Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
HLC
Audi S3

Default T3 Silver Fascia + Speedo Correction

So i got my T3 silver cluster fascia in the mail today, and installed it. but i didnt realise that the T3 fascia reads to 240kph, and my Fairmont one only to 220.

now this puts my speedo ~10% out.

and apparently Jaycar Speedo Corrector (which i dont know how it works anyway) is NLA.

any ideas on how to correct it? cause i dont really want to be thinking about speedo correction when driving.

cheers
henri

Old 22-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
So i got my T3 silver cluster fascia in the mail today, and installed it. but i didnt realise that the T3 fascia reads to 240kph, and my Fairmont one only to 220.

now this puts my speedo ~10% out.

and apparently Jaycar Speedo Corrector (which i dont know how it works anyway) is NLA.

any ideas on how to correct it? cause i dont really want to be thinking about speedo correction when driving.

cheers
henri
You mean an XR8 cluster fascia. The T3s simply used what was available. I was going to mention this when you posted up that you bought it, but wasn't sure whether the Fairmont was a lower top indicated speed or not.

Anyway, you will need to send the whole cluster to VDO, and they can recalibrate it. sbutler knows how to get onto them, as he/i blew his cluster when he installed blue LEDS, or was it the red ones???
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
You mean an XR8 cluster fascia. The T3s simply used what was available. I was going to mention this when you posted up that you bought it, but wasn't sure whether the Fairmont was a lower top indicated speed or not.

Anyway, you will need to send the whole cluster to VDO, and they can recalibrate it. sbutler knows how to get onto them, as he/i blew his cluster when he installed blue LEDS, or was it the red ones???
awww man, that sounds hard. plus i need my car everyday. and i cant be driving around without a cluster =|

does anyone have a spare speedo corrector lying around?
Old 22-01-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

Henri from memory either VDO or someone similar, is located in padstow so might be worth a trip down

may be worth doing a few searches - there is definately someone in padstow

i installed an entire XR cluster into an AU1 futura a long time ago and someone mentioned them
FalKeen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

try these guys in Marrickville

http://www.airco.com.au/

VDO dealers
FalKeen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i did mine i had the same drama. i simple measured the difference in the speedo markings and set the speedo needle the right amount below zero. it doesnt look out of place and i dont really look at the speedo unless im driving.
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

Thanks Adam.

if i remember correctly, i think there is a speedo correction/diff place around the corner from me in st. marys... well about 10 minutes... i dont like to be associated with THAT side of the motorway :P so i'll cruise down there tomorrow. if no luck, ill get in contact with VDO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers
when i did mine i had the same drama. i simple measured the difference in the speedo markings and set the speedo needle the right amount below zero. it doesnt look out of place and i dont really look at the speedo unless im driving.
only problem is, that the speedo is a percentage out. not a fixed number of kph.

so my speedo will read 66 when im doing a real speed of 60, and 110 when i'm doing 100.
Old 22-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
Pursuit250
Neglecting the P250

Depending on the cost to get it corrected you might just have a good excuse to buy a GPS. Your correct speed will be indicated on this, and it will tell you how to get to where ever you want.

AUIII XR8 Pursuit 250
241 RWKW with Advance Headers, Twin 2.5" Exhaust, G&D CAI, Walbro Pump, Crow Cam, Custom Tune

Last edited by Pursuit250; 22-01-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Pursuit250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

yeah maybe. i dunno. im a fan of the old street directory... or just winging it hahaha
Old 22-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #10
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

You would need to slow the speedo down by 9% and a speedo corrector will do this!

They are still vail to order from USA website which I have seen posted up on this site.

But the auto will change up later at 10% higher revs than before probably a good thing.

And the speed warning will be 9% low ie set to 100k and you will be doing 109k when it goes off. Bit of a worry but only if you use it not the speedo.

And the L/100KM will be out 9% worse. well it looks bad but wont actually cost you money.

And the odometer will be 9% slow. This will help resale so who cares.

You can get two correctors which then fixes everything but the odometer!
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
You would need to slow the speedo down by 9% and a speedo corrector will do this!

They are still vail to order from USA website which I have seen posted up on this site.

But the auto will change up later at 10% higher revs than before probably a good thing.

And the speed warning will be 9% low ie set to 100k and you will be doing 109k when it goes off. Bit of a worry but only if you use it not the speedo.

And the L/100KM will be out 9% worse. well it looks bad but wont actually cost you money.

And the odometer will be 9% slow. This will help resale so who cares.

You can get two correctors which then fixes everything but the odometer!

whoa =|

there is a LOT more to this than i thought. =|

i thought just slowing the speedo down itself, whether its gearing or whatever wouldnt effect any of that stuff.

unless its only the speedo corrector that changes all that? hmmmmm
Old 22-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #12
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

I thought useless had a quick fix for this one.
Old 22-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
I thought useless had a quick fix for this one.
that only fixes it if the error is a FIXED amount of k's, not a percentage.
Old 22-01-2007, 09:43 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What about cutting your old speedo dial out of the old fascia and sticking over the top of the new one.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 22-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
What about cutting your old speedo dial out of the old fascia and sticking over the top of the new one.
yuck hahaha i only bought the t3 one cause its silver, has tickford wings, and lights up blue haha seemed the lazy (and easy) option to me :P

its ok, ill see the speedo calibration guys tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 22-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Good luck with it. Advice from Fordmods is:

Some Common misconceptions with the Ford Falcon series Clusters include
1. The Odometer Readings can be swapped, changed or kept. The Odometer Reading is held within the Instrument Cluster, not within the EEC-V Engine Management, nor does the Instrument Cluster have a Backup Memory, or a Tamper-proof mechanism to deter Odometer Fraud !

2. There is no Electrical, or Calibration Difference within the speedo sections of the cluster, in terms of different Factory fitted Diffs, wheel, and Tyre Ratios. Changing Clusters will not alter the Factory speedo readings.

3. It is not possible to use an XR Series II Face, on a Low or High Series Cluster ! This is due to the Maximum speed on the cluster face, which means that the speed increments are slightly compressed.
The XR Series Cluster circuit board takes this compression in consideration when moving the speedo needle, and as such, you would need to swap the complete cluster over to use the XR Face.

Old 22-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #17
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One or two stores around the country still show stock at last check with jaycar and also there are other more advanced units that have dual correction circuits you can program so diff swapping to and fro becomes a flick of the switch. they retail for around $200 mark or just under but come ready to go and no assembly required.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #18
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
3. It is not possible to use an XR Series II Face, on a Low or High Series Cluster ! This is due to the Maximum speed on the cluster face, which means that the speed increments are slightly compressed.
The XR Series Cluster circuit board takes this compression in consideration when moving the speedo needle, and as such, you would need to swap the complete cluster over to use the XR Face.
hmmmm ok.

the LCD on the XR face, does it have all the same features as that on the high series cluster? doors open, gear display etc?

and can you get the odo changed so i have a legit reading? is it just a plug n play swap?
Old 23-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #19
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
hmmmm ok.

the LCD on the XR face, does it have all the same features as that on the high series cluster? doors open, gear display etc?

and can you get the odo changed so i have a legit reading? is it just a plug n play swap?
All your questions are answered here:

http://fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=4

Old 23-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #20
HLC
Audi S3

thanks JC. looks like more money is to be spent if i want to keep this fascia.
Old 23-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #21
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

The mob that did my callibration is in Wickham [Newcastle] They callibratored all the gauges which are way out from factory, they can change the ODO but it costs a mottsa because you have to buy a ""memory something whatsit thinggy"", & it costs about $700 plus fitting!!
The rest was a dream. I think from memory a re callibration costs about $70...

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 01:29 AM   #22
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any picture of it HLC?

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #23
HLC
Audi S3

just pitcure everyone elses cluster/dash.... blue/black momo wheel, and the silver t3 fascia :P

when i get it fixed, ill take a picture. everytime i get behind the wheel i remember its out, and i get angry :

thanks for that sbutler!!!!
Old 24-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #24
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
that only fixes it if the error is a FIXED amount of k's, not a percentage.
Speedo correction does not give any more accuraacy than the tried and true useless method mate. They state that on their speedo corrector kits. For the simple removal of the dial from the speedo then placing it in the correct position it is accurate speedo correction to please.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #25
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Speedo correction does not give any more accuraacy than the tried and true useless method mate. They state that on their speedo corrector kits. For the simple removal of the dial from the speedo then placing it in the correct position it is accurate speedo correction to please.
that doesnt work Stav. My speedo is out by 5kph at 50... it reads 55 when i am travelling at 50. and out by 10 at 100. ie, it reads 110 when i am only going 100.
Old 24-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #26
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
that doesnt work Stav. My speedo is out by 5kph at 50... it reads 55 when i am travelling at 50. and out by 10 at 100. ie, it reads 110 when i am only going 100.
You need a police cluster so you can set the % diff that way.

Old 24-01-2007, 06:59 PM   #27
HLC
Audi S3

and they are nice and rare... if anyone finds one... let me know.
Old 24-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

I have one, and could swap, but then we'd just be swapping problems, I think.

Old 24-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #29
HLC
Audi S3

yeah :

i may just have to buy an XR cluster. which blows, and lose some of the high series functions.

or just sell the bloody fascia which i wanted so bad. hahaha
Old 24-01-2007, 10:19 PM   #30
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you sure you lose functions with the XR cluster? That document on fordmods only applies to series 1 cars, as I went through this when I tried (unsuccessfully) to put a Tickford cluster into my Fairmont. My understanding is that series 1 had Low(Forte etc), Medium (XR6/XR8) and High(Fairmont/Fairlane/TE/TS etc) series clusters. However, series 2 and 3 cars only had low and high series, and XR models got moved into the high series category as far as clusters go.
I may be wrong, but I doubt it ;)
Ask Janek, he's got (or had) a Tickford cluster in his 'mont I believe.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post