Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-07-2024, 11:56 AM   #1771
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
Hi Guys,
to those guys that were on here when i talked about my wife suffering from Anxiety due to her weight.
She started to lose weight a year ago and is still going strong. I brought her an exercise Bike to start with and she rode it for 15 minutes twice a day.

she dropped 20kilos doing that but the bike started to hurt he knees. Now she goes for a walk with me in the morning and when i cant make it she goes by her self.

At the moment shes lost 30kilos in weight, had to take some of her old dress in so they fit her. iam very proud of her its very hard to lose weight when your in your 60s but shes still going strong.

thanks guys for your support.
Amazing achievement.

To reduce the pressure on her knees with the exercise bike. She needs to set the saddle up higher so that her quads are more engaged to take the down force pressure rather than relying on her knees. Try it. Get her to try a few different heights so that she no longer feels it in her knees but all in her quads. It will make a difference.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2024, 01:55 PM   #1772
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Amazing achievement.

To reduce the pressure on her knees with the exercise bike. She needs to set the saddle up higher so that her quads are more engaged to take the down force pressure rather than relying on her knees. Try it. Get her to try a few different heights so that she no longer feels it in her knees but all in her quads. It will make a difference.
It used to be recommended that you set up the height of the seat such that your leg was just not quite fully extended when the pedal was at the lowest point. Is that still the technique used?

Might help MMG out to set the bike up properly if he's not aware of it?

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-07-2024, 07:46 PM   #1773
mondeomatureguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Guys,
i want too thank FTE 217 and all the other guys for their support and kind words.
I dont want you all to get the wrong idea that my wife stayed at home all day long and stuffed her face full of food.

she suffers from Epilepsy from the age of 15 years old but hasnt had a seizure since she was 23 years old. The mediation she takes makes it hard to loose weight also.

So as her anxiety got worse and she gained more weight i came up with an 'idea. As they say ' you have to be cruel to be kind". I came home and said "i dont want to come home and find you on the carpet suffering a heat attack.

A few weeks later she went shopping at Aldi and brought an exercise Bike and i put it togeather.

when it was stuff i had this forum to get ideas, support and blow off some steam so thank you so much all of you.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2024, 09:03 PM   #1774
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
It used to be recommended that you set up the height of the seat such that your leg was just not quite fully extended when the pedal was at the lowest point. Is that still the technique used?

Might help MMG out to set the bike up properly if he's not aware of it?
Have a look at this video. Its a bit long winded but should give you and MMG an informed insight to set up the saddle height of a stationary bike.

https://youtu.be/csNeUKYBW0E?si=HYBOOh-Ne-sV_hX4

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-07-2024, 09:10 PM   #1775
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Still taking my quarter of a tablet of Paroxetine on most days.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2024, 09:23 PM   #1776
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Hi Guys,
i want too thank FTE 217 and all the other guys for their support and kind words.
I dont want you all to get the wrong idea that my wife stayed at home all day long and stuffed her face full of food.

she suffers from Epilepsy from the age of 15 years old but hasnt had a seizure since she was 23 years old. The mediation she takes makes it hard to loose weight also.

So as her anxiety got worse and she gained more weight i came up with an 'idea. As they say ' you have to be cruel to be kind". I came home and said "i dont want to come home and find you on the carpet suffering a heat attack.

A few weeks later she went shopping at Aldi and brought an exercise Bike and i put it togeather.

when it was stuff i had this forum to get ideas, support and blow off some steam so thank you so much all of you.
mate we all appreciate you putting laundry out there, thats brave in itself on your part and your a Legend of a hubby considering your wife's condition since 15.
Never entered my mind re qty of food might I add but now understand alot, damn drugs, help and consequences to pay.
Yep you got to be cruel to kind is an ol goodi, though some in todays world would suggest thats too hardline.
Point is when presented with care and luv it does wonders especilly when the person listens.
Bravo to both of you !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2024, 09:25 PM   #1777
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Still taking my quarter of a tablet of Paroxetine on most days.
Look after yourself as well Syndrome.
Enjoy the football its good medicine for I know your into it like myself.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2024, 01:19 PM   #1778
mondeomatureguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Guys,
I love driving so the Saturday just gone 13th/7 i got up at 5am and left Goulburn at 6am just myself and my camera. First stop Braidwood for a cup of tea and something to eat. Then onto Batemans Bay, then went to Narooma looking for whales didnt see any this time and i thought bugger it might as well go to Eden which i did.

I did ask my wife if she wanted to go when i woke up at 5am but she said it was too cold so i went by myself.
I came home via the Snowy Mountains Highway Via Cooma. Now on my travels it gave me plenty of time to think.

Theres plenty of people who suffer from Anxiety, my wifes one of them and plenty of famous people also so your not the only one. When i returned home my wife said " its good for you to have some time to your self and do the things you enjoy.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2024, 01:51 PM   #1779
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I love driving so the Saturday just gone 13th/7 i got up at 5am and left Goulburn at 6am just myself and my camera. First stop Braidwood for a cup of tea and something to eat. Then onto Batemans Bay, then went to Narooma looking for whales didnt see any this time and i thought bugger it might as well go to Eden which i did.

I did ask my wife if she wanted to go when i woke up at 5am but she said it was too cold so i went by myself.
I came home via the Snowy Mountains Highway Via Cooma. Now on my travels it gave me plenty of time to think.

Theres plenty of people who suffer from Anxiety, my wifes one of them and plenty of famous people also so your not the only one. When i returned home my wife said " its good for you to have some time to your self and do the things you enjoy.
Its the reason why I bought my XR Falcon. The mrs has zero interest in the car but realizes that when I go out for drives on the weekend in it, it gives me peace and its something I enjoy.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
3 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2024, 02:06 PM   #1780
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Its the reason why I bought my XR Falcon. The mrs has zero interest in the car but realizes that when I go out for drives on the weekend in it, it gives me peace and its something I enjoy.
Still doing your photography?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 14-07-2024, 02:27 PM   #1781
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Still doing your photography?
Partly. I mainly take photos of the car now. Unless there is a lightning storm then Im out. Instagram is not the place it once was so I have shut down my account there and I post landscape photos on Vero instead.

Photography is another great outlet. I find its peaceful and gives you the ability to think about nothing else than taking a great shot.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
3 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2024, 02:43 PM   #1782
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Partly. I mainly take photos of the car now. Unless there is a lightning storm then Im out. Instagram is not the place it once was so I have shut down my account there and I post landscape photos on Vero instead.

Photography is another great outlet. I find its peaceful and gives you the ability to think about nothing else than taking a great shot.

That's what prompted me to ask the question.
Glad to hear you're still out and about and that it's something you still find enjoyable, even if you're not doing as much as you once were.

I miss seeing your shots in here. You have a great eye and skill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2024, 03:43 PM   #1783
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
[/B]

That's what prompted me to ask the question.
Glad to hear you're still out and about and that it's something you still find enjoyable, even if you're not doing as much as you once were.

I miss seeing your shots in here. You have a great eye and skill
Appreciate the kind words mate. I will post up some more stuff on my photography thread when I get the chance.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2024, 04:29 PM   #1784
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
And I'm guessing you come home in a better mood, like you have fed your soul.

Quote:

And for me, its detailing, researching detailing, buying detailing supplies, writing about detailing..........................
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2024, 05:54 PM   #1785
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
And I'm guessing you come home in a better mood, like you have fed your soul.

And for me, its detailing, researching detailing, buying detailing supplies, writing about detailing..........................
Spot on. It felt like the money I put into the car and time I put in working during the week to support my hobbies is worth it.

Every guy needs something to do to help them feel accomplished or fulfilled outside of the regular duties of home/work. It doesnt have to be anything as big as what Im doing. It could be going for a bushwalk or riding a bike. You could have a small hobby in collecting things of interest or building an engine, geocaching, star gazing, photography, reading a book, etc. it doesn't have to be much. but it needs to be something you are happy to wake up each weekend or day and say, "Im looking forward to doing that".

PS - Congrats on 12000 posts.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
3 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2024, 06:07 PM   #1786
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Spot on. It felt like the money I put into the car and time I put in working during the week to support my hobbies is worth it.

Every guy needs something to do to help them feel accomplished or fulfilled outside of the regular duties of home/work. It doesnt have to be anything as big as what Im doing. It could be going for a bushwalk or riding a bike. You could have a small hobby in collecting things of interest or building an engine, geocaching, star gazing, photography, reading a book, etc. it doesn't have to be much. but it needs to be something you are happy to wake up each weekend or day and say, "Im looking forward to doing that".

PS - Congrats on 12000 posts.
12000 posts? Wow, I would have thought it would have been higher than that.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: