Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default School zones - speed related

Just watching the local Brisbane news and low and behold Scruby was on there on his banter about the 40kmh school zones being too fast and he wants all of Australia to follow the Adelaide speed limit of 25kmh for all school zones - fair enough we have to protect the kiddies and some idiot parents as well BUT he wants it to be 25kmh for all of the school hours plus an hour or so either side ie from 630am to 630pm inclusive Australia wide so there is no confusion
I personally find the 40 kmh between 7-9 and 2-4 to be adequate as the kids should be in school between the times not running around out side the school grounds with out a parent or teacher

And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU XR8
Just watching the local Brisbane news and low and behold Scruby was on there on his banter about the 40kmh school zones being too fast and he wants all of Australia to follow the Adelaide speed limit of 25kmh for all school zones - fair enough we have to protect the kiddies and some idiot parents as well BUT he wants it to be 25kmh for all of the school hours plus an hour or so either side ie from 630am to 630pm inclusive Australia wide so there is no confusion
I personally find the 40 kmh between 7-9 and 2-4 to be adequate as the kids should be in school between the times not running around out side the school grounds with out a parent or teacher
The suggestion for a 25km/h school zone is freaking ludicrous. It's hard enough (especially in an auto) trying to keep to the 40 zones.. and you can imagine how many mobile revenue units they'd have sitting there if that passed through. In Melbourne the 40 zones are between 8-9:30am and 2:30-4pm, which is intrusive enough. Why don't they just shut off the roads and divert the traffic ? You get enough impatient biartches in lancers up your backside as it is.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

25km? ИИИИin hell, as if 40 isnt slow enough. If you cant brake and stop within like a second doing 40, your a bloody idiot. 25km, may as well get out and walk faster then the car.
Old 18-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
FordGuy
CRAZY ABOUT FORDS

Next you will be walking the school zones not driving.And I thought we had issues with our school speed zones.
FordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy
Next you will be walking the school zones not driving.And I thought we had issues with our school speed zones.
Yeah, 25km/h is about 15mph.. ridiculous.
Old 18-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
FordGuy
CRAZY ABOUT FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
Yeah, 25km/h is about 15mph.. ridiculous.

That's the exact speed of our school zones here in Florida.
Believe me I know how you feel.
Old 18-03-2006, 10:17 PM   #7
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

does it really matter.......
these are children zones, personally i dont care
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #8
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
No one is disputing that these are children zones, and that care must be taken around children when driving, but 40km/h combined with some general aptitude and awareness seems to me to be more than enough to keep everyone safe. Unless there have been studies to prove otherwise ? If so i'm happy to read them.
Old 18-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #9
FordGuy
CRAZY ABOUT FORDS

Angry

Quote:
Yes it matters & you very much should care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me started more when it involves children!!!!!!
Old 18-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #10
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Yes it matters & you very much should care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me started more when it involves children!!!!!!
I'm actually wondering which way he meant that comment though now.. You could interpret it either way
Old 18-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #11
FordGuy
CRAZY ABOUT FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
I'm actually wondering which way he meant that comment though now.. You could interpret it either way

Then he needs to clarify what he meant by that comment.
Just want clarifiaction don't want to cause any trouble.
Old 18-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #12
FordGuy
CRAZY ABOUT FORDS

Angry

Quote:
I really want you to clarify what you mean by you don't care. You should when it comes to the safety of a child.
Old 18-03-2006, 10:49 PM   #13
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I really want you to clarify what you mean by you don't care. You should when it comes to the safety of a child.
Chill down. I'm almost certain he meant it as in "It's just the actual school zones where the speed would change, which doesn't concern me (him)" - not as in "I don't care cause I do 80km/h through there anyway in disregard of children"
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 10:57 PM   #14
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Who cares what he meant. He's entitled to his opinion.
Old 18-03-2006, 11:00 PM   #15
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

An emotive thread. One must balance what is workable to what is safest for each situation. I think for school roads, where people park and pick up kids at beginning and end of school is fine to have fairly low speed limits, I think 40kmph is fine, although in some situations a lesser speed may be appropriate. But to have them hours before or after these times is stupid. I mean do they wish to slow all cars down to 5kmph or have no cars at all.
Old 18-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #16
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
An emotive thread. One must balance what is workable to what is safest for each situation. I think for school roads, where people park and pick up kids at beginning and end of school is fine to have fairly low speed limits, I think 40kmph is fine, although in some situations a lesser speed may be appropriate. But to have them hours before or after these times is stupid. I mean do they wish to slow all cars down to 5kmph or have no cars at all.
Exactly.
Old 18-03-2006, 10:57 PM   #17
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Mate your a Pi$$er.......
Dont tell me, you have an AK47 in the house and know how to use it.
I couldnt care less if the speeds were 25 km/hr in school zones, afterall they are where children frequent quiet often, and where kids do run across the roads, so for me not really a bad idea.
Any dip$hit that would think by my comment being about not caring for kids especially in kid zones needs to re assess where his head would be better off suited.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :

Last edited by svo347; 18-03-2006 at 11:15 PM.
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #18
FordGuy
CRAZY ABOUT FORDS

Quote:
Mate your a Pi$$er.......
Dont tell me, you have an AK47 in the house and know how to use it.
I couldnt care less if the speeds were 25 km/hr in school zones, afterall they are where children frequent quiet often, and where kids do run across the roads, so for me not really a bad idea.
Any dip$hit that would think by my comment being about not caring for kids especially in kid zones needs to re assess where his head would be better off suited.....

You know the Dip$hit comment really is not needed all I wanted was for you to clarify what you said earlier the namecalling is not needed. If I said anything harsh I apologize up front but again the Dip$hit comment was not needed.I'm done with it and you. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND.
Old 18-03-2006, 11:45 PM   #19
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Wouldn't Darwins theory of evolution apply here?
Basically if you're too stupid to walk or run onto a road without looking you're gonna face the inevitable?

Seriously though, I believe instead of making us all Nanny states, we should focus on educating the children more than forcing drivers to go below 40kph.
For instance, I remember when I was a child we were taught by our school teachers and parents how to cross the road. There were also ads on during the hours that kids would normally be watching tv to reiterate to them with witty jingles the rules for crossing the road. This was by far more effective than any speed zones and quite frankly, it was almost unheard of at the time, that kids were struck down crossing the road.
Now, it's all about shifting responsibility to a third party ie the drivers.

And Ford Guy I think you coming from an american perspective need to appreciate that in Oz we have a number of police radar, fixed speed cameras and time shifting speed cameras that patrol our school zones.
Fine you say, well the problem is that we have no warning lights for the school zones, just a sign on the side of the road which is often obscured by growth of trees and shrubs and a sign painted on the road surface. You are not alerted within the zone just at the beginning.
With the variable speed cameras it is up to us drivers to set our cars time to GMT in order to avoid possibly losing 6 points off our licences for doing 60 in a 60 zone that is temporarily 40. The problem here is that most school zones are so poorly identified that you don't realise you are in one until halfway through.

If the speed in a school zone were to move to 25kmh that would mean that not realising you are in a school zone could cost you your licence. This is not down to inattentiveness either, this is because quite often there will be traffic, and you will be focussing your attention on the conditions ie somebody trying to turn right in front of you.

Quote: