Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-01-2007, 01:30 AM   #1
DavesXr8

Default Auto Shift Kits

Hi guys

Have a AUII 200kw XR8 auto and looking at changing the diff ratios which will throw out the shift points not sure how much by but was loking into changing shift point anyway.

Has anyone fitted 1 of these shift kits to there auto and how do they perform?

http://www.shiftkits.com.au/

Was looking at the adjustable 1 so icould fine tune it after the ratio change and use it before the change .

Thanks

Dave

DavesXr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2007, 01:41 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Those shift kits only change the speed/harshness of the shifts; they do not and cannot change the shift points. Only the flash tuner/edit can do that - around $1500 for a flash tune box and custom tunes, but well worth it.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2007, 01:45 AM   #3
DavesXr8

Wow Thanks for the quick reply.

Looks like the 3.9s will go in then wait a while and get the $ then edit.

Do you know if the edit on the AUII can correct the speedo? I know it can on the BAs not sure with AUs geting diff oppinions.

Cheers

Dave
DavesXr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2007, 01:56 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesXr8
Wow Thanks for the quick reply.

Looks like the 3.9s will go in then wait a while and get the $ then edit.

Do you know if the edit on the AUII can correct the speedo? I know it can on the BAs not sure with AUs geting diff oppinions.

Cheers

Dave
Best bet is to talk to the guru AU tuner - Chris from bluepower (site sponsor - click on the banner up the top of the page). Or G&D - both know the AUs tuning ability well. Having watched Chris do his stuff for a day, I know the edit can defintiely do shift points, shift firmness etc, and don't see why it wouldn't correct speedo as well.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

It cant correct the speedo in an AU. The ECU does not control that input.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesXr8
Have a AUII 200kw XR8 auto and looking at changing the diff ratios which will throw out the shift points not sure how much by but was loking into changing shift point anyway.
Changing the diff ratio does not effect the rpm where the shiftpoints occur.

Your speed will be out by about 13%, and your speed limiter will kick in early 13% earlier....approx 157kph.

I've got 3.9's in my AU1 XR8, and I fitted a black 23-tooth speedo gear. That made the speedo on the dash only 9% out (easier to correct on the fly than 13%), made my auto shift points 4% higher, and now the speed limiter comes in 9% early....approx 164kph

Adding a speedo corrector between the vehicle speed sensor and the dash will fix the speedo, and your speed limiter, but now your shift points will be 13% higher...and most likely at WOT you will hit the rev limiter before it shifts into the next gear....in this scenario, you need the edit to change the value for diff ratio in the EEC so that it is calculating the shift points properly again.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post