Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Default Thoughts & experiences required!!

Hi everyone, just want to gather thoughts from other AU owners on what I think may be any underlining problem with my AU.

The bottom line is that I feel my AU isn't putting out less power than it should be. I've owned since 30000k's and it's now on 88000k's. I have driven 3/EF's and a S1 AU and they all seem to rev quite easily and have a fair bit of bite when you put your foot down.

My AU has always been stuck in grandpa mode for some reason, it runs fine, uses no fluids, very good fuel consumption, very smooth & doesn't miss or hesitate. However it has no bite, struggles to rev above the 3000rpm mark, & I haven't seen it go past 4 in either pwr/econ modes.

It's well serviced, has new leads/plugs/filters/oil etc. I've got a new fuel filter but haven't fitted it yet. It tends to behave the same with different brands/types of fuel. It's got a tickford snorkel which did not make a noticable difference. At one stage was fitted with a 2.5" system for a short period of time, but made no noticable difference either.

I'm going to test drive a few different AUII's to see if they behave the same, was just curious if anyone else thinks there may be an underlying issue. It just feels restricted.

Cheers,

Adrian.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Mine was exactly like this. After the edit, zorst and intake it seemed to pick up a bit and rev better and so on. I6 are slow lol
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
I6corp
Was V6corp

Mine revs pretty easily, though that increased a fair amount with the intake.

Does it struggle to rev, in neutral or just under load?
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
xr8man83
Grunt Files

one of my mates had a xls ute and it was a slouch my el at the time ate it for breakfast but at the same time another mate had a au forte and it had the same mods as my el had except he had a bigger throttle bodie put on and it use to smack the bajesus out of my el. I was once told though if you want a fast car start with a good platform so i did :dj:
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

It rev's fine in neutral, under load it's struggling

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Old 13-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could perhaps be your cat, or even your fuel filter, or maybe o2 sensor?

How did the cat look, when you were getting your exhaust done?
Old 13-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

From the outside it looks fine, no damage, but it is covered in the heat shield. Internally I don't know.

Will try the filter first, can't undo the bugger at one end so i'll have to get someone to do it for me.

Oh and spark plugs are grey on all cylinders so the burn appears to be good

Old 13-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

reset the ecu?

get a tune?
Old 13-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

It is the same as my AU. The power felt depressing compared to my eb falcon wagon.Thas why I modded the puppy. Our number one enemy is the eecv with less control over tuning. At least the eb had a distributor . The AU to me standard felt like a snail with a big shell and it is a heavy car..

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

There may be something blocking the air, such as a dirty airfilter or a small bird lodged in your snorkle.
Old 13-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #11
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

seems a common problem my old mans au1 wagon was the same even in manual mode 3000rpm was a big struggle and 4000rpm sounded like it was going to explode. i would say its something to do with the factory tune

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #12
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

some are just better than others.. it is how they were run in.. i wouldn't look at spending big dollars on something that might only bring it up to a nice factory car

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #13
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

put it on a dyno or run it on the track to get some real idea on what its doing now.

Feelings are a bit vague and can be deceiving.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #14
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

mine revs awesomely fluidly....but it is dedicated LPG. and it is completely stock no filter no larger intake nothing. would be intresting to see it at dyno day atcually.
Old 14-11-2006, 01:54 AM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Get it on a dyno, and see what the AFRs are like. I reckon they'll be rich as all buggery at low revs, and leaning out at high revs, meaning fuel starvation at the upper end of the tacho. Either replace the tacho (j/k), or find the source of the problem and get it foixed. Could be fuel pump, fuel filter clogged, or even obscure things like MAP sensor and/or O2 sensor. The dyno will help to pinpoint the problem, if the dyno dude knows what he's doing.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 11:00 AM   #16
janek
Ripping it up

check the MAP sensors mate... you'll be amazed

I had the same issue.. did everyuthing. changed fuel filters, oil viscosities, o2 sensor, resetting ECU, Plugs, leads EVERYTHING..

Changed the MAP sensor, and hey presto..

i ran a 16.3 witha rooted MAP.

changed the MAP, i think it was a 15.4...
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #17
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Lots of different feed back here.....very good much appreciated everyone.

Things to do;

-Change fuel filter.......Air filter is new
-Reset ECU
-Check Map Sensor .............Is there a method to checking this???......I'll check my gregorys book.

Old 14-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #18
janek
Ripping it up

Honestly, i just recommend replace the MAP... Its like $100 from FORD. If it feels like its drowning, i really think that will be the problem
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #19
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

get it on a dyno should cost less than $100 for a real view on the power and air fuel ratios.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #20
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

So any recomendations where to get it on a dyno.....Autotech????

Old 15-11-2006, 12:20 AM   #21
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I use Autotech or Croydon Racing developments in Silverwater.At least youll have some of our cars to compare to.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 02:06 AM   #22
slow
Starter Motor

I've had the same problem with my AU forte. It would only rev up to 3000 rpm, and even doing highway speeds it wouldnt shift into 4th.

I changed this thing thats connected to the throttle body. From memory i think its called the throttle postion sensor.

Just make sure that when u turn it, that it turns back to its original position.
slow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 02:11 AM   #23
slow
Starter Motor

The thing I am talking about is in the second pic of step 4
in:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=43

Its located in this pic below where the ISC valve sits and you can remove it using a phillips head screw driver.
slow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 11:09 AM   #24
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Ok......this weekend the fuel filter is getting replaced, bloody screw fittings are seized and I can't get it off. I'll try the ecu reset as well.

I have spoken to Spiro at AutoTech and if there is no change he's going to look at it and may be able to diagnose it without the dyno.

Will keep you guys posted. Thanks again everyone.

Cheers,

Adrian.

Old 16-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #25
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Or you could speak with Joe at Crescent Motors in Liverpool as well ... has a dyon there.

You know what might be good for your car though ... especially if it just does around town running ... hit the open road ... and go through a couple of tanks of petrol on the freeway ... it'll need a good run to open it back up again. I find this helps quite a bit. After a country run, my ute feels a lot better.

Tell you what though ... extractors made a big difference in the mid-range ... especially when it comes to overtaking and merging on the freeway ... was surprised. But it now goes well with my exhaust ... I know you didn't like the loud exhaust route ... so I suggest give it a good service ... and hit the open road a bit.

Some vehicles seem to go better than others ... it does come down to the run-in process as well. But Orbit's ute runs well due to the driving he does ... and I presume it's quite a bit of highway work too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #26
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Thanks simon. The AU is fully serviced except for the fuel filter, as far as i'm aware there are no tuning methods (maintainence wise, not performance enhancement) on these cars except for replacement of the plugs/leads etc. It's only driven on weekends, so it never does the stop start driving, weekend drives are all open road for at least 1 hour and uses 95ron unleaded mostly.

I just think it's not cutting the mustard like it should. At the end of the day it may just be me but i'd rather get everthing checked and make sure all components are performing as they should.

Honestly the car feels like it's always towing a trailer. The car has always felt sedated since I bought it four years ago.

Old 16-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I know the sedate feeling ... but i am running LPG though ... LOL

Looking at sorting that out soon though ... but I know it's not a powerhouse. It does feel a little strangled up top though. I rarely rev the ute out as I know there's no use anyway. I'll be looking at beefing up the bottom-end so there is not much of a need to rev it hard to get anywhere.

Oh ... did you still want those dust covers for the trailer ... I found them in the garage
Old 16-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #28
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Yes please Cheers

Old 16-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #29
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I'll try and get them to you sometime.
Old 18-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #30
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem appears to be solved. Took it for a spin this morning and it was still struggling to get to 3000 rpm. Had the fuel filter replaced and now it's getting to 3000 rpm with ease.

It's still not getting towards 4-4500 rpm but it's an auto. Generally a great improvement and it doesn't sound like it wants to implode above 2500 rpm anymore.

So it looks like it was suffering from a little fuel starvation. Feels like a 4lt again.

Thankyou to everyone for your help & advice, is greatly appreciated.

Now to fix the rattling heat shield on the cat convertor.

Cheers,

Adrian.