Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Shame, envy drive our road habits: study

http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...dtns.html#poll

It is interesting, sounds about right too.

Just thinking about myself, if its not going to slow me down I'll let someone in.

And would let any cool car (doesnt have to be expensive, just cool) in (like race porsches, jacked landys, V8 Kingswood) but not new bmw's (may even block them so others can get in before them...). That option wasnt in there?

And if you have others in your car that dont like getting from a to b a bit quicker, yes I would let more people in as you're going slow anyway and it wont make much difference to anything (not cos you have your mum/wife/whoever with you like they suggested).

EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default Re: Shame, envy drive our road habits: study

Wtf...peer pressure and all that crock does not compute with me..

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a car that has been in front of me and holding position then indicates to change lanes, I will let them in. If I see a car race up the wrong lane then indicate to change lanes in front of me to make a turn, then I am more likely to make it difficult for them because it annoys me when I do the right thing and get into the correct lane with more traffic in it, only to see multiple mongrels deliberately choose the wrong lane and then push in further up ahead.

I will usually leave a gap at a side street when stopped in traffic - this enables traffic turning in and out of the street clear passage. There is one situation where I will not do this - on a major road where peak hour traffic results in queuing for multiple light cycles - several people think that by jumping the queue by taking the service road they will get let in up the other end. Here I will either let no cars in front or I will let one in only - the rest can merge behind me. This sort of behaviour is something that should be discouraged. If that means insisting on my right of way in bumper to bumper traffic, then that makes their choice less attractive. What should be a quiet service road designed to service the properties on that section becomes a major thoroughfare with hundreds of cars going through.

Envy of better cars? No it is usually the driver of the luxury car is driving like a tool and has a superiority complex making them think they can drive how they like. As a result, people won't do them any favours.

I think the study needed to look further into why people let or don't let others in. For people who are stuck in the wrong lane or a little lost, they usually get let in. Those who are aggressive and try to force their way in to make their trip quicker at the expense of everyone behind, they will frequently encounter more resistance. The behaviour of the driver wanting to be let in is a significant factor.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I read that article, and believe, for the most part, it is true.

The humourous part is that most people would be completely unaware of their reasoning behind doing it.

We make all sorts of reasoning behind why we don't let a person in, they didn't do this or that, the justification is usually something like this...

Quote:
Envy of better cars? No it is usually the driver of the luxury car is driving like a tool and has a superiority complex making them think they can drive how they like. As a result, people won't do them any favours.
Not having a crack, just making my usual observations

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

i'll no doubt get flamed, but blocking/not letting people in is just juvenile.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Irks me when a queue jumper wants to get back into the lane they were in further back, when their free lane or even emergency lane suddenly ends. Which is quite often the reason why the traffic has slowed, because of 'courteous' drivers slowing down to let them back in.

Lexus and BMW SUV's are quite often the culprits.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Irks me when a queue jumper wants to get back into the lane they were in further back, when their free lane or even emergency lane suddenly ends. Which is quite often the reason why the traffic has slowed, because of 'courteous' drivers slowing down to let them back in.

Lexus and BMW SUV's are quite often the culprits.
THIS!!!! I make a point NEVER to let these people in. They know what they're doing. They can see the signs that the lane is closed. And those people further up ahead aren't being courteous; they're being stupid! They are rewarding bad behaviour.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

White work utes and van. And Audi SUV's I notice as the most annoying drivers in traffic. Always in a hurry and expect everyone to let them out or in front of them.

I will let anyone out of a side street if it is safe to do so.
If they have big rims on front and stockies on back I will do whatever I can to NOT let them in.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Using indicators or lack thereof(take note queenslanders) and driving like asses are factors in my decision to let people in.

However on freeways etc, if cars just moved over into the right lane, or left a space-plus the person in the slip lane got up to the right speed-we might actually see the Bruce highway moving at its sign posted speed.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #10
barra265t
Banned

Anyone here find themselves letting other fellow Ford/FPV drivers through, but blocking out the annoying P-plater Commodore or Toyota Fridge?
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #11
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the way i look at it is if they are being a reasonable user of the road and respecting everyone else (not sitting mm's from the bumper of the car infront of them so they can be first in a lane merge) i have a simply rule if their B pillar is infront of my A pillar they have right of way
Old 27-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #12
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just let anyone in... Takes about a second, it's safer than playing games with them, plus everyone stays happy... Spite has no place on the road
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #13
LWB
Classic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
the way i look at it is if they are being a reasonable user of the road and respecting everyone else (not sitting mm's from the bumper of the car infront of them so they can be first in a lane merge) i have a simply rule if their B pillar is infront of my A pillar they have right of way
That's pretty much it mate.
LWB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
I just let anyone in... Takes about a second, it's safer than playing games with them, plus everyone stays happy... Spite has no place on the road
+1

Not my job to police the road and I don't want some knob re-arranging the front of my car while I was trying to teach them a 'lesson'.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #15
sudszy
Banned

So its all measured by whether one lets a car into the major traffic stream when traffic is backed up?

As some have pointed out, many take the side streets in an attempt to join the traffic stream further down or keep going down the lane which is having to merge further down, simply cases of queue jumping, yes and letting them in is rewarding the behaviour. Traffic merging from 3 to 2 lanes shouldnt need to come to a standstill, but it does, why, because of the people that insist on driving right down to where they can no longer get past, have to stop, and obviously to rejoin the traffic stream they have to start moving from rest. It would be so much easier if they merged further back where the traffic stream would only have to drop speed in theory by 30% to accommodate everyone.

Sometimes, I feel compelled to position my car far enough into the lane that is merging right so at least they cant get pass me!(only when there is no obvious left turn that they could argue to be doing)

Also if you let one person in from a sidestreet, do you let the one in behind it and so forth? Maybe some people who have all day to get somewhere dont mind and think they are being considerate, yeh it happens, someone in front lets through 2 or 3 cars, near an intersection, those 2 or 3 cars get through the next set of lights before you, wait another 5 mins at a huge intersection, yeh thanks for being generous with my time!.........as far as I understand it cars on the main thoroughfare have right of way......rant!

In view of what cars I let in and dont, havent really thought about it, maybe I have a bias, dont know.

Last edited by sudszy; 27-04-2011 at 08:33 AM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
So its all measured by whether one lets a car into the major traffic stream when traffic is backed up?

As some have pointed out, many take the side streets in an attempt to join the traffic stream further down or keep going down the lane which is having to merge further down, simply cases of queue jumping, yes and letting them in is rewarding the behaviour. Traffic merging from 3 to 2 lanes shouldnt need to come to a standstill, but it does, why, because of the people that insist on driving right down to where they can no longer get past, have to stop, and obviously to rejoin the traffic stream they have to start moving from rest. It would be so much easier if they merged further back where the traffic stream would only have to drop speed in theory by 30% to accommodate everyone.

Sometimes, I feel compelled to position my car far enough into the lane that is merging right so at least they cant get pass me!(only when there is no obvious left turn that they could argue to be doing)

Also if you let one person in from a sidestreet, do you let the one in behind it and so forth? Maybe some people who have all day to get somewhere dont mind and think they are being considerate, yeh it happens, someone in front lets through 2 or 3 cars, near an intersection, those 2 or 3 cars get through the next set of lights before you, wait another 5 mins at a huge intersection, yeh thanks for being generous with my time!.........as far as I understand it cars on the main thoroughfare have right of way......rant!

In view of what cars I let in and dont, havent really thought about it, maybe I have a bias, dont know.
so how far back from the incident/blocked lane/lane end, should people merge into the other lane?? may as well use both lanes for as long as possible. it isn't difficult to let people in and it will make very little difference to a trip time.

i would be very surprised if any intersections had a 5minute cycle too. it may feel like 5min while you are sitting there though. if your schedule is so tight that 5min makes a difference, then you need to plan better.

every road user has just as much right to be there as the next guy. its all a privilege and the road is there to be shared. too many vigilantes.

if someone was trying to merge and some holden driver purposely stopped them, there would be threads on here about the idiot holden driver!!!! seems many can dish it out but can't take it.
Old 27-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #17
Scott

Here in Brisbane you'll find the left lane (that will end soon) vacant for anything from 100m - 1km. Should you dare to travel in it to the end, and pass a hundred cars or so, you can expect dirty looks come the blend line.

On the whole, I find everyone quite courteous in QLD roads - the only issues I find are in lacking knowledge and awareness, but not courtesy. Staying right and not knowing how to "zipper" are the worst of it.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
White work utes and van.
What rubbish! I wrestle with the daily grind of traffic desperate to get in front of my van. Obviously tradies vans can't accelerate at the same levels as cars etc. but you would be surprised at what people have done illegally so that I can be in their rear view mirrors.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surprisingly, I've always found that Brisbane drivers seem to be a lot more courteous than in rural cities like Bundaberg and Rockhampton...expecially Rocky...bloody hell, there are some absolute morons driving around there...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #20
metasaiah

I'm from Perth. Everyone else in the country has nothing to worry about...

Seriously we have shocking drivers in Perth. Reading through this thread so far I have been able to identify many types of bad driving behaviour - it is no trouble to encounter them all in a five-minute trip anywhere in Perth.
Our population has exploded in Perth and we are still driving on roads designed for the 1960's. There are not enough lanes on any of the major roads and all our govt does about it is tell people to ride a bike. FFS I live 43km from work and there is no public transport that will get me to work on time! It's not an uncommon situation to be in either.

Regarding my personal driving behaviour, I prefer to use cruise control wherever possible but you simply can't in Perth. Either you're getting tailgated or blocked or both - all I want to do is travel at the posted speed limit!
My two personal peeves are those people who absolutely must be travelling just a little faster than you are, just so they can cut you off once they get ahead, and those who are in a comatose state while merging into traffic and do not think about how they are going to merge safely.
I will admit to making it difficult for anyone who attempts to bully their way through the traffic; I love playing mind games with anyone who appears to think that their time (or their life) is more important than mine. And even if a truck driver thinks he is on a mine site and has right of way because he is bigger, I don't give a toss. I will not let them force others off the road.

Contrary to the posted signage (100km/h), the freeways in Perth actually have two speed limits.In the left lane you can't go faster than 95; in the right 115 is the minimum in order to avoid harassment. Why can't we all just get along?
Old 27-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #21
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what's the point of the article? are we all supposed to take a promise to let in only those that are the same sex and driving a better car that me? Interesting, but pointless money wasting by Universities at it's best.
Old 27-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #22
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

These posts get my vote......

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i'll no doubt get flamed, but blocking/not letting people in is just juvenile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #23
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
So what's the point of the article? are we all supposed to take a promise to let in only those that are the same sex and driving a better car that me? Interesting, but pointless money wasting by Universities at it's best.
Maybe it's a hint to people that they aren't the only vehicle on the road (including those who drive all the way to the end of a merge lane and try to force their way in)?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #24
The Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
Maybe it's a hint to people that they aren't the only vehicle on the road (including those who drive all the way to the end of a merge lane and try to force their way in)?

something tells me that this kind of article is lost on those types of people.
The Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #25
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
What rubbish! I wrestle with the daily grind of traffic desperate to get in front of my van. Obviously tradies vans can't accelerate at the same levels as cars etc. but you would be surprised at what people have done illegally so that I can be in their rear view mirrors.
It works both ways. I am not saying everyone in a work van is a terrible driver.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #26
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
I think the study needed to look further into why people let or don't let others in. For people who are stuck in the wrong lane or a little lost, they usually get let in. Those who are aggressive and try to force their way in to make their trip quicker at the expense of everyone behind, they will frequently encounter more resistance. The behaviour of the driver wanting to be let in is a significant factor.
There's another type of driver on our roads.... the totally oblivious.
These are the ones that dont see the car inf ront of them that is indicating to turn right on a two lane road, with parking allowed in the left, so they only move over to go around them at the last second leaving you to react to a stationary car infront of you. Or the ones that dont even realise the lane they are in is ending, or is a must turn left lane, and jam their brakes on in a panic and throw on their indicator to move right.

When it comes to a lane ending due to roadworks or a crash or similar, I've always taken the one-for-one approach. One car from each lane, turn by turn.
You often get people that dont like this rule when entering from a side road into bumper to bumper traffic, these are the ones that act like they didnt see you and stare straight ahead.
Old 27-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #27
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74

Spot on.. I don't envy someone with a luxury car, in fact I pity them, because as commented above, they do indeed have a superior attitude which seems to peak on the road and causes them to look like pompous tools. They are almost a bigger offender than the P's for tailgating, weaving, speeding, cutting in and cutting off etc.. and boy, don't they flap their arms around wildly if anyone doing the limit should slow them down!!

I will let anyone in who is waiting their turn and going with the merging traffic. However I will not go out of my way to assist someone who's barging in at eleventy-million km/h, especially when they're clearly wealthy types with 'society status' number plates such as '229-922' (always on black BMW or Merc soft roaders in Victoria).. I will make it tough for them, and it certainly ain't out of envy.

NOTE; for Vic drivers, next time you see a black plate with white numbers, 6 digits, normally palandromic ie 544-445, take note of the type of car and how they interpret the road rules.. it's consistent as gravity, they will drive like pigs!

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #28
brendo83

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
so how far back from the incident/blocked lane/lane end, should people merge into the other lane?? may as well use both lanes for as long as possible. it isn't difficult to let people in and it will make very little difference to a trip time.

i would be very surprised if any intersections had a 5minute cycle too. it may feel like 5min while you are sitting there though. if your schedule is so tight that 5min makes a difference, then you need to plan better.

every road user has just as much right to be there as the next guy. its all a privilege and the road is there to be shared. too many vigilantes.

if someone was trying to merge and some holden driver purposely stopped them, there would be threads on here about the idiot holden driver!!!! seems many can dish it out but can't take it.
As soon as you see a merge sign, you should attempt to merge as soon as you can do so safely, merging early gives you a chance to match speed with the other lane and execute the merge safely with minimal disruption to the traffic flow of the continuing lane. Thats why the put the signs where they do.
By trying to 'use both lanes for as long as possible' people inevitbly misjudge how much distance it will take to merge and end up having to stop and wait for someone in the right lane to stop and let them in, this screws up the flow of the right lane.

While its not difficult to let people in, its also not difficult to merge early and take your place like nearly everyone else does.

When I've come up to a lane closure and merged into a lane of stopped traffic, then crawled along for 5 minutes to get past the roadworks why shouldn't the smartarse that zipped up the empty left lane because it was quicker have to wait just like everyone else??

Bottom line, if you are legitimately trying to merge, I'll let you in no problems, but if you're blatantly jumping the queue expect to be blocked. Why do I get the feeling you fall into the latter category.
brendo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #29
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo83
. Why do I get the feeling you fall into the latter category.
you should never make assumptions. if everyone treated others how they themselves would like to be treated, the world would be a happier place.
Old 27-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #30
dave289
Banned

When I was much younger, I remember going out for a cruise with some greek mates and there would be a convoy of 3 or 4 cars. They would play "dog the scaby", which when pulled up at a set of lights you would often have a cab driver pull up on the inside lane to try and blow everyone off. These guys would accelarate to fast for the cab driver to keep up or get in front of them, the others would stay so close to him that the cab driver could not get in, by the time the inside lane had ended the traffic had then sped up and the taxi driver could not get in and then would be stuck there as all the other traffic was now flowing to fast for him to get in, had never seen it done before at the time , but they had it down to a tee and it worked quite well. Sorry for my childish childhood story but just thought I would share that with you guys while we're on the subject of letting people in.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post