Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2015, 12:04 AM   #61
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is your car a Moron magnet >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6AUII? View Post
There's always someone that wants to be in front....no matter how fast you're going!

There's a few reoccurring themes I see on a dual lane highway,
everyone is happy to stay left until you get close enough & decide to pass a few. Then the first 2 or 3 in front of you decide they want to overtake too...all of a sudden.
Nobody likes to be passed I think is the problem there.

Then there's the "Small Car Syndrome" (SCS), you know that one twat in a Daewoo or Hyundai or Suzuki, that has no business trying to overtake ANYTHING, & yet you'll see them always vying for position in traffic.
The problem there is that the car is small, but the ego is barely able to fit inside!

I know some people hate being overtaken and will speed up, but in general people in small cars should be allowed to overtake whoever is going slower than them.
What's worse is when people in powerful cars are overtaken and then they think "how dare a pos hyundai overtake me, I have to pass them again to put them back in their place"

I found people "bully" you more when you are in a small car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #62
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

My Ute has been hit on pretty much an annual basis since I got it. By the usual suspects - people who drive into parked cars, people who think their pajero is actually truck and can therefore lane share while turning.
Plus I don't think I go a day where one or a combination of the following happens:
I get tail gated
Someone swerves into my lane - this tends to happen several times a day
Someone fails to give way
Someone doors my car in the work car park
Someone jumps onto the lane on front of me with a poofteenth of an inch between us in a hundred zone - usually when I'm overtaking and they want to overtake much more slowly than I am...
Someone tries to overtake me while I slow down for the speed bump that is just before my house that i turn right into

Starting to see why it got traded in. Poor dear. It gets bullied so much.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #63
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My VW Transporter van is a moron magnet. In fact almost every driver asks as a moron just to get in front of me! I wonder how many of you in this thread also have a desperation to get in front of a commercial van?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2015, 12:17 AM   #64
Lotte

Oh and there's the shagged vl turbo that got upset with me one day when I beat him at the lights (I was unaware we were racing but whatever). Then tried harder the second time so I booted it.
Not sure how embarrassing it would be to get your vl turbo **** handed to you on a platter by a stock bf egas would be, but I'm imagining it's pretty shameful

Old 07-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #65
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte View Post
My Ute has been hit on pretty much an annual basis since I got it. By the usual suspects - people who drive into parked cars, people who think their pajero is actually truck and can therefore lane share while turning.
This seems to be on the rise. Don't worry about 4x4's. Micro cars turning into side streets like their B-doubles.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #66
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some idiots in cars will lane share while turning, at least you can spot these half wits from a mile away. Then you have the other idiots that will be in the correct lane to turn, but then the second before they turn they yank the wheel the opposite way to get a bigger swing and almost take off your mirror in the process.
I'd rather cops crack down on people who can't turn over people doing 5 over the limit.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #67
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
This seems to be on the rise. Don't worry about 4x4's. Micro cars turning into side streets like their B-doubles.
Or driving an F1 car in slow mode

Had a mini van i was passing come over on me yesterday, he did the "shimmy" when he saw me
But then continued anyway , some heavy braking and partial use of the right hand turn lane saw me safe and clear......... (3 near misses in a month)
These sorts need to be caught, charged with dangerous driving and be made to do a driving course and "re sit" for their RIGHT TO DRIVE (license)
Old 07-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #68
Lotte

Quote:
My car has been hit by Pajeros multiple times :P
I'm particularly wary of this model - I never see a good pajero driver

Old 07-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #69
Sioso
irregular member

Is your car a Moron magnet?

If you answer "yes" to this question what are you saying about yourself?
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #70
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte View Post
Plus I don't think I go a day where one or a combination of the following happens:
I get tail gated
Someone swerves into my lane - this tends to happen several times a day
Someone fails to give way
Someone doors my car in the work car park
Someone jumps onto the lane on front of me with a poofteenth of an inch between us in a hundred zone - usually when I'm overtaking and they want to overtake much more slowly than I am...
Someone tries to overtake me while I slow down for the speed bump that is just before my house that i turn right into

Starting to see why it got traded in. Poor dear. It gets bullied so much.
Happened to me too, now I just park at the most furthest spot in the car park at work where no one parks next to me. I don't care about walking the extra distance. I'm just over idiots that don't care about others' property. Same deal with shopping centres etc, both mine and the wife's car parks well away from anyone else as much as possible. The wife's car especially has copped more than her fair share of dings.
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #71
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig_3754 View Post
A special mention needs to go to drivers that feel the need to tailgate on a single lane road when you're driving under the speed limit, even though you're already relatively close to the car ahead of you, usually a result of driving to the conditions because of heavier traffic. I'm not sure what this behaviour is supposed to achieve, as I don't think I can go much faster given the situation. Attempted intimidation perhaps?

I think they believe, and believe you will believe, it makes them look like Supercar drivers.
Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #72
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Is your car a Moron magnet?

If you answer "yes" to this question what are you saying about yourself?
Maybe read up on magnets.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #73
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not car but when i ride my motorbike they tend to come out. Like if i feel like a bit of fun i will lane split or really lean going around the corners but then you get the odd car that thinks they can out run you for some reason. I'm not on a track trying to get the best time so when you overtake and stick your arm out the window like you have won, your a f'in tool. (if i wanted to win i could easily get away even on my 500).
Usually commonhore drivers.
Oh wanted to change to inside lane yesturday arvo, indicated and had a quick look then some moron in commonhore zoomed past, lucky i looked back or he wood have nocked my off.

Anyway i eventually got in front because he got held up by traffic then tries to beat me.
WFT
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #74
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
Not car but when i ride my motorbike they tend to come out. Like if i feel like a bit of fun i will lane split or really lean going around the corners but then you get the odd car that thinks they can out run you for some reason. I'm not on a track trying to get the best time so when you overtake and stick your arm out the window like you have won, your a f'in tool. (if i wanted to win i could easily get away even on my 500).
Usually commonhore drivers.
Oh wanted to change to inside lane yesturday arvo, indicated and had a quick look then some moron in commonhore zoomed past, lucky i looked back or he wood have nocked my off.

Anyway i eventually got in front because he got held up by traffic then tries to beat me.
WFT
agree 100% about the moron attraction capabilities of the bike
but when some idiot cuts me off or some other crazy maneuver I just let them go because you cant win road rage on a bike
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #75
Dezza
Parts bin special

The drivers side mirror on my AU has been hit 3 times in the 5 years I've owned it. Lucky for me, the car is just a cheap runabout, and is already far from immaculate, but it's still bloody annoying

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #76
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Undertaking, or overtaking on the inside should be illegal, especially in the far left lane on multi-lane hwys and fwys. (three lanes on more). My van isn't necessarily a moron magnet, but I'm surrounded by them, more so on Saturday mornings around lunchtime. Monash inbound from Warrigal rd seems to bring out the doosy drivers more than any other road.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #77
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Undertaking, or overtaking on the inside should be illegal, especially in the far left lane on multi-lane hwys and fwys. (three lanes on more). My van isn't necessarily a moron magnet, but I'm surrounded by them, more so on Saturday mornings around lunchtime. Monash inbound from Warrigal rd seems to bring out the doosy drivers more than any other road.
If you constantly have people overtaking you on the left, maybe you should get out of the right lane! People wouldn't have to undertake if everyone paid attention to the "Keep left unless overtaking" road law.

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
4 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2015, 11:59 PM   #78
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amazing! Ive never owned an outwardly performance oriented car, Sleepers and under the radar cars to date.
I picked up a XR8 yesterday as the ute and fun cars are all two doors and impractical with a 6 month old. Eminently sensible choice I thought and now I'm a magnet for Morons, it happened in less than 24 hours.
On the drive home from my hobby workshop tonight I had two incidence of other driver moronicism. A P plater and his mate in a astra pulled up beside in traffic and intimated some sort of young male ritual was about to happen with oohs and ahhs comments. At the next set of lights they pulled up to a screeching tyre smoking halt and revved the hell out of the engine until the lights went green. Marty Mcfly style I turned left, I think they stalled?
And another driver tailgating me and pulled up beside when they could and abused me for travelling so slow. It was a construction zone marked 25 and I was probably doing 30! needless to say at the end of the zone they were a long way behind me.
Did I mention I now have an XR8!.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2015, 02:23 AM   #79
marty351

Read the post.
You can only travel as fast as the traffic around you. I do keep left, I stay in the second lane on 3+ lane roads to allow people to merge safely on and off the road. If your one of these morons who always has to go faster than every one else travelling as fast as they can legally go then do it in the RIGHT lane. Speed cameras don't discriminate and police rarely do.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #80
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Maybe read up on magnets.
I was pointing out that if you agree your car is a moron magnet and you actually bought the car that attracts morons, then wouldn't that make the owner of said car a moron also?
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #81
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Read the post.
You can only travel as fast as the traffic around you. I do keep left, I stay in the second lane on 3+ lane roads to allow people to merge safely on and off the road. If your one of these morons who always has to go faster than every one else travelling as fast as they can legally go then do it in the RIGHT lane. Speed cameras don't discriminate and police rarely do.

Just because your speedo says you are going as fast as you can doesn't mean it's correct.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #82
AJ09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
A car that attracted kangaroos would be a bummer.
The VE Commodore I drove as a work car managed to attract them 3 times! The 3rd was the best effort, $3500 damage.

The positive outcome was having an XR6 hire car for 2 weeks.
AJ09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2015, 06:20 PM   #83
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Read the post.
I just want to set the cruise control and do the speed limit, that's all, and I've got the clean driving record to prove it. It's just constantly there will be multiple drivers doing 20kph under the speed limit side-by-side in the right and middle lanes. Should I be forced to drive at their speed when I can get around them easily and safely in the unused left lane? If there is a faster driver behind me, I'll let them past rather than hold them up. I just wish a few more drivers would show the same amount of courtesy back.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:20 PM   #84
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Just because your speedo says you are going as fast as you can doesn't mean it's correct.
Quite right there, GPS is accurate. 82 kph shows a smidge under 85 on speedo, same at 102, just under 105. I'm not a slow driver, just a legal one.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #85
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza View Post
I just want to set the cruise control and do the speed limit, that's all, and I've got the clean driving record to prove it. It's just constantly there will be multiple drivers doing 20kph under the speed limit side-by-side in the right and middle lanes. Should I be forced to drive at their speed when I can get around them easily and safely in the unused left lane? If there is a faster driver behind me, I'll let them past rather than hold them up. I just wish a few more drivers would show the same amount of courtesy back.
By all means go around them safely. My reference was about motorways with multiple exit/entrances, such a Monash fwy.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #86
Kingsley
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
I was pointing out that if you agree your car is a moron magnet and you actually bought the car that attracts morons, then wouldn't that make the owner of said car a moron also?
Dunno....I've never owned a Golf...
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #87
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My daily is a 6 litre WM caprice gold in colour and stock. BA XR6 drivers and VR-VZ Holden drivers want to line me up any chance they get . 98% of the time I ignor but occasionally I'll hit the loud pedal . 270KW and around 15 or so seconds is usually enough to make them look stupid to their car full of mates and back off. I also have an XB Coupe and nobody ever wants to try it on with that. The irony is that the caprice is quicker lol
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post