Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Little bit of Ford history.

Here's an interesting little bit of Ford history I thought people might like to see.

Setting the scene first: back in the mid-1990's, my brother in law and I went to a farmers property which was loaded with old cars over about five acres. My bro-in-law was picking up a 1937 Ford ute, and I had my eye on a 1938 DeSoto...for $50! Anyway, while walking down the back, I saw two old white Falcons sitting side by side. They were both XK models, very straight, pretty much rust free, white with red interiors (which were in excellent condition and included rear venetians), and all chrome very good including un-dented hubcaps and trim rings. I guess a weekends work would have got them both on the road again. The guy had picked them up off a neighbouring farm a year or two earlier, and wanted to get rid of them as well.
I looked under the bonnet and saw the little metal plate (it's about 40mm wide by 80mm high) shown here spot welded to the side of the engine block, and prised it off to keep it.

Why did I do that, you ask?

Because both cars were going to the dump to be pushed over the edge into the scrapheap..."You can have them both for free if you want to take them away", he said.
But, blinded by the big old DeSoto, I said no...

...utter, utter, tool...

2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post