Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
LukeyST
ST fan

Default QUICK QUESTION, lower ball joints in AU, DIY?

G'day,

Quick one, has anyone here done the lower ball joints in their AU themselves? How much is their to it? Does the lower A-arm have to come out?

Had a dry squeak coming from the front left for a few weeks, thought it was the shock but took it to mechanic yesterday who by ear guessed ball joints. Suggested i jack it up and lifted under the wheel too check play in the ball joint. This evening i did just that and its definitely the lower ball joint, had about 3-4mm vertical play

The mechanic said you need a special tool to get them out, and would be about 150 in parts (not sure if that was both sides) plus an hours labour per side.

I will go back and talk to them again in the morning, but im not sure when they could do it, I assume its pretty dangerous as is and want it fixed asap. To get it done sooner and save on labour i'd prefer to do it myself, but not sure if its possible (might be able to rig up my own 'special tool'). I have access to a press and all the usual tools, in terms of personal ability ive done a fair bit of mechanical work myself including the notorious rear hubs in the IRS AU's.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Luke