Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-12-2008, 12:07 AM   #31
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
Whats the matter with under the limit driving? How far under are they driving?

5-10 ks under is nothing wrong with that with a limit of 60kph. 10-20kph at a limit of 100kph is OK.

The limit is a limit not the mandatory speed everyone has to travel at.
I beleive the police received complaints of anything as low as 60kph daily I dont think anyone would complain about 10kph under but it was a regular occurance for inept drivers to sit on 70kph or 80kph.

I had it happen to me at 3 in the morning I was on the motorway doing 100 another car went to merge so I let them in they then slowed to 70 in the 100 zone and then drove at this speed until we get to about 500metres away from the 80 zone where the motorway ends .She then throws a cigarette but out of the window and speeds updoing over the speed limit in the 80 zone.

20kph under is unacceptable in a100 zone when holding up a stream of traffic if people do 20kph underthey should pull over to let others pass who have vehicles that are capable or are themselves mentally capable of doing the speed limit
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #32
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
You must feel real special, you are definatly posting in the wrong forums, you should be on the "i drive slow and am a good sumaritan" forums, you will be the star there, they might even give you a gold star...

Baa
Thats funny, because every time one of the members here gets a speeding ticket, all the sudden its unfair and the police should be fighting criminals, not targeting motorists. All the sudden, all the people get on their high horses and a heated debate follows.

THEN you complain when the public sees the motoring enthusiasts as a bunch of hoons, with that attitude, maybe you cause your own problems?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #33
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ill do my own bragging... 16 yrs of driving, 2 speeding fines as a P plater in the first 2 years (minor), and nothing at all in 14 years, never caused an accident, though ive had 2 people run stop signs and run into me. I definatly drive my car... no problems here.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 12:26 AM   #34
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11
I beleive the police received complaints of anything as low as 60kph daily I dont think anyone would complain about 10kph under but it was a regular occurance for inept drivers to sit on 70kph or 80kph.

I had it happen to me at 3 in the morning I was on the motorway doing 100 another car went to merge so I let them in they then slowed to 70 in the 100 zone and then drove at this speed until we get to about 500metres away from the 80 zone where the motorway ends .She then throws a cigarette but out of the window and speeds updoing over the speed limit in the 80 zone.

20kph under is unacceptable in a100 zone when holding up a stream of traffic if people do 20kph underthey should pull over to let others pass who have vehicles that are capable or are themselves mentally capable of doing the speed limit

Your correct which is why we have the keep left rule. Going 20kph under is fine in a 100 zone but for god sake keep left for the others who want to go closer to the limit.

As for cigarette chucking well there is no excuse. Use the ashtray in the car or you should of opted for the smokers pack.
Old 15-12-2008, 01:30 AM   #35
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
You must feel real special, you are definatly posting in the wrong forums, you should be on the "i drive slow and am a good sumaritan" forums, you will be the star there, they might even give you a gold star...

Baa
hey man, slow driving is still technically driving!
and if you're in such a rush to get everywhere that someone doing 10 under gets to you... just learn how to use the overtaking lanes or the dotted line
the only driving trait that annoys me is inconsistent driving, i don't care if you drive slow, as long as you keep driving slow in the left lane so i can overtake you.
I don't care if you're a speeder and you have to overtake me, but just keep on speeding.
I can't stand when people change their act according to section of road; like slowing down needlessly for corners for example. Don't speed up in the overtaking sections and don't overtake and then slow down in front of someone.
The best description for this type of driving i think is 'courteous' a phrase found many times in the drivers handbook. its basically just considering other drivers, and how they would like to be treated on the road.
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #36
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Nah, I go toward the left of the road to let people overtake and go into those little lanes to let people overtake you all the time, majority of my driving is 100km/h zones. Why bother wasting fuel just to get somewhere faster? Just leave earlier, simple.
yeah it must be hard having your car with just your pocket money from mum and dad,
but at least you show some sence in keeping to the left
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #37
shazaam

We seem to have this attitude of "the sign has a number on it so i must do it" these days, isn't it best to drive safely to the conditions?
shazaam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #38
Jim83
V8 Driver

Well seing as XXXX Gold is poofy "Mid strength" beer, he should be able to have 2 and still come in under 0.05.
Jim83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #39
Bobman
Regulator

Slow drivers are just as dangerous as the hoons.

I regularly come across those who drive 10-15km/h under the posted limit with their headlights on during a clear sky day and use indicators to approach and exit a roundabout oblivious to the long queue of traffic behind them.

I'd be a star cop if I had the power to pull over all the idiots I see day-to-day. I hardly see any police cars anyway.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #40
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim83
Well seing as XXXX Gold is poofy "Mid strength" beer, he should be able to have 2 and still come in under 0.05.
But to be drinking and driving at the exact same time?

Can you see the problem there?
Old 15-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #41
Marduk
BFII XR6

10km+ in perfect conditions is way to excessive I will admit, but please try and tell me driving 1-2km under the limit is going to ruin your life. It doesn't help when the those stupid car shows tell people that doing 80 in a 100 zone will save you on fuel and tyres.

So at what stage do we determine what is to slow? 5kms? 10kms? 20kms?
If you don't feel comfortable doing 100 in a 100 zone then use another road that has a speed limit you feel comfortable with.
Old 15-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #42
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Thats funny, because every time one of the members here gets a speeding ticket, all the sudden its unfair and the police should be fighting criminals, not targeting motorists. All the sudden, all the people get on their high horses and a heated debate follows.

THEN you complain when the public sees the motoring enthusiasts as a bunch of hoons, with that attitude, maybe you cause your own problems?

Maybe when you experience what life is about and that stubble of a goatee becomes a daily chore to shave, when the pimples turn into hemorrhoids and when the cost of living is not a tax increase of alcoholic pops, then we may take your posts seriously, but till then can you spare us from your adolescent hormones that are causing you to post useless dribble in every thread, its becoming worse every time I read it.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #43
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving under the limit IS dangerous. Unless its raining or hailing or the road gets twisty there is no excuse for 70 in a 100 or 40 in a 60. Expect me to fly past you with my hand on the horn and finger out the window. When I drive, I get to the limit and flick cruise control on exactly the speed limit or just under. IF I have to cut into very heavy traffic, I will take off quickly so as to avoid the other drivers having to slow right down, only for someone else 20m up the road cut in and take off at snail pace. As for Daymoe saying he drives 10-20km/h under the limit all the time for no reason, its people like you who cause accidents mate, those of us that have somewhere to be will get impatient waiting for you and try to get around when its probably not safe. As said, unless theres a reason I can see from my car for you going so slow, you will get road rage from me.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #44
Marduk
BFII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_eb_fairmont
When I drive, I get to the limit and flick cruise control on exactly the speed limit or just under. IF I have to cut into very heavy traffic, I will take off quickly so as to avoid the other drivers having to slow right down
I do both of these things as well. I use Cruise control pretty my 99% of the time it let's me concentrate on the road instead of worrying whether i'm going to be caught for doing 3km over the limit. If I pull out onto a road and there are cars approaching from behind I always plant it and get up to the speed asap to avoid them having to brake.
Old 15-12-2008, 08:35 PM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Slow drivers are just as dangerous as the hoons.

I regularly come across those who drive 10-15km/h under the posted limit with their headlights on during a clear sky day and use indicators to approach and exit a roundabout oblivious to the long queue of traffic behind them.
Nothing wrong with the headlights on, people dont pay attention when they drive and Volvo have shown that its safer to drive with your light on during the day.
Old 15-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #46
IDT
Marko

Quote:

5-10 ks under is nothing wrong with that with a limit of 60kph. 10-20kph at a limit of 100kph is OK.

Why not just do the limit?
Old 15-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #47
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
Why not just do the limit?
Because they are doing the right thing as car enthusiasts, so no one can say that they are hoons, no one can blame them as they drive slower so itll be everyone elses fault... :

As bobman said "Slow drivers are just as dangerous as the hoons"

The majority of drivers drive at the limit or around the limit, then you have minorities who drive much slower or much faster, they create kaos out there for the majority of drivers, no harmony there, everything is out of sync, too many problems.
Old 15-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #48
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The majority of drivers drive at the limit or around the limit, then you have A MINORITY who drive much slower or much faster, they create kaos out there for the majority of drivers, no harmony there, everything is out of sync, too many problems.
Sorry the wording wasnt very clear and i wasnt targeting minorities.
Old 15-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #49
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:

That's exactly what I was taught by my instructor from my first days on the road as a learner. 5-10 km's below the displayed speed limit is quite fine. Mind you, down the highway, the majority of people seem to think they can speed 10 km's + above the speed limit and no cop will book them for doing so, yet I've seen car's pulled over on too many accounts for speeding. If the car you're behind is going significantly slower than the speed limit, just overtake when possible or take an alternate route (ie. around narrow town streets). Simple.

I usually drive 1-2 km's below the speed limit, unless the conditions don't permit it

I've also been abused for going the speed limit on one occasion, too. It was in a 50 zone, down a normal suburban street, surprise surprise.

Last edited by Trek; 15-12-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #50
Alby1
you'd be popular too

Agreed, slow driving (15 or more under 100) is dangerous. i drive a van for work so i get to be a little higher than others and the amount of time i see people a few cars ahead in the right lane doing 80ish than all of a sudden the car behind that one realises it gainging on this car which than sets of this chain reaction of people hitting the brakes. Not many people are prepared to have to hit the brakes on a constant 100 zone.
If your in the right lane going 20 under and i come up behind you doing the speed limit, i'll quickly flash the high beams, if nothing maybe the horn and lights quickly once, still nothing than depends on how crap my day was, but usually over take on the left with a get the beep in the other beeping lane, have some beeping courtesy.
So yeah, i agree it's annoying

Al
Alby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 11:24 PM   #51
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:

I agree, if you've ever seen how the typical QLD'er drives they should knock all speed limits down by 40 km/h.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #52
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

This is funny - a thread where Qld drivers are complaining about people hogging the right hand lane. In my experience (20+ years of driving), there are 2 types of drivers that hog the right hand lane: Volvos (now replaced with the Subaru wagons) and anything with Qld plates.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #53
BlackLS
yum

I'll never ever hassle someone for driving to the conditions.

On all roads, in perfect weather, in a modern car with nothing out of the ordinary around you, that would be at the speed limit because I wouldn't hassle anyone to get pulled over and be fined.

On a motorway, driving to the conditions would be keeping left and being mindful of other traffic, like not pulling out to overtake if you'll take 10 years to pull back in.

On a single lane road, if you have a queue of 20+ cars tailing you, there is a problem, and I'd doubt the problem is with every 20+ cars. In this case driving to the conditions would be speeding up, or pulling over and letting everyone pass.

There was a Red-P plater in the Shire who got booked for driving at 55kmh in the right lane in a 90 zone. The mother fired up and whinged and cried, asking an explanation for being booked while "driving safely"...?!?!?!!!!! Since then the council must have submitted to the mum's whinging, because the road is now 80kmh, no longer keep left unless overtaking.

I really wish there was a few speed-limitless freeways in NSW and other states of Australia. I think there are a lot of arrogant drivers who think its all about them, who frown upon people driving faster than them(they are usually ACA and TT fans). No speed limit would make them the one being frowned on for impeding legally driving traffic in the right lane. We really need to change the status-quo of Australia to welcome higher speeds, especially with the massive distances we need to cover. Speed limiting the Northern Territory was a massive blow.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #54
05_ENFORCER

I have read this thread from the beginning and everyone has mentioned that the speed is not really the problem, it is the right lane hoggers.

If you wish to travel at or below the indicated speed limit then please use the left lane/s.

I believe it is that simple.

Now policing that is another thread

C
Old 16-12-2008, 02:14 AM   #55
xy500
Constant annoyance

sounds like a bunch of city drivers, in the country we don't have right hand lanes hahahahahaa!
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 02:41 AM   #56
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Well it all depends on what I'm driving, if it's the xr6 I stick to 100kph but the landcruiser about 90 because the fuel comsumption gose from 20litres per 100klm at 100kph to 13.5 at 90kph and that a good enough reason for me. But if it's double lane or overtaken lane I go to the left. But on a single lane youes can either overtake or wait till the next overtaken lane. If you want to road rage me bring it on. : And in my hardtop it's got 4:11 ratio so 90kph is a good speed for that as well. So if you see me either be patient until you can overtake or if you tailgate be ready to get brake checked. :evil3:
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #57
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had an absolute atrocity of a driver in front yesterday - I was driving down the Montville Palmwoods Rd and there was this lady doing 30kmh even though there was about 5 cars behind (including me) then at the bottom of the hill where theres dotted lines for people to pass she sped up to about 120kmh in the 80 zone. Now anyone who knows this road will know that is extremely irritating following someone doing 30kmh for 6km down this road. Unfortunately it would seem that people on the Sunshine Coast have forgotten about common courtesy and that if you are going to willingly drive at 50km/h below the posted speed limit you should pull over and let other drivers pass : . Well thats the end of my ranting for now..... Until tomorrow when someone else does the same thing......
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #58
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
sounds like a bunch of city drivers, in the country we don't have right hand lanes hahahahahaa!
i always cringe when i see someone stupidly overtaking before blind corners, across double lines or before a crest on 100km/hr 2 lane country roads.. so dangerous and dumb.. i WONT overtake someone no matter what speed it is on a country road without being able to see to the next corner with enough space i know im not gonna get clobbered by someone doin 140..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #59
Forddirect
Starter Motor

my big bugbears are people trying to merge with traffic that is doing 100kph at 80 or even 60 from the on ramp to a freeway. really dangerous and a big cuase of congestion on the freeways/tollways in melbourne.
FD
Old 17-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #60
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
because the road is now 80kmh, no longer keep left unless overtaking.
I was led to believe all multi lane roads are keep left unless overtaking regardless of speed limit, travelling speed or signage.
It might not be enforced or even enshrined in legislation, but it's still a common courtesy that all drivers should be taught and be aware of nonetheless.

If there is another lane on your passenger side and no vehicle alongside you in it...you're in the wrong lane. It really is that simple.

Thats said, having witnessed both police and driving instructors fail to grasp the concept in the last week, I don't hold much hope that it's going to improve anytime soon.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post