Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-08-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Default CRXs... holy damn!

Has anyone here ever been in a CRX before?

Two of my mates have them, both with the B16A engine (known as "the torqueless wonder"). One is basically stock apart from a cold air intake, insanely huge t/b (66mm!) & upgraded exhaust. He's putting all his money into the suspension currently. Anyhoo, I drove it (mostly sedately) last night and was amazed at its responsiveness. He's taken me for a spin in it previously, but when I drove it myself, I couldn't believe the performance these little things have.

Taking off in 1st it felt like it had some up 'n' go about it until around 4500rpm, then pulled like a train to ~9000rpm! I guess that's why the ricers all rave about how "the VTEC just kicked in yo!" Anyway, it wasn't just its responsiveness that impressed me, it was how happy it was lugging around in taller gears. For example, Whitehorse Road, 60k zone, travelling uphill in 5th barely touching the throttle, and it was doing it with ease. Certainly didn't feel like a 1.6L.

Now on to the other CRX. This one has a little more done to the engine department. It has a full exhaust system, with extractors suited to high revs rather than low-mid range,. It too has a cold air intake, 66mm t/b, and an upgraded intake manifold, plus an aftermarket ECU. This thing was a little animal! It was a little better than the first CRX in the high revs, but it felt like it had the same power down low... No noticable cam timing change in mid revs... And its clutch was so heavy it felt like the car wanted to break in two whenever he dumped it between gears.

I won't even begin to describe the handling of both...

Apart from the first CRX having ricer tail lights and a kanji symbol on the fuel flap, they're both devoid of bodykits, big rims, neons, and shopping lists. And both exhaust notes are great, they sound like rally cars! No 4" pipes or cannons here...

I took them for a spin in the EB, and although they thought it was OK (and probably had similar pace), it just felt like it was very lazy.

Anyway, the point to this thread... Who here has driven/been for a ride in a CRX? What were your experiences? What modifications were done to the car?

Finally, no, I'm not interested in getting one, but both examples far exceeded my expectations.

-Dave-

mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can make the VTEC even crazier. Get a VTEC controller and a bigger VTEC cam and you're good to go. CRXs are extremely light which also helps too. Honda is definately a brand that doesn't deserve the rep it usually has.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bloke in Vic has a EPA legal 400+kw at the wheels CRX. James I'm pretty sure the owners name is. I believe it holds the record for Australia's fastest street CRX. It either runs low 11's or high 10's. The cars been in various car shows.

http://blkcrx.hondata.com.au/blkcrx/...o/DSC00860.jpg
http://blkcrx.hondata.com.au/blkcrx/...s/DSC02002.jpg
http://blkcrx.hondata.com.au/blkcrx/sti-tune-blkcrx.mpg

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 12:12 AM   #4
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Now THAT is a monster! FWD though, must be a handful, especially any corners in the wet :S
Old 13-08-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Now THAT is a monster! FWD though, must be a handful, especially any corners in the wet :S
I can tell you now that my car is a handlfull with about 89-95kw at the flywheel so I can bet 400kw would be more than a problem lol! Maybe that's why its running 10s-11s. I bet my left nut if it was RWD it would be faster than that.
Old 13-08-2006, 02:36 AM   #6
070mstg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I can tell you now that my car is a handlfull with about 89-95kw at the flywheel so I can bet 400kw would be more than a problem lol! Maybe that's why its running 10s-11s. I bet my left nut if it was RWD it would be faster than that.
yes but the old TX5s are renowned for torque steer, we were actually just talking the other day at work about how how damn hard they are to keep on the road powering around a corner.
anyone know what happened to that turbo swift GTi/cultus that used to pull serious quarter times years ago? the one the guy spent over 100K on

btw,drove a new EVO9 lancer this week,now that thing flew!
070mstg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 12:17 AM   #7
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I love the older model CRX's but the newer ones do nothing for me. The older shaped ones look way hotter.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 12:24 AM   #8
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

yeh, a few mates have them, they are so under estimated, and have great potential! especially when you get rid of all the weight, stiffen the suspension and make them breathe better!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 12:35 AM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
I love the older model CRX's but the newer ones do nothing for me. The older shaped ones look way hotter.
I'm the opposite. I quite like the newer models with targas!
Old 13-08-2006, 12:32 AM   #10
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

I love the older CRX's.. always been on my list of "at some point in my life i must own.." cars :P

They look awesome, as long as they're not molested by stupid bodykits etc..

NO:
http://hordeofwolves.free.fr/gal/mag...rx%20targa.JPG
http://tunning.webspace4free.biz/Hon...0(1)%20(1).jpg
http://autopixx.de/bilder/autopixx-de-1118770694-78.jpg

YES:
http://www.kris.1000lecie.pl/crxpics/016.JPG
http://www.hasport.com/News/Projects...crx%20full.gif

and.. WTF?
http://www.kris.1000lecie.pl/crxpics/crx%20(1).jpg
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 12:35 AM   #11
stevz
Banned

888nm of torque from a 4 cyl? Am I reading that correctly or what?
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 12:56 AM   #12
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz

888nm of torque from a 4 cyl? Am I reading that correctly or what?
It is force fed remember ;)

http://www.kris.1000lecie.pl/crxpics/016.JPG <-- very similar to both of my mates' CRXs! Class, not rice.
Old 13-08-2006, 01:09 AM   #13
Muscle_Inc
GT= The Gamble,The Legend

When my mate used to own a Integra Type R with the Vtec motor ill never forget how these things would scream thru the rev range! 1st and 2nd gear would pin you right back in your seat while slightly wheel spinning and with 3rd just making a tyre squeak i think from memory.

A very potent little package and a car which i have respect for but just a shame it was front wheel drive.
Muscle_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 01:15 AM   #14
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 03:06 AM   #15
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
Jeez...most milo tin exhausts arent that big!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 03:15 AM   #16
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
well it is a good fun pic, but if some one said to me i need you to bend over , drop yout treads so i can shove a big plastic cone up you a$$ so i can take a pic ?
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 06:42 AM   #17
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
well it is a good fun pic, but if some one said to me i need you to bend over , drop yout treads so i can shove a big plastic cone up you a$$ so i can take a pic ?
you just became my quote LOL!!!
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 01:23 AM   #18
xr6 ausome
Low au

I used to have a et turbo 1.5 ltr that ran a 1/4 in 13.2 now there running 11sec I killed CRX

have a look http://www.n12turbo.com/index.html

Only reason I got rid of it is that Im a family man now and needed some more room that and the fact I love my xr
Old 13-08-2006, 02:07 AM   #19
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice little cars the CRXs with all the wiz bang vtec business. I personally love the AE82 twin cam corolla - nice and responsive but only when its carrying the right revs. Down low its pretty rough (and has no torque) but when the manifold opens up at 4,000rpm its becomes silky smooth and hammers all the way out to 8,000rpm. Fun little cars to drive as they're very small and very light. Was going to do a 20v conversion on our shopping trolley AE82 CSX but decided i cbf..
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 02:13 AM   #20
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I've read that the 16Vs with the small ports still perform better than the 20Vs, due to there being more meat to trim away/stuffing larger valves in the available space, so to speak. Then again, this is only what I've read, and I'm not knowledgable on the AE engines. Their variable intakes are pretty hobo though!
Old 13-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #21
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
I've read that the 16Vs with the small ports still perform better than the 20Vs, due to there being more meat to trim away/stuffing larger valves in the available space, so to speak. Then again, this is only what I've read, and I'm not knowledgable on the AE engines. Their variable intakes are pretty hobo though!
The 20v has 3 intake valves so it'll more than negate any benefit by fitting bigger valves in a 16v. Many people are throwing out their 4AGE twin cams and fitting the silver or black top 20v engines these days cause they're not only better but cheaper! Silver top engines with 60,000km (claimed) can be had for around $500 - peanuts. I got quoted $2,500 drive in/out to convert our csx.. 20v engine, manual box, new front suspension and bigger front brakes. Thats makes for a very cheap and very fast track car :

The variable manifold is very primative but keep in mind these things are 19 years old now!
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 11:26 AM   #22
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
The 20v has 3 intake valves so it'll more than negate any benefit by fitting bigger valves in a 16v. Many people are throwing out their 4AGE twin cams and fitting the silver or black top 20v engines these days cause they're not only better but cheaper! Silver top engines with 60,000km (claimed) can be had for around $500 - peanuts. I got quoted $2,500 drive in/out to convert our csx.. 20v engine, manual box, new front suspension and bigger front brakes. Thats makes for a very cheap and very fast track car :

The variable manifold is very primative but keep in mind these things are 19 years old now!
I suppose all your points above make the 20V make sense!
Old 13-08-2006, 08:57 AM   #23
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

i havent been in a crx but have been in an aus spec prelude vtir (the later shape with funny headlights) i think they have a h22a had cai extractors and exhaust but felt gutless.
revs felt empty and took way to long to get to vtec and when it did it wasnt worth the effort lol.why rev to 9k when you can have all your power at 6? much more convenient i reckon.

i think those preludes way a fair bit though thats why it felt gutless.
id own a old shape crx though

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #24
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

A crx would be the only little car id ever consider owning, they look good, and as you all no they are a litte weapon when the right engine mods are done.
Old 13-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
revs felt empty and took way to long to get to vtec and when it did it wasnt worth the effort lol.why rev to 9k when you can have all your power at 6? much more convenient i reckon.
Pretty sure it's about economy. When you don't wanna go fast you just cruise and use pretty much next to no power. When you want to go fast you stick the pedal to the floor.
Old 13-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #26
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
why rev to 9k when you can have all your power at 6? much more convenient i reckon.
Coz with the same torque you will make 50% more power at 9k than 6k
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #27
Walkinshaw
Two > One

A mate from uni has a CRX, very uninspiring. He occasionaly took 3 of us to uni (4 all up) and well, couldnt pull the skin off a pudding.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #28
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I know a guy with a turbocharged S2000.
Its a very fast car,runs something like 129 mph, revs forever.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #29
XRated
Shoot.

Are there any RWD Hondas (besides S2000)?

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Are there any RWD Hondas (besides S2000)?
The NSX. Other than that I have no idea.