Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #31
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie
(again thats what you get for spending huge amounts of cash on a hypo car)
Don't forget the old cars that used to run on super/leaded. That was 98ron too.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #32
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

I'm gonna have to get off my backside and join smasa, I want to run my car on avgas to see what it's like. 105-110 octane is available from the OG speed shop here in adelaide if you are a member of a car club.

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #33
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Here in the US, years ago, they used to put what you call E10 in the tanks at the filling stations without any difference in rating. Basically, they just said "Now with 10% ethanol for a cleaner environment." It was just done in the winter months here in Ohio, when the cold temperatures would make up for the power loss.

Now ALL gasoline in Ohio, and many other States, always contain 10% ethanol, and the Federal Government is looking to raise it up to 15%, even though there is all kinds of evidence that cars built before 2001 will have problems with it.

The reason here is because several years ago when ethanol was all the rage the government passed legislation for how much will be produced in this country. Well, the anxiousness to develope an ethanol infrastructure dried up when the price of gasoline came back down from the global price increase. Now the producers of ethanol have no market for their product, and to meet the production targets of the legislation the Federal Government is looking to ruin cars built before 2001 in order to increase the amount of ethanol in our gasoline, just so that the legislation can be upheld.

Our cars run fine on the E10 including my wife's 66 Mustang. The E15 scares me though. Do some research online and you will find articles about how bad it can, and has, hurt car engines.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 06:45 AM   #34
durtyharry

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxm
Of course
remove the cheaper option and force all older cars to premium, How else would they be able to raise more tax
increase income tax?
increase tax on cigs?
increase tax on large screen plasmas?
sugar laden soft drinks?
increase tax on baseball caps that are worn backwards...

basically anyway they see fit.
durtyharry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #35
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrules
I'm gonna have to get off my backside and join smasa, I want to run my car on avgas to see what it's like. 105-110 octane is available from the OG speed shop here in adelaide if you are a member of a car club.

I dunno where they are getting it from, but the sale of AVGAS to other then non-aviation related individuals/ companies is illegal (yes serously).

The only way to fiddle it is to own an aircraft and then buy drum stocks and sell it from the drum stocks. However in most states it is illegal due to fire regulations to keep more then one 200ltr drum in your back yard!

As for businesses keeping drums of fuel in their workshop.... I would garantee that their insurance company would not give them one red cent if the building caught fire and it was discovered that AVGAS was being stored there..
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #36
kezzer

THIS PLACE IS A ****************** PRISON, ON PLANET BULL****, IN THE GALAXY OF THIS SUCKS CAMEL *****

haha, im in Vic and this is yet to happen, but basically, they restrict your choice, to e10 , 95 and 98, then in another few years they will probably drop 95, another year 98, then up the price of e10, its a win/win for the government and oil companies.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #37
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in brazil they use E85!!!
as do V8 supercars.. i wonder what that ******** cost's
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #38
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

While there is still regular unleaded available people won't really care... If it means just driving to the next servo to buy it so be it.

Once it is 100% gone there will be a huge uproar IMO... who generally drives pre E10 cars? The people who generally can't afford a new one.. Although, there are some 2000+ models that will also not run on E10.

What will these people do? Cough up the extra $2-5 per tank to run on premium (which will also probably have a blend of ethanol anyway)? Pay for a conversion? Buy a newer car?... and in the process sell their now already de-valued car?

I'm surprised this isn't getting more air time on the talk-back channels.. but I guess it falls behind the recession, ETS etc etc.

Come 2011 this will change.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #39
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
While there is still regular unleaded available people won't really care... If it means just driving to the next servo to buy it so be it.

Once it is 100% gone there will be a huge uproar IMO... who generally drives pre E10 cars? The people who generally can't afford a new one.. Although, there are some 2000+ models that will also not run on E10.

What will these people do? Cough up the extra $2-5 per tank to run on premium (which will also probably have a blend of ethanol anyway)? Pay for a conversion? Buy a newer car?... and in the process sell their now already de-valued car?

I'm surprised this isn't getting more air time on the talk-back channels.. but I guess it falls behind the recession, ETS etc etc.

Come 2011 this will change.
They cannot sell ethanol based fuels without telling you piror (aka sticker on the bowser) by law.

If they are found to be selling incorrect fuel (as in lower then the advertised octane rating or ethanol fuel) the fine runs into the millions.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #40
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
They cannot sell ethanol based fuels without telling you piror (aka sticker on the bowser) by law.

If they are found to be selling incorrect fuel (as in lower then the advertised octane rating or ethanol fuel) the fine runs into the millions.
But that's why I said 'probably'. Isn't ethanol touted as an octane booster? When they kill off regular unleaded for E10, they will gradually introduce it into all fuels.. probably starting with an E5 blend.

I have seen E10 advertised from 91-95RON (why such a large variance is beyond me).. but then, if this is the base fuel, what's left? 98 RON. How long will this stay non ethanol for (in the name of being green of course?)

Don't some of the higher octane (98-100RON) fuels already have a little ethanol in them already? Though I have read / seen that somewhere.

Which goes back to the crux of the problem.. what will owners of non E10 compatible engines do? This goes far beyond just cars. Scooters, generators, boats, lawn mowers etc etc etc.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #41
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
But that's why I said 'probably'. Isn't ethanol touted as an octane booster? When they kill off regular unleaded for E10, they will gradually introduce it into all fuels.. probably starting with an E5 blend.

I have seen E10 advertised from 91-95RON (why such a large variance is beyond me).. but then, if this is the base fuel, what's left? 98 RON. How long will this stay non ethanol for (in the name of being green of course?)

Don't some of the higher octane (98-100RON) fuels already have a little ethanol in them already? Though I have read / seen that somewhere.

Which goes back to the crux of the problem.. what will owners of non E10 compatible engines do? This goes far beyond just cars. Scooters, generators, boats, lawn mowers etc etc etc.
Some 98's have ethanol added yes (United 98 and United 100) The ron variance comes from the amount of ethanol added (its usually never the full 10% but from 0-7%)

They will always have a non ethanol based fuel available, for them not to is commercial suicide.

Ethanol isnt octane booster per say (it does have a higher octane rating though) companies use Toulene and other bases to increase RON ratings from base hydrocarbons.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #42
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Britain don't even sell 91 RON fuel, as many other Euro countries do. This is why many Euro cars call for Australian Spec 95 RON or higher. It Britain they have a base of 95 RON, a 97 RON mix and some companies sell 99 RON. As for ethanol, my car can run it but I'll never put it in. There is no true research to say it uses less or more fuel that I've seen, or that it's good or bad for your engine over a long period of time. 95-98 only for me. I get more miles out of it, it runs smoother, is quicker, worth a few extra centre I say. If you can afford to buy a new car, you can afford to put a proper fuel into it...
Old 06-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Fuel is taxed twice, its taxed at the refinery level (last i heard its like 60-70c per litre) and just your standard GST when the servo purchases it.
No, it's 38 cents/litre excise and then 10% GST at the pump.
The GST is and efficient way to for the federal government to collect taxes for state budgets.
I'm not sure what the excise collection funds but I'm pretty sure we would be screwed without it....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #44
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
No, it's 38 cents/litre excise and then 10% GST at the pump.
The GST is and efficient way to for the federal government to collect taxes for state budgets.
I'm not sure what the excise collection funds but I'm pretty sure we would be screwed without it....
NSW gets taxed more compared to QLD (hence why you guys used to/still have lower bowser price then us)

Just checked it, we pay 46% in tax for fuel.

Last edited by Copie; 06-02-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #45
4117kev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I contacted FPV about running on GT on E10 & was told to only run it on 98
4117kev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post