Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Best place to tie a car down on a car tralier

Next week im picking a car up and just wanted to no where is the best spot to tie a car down on the car tralier from under the car, cheers

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Tie down from the diff and front end. Make sure the rope goes round the tyres as well, just for insurance.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i will be getting much rope as i can get and go crazy with the front and back, do i tie off the axels as well on the diff?? and do i tie off the towing point on the front of the car as well

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on the trailer - sprung vs unsprung. Also depends on what tie down points are available on the trailer. I use the diff tied back to the rear of the trailer with the strongest strap wound around it a few times - i prefer to lose the car off the back of the trailer than come through my rear window if i crash.
I then tie the front cross member or chassis rails with shortened ratchet straps to the very front of the trailer near the tow hitch.

things to look out for - be very careful of tieing the body itself to the trailer. The car will bounce up and down and put huge stress on the ropes - either damaging the car or breaking the ropes. Also recheck your ropes after a few km. I prefer to use ratchet straps than ropes - they are easier to ensure they are on properly. Finally, don't worry about tieing the car side-to side. It will move front or rear, not to the side in most cases. If you ties it eveny front to rear, it should not move off to the side
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
i will be getting much rope as i can get and go crazy with the front and back, do i tie off the axels as well on the diff?? and do i tie off the towing point on the front of the car as well
What sort of car is it? I wound not tie an axle, and you may bend it out of round.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 01-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a ef futura, its about a 20 km trip, up couple of big hills down a few,

so i tie off all 4 wheels then from the diff and the front towing point

Old 01-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wound not worry about the wheels too much. There is a particular truckies technique to get the rope to stay on them, but i found it easier just to go off the diff - the tubes off either side, not the actual centre.
At the front, thread the rope up and over the cross member if you can get in there. They are the strongest point to attach the ropes to
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 01-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #8
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Law requires the car not being held in place with winch.Winch is to load the vehicle and not secure it in place.

All 4 tyres must me strapped down,front and back straps are optional but I would deem them mandatory,again law.

Last year at Autofest the cops used this to either fine you or if you had spare tying down ropes/straps you were alowed to carry on with a warning that will become active if another caution is given within 3 years.Everyone got the same spewl that was pulled over.Being in Murray Bridge their was no shortage to help people out and get their cars strapped.Thats how well behaved we were for the weekend,thats all they had to get us on.

Again,sounds overkill(not to me anymore)but thats the things we have to do to use our public roads.

Certain car trailers make this procedure hard to put to affect,yet they hire them out.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im hopeing the tralier i hire has straps with it other wise rope crazy time

Old 01-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
wizardy
fairmont xb hardtop

my old single axel car trailer has wedges and pins to encase the front of the steer tyres.
but its gatering weeds atm cuz you can't register a single axel car trailer in nsw now
so i have to rebuild the old girl.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should the trailer from the servos come with straps or ties downs???

Old 01-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
wizardy
fairmont xb hardtop

most dont.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #13
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

like others have said depending on the trailer..tie so the car can't move forward or backwards. We usually tie around the wheels to. Becomes super secure

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #14
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if youre hiring a servo trailer, have a VERY GOOD look at the chassis, the last two i have gone to hire have had fatigue cracks in the drawbar! recipe for disaster

a mate also hired one that only had 2 of 4 bolts bolting the coupling to the drawbar...those 2 lasted about 150kms then the car/trailer passed him on the western ring road and smashed into a fence....

the maintenance on some of the servo hire stuff is pathetic, so do yourself a favour and have a good looksie
Old 02-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its only 20km a towie would probably do it for less than $100 cash. (I paid $70 a few months ago for a similar distance)
For only a short distance it isnt worth the trouble and risk. Towie would take no more than 30mins to do it, doing it yourself with a hire trailer would probably be three to four times that.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 12:59 AM   #16
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

martin has a good point about getting a towie - where abouts is the car located?
tickford2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 01:13 AM   #17
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

When I tie down on my car trailer, I'm fortunate enough to have 2 wheel well holes to drop the car wheels into. I have the electric trailer winch holding the car at the front. I then run a rope from side to side in front of the wheels and then the back of them.

With the rears, I do the same. Tie in front of the wheels and the back. I also have a chain round the diff, into a gap at the rear of the trailer with a box tube welded in place with a large H/T nut and bolt holding the chain in place. I heard in S.A, all cars must be chained down, hence why I have this chain fixed this way

I have had the locals tail me, with a car tied down this way, without being pulled over for it. The last car I towed tied like this, was for 700K and the car made it back safe and sound. The car weighted about 2 1/2 tonne as well.

Good luck with it all
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 01:13 AM   #18
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford2001
if youre hiring a servo trailer, have a VERY GOOD look at the chassis, the last two i have gone to hire have had fatigue cracks in the drawbar! recipe for disaster

a mate also hired one that only had 2 of 4 bolts bolting the coupling to the drawbar...those 2 lasted about 150kms then the car/trailer passed him on the western ring road and smashed into a fence....

the maintenance on some of the servo hire stuff is pathetic, so do yourself a favour and have a good looksie
I remember one customer where I work didn't even make it off the site before the coupling came loose off the towball and made a nice little dint in their tailgate.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #19
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

actually thats a good idea hiring a tow truck, saves the risk of using my car.

do they charge when they pick the car up and then drop it off or do they charge from the depo, to the car then to the destination

Old 02-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #20
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

get them to quote you before you book them, just say "i need to get a car from A to B tomorrow arvo, how much would i be looking at" or something like that

cash usually talks too

where abouts are you located, might be able to recommend someone
tickford2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #21
torbirdie

Depending on distance, Id recommend a flat top towie too. There's lots of people that do it, perhaps try the outfits that pickup wrecks for nothing, they're are usually more "backyard" and much cheaper. I had a car transported 40km across Melbourne, cost me $90. Im guessing trailer hire would cost at least $60?

Another point to consider is that the tow hitch should be rated to at least 2.5 tonne if you are going to be hauling a large car on a big trailer, check that it is within what is prescribed for your car to tow as well.

Out of ignorance, Ive towed cars using a hitch that was only rated to 1200kg, with no problems, but if anything goes wrong, you wont have a leg to stand on.
torbirdie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #22
wizardy
fairmont xb hardtop

cash no recipts and they are realy helpful better if can talk to the driver he might do a foreign for you.

Last edited by wizardy; 02-10-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: cant spell
wizardy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
What sort of car is it? I wound not tie an axle, and you may bend it out of round.
He's using ropes and he's gunna bend an axle ? C'mon!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmore
Law requires the car not being held in place with winch.Winch is to load the vehicle and not secure it in place.

All 4 tyres must me strapped down,front and back straps are optional but I would deem them mandatory,again law.
This must be an SA law. No problem moving this 500kms (from Syd to Wagga on the Hume) with the handbrake on. Winch hooked up to stop any rearwards movement.One rope across the front, tied both sides and the same at the rear.

If your only going 20k's just plonk it on the trailer with the handbrake on and drive carefully.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #24
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

[QUOTE=GasOLane] He's using ropes and he's gunna bend an axle ? C'mon!!
This must be an SA law.

If your only going 20k's just plonk it on the trailer with the handbrake on and drive carefully.

What makes you say its only SA law?Please tell

Im going to assume you ment 20kp/hr and plonk it on,not 20kms distance.

That would also be an illegal load as what your carrying is well past the total weight of vehicle mass(tow car)no matter what your towbar is rated too.

If all these things Ive said is wrong then we were all taken for a ride that weekend and I stand corrected.I would of thought these kinds of rules are implemented in all states.

Last edited by FreddyDUZ747; 02-10-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #25
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

everybody likely knows this, but its unsafe to tow more weight than the tow vehicle, so don't go towing that EF on a trailer weighing a good 500kgs plus with a VK.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
What makes you say its only SA law?Please tell
Never heard of such a law here (NSW) did the Police handing out the warnings/fines actually quote you a road rule or rule number. Or did they just say 'It's Illegal' ?
Quote:
Im going to assume you ment 20kp/hr and plonk it on,not 20kms distance.
Nope. 20 kilometers in distance.

Quote:
That would also be an illegal load as what your carrying is well past the total weight of vehicle mass(tow car)no matter what your towbar is rated too.
294–2 NSW rule: towing by vehicles under 4.5 tonnes

(cf RRR, cl 49)
(1) A driver must not drive a motor vehicle (the towing vehicle) that has a motor vehicle, trailer or other vehicle attached to it for the purpose of being towed (the towed vehicle), if the laden weight of the towed vehicle exceeds:
(a) the capacity of the towing attachment fitted to the towing vehicle, or
(b) the maximum laden weight for the towed vehicle.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

Note. Motor vehicle, towing attachment and trailer are defined in the Dictionary, and vehicle is defined in rule 15.
(2) For the purposes of subrule (1), the maximum laden weight for a towed vehicle is:
(a) the maximum laden weight for a towed vehicle that the manufacturer of the towing vehicle has specified in respect of the towing vehicle, or
(b) if the manufacturer of the towing vehicle has not specified such a maximum, the manufacturer cannot be identified or the towing vehicle has been modified to the extent that the manufacturer’s specification is no longer appropriate:
(i) one and a half times the unladen weight of the towing vehicle if the towed vehicle is fitted with a braking system that is working properly

Quote:
If all these things Ive said is wrong then we were all taken for a ride that weekend and I stand corrected.I would of thought these kinds of rules are implemented in all states.
Road rules differ greatly between states, trust me on this. I've been driving between them (the states and the rules) for a long time.

My Barge towed the Little Red German Taxi from Manly (a Nthn Syd suburb) through the metro area, then 430kms along the Hume Hwy to Wagga. At least 4 GD police cars and 3 HP cars had the opportunity to question me. None did, and mr plod on the Hume around Goulburn are not known to be kind.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #27
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

...double post...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4

Last edited by ebxr8240; 02-10-2009 at 10:46 PM.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #28
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ba xr6t
everybody likely knows this, but its unsafe to tow more weight than the tow vehicle, so don't go towing that EF on a trailer weighing a good 500 kgs plus with a VK.

NOT quite true .. A trailer is around 650 kg.. Thats means an EF [1600kg]
can't tow an EF.. If trailer has brakes ?? Which most do, the ratio is higher..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #29
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GasOlane is right,different states different rules.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #30
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

They had road scales their and I was issued with a warning and paperwork was issued(blue slip).

Was all above board by what they said,I used a VX(cough,cough)5.7 wagon and was told to find something more suitable next year,the reason for my earlier quote.Thinking about it now if id had an accident on way home it would of been the officers fault as he let me go with that car I was towing with.

I think discression plays a big role in being pulled over.State wide laws FTW.

Gee,that took a while,had a few longnecks tonight and needed to spell check my stuff badly.20 mins to post this :togo:

I apoligise if I came across blunt,jumped the gun it seems.