Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2006, 01:20 AM   #1
xfalconz

Default Toyota TV Ad

Watching the F1 tonight and noticed an advert for Toyota Aurion (think thats what its called) Camry replacement
Anyway they compare the fact that big Aussie sixes have been going the same way inspired by touring cars whereas the new Toyota is different, it goes against the flow and is inspired by F1.
Point being thats a bit of a big call! at least Falcon/Commodore have similarities to touring cars, V8,RWD,Sedan
The thing that got me is how can they make that claim when Toyota is FWD.
This isnt a RWD vs FWD thread just an observation on b------t advertising, would anyone buy the Toyota based on that ad..

xfalconz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 01:42 AM   #2
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Marketing, the art of Bull5hit baffeling Science.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
Faker
Certified Nutcase

It's the O2 advantage (or read as above).
Old 12-06-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Their just trying to use racing for marketing hope it has the effect for them on their "sport" range of cars as V8 supercars have help Ford & Holden.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

I think the main point they are trying to make is that the Aurion will be a high-tech car in comparison to the Commodore, and, to a lesser extent, the Falcon. By saying that its 'inspired' by F1 rather than V8 Supercars, they are pointing out that the higher-tech nature of the Aurion is similar to the higher-tech nature of Formula One, compared to V8 Supercars, which still use pushrod engines.

As I said, its more applicable to Holden than Ford, as none of the Falcon engines use pushrods anymore.

I guess the main point is, Toyota is going to learn a lot more from F1 than Ford or Holden is going to learn from V8 Supercars, as the V8s have nothing in common with the road cars.

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #6
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutura
the Aurion will be a high-tech car in comparison to the Commodore
That's a pretty big call to make. Would you like to elaborate as to what will make the Aurion so technically superior to the VE?
If it's due to the fact that the V8 in the Commodores are pushrod engines then you're really clutching at straws.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
That's a pretty big call to make. Would you like to elaborate as to what will make the Aurion so technically superior to the VE?
If it's due to the fact that the V8 in the Commodores are pushrod engines then you're really clutching at straws.
would you like to share any facts as to what is going to make the VE more superior to the aurion, at least toyota have shown their vehicle to the public months before the release and aren't hiding their specs
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 10:41 PM   #8
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

Quote:
You might want to try actually reading and comprehending a message before posting a retort.

Quote:
I think the main point they are trying to make is that the Aurion will be a high-tech car in comparison to the Commodore, and, to a lesser extent, the Falcon
I wasn't saying that I thought the Aurion was technically superior to the Commodore and Falcon, I was saying that that is the message Toyota is trying to send through the 'F1' comment in the ad.

But just for the record, I'm willing to bet that the Aurion will be technically superior to the VE - I don't have any factual evidence on which to base that call, but history is on my side. How many Falcons and Commodores had DOHC engines in the 80's?

You can only have two.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:12 PM   #9
stevz
Banned

Quote:
I wasn't saying that I thought the Aurion was technically superior to the Commodore and Falcon, I was saying that that is the message Toyota is trying to send through the 'F1' comment in the ad.
Ok, but while Toyota may be implying this, they didn't actally say that, so your statement is made up of your own words. I also quote your sentence "and to a lesser extent the falcon" in which you are also implying that the VE will be technically inferior to the falcon, which I doubt very highly, well compared to the BF anyway. It's too early to start speculating about the Orion falcon just yet.
Quote:
But just for the record, I'm willing to bet that the Aurion will be technically superior to the VE - I don't have any factual evidence on which to base that call, but history is on my side. How many Falcons and Commodores had DOHC engines in the 80's?
Well we'll just have to wait and see, but it not the 80's any more, it's 2006. The VE has a brand new platform, quad cam engine, an advanced pushrod v8, 5/6 speed autos, 5 star safety, and a sophisticated suspension setup. It has had major advances in almost every department and is good enough to be a world class car.
As I said, we'll have to wait and see, but I just don't see what is going to make the Aurion so superior.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #10
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

Quote:
As I said, we'll have to wait and see, but I just don't see what is going to make the Aurion so superior.
the fact that in 6 years there won't be a bunch of one-eyed tossers with a red plate on it driving them around like morons
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 01:36 AM   #11
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
an advanced pushrod v8
Thats an oximoron.

Quote:
and a sophisticated suspension setup.
As sophisticated as the last lot of suspension?

Holden have and will never have anything on toyota. I have a AU falcon, love it to death, great room, good econ (LPG) and power. My mum has a Toyota Echo, even better econ (even on ULP) and it has never broken down. She's had it 3 yrs, ive had my AU 5 months and its already gone back to the dealer with bugs several times.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #12
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

firstly its not the camry replacement, never has been never will be but camry are going all 2.4 4cyl 130kw in the next model and the aurion will be a 3.5L v6 206kw with close to 400nm.

yes they are using FWD in 90% of the range but the S/C V6 will be AWD as they share the kluger platform and 6speed auto is std across the range.

if they can pull 800hp out of a 3.5L V8 for F1 thats impressive.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Has anyone mentioned to Toyota that Ford has powered multiple championship winning F1 cars. Toyota can't even win 1 race let alone a championship. :MrT_anim:
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #14
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

If it is inspired by Toyota’s F1 efforts does that mean that the road car will be a Ferrari copy?

Ford paid Cosworth to produce the V8. It was already designed they just needed someone to pay for putting their logo on the cylinder heads. Fords effort at running a complete car (Jaguar) don’t speak too well. They were getting better as Stewarts, Ford bought out the team and their performance dropped a lot, then Red Bull bought them out and they improved (admittedly that performance was in the development pipeline before Red Bull bought the company). Ford didn’t get much of a return for the hundreds of millions that they wasted when they were running an F1 team.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #15
chief
FTF Club Moderator

The Aurion has always been featured in one colour and with those blacked out headlights. So when it is release and you can see the car in different colours it will be obvious how bad it is, plus going to clear headlights wont help it either. The public would expect to see the car in the adds.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #16
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
The Aurion has always been featured in one colour and with those blacked out headlights. So when it is release and you can see the car in different colours it will be obvious how bad it is, plus going to clear headlights wont help it either. The public would expect to see the car in the adds.
its just a show of the hero colour, its also been shown in silver in base and high spec as well have a look at drive.com etc for some examples, at least toyota put effort into quality controll and after sales service, if holden and ford took a leaf out of their book they might not be in the situation they are now, but toyota have long been a bland basic car company good to see they are finaly waking up and giving some enthusiests a choice.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #17
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
its just a show of the hero colour, its also been shown in silver in base and high spec as well have a look at drive.com etc for some examples, at least toyota put effort into quality controll and after sales service, if holden and ford took a leaf out of their book they might not be in the situation they are now, but toyota have long been a bland basic car company good to see they are finaly waking up and giving some enthusiests a choice.
well said!
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #18
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
at least toyota put effort into quality controll and after sales service, if holden and ford took a leaf out of their book they might not be in the situation they are now
Quality is one thing - then there is reliabilty and resale value. There are people on this very forums struggling to sell their BA XR6Ts and XR8s for half of what they paid for 3 years ago because their car is already 2 models old - thank you yearly updates.

Quote:
toyota have long been a bland basic car company
Very true. It cracks me up when people say they'd never consider a Toyota because they make boring cars yet somehow forget to realise that they sell more cars then anyone else and have enough $$ in reserve to buy out GM tomorrow if they wanted to.

Quote:
good to see they are finaly waking up and giving some enthusiests a choice.
I recon a new Supra would be the go... Provided it had a V8 that sounded good I'd take any Toyota over a Ford.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #19
Barry_v
rocknrolla

I wonder if toyota F1 cars have plastic dipsticks.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fords won plenty of races over the years toyota will be a long time catching up, did`nt see too many toyotas around when ford was kicking ferraris ***
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #21
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
fords won plenty of races over the years toyota will be a long time catching up, did`nt see too many toyotas around when ford was kicking ferraris ***
That was decades ago, plus japan was just trying to get back on their feet after the war... guess they have, and look where they are now. Without a doubt Ford has a better heritage, but what use is that now? I remember in a report i read on the net, with toyota telling the Big 3 to 'try harder'. Couldnt have been said any better , even though the Big3 were selling cars, they're not making any profit, they're just not as efficient as toyota in making cars and its coming back to them. Catching up? races are just to promote the brand. i dont think toyota needs to do any catchin up especially since they're the most profitiable car company and are already the 2nd highest selling brand worldwide. Ford needs to do their homework.
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #22
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
That was 40 years ago. Don’t really see Ford beating Ferrari (or Renault) in F1 or Audi/VW at Le Mans (although Aston will be competing in the lesser categories) either. You sound like BMW and Mercedes before Lexus came along. How many factories is Toyota going to close soon?

While Ford and GM come out with “halo” cars like the GT, Mustang, Z06, etc their basic cars do not sell to enough buyers. While quantity is no guarantee of quality (look at McDonalds), Toyotas bottom line looks secure. Ford finally look as if they have got a few companies working together on good base models that are spread through out the range – Mazda 6 - Ford 400, Mazda 3 – Focus – small Volvo they still have a while to go.

Their rally program was looking shaky, they’ve pulled out of the IRL, Toyota have just started Nascar sedan racing, V8 supercars is a closed shop that they don’t want anyone else entering. When in doubt play the heritage card and bump up power and hope like hell that Aston and Jag can post a profit soon. While Ford and GM could do some wonderful things if they had the money their problem is that they don’t have the $$$ to spare.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #23
Phoon Hoon

Camry's sell well, but they are, ummmm, as boring as bat sh1t. Everyone knows that Camry drivers get 4 free cardigans with every purchase. They are: beige, off white, cream and bone. Sportivo drivers get one in red.

The F1 call is to try and capture the imagination.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #24
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoon Hoon
Camry's sell well, but they are, ummmm, as boring as bat sh1t. Everyone knows that Camry drivers get 4 free cardigans with every purchase. They are: beige, off white, cream and bone. Sportivo drivers get one in red.
Damn, my old lady got scammed - no cardigans for her when she picked up her Camry. Come to think of it we didn't get cardigans when we picked up the Corolla or the Hiace either! :
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #25
Maxim

I work for Toyota head office in Sydney.

I drive a Mustang and have an Echo for weekend cruising.

I dont know how they out sell Holden/Ford but watch out, Toyota will sell plenty of Camrys and they will be the one to keep up with in the future.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 07:54 PM   #26
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota make very ininspriring cars and they're made to a budget. But they work and most of the time a screwed together well. They may not be as nice to drive as a falcon and commodore (opinion based) but i think people are tired of the crap ford and holden dish out model after model. toyota's marketing is a little creative (and a little arrogant at times) but that's what it is all about.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 01:20 AM   #27
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

Has anyone else noticed the increase in number of Holden fanboys on AFF recently?

I can't help but think they would be more comfortable over at LS1.com where they aren't required to defend the Commodore every 15 minutes.

I don't go over there and rag on the Commodore and valiently defend the Falcon so I don't understand the need for them to do the reverse over here.

And before anyone accuses me of being one-eyed, I've owned 2 Falcons, a Corona and an MR2 in the last 5 years, so I feel I'm more than qualified to comment on the difference between Japanese and Australian cars.

You can only have two.
Old 13-06-2006, 01:21 AM   #28
monaroCountry

In the telegraph a couple of days ago showed how much it would be to fill up a car. The toyota camry took $97 to fill up 70L the commodore took $104 to fill up 75L. For the amount of car you get, power and for the amount of space/comfort you get from a commodore those $8 difference is well worth it.

Toyotas supposed supperior engine technology is definately not evident from those figures. Also the LSx pushrod engine is one of the most respected powerformance engine in the world. Toyota offers nothing in their v8 lineup as desirable as an LS2 or LS7.
monaroCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #29
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
In the telegraph a couple of days ago showed how much it would be to fill up a car. The toyota camry took $97 to fill up 70L the commodore took $104 to fill up 75L. For the amount of car you get, power and for the amount of space/comfort you get from a commodore those $8 difference is well worth it. .
Not having a go at you but that dosn't mean anything. Its about how many kilometres you get out of the tank not how much it costs to fill up. By the same logic my V16 1000hp drag car only takes $30 of fuel to fill its 18L tank, must be a fuel miser ey?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #30
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
In the telegraph a couple of days ago showed how much it would be to fill up a car. The toyota camry took $97 to fill up 70L the commodore took $104 to fill up 75L. For the amount of car you get, power and for the amount of space/comfort you get from a commodore those $8 difference is well worth it.

Toyotas supposed supperior engine technology is definately not evident from those figures. Also the LSx pushrod engine is one of the most respected powerformance engine in the world. Toyota offers nothing in their v8 lineup as desirable as an LS2 or LS7.
Dude why they need to if you think business point of view they are hitting the right target everytime, also Holden and Ford is pretty much getting the same engine as the Toyota, why you want a v8 sedan while its better to put into the 4wd and save fuel with a big car like that
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post