Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-09-2024, 04:34 PM   #91
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: Ford Ranger - milking the cow for every last drop..

and to keep it on track, check out this media release.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...dtrak-tak.html

Quote:
Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 07 June, 2023
The Next-Gen Ranger offers the choice of the proven Single-Turbo and the Bi-Turbo 2.0 inline four-cylinder diesels.

The Single Turbo brings 168HP (125 kW) at 3,500 rpm and 405 Nm from 1,750-2,500 rpm.

In addition, the Next-Gen Ranger will be available with the tried-and-tested 2.3-litre EcoBoost four-cylinder petrol engine that underpins a range of Ford global products and is a perfect choice for customers who prefer petrol propulsion. This engine makes 298HP (202 kW) at 5,900 rpm and 452Nm at 3,350 rpm.
that's a Euro5 market, so the powertrain you want already exists!
simon varley is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2024, 04:55 PM   #92
Hulsty

Its in the Amarok....
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-09-2024, 06:18 PM   #93
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty View Post
Its in the Amarok....
yes, but to be able to sell the Ranger it needs to be type approved in that body too. My point is, that all the engineering work has been done, so whether to bring an ecoboost Ranger to Australia is purely a marketing decision

so

I'm not holding my breath....
5 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2024, 06:48 PM   #94
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
One would think most fleet managers would be keen to reduce their emissions. A lot of companies and government organisations have to track and publish carbon emissions in their annual reports.

It follows then that a PHEV (with its 45 km city range) would tick quite a few boxes for organisations. I poverty pack PHEV is not out of the question. But it does all come down to supply chain availability and price.
Climate change and an organisation's effect on climate has been introduced as a mandatory requirement into ISO9001/14001/45001 as of June this year and it takes effect immediately.

Quote:
Climate change is no longer a distant concern relegated to environmentalists — it’s now a pressing issue for businesses across all industries. The conversation around greenhouse gases, business carbon footprints, global warming, and their impact on our planet has been ongoing for decades, involving various stakeholders, from governments to small businesses. The adverse effects of climate change are becoming increasingly evident, making it imperative for businesses to address these challenges.

Recognising the urgency of the climate crisis, ISO has recently introduced an amendment to various Management System Standards, including ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015, ISO 45001:2018, and ISO/IEC 27001:2022. This update requires organisations to consider Climate Change, and its effects and risks, related to the organisation and its management system. This move emphasises ISO’s commitment to combating climate change and alignment with global efforts to address environmental concerns.
So you now have to identify and put in risk management processes and procedures to comply with and maintain your certifications.

You have to have these certifications if you want to be able to tender for jobs from large businesses.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-09-2024 at 07:00 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2024, 07:27 PM   #95
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you know what per centage of corporates run ISO certification?
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2024, 08:06 PM   #96
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Do you know what per centage of corporates run ISO certification?
Significant amounts, it's pushed by corporates and governments, if you want to do their work then you need to maintain ISO9001/14001/45001.

It's not something overly common in small businesses, because it adds huge administrative costs but medium to large sized corporates have and expect it if you want to be on their supplier list.

Basically it makes no sense to the average Joe but it forces your hand
Old 02-09-2024, 08:08 PM   #97
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
yes, but to be able to sell the Ranger it needs to be type approved in that body too. My point is, that all the engineering work has been done, so whether to bring an ecoboost Ranger to Australia is purely a marketing decision

so

I'm not holding my breath....
Old 02-09-2024, 08:51 PM   #98
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe they could rediscover some classic BA/BF Falcon Colours to introduce to the range for limited runs.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2024, 09:17 PM   #99
Rastas

320kw/650nm BYD Shark confirmed at 68K for Australia

Lets see if that does something to Ranger pricing.
Rastas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2024, 09:22 PM   #100
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastas View Post

I’m tipping “nothing”.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2024, 09:51 PM   #101
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastas View Post

Very expensive for a Chinese Thailand Special, just like MG3 pricing these days.

Slowly creeping up
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2024, 11:02 AM   #102
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmm a hybrid with a 100km electric range. that's double Ranger hybrid. but only 2500kg towing doesn't match the 3500kg of Ranger PHEV
Old 03-09-2024, 06:09 PM   #103
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
mmm a hybrid with a 100km electric range. that's double Ranger hybrid. but only 2500kg towing doesn't match the 3500kg of Ranger PHEV
Indeed.
The Aussie market is oddly contrarian, people think
- higher prices for Ranger and Hilux would equal less sales
- more competition for Ranger and Hilux would equal less sales.

Thus far, time has shown that neither of those are true, people who buy their favourite brand
do so either out of utter loyalty or they like the types of vehicles and willingly pay those premiums.

If anything, the BYD Shark may end up killing the Kia Tasman before it gets a chance in our market.
Did anyone see the leaked promo wading test? run through a trough and the wheels weren’t even covered.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2024, 06:38 PM   #104
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Indeed.
The Aussie market is oddly contrarian, people think
- higher prices for Ranger and Hilux would equal less sales
- more competition for Ranger and Hilux would equal less sales.

Thus far, time has shown that neither of those are true, people who buy their favourite brand
do so either out of utter loyalty or they like the types of vehicles and willingly pay those premiums.

If anything, the BYD Shark may end up killing the Kia Tasman before it gets a chance in our market.
Did anyone see the leaked promo wading test? run through a trough and the wheels weren’t even covered.
Think brand loyalty went out of the window with the closure of local manufacturing, you would definitely shop around for the type of vehicle you desire, so much on offer, no doubt about it.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2024, 07:49 PM   #105
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Indeed.

Just watched it, I reckon I've had the RTV wagon deeper.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM   #106
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Think brand loyalty went out of the window with the closure of local manufacturing, you would definitely shop around for the type of vehicle you desire, so much on offer, no doubt about it.
But see, that logic is undone by the continuing high sales
of Hilux and Ranger, if shop around was really something
that those buyers did, then surely both the high prices and
sales volume would have declined by now….

Maybe some of us need to step out of what we would do and
realise that Ford is crying all the way to the bank thanks to
Ranger and Everest.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM   #107
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
I don't think its brand loyalty out the window but for a large % its known quantity.
How many amongst friends/bbq's would someone say buy the GWM dual cab compared to Toyota/Ford variants ?
How many know of Corolla/Camry Ford models of the past compared to chinese brands.
Sure price is the burley...but so much on offer dual cab wise ?
Navara been around for yonks and can't sell enough, Triton was a price fighter, has ups and downs but at least known brand.
My nephew got the top of line GWM ute, I was actually surprised how good its set up inside pretty plush actually.
Why haven't they sold near the numbers of Wildtrak/SR5 etcetc
Sure you shop around but how confident would you be for the general use of a dual cab and holiday travel intentions normally.
It seems not enough feel compelled to buy chinese dual cabs to date.
Branding branding.

Itsme, as far as I'm concerned Dual Cab high end pricing is a absolute rip believe me - good luck to them.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM   #108
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
I don't think its brand loyalty out the window but for a large % its known quantity.
How many amongst friends/bbq's would someone say buy the GWM dual cab compared to Toyota/Ford variants ?
How many know of Corolla/Camry Ford models of the past compared to chinese brands.
Sure price is the burley...but so much on offer dual cab wise ?
Navara been around for yonks and can't sell enough, Triton was a price fighter, has ups and downs but at least known brand.
My nephew got the top of line GWM ute, I was actually surprised how good its set up inside pretty plush actually.
Why haven't they sold near the numbers of Wildtrak/SR5 etcetc
Sure you shop around but how confident would you be for the general use of a dual cab and holiday travel intentions normally.
It seems not enough feel compelled to buy chinese dual cabs to date.
Branding branding.

Itsme, as far as I'm concerned Dual Cab high end pricing is a absolute rip believe me - good luck to them.
Sales figures will agree with you atm, but as you said, the Chinese ute impressed you. From my observation in the last 12 months many of these utes are starting to grow in numbers, will be interesting in the next few years as to how well they will become popular especially when Hybrids start knocking on the door, think the Chinese might embarrass Ford and others with their pricing.
Could be a game changer, especially with the higher costs of living that is hitting the economy.
Think about it.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 09:43 AM   #109
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
............... think the Chinese might embarrass Ford and others with their pricing.
Could be a game changer, especially with the higher costs of living that is hitting the economy.
Think about it.
I just did, and thought that if the 'Cost Of Living' is such a crisis, currently as reported daily in the media, why are people buying new utes as a recreational vehicle.
Back in the olden days, if you couldn't afford to buy a new or newish used car, that was it. You didn't.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 09:49 AM   #110
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I just did, and thought that if the 'Cost Of Living' is such a crisis, currently as reported daily in the media, why are people buying new utes as a recreational vehicle.
Back in the olden days, if you couldn't afford to buy a new or newish used car, that was it. You didn't.
Two speed economy, you've got people doing it tough and the others + government incentives in the form of rebates and tax cuts causing inflation, which the RBA responds by raising interest rates, even further hurting the first group which the government seems to respond by more 'cost of living' rebates prompting the RBA to respond again

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; Today at 09:54 AM.
Old Today, 10:33 AM   #111
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Sales figures will agree with you atm, but as you said, the Chinese ute impressed you. From my observation in the last 12 months many of these utes are starting to grow in numbers, will be interesting in the next few years as to how well they will become popular especially when Hybrids start knocking on the door, think the Chinese might embarrass Ford and others with their pricing.
Think about it.
Ira responded though may I add, sure the GWM impressed me interior wise And IMO thats not hard for I don't consider most dual cabs that great overall interior wise so not hard to up the anti for thats one of their areas to focus coming from a low base and their low build costs. (by the way imo 1st gen Amarok Highline was way nicer inside than both Hilux Ranger at the time)
The Chinese will embarrass every brand price wise always though doesn't mean that will win them higher market share against the usual well known suspects.
People learn very quick you get what you pay when forking out $50k up.
Might dip their toe in the water once most learn not again to date.
Think Bunnings, you learn soon enough 50% is cheap crap and you end up buying the better brands or go elsewhere.
Right now every single Chinese vehicle is a PIA sourcing parts/panels etc they will never have the distribution like Toyota Ford amongst others unless they spend a motza ahead.
Hybrids, yep that will grow AND Toyota will lead as they are followed by the main players incl euros.
Why haven't Triton Navara tradionally cheaper been higher volume sellers ?
Because the product isn't as good as the 2 main players and cost way more.

Chinese will gain the low lying fruit the way I see it and thats not the "volume".

Crying poor, we're a land of whingers, worse than the Poms of old yet people keep spending, each VFacts sales months have highs and lows the sky is falling decade upon decade.
Old Today, 12:44 PM   #112
prydey
Rob

Chinese options are mostly let down in the engine/driveline department.

They're generally around the 140kw/400-450nm range. They often just use the same engine they use in the SUV range, which is fine for family duties but lacks that extra bit for ute duties.

I know many will argue most utes don't get used for lugging loads around (because apparently you can tell by looking) but I feel the smaller engines do hold buyers back.
Old Today, 12:46 PM   #113
prydey
Rob

Deleted
Old Today, 01:58 PM   #114
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Chinese options are mostly let down in the engine/driveline department.
for sure, but just like the Japanese and Koreans before them, they are learning - fast! It wasn't long ago that nobody would touch the pos at any price, but now we've got people overlooking their faults, just because they are cheap. I'll give them 5 years before people start to look at them favorable on build, features and quality, and then maybe 10 years for people to consider them premium.
Old Today, 02:05 PM   #115
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yes simonv all takes time like the Japanese and Koreans.
Just don't know the chinese have the similar mindset, they want it now and hunger for the dollar exceeds the previous mentioned.
Sure they are learning fast, the amount of IP they have cohearsed for their plants far exceeded Jap/Korean patience.
Their trouble is in haste they deflect from their regular approved suppliers when in need due to insufficient supply or pumping out higher volume than been forecast.
Having dealed with them for 20+yrs this is one of their downfalls, cheating then it bites them in the butt.