Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2006, 08:35 AM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Iranians talk AU$3/L for petrol

Read in the newspaper yesterday that some Iranian oil minister indicated the cost of petrol in Australia would rise to AU$3/L by next year (obviously he probably wasn't talking specifically about Australia, but that the price of crude oil would skyrocket .. maybe double or treble). Last time this guy opened his mouth petrol in Oz went to $1.40/L.

At AU$3/L, how would you cope?

From a transport perspective I live in a rural area about 20min drive from work .. ain't no bus/train to catch. I could probably cope by forcing my wife to travel with me to work - two cars are the moment - so it would be the same cost, just more inconvenient.

Problem isn't really our personal transport, it's the ongoing price increases of everything .. then I'd assume some stuff would just become unavailable.

Not a nice thought .. maybe the greenies will soon win by attrition?

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:42 AM   #2
mr_efxr
Not your average EF Wagon

That is the main point, everything else is going up but our pay stays the same, in some cases even gets reduced.

The recently SOLD 95 EF Wagon 5spd NA SLEEPER

The Daily cruisers now *95 R33 Skyline GTS-T RB25DET *93 Lexus GS300 2JZ-GTE

Car enthusiasts visit Unique Cars and Parts
mr_efxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Frightening.
The only good to come out of this though is that the higher prices go for petrol, the more pressure there is on developing alternative energy. Shale oil is an immediate option as well as oil from coal; which we used to do in WW2. Additionally, brazil is using pure ethanol in alot of their cars which has significantly reduced pollution, and is renewable. They're producing it there at on such a scale it works out cheaper than petrol, and their government has aided industry with grants for the necessary infrastructure.

Hopefully OPEC and the like who are driving prices will get their just deserts when the west develops alternative fuel that makes nobody want any of their crude.
I can't see how there will be much sympathy when we are going to be hit up by the UN for aid for the middle east as nobody wants their only export.
Most disgusting thing though, is that the saudi's are actually really poor; it's their royal family who have exploited all of the oil fields and claimed them as theirs. Saw one of them has an Audi S8 all made in sterling silver; not to mention the fleet of Maybach's etc.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

.. and it doesn't help hearing this morning that the White House isn't denying the possibility of using nukes against Iran for facilitate "regime change" ..
Old 10-04-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

I would be keeping my car in the garage and use it only on special occasions. It would cast me $204 to fill up. I would buy one of those mini scooter thingies to get to work on and visit people with, and would be catching a bus or train (if I could afford the ticket prices, as they would go up as well) to go on any holidays.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
johnnyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
I would be keeping my car in the garage and use it only on special occasions. It would cast me $204 to fill up. I would buy one of those mini scooter thingies to get to work on and visit people with, and would be catching a bus or train (if I could afford the ticket prices, as they would go up as well) to go on any holidays.
YOU should be so lucky mate

MY fuel cell would cost between 240-260 to fill up

For that price the car would be locked up in the garage for good and kept as a collectors item

a vesper sounds good $15 to fill up
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:12 AM   #7
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Well, I know for a fact Pratt and Whitney have made and are testing an engine that produces 110,000lbs of thrust and runs solely on Hydrogen.
That's further evidence that alternatives are being sought.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 10-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #8
falcon91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Well, I know for a fact Pratt and Whitney have made and are testing an engine that produces 110,000lbs of thrust and runs solely on Hydrogen.
Will that fit into an EA with a few mods?? :nutsycuck
falcon91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 AM   #9
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon91
Will that fit into an EA with a few mods?? :nutsycuck
With enough cable ties, anythings possible in an E-series.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
big fella
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Until they can find an energy efficient method of extracting hydrogen from water, the benefit is little. At the moment, from what I understand, the easiest way to produce usable Hydrogen is from hydrocarbons.

I remember hearing on the abc radio that an Australian university had discovered an efficient way of using solar energy to extract Hydrogen from water. I've heard nothing since and can't find anything on the web.
big fella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 AM   #11
ltd
Force Fed Fords

And i meant to add, Pratt and Whitney are engine and turbine manufacturers. Primarily, they supply jet engines to airlines

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 10-04-2006, 10:05 AM   #12
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

weren't we supposed to be paying about $2 a litre now?
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #13
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think a move to have combustion engine cars running on high levels of ethanol would be a good move for the next decade or so, new cars would have to be re-configured to accept it so we don't have to rely on oil as much. It's not possible for many current cars to run on it without mods. This would get us by until things like hydrogen cars become mainstream possibilities
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #14
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
weren't we supposed to be paying about $2 a litre now?
Currently AU$1.35 .. and only a couple of car bombs away from AU$2 easy meezthinks ..
Old 10-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #15
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Currently AU$1.35 .. and only a couple of car bombs away from AU$2 easy meezthinks ..
yes but the analysts last year were talking up a definite price of $2, in other words no one really knows what we are going to be paying when, all we know is it keeps rising for no real reason.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #16
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
all we know is it keeps rising for no real reason.
Plenty of good reasons. Supply and demand being two of them.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #17
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Saw one of them has an Audi S8 all made in sterling silver; not to mention the fleet of Maybach's etc.
http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/silveraudi.asp

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #18
max^power
Formerly au^ute

not suprised. they should just put it up to $5/l on the weekend and holidays just to get us used to it. can't wait for that day, see if they blame the GST then.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:40 AM   #19
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Ipod and public transport methinks.... Car for weekends.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:44 AM   #20
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Shale oil is not an immediate option as some may think

http://www.econbrowser.com/archives/...ale_retor.html

To quote one of the people working on such a project:

Quote:
If you heat this shale to 700 degrees F you will turn this organic carbon (kerogen) into the nastiest, stinkiest, gooiest, pile of oil-like crap that you can imagine. Then if you send it through the gnarliest oil refinery on the planet you can make this s*** into transportation fuel. In the mean time you have created all kinds of nasty byproducts, have polluted the air and groundwater of wherever you have extracted it.
The shale, when heated, expands significantly in size and therefore it cant all go back to where it was dug out from. Oh, the waste rock is also carcinogenic and you need about 2 metric tonnes to generate one barrel of oil. 3 barrels of water are required in the production of 1 barrel of oil. I think it'd be more economical to continue lining the pockets of the saudi royals - $3/L prob cheaper than any alternative fuel.

Coal is an effective source of oil through gasificiation - but coal is a finite resource just like oil. A dramatic shift to the liquification of coal would see coal peak in about 2 decades (http://www.fromthewilderness.com/fre...coal_peak.html) which would put us in a similar position to oil... in order to switch to coal for our oil needs (a ridiculous suggestion i know) would require coal to be mined at 500% of the current production rate (http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/SecondPage.html) - an excercise which is expected to generate such massive global warming that the planet dies off.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #21
parawolf
beep beep

man, i'm going to open a bike store somewhere.... and I mean push bikes!
Old 10-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #22
micksta

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
fuk it .. sounds like a good idea..

although i woudln't even make it into the main street nowadays lol.

but a new pushy does sound alright.

easy to fix too lol.
micksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #23
Bax
Projecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
I spent my money last week. Fitness and easy on the wallet all in one hit.
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 02:18 PM   #24
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Pratt & Whitney developed said engine from a JT9D engine that had a different core placed in it. This engine is commonly used on the 747 and 767. The engine produced a whopping 80% more thrust due to the higher temperature hydrogen burns at, as well as the greater thermal expansion from higher temperatures.

As for Shale Oil, 4.9 EF I agree with you, however in the same report Shell claim they are able to extract it in situ for 30 dollars a barrel, with minimal environmental damage and energy needs. We'll have to wait and see.
Australia does have large reserves of natural gas, and we also have plenty of coal. There is also talk of going nuclear as technologies have improved vastly as to what to do with spent fuel. Who knows, maybe we could get our cars to run on nuclear power - imagine the mods you could do. Would really put meaning to the term "bomb" wouldn't it?

Quote: