits, is nature.
If nature really didn't want it to happen, our weeners wouldn't fit in our poopers...

A simplified way of looking at it for sure, but sometimes it is that simple.
Quote:
If these people want to **** each other behind closed doors then so be it, but why does their crap have do be shoved in our faces on a daily basis and negatively influence young children in the process?
I'm guessing it bothers you more than it does children.
Don't forget, adult gays were gay children too...
Closed Thread