Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
tim2x

Default Xr or XT

hey guy's

i'd love to upgrade to either a XT OR XR within the next year.. but ill still be on my P's......but considering the price of the insurance for the XR6....the xt would be a better choice.....but considering that i do want rims/bodykit/lowering and what not for XT... in the end it might end up the same price even with the insurance..

What do you guys think?

tim2x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
promina

Id say Xt. leave money for custom stuff

Promina
promina is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #3
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

It's a hard choice i agree, the xt will leave you money to modify it, but the xr6 looks good stock, not saying the xt looks bad or anything
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
XRated
Shoot.

Fairmont

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Does the XR actually cost more? I'd shop around.....

As above I'd seriously consider a Fairmont too....

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

XR.

Why settle for your second option if you don't have to.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

You could call up a few places and see how much insurance will be for both cars. Alot of companies wont insure drivers under 25 with an XR N/A. At least than you know can make a better decision than people on this forum telling you their idea when they dont know your situation.
If you like the look of an XT than it will be cheaper on insurance and you could finish the body of by putting a kit on from AWC? I personally only wanted an XR but everyone's different.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn, I thought you meant a old XR/XT.

Anyway, I reckon a XT Fairmont.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #9
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Buy an XT, , de badge it, , lower it, tint it, and get some classy wheels, and it WILL look better than an XR6, , !

Then you will only be paying insurance for a "TAXI" model !

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #10
tim2x

Yeah seem's xt's a better way to go.. specially to put it on GAS too.. which would be a good idea considering prices for petrol :p

Does anyone know the prices for the XR bodykit for BA incl fitting and painting?

cheer's
Old 15-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #11
promina

if you debaged the back of an XT there would be an oval indentation in the bootlid
Old 15-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #12
XR666T

Fairmont ;)

Get a Ghia though... wish mine was a Ghia :(
XR666T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #13
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by promina
if you debaged the back of an XT there would be an oval indentation in the bootlid
LOL :

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 02:08 PM   #14
promina

^

After reading your post, ive decided your user name suits you :P
Old 15-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #15
XR666T

Nah Timmy, in all seriousness... go for an XR6. You'll regret it if you go the way of doing up an XT/Fairmont... I sure do (I reckon mine looks boring)!

XRs look hot whereas the non-XR Falcons are a bit too plain (coming from the owner of one). Also as XRchic said it's not just cosmetic differences between them.
Old 15-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #16
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2x
Yeah seem's xt's a better way to go.. specially to put it on GAS too.. which would be a good idea considering prices for petrol :p

Does anyone know the prices for the XR bodykit for BA incl fitting and painting?

cheer's
Firstly, bear in mind that the XR6 NA (I am assuming that is what you mean when you say XR, as that could meant XR6T or XR8) has a 3.46 diff as standard while the XT has 3.23...

The XR also has lower springs and different shocks and comes standard with 17 inch mag wheels. The XT has 16 inch steel wheels with wheel covers standard.

The XR also has way better seats and the blue dash lights which look a lot better.

You cant get dual fuel on the BA, it is dedicated gas. So you dont have any options. You dont want to put a BA on gas aftermarket as the engine is not designed for it unless it has come out of the factory that way. BAs on gas are gutless anyway. If you are looking to save fuel and go slower, then why bother with a BA at all? Why not just get a 4 banger?

It would cost about $2.5K convert to gas. To be worthwhile, you would have to do a LOT of km every year for it to pay for itself, and all the while you are driving a gutless slug.

I dont think the insurance would be THAT much more expensive for an XR6 NA than an XT.

And if you are going to put an XR body kit on an XT, then basically you will have an XR wannabe but without the mechanical goodies that come with the real thing and all for not much less cost....

Just my opinion.

Jac

Old 15-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
The XR also has lower springs and different shocks and comes standard with 17 inch mag wheels.
Same suspension as an F6, mind you the XT IRS is nice.

Quote:
I dont think the insurance would be THAT much more expensive for an XR6 NA than an XT.
It is for under 25's, they're prices are a joke!

Quote:
And if you are going to put an XR body kit on an XT, then basically you will have an XR wannabe but without the mechanical goodies that come with the real thing and all for not much less cost....
Remember you also have to change the headlights as they're different and the exhaust will look stupid (but you'll fix that with an aftermarket setup.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #18
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Fill in the indent in the bootlit... I have seen it done, , looks very clean !

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The insurance different should be next to nothing, they both use the same engine. I insured a BA XR8 for $900 when I was 22, so insurance should be cheap anyway. Ring around and see.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #20
XR666T

Just Car Insurance.
Old 15-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #21
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Holy moley!!! I just tried CGU for a laugh as I insure through them and their prices were excellent, but I suspect they just like old farts like me. The quote I got from some guessed details suggests you should NOT ring em if you value your health

But yeah, I reckon you just have to find someone that doesnt distinguish at all or much anyway b/w the XT and XR6....they must be out there.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #22
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Fill in the indent in the bootlit... I have seen it done, , looks very clean !

AC/DC
Are you talking about removing the Ford badge or the XT badge???

You just get a new bootlid.

Old 15-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #23
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can pick up an XR6 for a steal. I personally dislike the look of the XT front bar and lights. I drove an XT work car not long ago and after driving my XR8 around the interior felt low rent, especially the guage cluster and crappy seats. In my mind there are a stack of reasons why the XR is worth that little bit extra.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #24
EL_futuraistic

1.) Forget AAMI for insurance...... they only give great deals to old farts driving camry's

2.) Go the XR6, more quipment, better looking, better resale

If you want the XR6, then you will never be happy with the XT. Furthermore any mods you plan to do , will be doubled if you get the XT as you will want to turn it into an XR6.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #25
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

AUIII xr6???, nah already suggested it to him :P
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #26
promina

just seems weird thinking about selling a car before you own it, you know ?
Old 15-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #27
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

****, that is expensive insurance. Sure they didn't quote you on an XR6T. I'm in my 20's and my BA XR8 was $1033 in the first year and $1000 now.

I just done an online quote with AAMI on an XR6 with my details and it came to $850.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #28
tim2x

one point left on your full licence? geez! lol. Hope you get em all back soon then.

Even with the more expensive insurance the xr6 looks like to be a better choice.

Does anyone here have a xr6 on there p's? and could fill me in on what you pay?

Cheer's mates
Old 15-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #29
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2x
hey guy's

i'd love to upgrade to either a XT OR XR within the next year.. but ill still be on my P's......but considering the price of the insurance for the XR6....the xt would be a better choice.....but considering that i do want rims/bodykit/lowering and what not for XT... in the end it might end up the same price even with the insurance..

What do you guys think?
Depends on how much you love your money, or where it could be better spent.

I personally own an XR6 Turbo and its lucky to be worth as much as $30K after 2.5 years now, probably less. I paid over $40K for it new. By the time I sell it next year it will be worth less than $25K.

I drive an XT sedan for work with body kit and 17" mags. It cost my boss $33K 2.5 years ago and is worth less than $15K today.

If you were going to waste your money on either cars then choose the XR for better resale, but higher up front cost.

Or better, choose a better car, that cost less and is worth more in 5 years than both of them put together like a Mazda 6 or a Subaru, or go forbid even a Toyota (like an old shape but near new SR5).

Food for thought. :
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 02:09 AM   #30
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

XR 1967 would be the best but i also like 1968 XT

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post