Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
fordAU

Default AU 220 XR8 - Finally

Hi all,
Been lurking on the board for a while since deciding to buy an AU XR8.

After 10years of enjoying my manual EF XR6 I originally thought of trading in for a BA XR6, after test driving a few, both manual and auto that was no option for me.

Don't mean to sound negative about the BA, it is a refined vehicle, good standard handling but no performance improvement over the EF, just felt like another car, could have been driving a Camry, at least the Tickfords of the past were fun.
In all fairness the EF was sitting on king superlows with 17's and the usual mods like pacemaker headers, exhaust, air induction etc.

The BA XR8 was out of my price range so I decided to look around for a AU XR8. Finally, after a couple of months looking bought a perfect example.

2002 model, 42k's, Blueprint unmarked condition, full leather and it was a manual.

All I can say is a huge improvement over the six, the performance of these things is very good, would absolutely flog the XR6, just love the "old" school character of these things, cam rocking at idle and the exhaust note is great.

No doubt about it, those 220's even stock are a real goer, never realised that until driving a couple.

Cheers, good forum btw.

fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Great to hear, Welcome, post up some pics when you can find the time.
Old 26-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
xd5.8l
Banned

Good stuff nice to see another content owner. That and great fuel economy could there be a more competent GT?
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you from brisbane? There was a blueprint AUIII XR8 sedan with black leather and manual at work (metro ford) that they sold last week.

Sounds like a nice car mate.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The AU XR8's are a fine vehicle, especially the 220, congrat's.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 11:07 PM   #6
sbcb
BA Xr8

Nice ride.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good Stuff man, get some pics up.. Any future mods on the cards????????
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
XT221
Blue Blooded

Welcome fordAU, You will enjoy the 220 as they are a great machine !!!
XT221 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #9
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

welcome, nice choice of ride you"ve chosen wiseley : now lets go modden to show them i6 boys "WINDSOR POWER" :Reverend: :Reverend:
enjoy it they"re a great car.. post up your location if its down sth we mite catch up for a cruise with the rest of our group sometime...... :eclipsee_ :eclipsee_

Cheers Whoosha.....

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah the 220 are awsome just bought a s3 auto and in the process of fitting the s/charger off my 200 kw manual ute expecting heaps over the ute .a man ute with 239rwkw was fun but to hard to get quick acc just wanted to spin up to 3rd
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #11
fordAU

Thanks for the welcome and nice comments guys, its good to be back in an 8 again.

As much as I enjoyed the XR6 the 8's take it to another level, a very different vehicle.

At this stage I will leave it stock, havent we all said that. The only thing to change short term is the exhaust, if anyone can recommend a decent place in Brisbane please let me know.

Cheers.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 02:35 PM   #12
jspec_sti

great choice of vehicle. AU XR's look great in Blueprint, though Narooma Blue is better
jspec_sti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2006, 04:29 AM   #13
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordAU
Hi all,
Been lurking on the board for a while since deciding to buy an AU XR8.

After 10years of enjoying my manual EF XR6 I originally thought of trading in for a BA XR6, after test driving a few, both manual and auto that was no option for me.

Don't mean to sound negative about the BA, it is a refined vehicle, good standard handling but no performance improvement over the EF, just felt like another car, could have been driving a Camry, at least the Tickfords of the past were fun.
In all fairness the EF was sitting on king superlows with 17's and the usual mods like pacemaker headers, exhaust, air induction etc.

The BA XR8 was out of my price range so I decided to look around for a AU XR8. Finally, after a couple of months looking bought a perfect example.

2002 model, 42k's, Blueprint unmarked condition, full leather and it was a manual.

All I can say is a huge improvement over the six, the performance of these things is very good, would absolutely flog the XR6, just love the "old" school character of these things, cam rocking at idle and the exhaust note is great.

No doubt about it, those 220's even stock are a real goer, never realised that until driving a couple.

Cheers, good forum btw.
Gota love the Au 220kw's & a manual to boot!! Good luck my friend although I have a six there is no substitute for cubic inches & the the sound of a 220kw AU v8! sensational