Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #2551
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
they will generate until the sun ceases to shine, the question is how much will they produce.......
Yep, that's what I'm trying to work out.
I'm working with the Solar company to determine the optimal system and configuration to cover as much of our own consumption as possible, but not really putting too much back into the grid.
Have worked out the majority of consumption is in the afternoon, so trying to maximize the west facing panels.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #2552
savagetuna55
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Question: with panels facing squarely West, till what time in the afternoon will they continue to generate power to provide 240V?
At the height of summer, (Summer solstice) 21-12 till 6.30pm ish
at the low of winter (winter solstice) 21-06 till 4.30 max.
Look at the average per year is another indicator.
And to change ,if needed, your household energy useage as the power IS available (Washing machines etc to be run when the panels are producing.
savagetuna55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #2553
CJR09
RPO 77

people need to remember also that different brands and models of inverters have different minimum switch on and off voltages - sometimes it is better and more efficient to go with a smaller inverter and have it switch on earlier and switch off later generating for a greater portion of the day but clip the peak generation where a larger inverter may have switched on later and off sooner but had greater peak generation but for nowhere near as many kWhr's

you don't have this prob with sma's/enasolar et al there min switch on volt approx 130v whereas brands such as solarmax/samil are twice that - meaning the panels have to work twice as hard before the system even turns on and starts to channel its energy...

delta probably represent best value for money having similar specs to sma/enasolar but are half the cost and interestingly have twice the factory std warranty @ 10 yrs

panel efficiency is what you need to look at thoroughly also - the difference between a 14.5% efficient panel and a 16% efficient panel is 10% - and are mostly the same cost - that can equate to a 10% more efficient system for nothing - fwiw suntech are good but there is better value for money out there at about 20-25% less cost

a good solar energy provider will be able to tell you within a few % what you can achieve from minimal info - geographical data, longitude/latitude, insolation, inclination, orientation, mount type, cable run length, inverter data, module data

you are very much on the right track

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

Last edited by CJR09; 14-02-2014 at 11:47 PM.
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #2554
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

So I have been thinking... why stop at just solar power during the day? Why can't I store the power generated during the day and use it at night time?

So my question is; would anyone know how much battery capacity I'd need to store enough power to sustain my house during the night?
I've worked out my consumption is about 0.5-1.0kW/hr between the hours of 10pm-10am.

I've got some spare space behind my garage... how many batteries would I need and is it even feasible at this point in time?
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 03-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #2555
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yea I'd also be interested in looking at that scenario, i think you'll find that the batteries will be pretty exe though i have heard of folks using second hand forklift type batteries that can be picked up fairly cheap (ish).. obviously the necessary batteries are not your standard car battery type..
Cheers
Ed
zeuss000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #2556
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
So I have been thinking... why stop at just solar power during the day? Why can't I store the power generated during the day and use it at night time?

So my question is; would anyone know how much battery capacity I'd need to store enough power to sustain my house during the night?
I've worked out my consumption is about 0.5-1.0kW/hr between the hours of 10pm-10am.

I've got some spare space behind my garage... how many batteries would I need and is it even feasible at this point in time?
you could probably get away with 1/2 1400AH batteries but it would be a cost prohibitive waste of time - it will sting ya an extra 4-5k for the batts, control and switch gear

o/grid looking at approx $7-8/watt installed

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #2557
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, I am doing the rounds again after moving home. Still in outer Sydney, Endeavour Energy area.

I am looking a little bigger 4-5kw, still in NSW, so NET FIT.
Net Metering works on an instantaneous net of electricity use/production.

One bunch said that I need a Three-Phase Inverter (I have 3 Phase) - I find this odd.
My previous install was also in a three Phase home, and my figures seem to show that that single phase inverter fed in to the NET meter, Netting Solar Production against the total of the three Phases.

From my chat with someone who did not want to share info at Endeavour Energy, they use two Meters for Three Phase Solar; 1 is a "Stand Alone" the other is a
"Combo". The only reason driving choice is apparently the room left on the board.

So my Qs for those in the know:
1) Do either/both of the two meters used by Endeavour Energy net the Solar against the total of the three Phases, or rather just one Phase.
2) Are either/both of these meters "Smart Meters" (enabling Time of day billing).
3) What are the brand/model of the meters currently in use ?
4) Is there a requirement (or benefit to the homeowner) to have the solar distributed across all three Phases ?
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #2558
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Maybe have a chat to Solar Choice, they are a solar system broker and I found them very helpful when doing my research

http://www.solarchoice.net.au/

1800 78 72 73
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 20-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #2559
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK

Got a call back from a techie.
3030 same as my last one, and all the meters do net solar against all three phases.
If a System is 5kw or above (panels OR inverter) it must be split - this is a service provider requirement, and does not benefit the homeowner (not sure if this is a <5kw difference between phases, or a <5kw max per phase)
Old 30-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #2560
Uninvitedgest
Starter Motor

Prior to my cancer diagnosis I worked for a small company in Denmark Western Australia as a Designer/ Installer; one of the last projects I was working on was designing and project coordinating of the second biggest rooftop installation in Western Australia. So if anyone has any technical questions they want an unbiased opinion on send me a message.
Uninvitedgest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #2561
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

welcome to the forum . hope you beat the big c
Old 30-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #2562
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got my new bill (he he he I love calling it that) now $565 in credit 4kw system gotta say im loving life and now ive got a slow combustion heater it wont go down much in winter and as i'm in the country the firewood is free !!!
Old 30-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #2563
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
got my new bill (he he he I love calling it that) now $565 in credit 4kw system gotta say im loving life and now ive got a slow combustion heater it wont go down much in winter and as i'm in the country the firewood is free !!!
See if you can draw that credit and by some more hardtop bits. Just got solar put on 20x250w panels and two inverters 3.3kw and a 1.5kw.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #2564
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it would be nice to have but I don't want to pay tax on it plus you never know what the future holds for input credits ( mind you one can never have too many hardtop bits )
Old 31-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #2565
My32Doors

Morning all! I have been following this thread with much interest and would like to thank all those who posted for their experiences and feedback. I have just had a 4.5kW system installed and took great delight in watching the meter spin backwards. 4.5kW is the largest single phase array that PowerWater allow and is divided 8 panels east (actually ESE) and 10 panels west (WNW). This array uses 9 micro-inverters rather than a single inverter. This allows panels to generate individually rather than on a string. Been averaging around 22kW/h per day but that will increase once I've removed a line of trees which totally shadows western panels mid arvo. I'm thinking 27kW/h per day will be the go. Hopefully should knock around $700 per quarter off the bill!
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #2566
fnm17

Recieved my "Bill", $419 in credit, a little less than i expected, although all these rain days we have recieved over the last quarter probably dropped this by a little, I think last year it was $500 in credit for the same period.
fnm17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #2567
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnm17 View Post
Recieved my "Bill", $419 in credit, a little less than i expected, although all these rain days we have recieved over the last quarter probably dropped this by a little, I think last year it was $500 in credit for the same period.
it will go up and down, I had a lot more "credit" worked into my theory as well but the best laid plans and all that.

I haven't paid a bill since install and just withdrew $1,000 leaving $250 or thereabouts (after my last account).

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #2568
fnm17

Definetly, a credit is way better either than a $333 bill
fnm17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #2569
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to ask, but for comparisons sake I would love it if people stated if they were NET fit (like new NSW connections), or Gross (total Generated) FIT.

My previous 2KW NSW install (NET FIT 6.6c) saved me about $200 per quarter, and my calculations (based on sampling every 5 minutes) imply that even at a 5kw system I would not get into a credit situation.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #2570
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gross generated for me........paid for every kilowatt I produce.

BIL'S wife has terminal cancer, the drugs she takes make it hard for her body to regulate her temperature so their ducted reverse cycle air-con runs 24/7.......bills used to be $1500 per quarter and rising.

since we installed a 5 kilowatt system, unfortunately after the larger FIT'S were taken away, the accounts have halved, ...................I think this is still a good outcome for a relatively small expenditure (taken over the life of the system).

sometimes a credit is maybe not the way to be thinking, a major reduction in power accounts is a very good outcome I feel.

the "credit" in my account is good but the "no charge" on my account is what gives me the buzz!

after years of fearing the power account I couldn't really care less about the money side of it.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #2571
Fordxelisty

4.5 kW at darwin

Last bill $800. I use power and ac when I feel so that is about right. Normal bill would be about $1500 without the solar.

Wet season too so not as much sun. Average 22kwh per day on a sunny day. Panels not in ideal position but best we can get

Happy with the set up and will pay for itself in about 4 years.
I will get a new 5.5 kW after that with a smart inverter so only 4.5 kW goes into the grid. Won't be for a few years though
Fordxelisty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #2572
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Whats the price on a 5KW system in Victoria? We average about 25KW/h a day with our power usage with no heating/AC.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #2573
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Whats the price on a 5KW system in Victoria? We average about 25KW/h a day with our power usage with no heating/AC.
Have a look at the latest PV installation price index here:

http://www.solarchoice.net.au/blog/s...h-2014-100314/
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 12-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #2574
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Energex finally got around to putting our other meter in. I'm just interested how are you meant to read it? There are two different readings that flash back and forward. So I'm figuring the one with the minus sign is what we put into the grid? And the other is what we have used from the grid? That's just a guess I don't know.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #2575
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do you have the Itron meter?........if so you will have "export" or "import" stamped straight under the numbers with a little set of numbers above the stage you are at.

press the blue button and your numbers will change and the "staging number" will light up above the position you are in.

a user manual can be downloaded from here, https://www.itron.com/mxca/en/produc...ype%20292.aspx ETSA only use this model so I can't comment on any others.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #2576
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

This is the one I've got and all it dose is flick from a reading that has a minus to a reading that doesn't. I guess one will be import and one will be export, thanks poppa.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #2577
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I've got the Em1000 too Roo.

Positive reading is what you've taken from the grid, negative reading is what you've given to the grid. My meter bloke must read both the values and enter them into his handheld unit.

https://www.energex.com.au/__data/as...25619/8006.pdf

I dunno how it works if you've got off peak power tariff like electric hot water/pool pump - maybe a different meter is fitted. I've got gas hot water/stove and no pool.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #2578
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we don't use those around here so I'm not familiar, my guess is to use the "scroll" button (top right) to view the different outputs or inputs.

you will have a "J" tariff in there as well if you have electric hot water, disregard that one.

as SS states positive reading is "infeed" (bad) , negative reading is "export" (good)

you may find this interesting........ https://www.energex.com.au/__data/as...25619/8006.pdf

or even http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPmk57Xq08U

Last edited by poppa smurf; 12-04-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added PDF
Old 12-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #2579
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Thanks fellas. I have solar hot water as well. The scroll button only puts it to the reading it's not displaying at the time. But then just goes back to flicking between the two, so ultimately you'd want export number to be a lot high then the import number.
Old 27-04-2014, 01:57 AM   #2580
zilo
BANNED

I just did some sums and its cheaper to buy 3kw of panels and a standard electric hotwater system instead of a solar convection unit....(about 4000-4500 dollars)

My question is...will an electric hot water unit work using 240volts DC instead of AC?

(cause when the water is hot this setup would still make electricity for charging batteries and a convection solar unit does stuff all once water is up to temp)

Anyone tried it?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post