Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Default Newsflash: Front Wheel Drive is rubbish!

Lo all

I keep hearing things about Front Wheel Drive cars and how they are more fuel and space efficient and so on and so forth. Everyone who builds them (pretty much every car maker nowadays - even Ford has the godawful Taurus) seems to quietly omit the fact that Front Wheel Drive is dynamically unstable for anything larger or heavier than a Corolla, and borderline dangerous for a large car like a Magna.

I had a think about it, and I reckon I've figured it out. Why doesn't someone build a car where the FWD drivetrain is in the boot, powering the rear wheels, and the front of the car would be the cargo space? Think Toyota MR2. Or Lotus Evora. Still just as efficient and cheap and practical, but more stable.

It could even be called 'sporty' as technically the engine would be in the middle, as a FWD engine sits forward of the driven axle.

4 doors, mid mounted V6, rear wheel drive, no loss of cabin space or cargo space, or economy.

Who wouldn't be tempted by that?

Am I the only one that thinks this is a good idea?

If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.